100k for a family of 5 in Sydney?

Stan

it seems like a huge step in my career

This is actually an interesting angle. If it is a huge step up, why would you do it for an equivalent or harder lifestyle. But if it is just a small step, maybe you could expect bigger steps up when you get to Australia. Also you'd need to ask yourself what was the potential for getting a second income which could transform your situation?

On $100k, I would say forget it. But if there is a prospect of more to come, then that might change into a maybe.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you all for your helpful input. Looks like most people would recommend us not to bother. However, since some of you think it is possible and doable, there's also this scary part: :)

Yes, the job is waiting for me, it has actually found me (I never really considered living in Australia) and it seems like a huge step in my career, but when you have a family, personal ambition sometimes needs to yeild to higher purposes and one needs to think pragmatically...

Question the motives of the people who are trying to dissuade you not to consider moving to Sydney.

If they are happily living here but think that your new job is on too low a salary, then PERHAPS listen to them, but do your own research.

Tell the company in Sydney about your concerns. They might offer some more incentives?

Do you know which part of the City you woud be working? Its might be feasible to live in the same area, and cut your commuting costs in time and money.

If the people who are telling you not to come, are either A) living in Sydney and hate it, or B) living back in the UK, because they hated it in Sydney, well, I am a Spurs fan. What sort of advice do you think I would get about buying a season ticket from an Arsenal fan?

And here's another thing. Don't discount the lifestyle factor. I've lived here so longer I don't even think about it. I just LIVE here. But every time I ask a Pommie guy or girl what they like about life in Oz, they invariably talk about lifestyle, the weather, the Sunshine, the beaches. It's been cold here this week but it's also been sunny every day. I had a swim on Monday at Red Leaf a beach on the harbour. Google it!

The wind was chill and the water, but not unbearable and the sun was gorgeous. We're in the third month of winter. It's spring in three weeks. What chance would u have of enjoying Ac winter swim in February in the UK?

Thank you all for your helpful input. Looks like most people would recommend us not to bother. However, since some of you think it is possible and doable, there's also this scary part: :)

Yes, the job is waiting for me, it has actually found me (I never really considered living in Australia) and it seems like a huge step in my career, but when you have a family, personal ambition sometimes needs to yeild to higher purposes and one needs to think pragmatically...

What do you do for a living? In what way do you think this is a huge step? Not saying that you are but don't confuse being in a different country as being a big career step..

Just to Maryrose point on who is commenting, I thought I would confirm. We are back in the UK, after five years living in Sydney, which we loved. I ran a big team there and within my profession, $100k would be quite a lowly salary, what the juniors would earn. That is why I am asking what you do for a living, it certainly might be worth checking that you are getting market rates.

Question the motives of the people who are trying to dissuade you not to consider moving to Sydney.

What possible ulterior motives would we have? I just want to offer the benefit of my experience five years ago struggling to support a family of five in Melbourne (which is cheaper than Sydney) on a slightly higher salary. My conclusion is that this would be no way to live. I want to save the OP from doing this without fully understanding what he would be in for.

Is there much scope for career (and salary) progression once you get there? If so, and it's something you'd love to do, then I might be tempted. It also depends on which visa you'd be on and whether you'd be paying school fees or get some govt assistance with living expenses. Would there be help with relocation and set up expenses?

Like some of the other posters, I don't think it's a great salary for a family of 5 in Sydney. It's the same size as mine and I wouldn't want to live on it, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible, especially if you're already used to counting the pennies.

Sydney is a beautiful city and is quite cheap to get around with kids using public transport and there's usually quite a lot of free activities going on at weekends, but that is countered by lots of things being much more expensive. As others have said, school uniform, school stationery, shoes can really set you back a few hundred dollars for each child. You can look at school websites to get an idea of how much uniform etc is.

Would your wife be working? If so, childcare can be very expensive too.

I'd make a list of your outgoings for where you're living now, then start researching how much the equivalent would be in Sydney.

Also take into account your work travel expenses. Would you be driving? If so, where from? There are lots of toll roads into the city which can really add to your outgoings, so choosing the area you want to live in is important too.

What possible ulterior motives would we have? I just want to offer the benefit of my experience five years ago struggling to support a family of five in Melbourne (which is cheaper than Sydney) on a slightly higher salary. My conclusion is that this would be no way to live. I want to save the OP from doing this without fully understanding what he would be in for.

Perhaps but "Struggle" is subjective. On one level, I am "struggling" but I know that without tightening my financial belt more than a notch, my "struggle" woukd be over. In any case, I have zero debt., other than my Visa which is only a 24 hour UK bank transfer from paying off.

Two families or two singles on the same salaries might have completely different lifestyles, one in debt, the other flourishing.

