Which area in Sydney?

HarrietE

Well you had better get a wiggle on............many of the nicer places will be fully booked or filling up fast by now.

I suggest trying the YHA in The Rocks: 110 Cumberland Street, The Rocks, Sydney: https://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/sydney-harbour/

Otherwise maybe try Glebe or Potts Point / Elizabeth Bay, as these are still near the action, but quieter locations than the CBD city or Kings Cross:

http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/travel/features/11932/ten-best-hostels-in-sydney

Depends what you want. Personally I would avoid Manly, as the hostels there have a reputation of heavy drinking and partying. But if you like that 24/7 then it would be the perfect place for you.

I should be in Manly!

I don't know if hostels get booked up in Sydney other than over Xmas New Year when everyone wants to have Xmas on Bondi Beach (I did it myself for the first time last Xmas) and NYE fireworks.

I favour the area around Central but I'm biased because I live there and my one hostel experience was at the YHA at Central, a very good experience too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told by a lot of people to try to avoid Kings X if possible..

Potts Point is a quieter and safer area - just round the corner from Kings X.

Having said that, I lived and worked in Kings X for many months and never felt scared or threatened and I use to wander back from the pub solo at night. Whereas I still get very nervous around Central Station area both during the day and night. There is a backpackers next to Central and since I hate Central - I would avoid that backpackers like the plague.

Potts Point and Glebe are both decent areas within walking distance of the CBD. Glebe is full of students too; so makes it more fun. Has good cafes, restaurants and bars.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Australia_and_Oceania/Australia/State_of_New_South_Wales/Sydney-1869538/Warnings_or_Dangers-Sydney-King_Cross-BR-1.html

I'm staying in YHA Railway Square for the first two weeks. It's also in a good location. )

It is in a terrible location. Right next to Central Station which is the a*** end of the universe in my opinion.

But it is also next to Chinatown and centrally located for walking into the CBD. And has got some excellent reviews. So probably a good choice.

Potts Point is a quieter and safer area - just round the corner from Kings X.

Having said that, I lived and worked in Kings X for many months and never felt scared or threatened and I use to wander back from the pub solo at night. Whereas I still get very nervous around Central Station area both during the day and night. There is a backpackers next to Central and since I hate Central - I would avoid that backpackers like the plague.

Potts Point and Glebe are both decent areas within walking distance of the CBD. Glebe is full of students too; so makes it more fun. Has good cafes, restaurants and bars.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Australia_and_Oceania/Australia/State_of_New_South_Wales/Sydney-1869538/Warnings_or_Dangers-Sydney-King_Cross-BR-1.html

It's not been my experience that the area around Central is unpleasant. It's not 'rundown' in any way. It's not known for crime. There are plenty of people about even late at night. I've been living back in Surry Hills for the last seven years and rarely felt threatened or scared about walking through the tunnel, or on any of the main streets - Chalmers St, Eddy Ave, Pitt St, George St, Broadway. I regularly walk around late at night, after midnight.

It's not been my experience that the area around Central is unpleasant. It's not 'rundown' in any way. It's not known for crime. There are plenty of people about even late at night. I've been living back in Surry Hills for the last seven years and rarely felt threatened or scared about walking through the tunnel, or on any of the main streets - Chalmers St, Eddy Ave, Pitt St, George St, Broadway. I regularly walk around late at night, after midnight.

Well we are all different. Different ages. Different sexes. Different levels of confidence. Different levels of street wise. And so all our experiences will be different.

The area around Central is extremely rundown in my view. And every time I go to the area nowadays, I always get harassed by a mental unstable lunatic or homeless people wanting money. I never experienced either of these things in Kings X; but other people may do. I think I have the sort of face and aura that attracts nutters! So I am only speaking from my own experiences of when I worked at Central and my daily interaction with the place.

Masses of people around Pitt and George Streets late at night, so pretty safe I agree. But I would not be strolling around the other side of Central station (especially Belmore Park area) late at night, as it is away from the crowds.

Each to their own anyway.

With the help of the wonders of Google and the internet, I can confirm that the Comm Bank branch in the City is closer to Nate's Place! This is walking but you can get a no 325 bus from William Street to Castlereagh Street if you prefer to do that.

