Options for my 17 year old daughter

Cherries

has anyone else arrived with there 17 year old and they have gone straight back into education?

My daughter has done year 1 at College and completed her AS levels in the UK. We hope to arrive in Oz November now. Due to her age would she be able to complete year 12 and then go to TAFE ??

Thanks if anyone can offer and advice,,

Wouldn't be advisable; year 11 and 12 are basically part of a two year syllabus like A levels. She'd be hard pressed to complete effectively both years in one. Either complete A levels in the UK, or go into year 11 and do the whole course.

If she wanted to do some kind of vocational course at TAFE then she might not need year 12, check with course providers.

Let her finish A levels then keep all her options open. She could go straight to TAFE to do yrs 11/12 if you're absolutely desperate to bring her but I'd be looking at boarding her with relatives/friends to finish A levels then if she wants Uni she's got UK without international fees or Aus to choose from. It's only going to be another 6 months so it seems silly to screw it all up.

Thanks for the replies, the problem is is that she doesn't want to stay here in the UK, she's found it difficult with certain things which I won't go into but she wants to make a new start and so we are happy as a family to go ahead with this. My other daughter is staying in the UK till next year as she is completing her HND course, so we aren't ignoring the good education they have here and understand the importance of letting them complete courses etc etc.

I think I shall approach the high schools out there and see what my options are. Thanks

In Victoria (I assume it's similar in other states), to get a VCE qualification and an ATAR score (eg to go to uni) your daughter would need to complete 16 units of education. As pointed out above, that would be difficult to achieve in Y12 only as she would effectively have to complete 8 subjects (most students take between 4 and 6 in one year). BUT my understanding is that you can apply to obtain 'credit' for overseas studies, which might mean her UK education can count towards some of these 16 units. I'm not sure of the process, as don't know anyone who has done it.

Even if you could get credit for UK education, it might be worth encouraging your daughter to re-do Y11 in Australia anyway, to give her time to get over the inevitable stress of emigrating. Also give her chance to make some friends in a low stress year. In Y11 you only need to pass the units, as they do not count towards the final ATAR score. She can have a relaxing year first before commencing Y12. Our son going through Y12 now and it is a full-on year .... quite stressful, as they are required to take SAC exams almost from day one of the new term (which do count towards final score).

It really does depend on what future career she is wanting Which way would be best to proceed. If she wants a career in something that needs a degree she'll need an atar so doing yr12 and yr 11 will most likely be needed. If she is particularly gifted academically she could maybe just do yr 12 but it would be a difficult and very hard year. I'm not really sure if it's even allowed though to be fair. If she wants to have a more trade like career or something that doesn't need a degree then going straight to Tafe could be an option. I think your best option would be contacting schools and Tafe colleges in the area you're likely to settle in for some detailed advice would be your best bet to narrow down her options. Good luck.

It's not an ideal situation and the best thing would be for her to stay and complete her A levels as they transfer very well to Aus for uni, but if she's determined to leave there is a way, in Victoria at least, to have her GCSE grades assessed as being 'equivalent to satisfactory completion of year 11', then she could just do year 12 if she's reluctant to do year 11 again (although that would be the best way to go if she wants to move).

I'm not sure if it's the same in other states, but it was definitely the advice given to us when we were looking at possibly having to go back to Melbourne. A friend of ours who is a teacher in Melbourne told us about it and it was backed up by the schools we approached. The only problem was that none of them could tell us exactly how it would happen.

In the end we felt it was too much of a risk to take, knowing that our daughter had a definite uni course she wanted, but it may be something for you to look at? Contact some schools plus the education dept for your state and ask them.

Thanks for the replies, the problem is is that she doesn't want to stay here in the UK, she's found it difficult with certain things which I won't go into but she wants to make a new start and so we are happy as a family to go ahead with this. My other daughter is staying in the UK till next year as she is completing her HND course, so we aren't ignoring the good education they have here and understand the importance of letting them complete courses etc etc.

I think I shall approach the high schools out there and see what my options are. Thanks

Fact is 17 year olds don't always know what is best for them. I am not a parent, but I am academic as were my siblings and I know that me and my younger sister both made wrong decisions in these crucial years due to incorrect or in our case, absent parental guidance. I am 45 now and I still think that better decisions could have been made. For the sake of seven months, I just don't get why you wouldn't do your daughter a huge favour and delay the move. Even if she doesn't know it is a huge favour.

Fact is 17 year olds don't always know what is best for them. I am not a parent, but I am academic as were my siblings and I know that me and my younger sister both made wrong decisions in these crucial years due to incorrect or in our case, absent parental guidance. I am 45 now and I still think that better decisions could have been made. For the sake of seven months, I just don't get why you wouldn't do your daughter a huge favour and delay the move. Even if she doesn't know it is a huge favour.

This exactly.

How did she do in her ASs? If she did well it'd be such a shame to disrupt her for the sake of seven months. If she's on course for really good A level results, the world will be her oyster.