Perhaps I have too romantic a view of life here, though there was nothing romantic about my early years here. Six day weeks, 17-5 percent mortgage rate, studying for BA part time and working full time.

You don't have tu come to OZ for a good life but once the seed has been planted in your mind, you are different to people who never give a thought to migrating. Maybe the seed won't grow, maybe it will become a fine tree.

Anyway, bottom line, go back to the statistics for people leaving England for OZ.

When the flow of refugees turns from a trickle to a flood I might start to worry.

What do you do for a living? In what way do you think this is a huge step?

I curently work as a school teacher (which is OK...), in Sydney I would work as a university lecturer (which is what I always wanted to dot). I have a PhD, which I did 4 years ago, but in an area which is very difficult to find work in. I tried all over the world, didn't get much, and I know that time is not on my side, since as years go by I'm getting more and more out of touch with research, scholarship, etc., since I have to devote a lot of time to the current job (and the family, of course). So I'm afraid it's a now-or-never situation.

The way we worked it out when we were comparing costs in the Uk to Aus was to put all of our incomings and outgoings in the UK as a percentage of our wages. Then, we did as much homework as we could to find out the costs of equivalent in Aus - worked those out as a percentage of the wage we had been offered in Aus.

This allowed us to look at what percentages we were using/spending on what in the UK, and compare them to what it would be in Aus for a comparable lifestyle. E.g. rent being 20% of total monthly wage, food 10% etc etc... (plucked figures out of air)

This worked out perfectly for us, we came and had very few surprises.... maybe try it OP? it would be a good way to compare YOUR lifestyle to what you could get in Sydney. If the percentage outgoings start being considerably more for items like rent, food, clothing etc then you have a pretty good idea whether you will be able to afford it or not. The trick is to be realistic about what you currently spend so that you get an accurate picture of your current standings to compare against.

To other questions: I would work at CBD, would have to live in a suburb and commute by public transport (working hours would be 9-5, so I suppose driving could be ruled out), but would need a car for the rest of the gang while I'm at work, I suppose.

Thanks again for all your replies!

I curently work as a school teacher (which is OK...), in Sydney I would work as a university lecturer (which is what I always wanted to dot). I have a PhD, which I did 4 years ago, but in an area which is very difficult to find work in. I tried all over the world, didn't get much, and I know that time is not on my side, since as years go by I'm getting more and more out of touch with research, scholarship, etc., since I have to devote a lot of time to the current job (and the family, of course). So I'm afraid it's a now-or-never situation.

Fair enough. In that case I can understand the attraction. So all that remains is for you to ensure that your family do not suffer because of your career aspirations. So how does living on equivalent of £200 a week after rent /mortgage compare to your current situation? It is what you and your wife think to that which matters.

If they are happily living here but think that your new job is on too low a salary, then PERHAPS listen to them, but do your own research.

Tell the company in Sydney about your concerns. They might offer some more incentives?

Do you know which part of the City you woud be working? Its might be feasible to live in the same area, and cut your commuting costs in time and money.

If the people who are telling you not to come, are either A) living in Sydney and hate it, or B) living back in the UK, because they hated it in Sydney, well, I am a Spurs fan. What sort of advice do you think I would get about buying a season ticket from an Arsenal fan?

And here's another thing. Don't discount the lifestyle factor. I've lived here so longer I don't even think about it. I just LIVE here. But every time I ask a Pommie guy or girl what they like about life in Oz, they invariably talk about lifestyle, the weather, the Sunshine, the beaches. It's been cold here this week but it's also been sunny every day. I had a swim on Monday at Red Leaf a beach on the harbour. Google it!

The wind was chill and the water, but not unbearable and the sun was gorgeous. We're in the third month of winter. It's spring in three weeks. What chance would u have of enjoying Ac winter swim in February in the UK?

I don't see anyone trying to dissuade anyone from living in Sydney, what I do see is people giving their opinion about what life would be like on the wage stated. You on the other hand go on endlessly about how life in Sydney is just paradise. Who cares what the weather is like if you aren't earning enough to enjoy life ?

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't see anyone trying to dissuade anyone from living in Sydney, what I do see is people giving their opinion about what life would be like on the wage stated. You on the other hand go on endlessly about how life in Sydney is just paradise. Who cares what the weather is like if you aren't earning enough to enjoy life ?

Did you actually read what he said. He actually said if people who love Sydney are saying it's hard then it will be.

Did you actually read what he said. He actually said if people who love Sydney are saying it's hard then it will be.

Yes I did read what he wrote and still don't see anyone trying to dissuade them from going to Sydney, only that it may be very tight on that money.