From 141 William St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

To Park St & Castlereagh St, Sydney NSW 2000

• E0+Sjw5sSh7FJdP8CcGOABt4EHlM7D0KF6KaeRoAwdDQpOY+Adft2vpLH+lYAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

• AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

• HnWgeGeFqjOmhsWgYlENiM2h+ZVQzSWJVrjgBQDc1CtRS+KRywAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

• 8usVkhxAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,kmeqyfTIHXZIpOr66pa10NG5eMEtkZB5tmkhjlctj0CtH72n9Wbexj4Un8yJT8o8CqPsrfvBKWnUNNK-pX4avI5LKqs4G3GI-vHm-B2fFvokkFzL6XnUuk30LT1W8cEAcCZJRjr-03uPFKu9sagyyDU,hEBC-DtTS5vVGDagwqfEAkJ69Y8ZVOn5TfXfrPHSXeOcMr9pQkw7nZfdnt4vSvytNowWg6Qk0ztMQaIb-MboE0u0dsB1aqS5Znyh8Y2T4MHUs-0KKCo-QZGya5vq0cAseKyTYBeyFuKyMkOF_wUlwyvkTw1Ki9MKQrtwQXAaCsXRczJyO62zoCzePCwvPoTT9Gap1TzIWzyQ6eblOBVRAKG0RFcA7a9ZD-6OY-w_4zXrIn2bCn23XZ9yw_LmnodagneUtY9rGHY1xYcJp9HIsLvRmyQET8_Xbl1xArFy0GAiHQfjPfDpv9aU4MUBntrd-n4fDRaARGmqCtNvql5zp_ubscV71SMipUQHOC74uO1HlxGZr4Cp8htxZptcb8P_WhMHn0jp8DcOBvSHLr2r9yPc66jT9MevuVEh-N3CJYmb&scale=1&h=200&w=555

12 min (850.0 m) via William St and Park St

Directions

141 William St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

Head west on William St toward Bourke St

550 m

Continue onto Park St

300 m

Park St & Castlereagh St, Sydney NSW 2000

These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

From 28 Macleay St, Elizabeth Bay NSW 2011

To Nate's Place Backpackers, 141 William Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

Closed nowSee opening hours

• E0+Sjw5sSh7FJdP8CcGOABt4EHlM7D0KF6KaeRoAwdDQpOY+Adft2vpLH+lYAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

• AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

• HnWgeGeFqjOmhsWgYlENiM2h+ZVQzSWJVrjgBQDc1CtRS+KRywAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

• 8usVkhxAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,nIijGgNcI-3mH1diYe7NzAzhiRT_WLUaJc1XZ9LoHQl63AAE6JIEfOnbrJjv3ohQvswMo7p6JIwuDPkp_C0sxkWuuxOmiqsiQ04vnBIMjeWMiQFz3yui0BohDI49-R5qZNIGYcPAv8NTLhXtZaVnljY,bXzQYQff2xT6p1y_5bexYhD0Hl_Zjo9tGaYrUbW3JR81kvZw3VkpPtNDUKQ4XPm4awaWWszbPn1wbw9r0AwiABUoeGx7jwLpcZQUpVYOlB1-3DKCoXS-1P1PC9klQu34I0lM7PToIjcJZaCMlHVIYyqGfGmbrfmQux29md_txF2JrpH9S40KRlZDdydpT9IMjpQ7BkXM_FVg1rkfjtiJfMVn7dCsqP81mo0PF8thg5y-S7REgjz8zfVCz87GuFeBp2d434b3KWNigUc73SPe-Kct6ss7bWPsUVKCTKMdEHaFSHWZTaLe3_0nav2BXgvRjOA2zECTiJ1p8WChlVduws-qu5pMIlYf7iMKBi5x31c26DHqYMKBDuOWlup3K4zsY4EV0O9NtYOditMPLtSHgfDX9tnfQNXaxFjqK3cQ&scale=1&h=200&w=555

14 min (1.1 km) via Macleay St, Darlinghurst Rd and William St

Directions

28 Macleay St, Elizabeth Bay NSW 2011

Head south on Macleay St toward Manning St

350 m

Continue onto Darlinghurst Rd

350 m

Slight right to stay on Darlinghurst Rd

41 m

Turn right onto William StDestination will be on the left

350 m

Nate's Place Backpackers, 141 William Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

15 min (1.2 km) via William St

28 Macleay St, Elizabeth Bay NSW 2011

Head south on Macleay St toward Manning St

260 m

Turn right onto Orwell St

200 m

Turn left onto Victoria St

230 m

Turn right toward Brougham St

71 m

Turn left onto Brougham St

150 m

Turn right onto William StDestination will be on the left

290 m

Nate's Place Backpackers, 141 William Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010

19 min (1.4 km) via Brougham S

Thanks Mary - I've gone for the one near the town hall (i think) haha