If she did badly I guess there's not so much of a problem. At least she wouldn't have to retake any next year along with her A2s, or repeat year 12 here!

I'm guessing that as the OP has commented that there are other difficulties for her daughter that she doesn't want to go in to, then it's a decision that isn't being made lightly or without her best interests at heart.

I'm guessing that as the OP has commented that there are other difficulties for her daughter that she doesn't want to go in to, then it's a decision that isn't being made lightly or without her best interests at heart.

I'm sure that's the case, but there are quite a few of us who have been in a similar situation and have had to look at every option available, some of which aren't immediately obvious.

It's such a difficult decision to make - getting different perspectives and opinions from those of us who have had to make similar decisions can be helpful even if they're not what she wants to hear.

It's only advice, or alternative views, and its up to them to make the decision they feel is right for their daughter, which is all any of us can do with the information we have at a given time.

My mantra is 'there's always a way forward', so I'm sure whatever decision they make, their daughter will be ok. It's just that sometimes the road can be trickier to navigate.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. We are not making this decision lightly, we have looked at many avenues to let both my children get the best start in there young lives. My eldest at 19 is staying and completing her HND and will come over next year. We have thrashed out the best route for my youngest of 17, she's very mature and she feels strongly about making a new start and we totally respect both her and her older sisters decisions, we can only advise as best as we can. I know for sure that when I was 17 I didn't really know what I wanted to do, she does however feel passionate about her future and we have researched the possibilities of pursuing this when we move and things look positive.

we we can only support her now and be there for her 100% all the way, I truly believe we are a pretty level headed family and we will get through this smiling (fingers crossed !!)

i shall get in touch with local education authorities and see what they have to say but thanks again everyone

Thank you everyone for your opinions. We are not making this decision lightly, we have looked at many avenues to let both my children get the best start in there young lives. My eldest at 19 is staying and completing her HND and will come over next year. We have thrashed out the best route for my youngest of 17, she's very mature and she feels strongly about making a new start and we totally respect both her and her older sisters decisions, we can only advise as best as we can. I know for sure that when I was 17 I didn't really know what I wanted to do, she does however feel passionate about her future and we have researched the possibilities of pursuing this when we move and things look positive.

we we can only support her now and be there for her 100% all the way, I truly believe we are a pretty level headed family and we will get through this smiling (fingers crossed !!)

i shall get in touch with local education authorities and see what they have to say but thanks again everyone ?

I was schooled in Perth, and we did have some older students in year 11 and 12. We also had some that messed up for one reason or another, and re did them at tafe. There are options if that's what you need to do. Good luck.

I've approached the Senior College for advice on her doing HSC quals, the admin assistant was lovely and the college we are looking to complete the 2 years is adjacent to the Tafe and the University. She can start year 11 in January 2016 so this is what we shall be doing. The college has really good reviews and my daughter is looking fwd to making the move and starting school.

Thanks Again all who took the time to reply.

debbie x

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure which state you are moving too, but look at International Schools or those that offer international baccalaurate syllabus, they tend to work better for students moving at this late stage (I work at one and our senior students seem to transition very well), and students don't have to go back a year because of their DOB. Or as an earlier poster said, look for a Senior College that just offers year 11 & 12.

I'm not sure which state you are moving too, but look at International Schools or those that offer international baccalaurate syllabus, they tend to work better for students moving at this late stage (I work at one and our senior students seem to transition very well), and students don't have to go back a year because of their DOB. Or as an earlier poster said, look for a Senior College that just offers year 11 & 12.

Alternatively, if there is something she is very keen to study at TAFE, there may be a pathway for her now - you could contact the TAFE in the areas you plan to move to, or a Central TAFE, to find out.

i shall get in touch with local education authorities and see what they have to say but thanks again everyone ?

Hi mate,

Im also a british living in Australia, my friend was in exactly the same situation as she completed as level but not a2 and moved, she got into a diploma course and has now finished her degree. What she did was provided her AS certificate and mentioned on her school letter head saying she has completed her YEAR 12 as she did because its year 12 in australia and year 13 in UK, so she got into TAFE. I have another mate who only completed GCSE and came to australia and got into Diploma of dental technology where the requirement was YEAR 12, all he did was not give his certificate and made his own school letter head and lied he has completed a levels but the funny thing is he got in and is now earning over 50k.

Conclusion is my friend there are many ways to get into a course if your daughter plays her cards right. Hope this helps as i shared my friends stories.

Good Luck with your move. :)

I've approached the Senior College for advice on her doing HSC quals, the admin assistant was lovely and the college we are looking to complete the 2 years is adjacent to the Tafe and the University. She can start year 11 in January 2016 so this is what we shall be doing. The college has really good reviews and my daughter is looking fwd to making the move and starting school.

Thanks Again all who took the time to reply.

debbie x

She's a lucky girl. What an amazing country this is to be 17 in!

Archived