Countdown to Abbottmageddon

Harpodom

Some of us have been waiting patiently, biding our time, til the end of Abbott's tenure as (allegedly) prime minister of Australia. I've even spent that time wisely, gaining citizenship in order to fulfill my civic duty and duty to my family and vote out the most toxic, incompetent, absolute WORST government in Australian political history.

The polls have NEVER had his govt in front ever since the budget last year (which, considering Bill Shorten is opposition leader, you've got to admit is pi$$ poor).

Considering Shorten (who is AS unpopular as Abbott) has fronted the Union bashing Royal Commission, considering Abbott has played the dog whistling homeland security card for all its worth, the LNP still lags behind 46 to 54%

So, what will you be doing to celebrate the end of the worst government in history?

I might accept 'fourth' worst, after Whitlam, KRUDD and JULIAR, but in any case, as long as the ALP are proving themselves to be incompetent and increasingly out of touch with the 'middle Australia' whose vote they need, then I think you might be disappointed after the next election.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have been here fast approaching a year and I find the politics here a huge turn off due to being very amateur. Firstly most mp's are sheep, so heavily whipped they simply won't express their own opinions. Abbott, maybe best of a bad bunch however poor communications, reactive not proactive and gives the impression of being near powerless. Shorten, wow what a joke, presents extremely poorly and clueless, a little like a sulky kid and clearly is ruled by the unions.

I believe Australia is weaker without a globally respected leader, somebody with vision and determination and somebody who can present their arguement convincingly. Abbott is not this, a minno on the world stage unlike some enthusiastic leaders of some of the worlds smaller nations.

Do not believe Labor are written off, just look at our QLD election......that did not go well and now QLD look like a joke with worse to come.

S

Why does it matter what other countries think of Australia, and where is your proof that Abbott is a 'minno' (sic) on the world stage? I need only look at Australia's position on the 'league table' of countries and their economies, to see what the world really thinks of us, or look at the numbers of people who still want to come here.

Why does it matter what other countries think of Australia, and where is your proof that Abbott is a 'minno' (sic) on the world stage? I need only look at Australia's position on the 'league table' of countries and their economies, to see what the world really thinks of us, or look at the numbers of people who still want to come here.

Abbott is even ridiculed here, he is a total joke. Will you stop going on constantly about 'how many people want to come here', seriously people will still go to a country regardless of politics.

I agree re Shorten, he stands for nothing and inspires no one, not even himself. He is essentially a walking wet fart*.

Albanese would be far more popular with the voters and IMO he would romp it home. The polls still suggest a comfortable ALP victory even with Shorten.

*which makes Abbott a rectal prolapse inducing dose of dysentery.

That's the funniest comment I've ever came across :-) Resulted in an outburst of laughter!!! Though the outlook for Australia is dim with politicians with the charisma of laxatives

That's the funniest comment I've ever came across :-) Resulted in an outburst of laughter!!! Though the outlook for Australia is dim with politicians with the charisma of laxatives

We've done OK so far, 'stopped the boats' and ended the carbon tax, and now Scott Morrison has turned his attention to all those 'lifestyle' bludgers on disability pensions. It's just a pity those ALP numskulls have landed us with such a huge debt. The more pragmatic and sensible members of the ALP, still too few of them cut from the same cloth as Bob Hawke and Paul Keating, are trying to reform their party.

Tony Abbott won't loose the next election, the only people who could shift him in the next few years are his own party. Labour here seem no more capable of putting together an electable manifesto than Labour do in the UK. The left is appealing too much to tree hugging vegan, pacifists than it is its traditional working man down the pub electorate.

Abbott is even ridiculed here, he is a total joke. Will you stop going on constantly about 'how many people want to come here', seriously people will still go to a country regardless of politics.

BS! I don't just read Fairfax and watch the ABC. They HATE Abbott so much they are incapable of objectivity.

Does that mean that Murdoch LOVES Abbott? No, and they give him a serve if he deserves it.

I've seen the polls. I know Abbott f@cked up but I remember how happy the Abbot haters were earlier this year hoping Turnbull would replace him. What happened to their dreams?

Turnbull's time came and went- he is a yesterdays man now. Bill Shorten is unelectable, they need to get someone new but I can't see that there is anyone there at the moment.

I agree, but so is Abbott, and that didn't stop him becoming PM, did it?

I don't think Labor would change leaders before the next election.

