Floride in drinking water? Pros and considered?

newjez

I grew up with no fluoride and my teeth were filling free until my late 20's. Could be that I rarely ate sweeties and I didn't taste Coke until I was 16 :GEEK: That's what happens when you are brought up on a fairly isolated farm with no access to sweetie shops.

Regardless of fluoride in the water, bad teeth usually means improper care of the teeth.

When I was young, my parents didn't really push the importance of dental care. At primary school, I remember a couple of visits over the 7 years from a hygienist who distributed the wee small pink pills that made your teeth go red if they weren't clean enough. Remember them?

But that was it really. No real constant pushing the importance of dental care. Yes, there was the odd poster around the school, but the ice-cream van stationed at the gates was much more of an attraction! [emoji12]

None of our kids currently have any fillings or dental issues, so I guess they either listened to the dental care messages nowadays (plus having wonderful parents making them brush their teeth as a normal habit), or there are less ice-cream vans at the school gates!

I'm pushing 40 and have perfect teeth; no fillings, nothing. My OH is a bit past 40 and has terrible teeth, both grew up with fluoride in the water, I've always brushed, flossed and mouthwashed, he hasn't and it shows.

My mother has awful teeth but hers are just weak and break easily, non of her siblings have an issue and they all had the same conditions growing up.

I tend to think dental hygiene and genetics has more to answer for than fluoride

I went through a period of secret smoking (who was I fooling?) Where I consumed a vast amount of mints which explains my teeth. Should have kept a toothbrush in the car.

And floss! (I never used floss until I was about forty. Come to think of it, needing a string of fillings every time I went to the dentist, ended about then!

Aussie dentists are in favour of fluoride, I think, and people like my young friend Matthew, who is 18, have NO fillings.

Guest littlesarah

Given the size of populations considered by epidemiological studies (including those published before fluoride was added to water supplies), I think the overall effect of fluoride on dental health is reasonably clear. I'm not even going there when it comes to the alleged health effects of water fluoridation, because there isn't the data to support them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the fluoride in the water beat up is a real con.

It is normally a poor diet, lacking diet, nutritional deficiencies, too much sugar, and so on that contributes to fillings etc.....

Surely you could just swish with fluoridated water - why do you have to swallow it to "benefit".

I reckon fluoride may be implemented negatively in a number of other health conditions

I think the fluoride in the water beat up is a real con.

It isn't!

I

t is normally a poor diet, lacking diet, nutritional deficiencies, too much sugar, and so on that contributes to fillings etc.....

Yes these have an effect of developing decay in both fluoridated and non fluoridated areas but it will occur faster/ more easily in the absence of fluoride.

Surely you could just swish with fluoridated water - why do you have to swallow it to "benefit".

That's what Fluoride mouthwash is for. One of the ways Fluoridated water benefits developing teeth is that it is incorporated into the structure, making them more resistant to decay.

I reckon fluoride may be implemented negatively in a number of other health conditions

You reckon? Must be so then!

Just a few comments...

Edited by Bound4Tassie