I curently work as a school teacher (which is OK...), in Sydney I would work as a university lecturer (which is what I always wanted to dot). I have a PhD, which I did 4 years ago, but in an area which is very difficult to find work in.

University lecturers tend to have short tenure with no guarantee of renewal. If you are in an area where it is difficult to find work, that would be a worry. On the other hand, if you are a school teacher you would always be able to find work - but teacher salaries in Australia are not as high as the one you are coming over for. I would say the clincher would be whether your partner could work - if so, as what and when?

Guest The Pom Queen

@Stan I would never tell someone not to come, nor would I want to shatter any dreams. I am one who always takes chances, what I will say is you have been provided some great advice here and at least you know what you will be going in to. Try not to burn all your bridges just in case.

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes I did read what he wrote and still don't see anyone trying to dissuade them from going to Sydney, only that it may be very tight on that money.

Maybe he could have worded it better but I read it to mean ignore the oz haters and listen to people who are happy in Oz and are still advising it to be a bad move.

Maybe he could have worded it better but I read it to mean ignore the oz haters and listen to people who are happy in Oz and are still advising it to be a bad move.

Well it was very badly worded then. He said PERHAPS listen these people even though they loved living there, only PERHAPS listen to them. He capitalised not me. My point was that no one was trying to dissuade anyone, only forewarn.

Well it was very badly worded then. He said PERHAPS listen these people even though they loved living there, only PERHAPS listen to them. He capitalised not me. My point was that no one was trying to dissuade anyone, only forewarn.

Did you even read Chorltepusses first reply ?

If that is not trying to dissuade someone I don't know what is.

Did you even read Chorltepusses first reply ?

If that is not trying to dissuade someone I don't know what is.

Yes just read it again. He said he knows singles have a good life on that amount but not a family. Is it better or worse to say that or to go on about the beaches and how it isn't cold in the winter ?

I am far from frugal though. My bar and restaurant 'Clipp' account for last night in the Strawberry Hills hotel, was $70, then there is coffee at least twice a day in cafes, sometimes lunch too, and multiply that by 7, and you and everybody else except me can see a problem.

I imagine most families, and many singles, would not be aping my lifestyle and budget. Twenty years ago, I went out two, maybe three nights a week.

Why am I following this present lifestyle? Because I can. Because I'm prepared to dip into my savings to pay off my Visa. Because the FX rate for GBP is favourable. Because I can't stand staying in on my own.

I doubt my brother and his wife ever topped 100K, raising their kids, paying their mortgage. We can all make economies.

I know it is harder, much harder for anyone with a family to uproot themselves and travel 10 000 miles, but when it's so hard to get a visa and you have a job in demand, I hate the thought of someone who says,

"We had the chance to go to Sydney but people who hated it there put us off with their horror stories. "

Although I'm sure I read in a previous post of yours where you mentioned getting by on $300 a week. Even being rent free most would regard that as living close enough to frugal. Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with that.

Sydney is a very expensive city. No getting around that fact. With kids in tow I would say while $100,000 is of course doable it is not desirable. Why come out here to live in one of the worlds most expensive cities to survive?

I would say the clincher would be whether your partner could work - if so, as what and when?

No, the wife would not be working for another 3-4 years, this is how we live now and how we would like to maintain it, especially given the cost of childcare.

Quinkla - I wouldn't be interested in teaching at school in Australia, it is only the university position that would be attractive. Issues such as good weather are of little importance - in fact, we don't like the heat too much and are happy with the European weather (we don't live in UK at the moment). So it's really all about the career move - compromise with reality (staying where we are and working at school, with no great prospects of change in this matter), or following a dream and starting to climb up on the university ladder. But when there's 5 of us, following a dream is not the only priority...

Yes just read it again. He said he knows singles have a good life on that amount but not a family. Is it better or worse to say that or to go on about the beaches and how it isn't cold in the winter ?

So writing you'd be bonkers to come over to Australia anywhere for $100K

You do not consider that trying to dissuade someone ???

I will only say my son (23 yrs old) has just started a graduate position with a large company here in Australia his starting salary is 80 k. He has only just graduated a few weeks ago so your salary does not seem very high. To be fair he is in Melbourne though. He is happy with it of course but he doesn't have a family and his partner works. I think you'd struggle in Sydney though.

So writing you'd be bonkers to come over to Australia anywhere for $100K

You do not consider that trying to dissuade someone ???

It is their opinion of what is needed in Australia. Whether that would dissuade someone is an individual thing. We lived for less than that but we had a tiny mortgage.

It was relatively easy to live in Sydney on one salary 28 years ago when we moved there. But the cost of renting a decent house in a decent suburb in Sydney these days will be pretty high. Are you receiving assistance with accommodation from your employer here?

Archived