They were so damaged by the Rudd/Gillard challenges they won't want to go through that again.

Shorten will take on Abbott at the next election that is certain.

I suspect you're right, it will be Shorten - whether it will be against Abbott is another matter. I can't help feeling that the polls will remain as they are or get worse for the LNP, and the Libs will realise 6-8 months from an election that Abbott is just too much of a liability and renders the LNP nigh-on unelectable, so he will be dumped and replaced - by Scott Morrison rather than Malcolm Turnbull.

Liberal election strategists must be feeling even now that to devise an election campaign involving Abbott is next to impossible: how can he present a manifesto and make election promises without looking ridiculous?

Labour here seem no more capable of putting together an electable manifesto than Labour do in the UK.

Not sure about that - Labor's recent policy announcements on tax and super etc are very sensible. If they propose something similar on negative gearing to address the housing affordability issue they would be very difficult to argue against coherently. They have made a bit of a mess of the marriage equality issue but I doubt that will feature heavily in the election.

We've done OK so far, 'stopped the boats' and ended the carbon tax, and now Scott Morrison has turned his attention to all those 'lifestyle' bludgers on disability pensions. It's just a pity those ALP numskulls have landed us with such a huge debt. The more pragmatic and sensible members of the ALP, still too few of them cut from the same cloth as Bob Hawke and Paul Keating, are trying to reform their party.

Not sure what done ok can be judged a success by any line of thinking. By far the worst government in living memory and things get steadily worse. Talking about numbskulls, Abbott a man that loves to surround himself in the flag, wasn't even clued into how many points are represented on the national flag. A lite weight if ever but a highly destructive one.

Guest littlesarah

I find it depressing that the electorate is faced with voting for whoever they believe to be the 'least bad'. I think we should pay politicians a lot less and go back to the days before politics was a career. Factor in closer scrutiny of expenses claims and we could save a small fortune by not lining the nests of the biggest bludgers in the country! Labor are too cosy with the unions, who I see as often corrupt and self-serving in their own behaviour (and that comes from a long-time union member here and in the UK). Personally, I think we would actually save money if we used public money to fund political campaigns and banned large political donations. Pollies have demonstrated that they cannot be trusted, so I think it would serve the public interest to remove temptation where possible.

I suspect you're right, it will be Shorten - whether it will be against Abbott is another matter. I can't help feeling that the polls will remain as they are or get worse for the LNP, and the Libs will realise 6-8 months from an election that Abbott is just too much of a liability and renders the LNP nigh-on unelectable, so he will be dumped and replaced - by Scott Morrison rather than Malcolm Turnbull.

Liberal election strategists must be feeling even now that to devise an election campaign involving Abbott is next to impossible: how can he present a manifesto and make election promises without looking ridiculous?

oh please god, no.

oh please god, no.

Oh please yes! The left want Turnbull because they think he is a "Good" Liberal ie left in his views. No matter that he had his chance as leader and no matter that he lives in a house so palatial that moving to Kirribilli would be a step down.

I like Morrison. I like Abbott too but Abbott is too leftie for me.

I agree, but so is Abbott, and that didn't stop him becoming PM, did it?

Only in hindsight Harpo, I didn't vote for him but I don't blame people who did, how could anyone know that he'd break most of the promises he made, and people wanted a change, and why wouldn't they Labour were a shambles.

Only in hindsight Harpo, I didn't vote for him but I don't blame people who did, how could anyone know that he'd break most of the promises he made, and people wanted a change, and why wouldn't they Labour were a shambles.

Anyone with half a brain could see the guy is nuts, way before the election. And there ARE other parties you know?

Oh please yes! The left want Turnbull because they think he is a "Good" Liberal ie left in his views. No matter that he had his chance as leader and no matter that he lives in a house so palatial that moving to Kirribilli would be a step down.

I like Morrison. I like Abbott too but Abbott is too leftie for me.

I wonder whatever happened in your life to make you suggest such a thing? Morrison would take this country down a path of likely no return. How far right is right enough for you?

You don't like Morrisson because he was successful in his assigned portfolio beyond anyone's expectations.

He is in a different portfolio now and doing well again.

He is obviously extremely capable and most importantly a good communicator.

His time as leader will come, but not yet. Turnbull would be next if Abbott happens to lose the election.

Possibly due to policy being thin on the ground? Sound bites and slogans hardly make up for that but all too many hardly seem to notice.

Archived