Consumer Protection - Foreign transaction fees from an Australian website

CaptainR

So I've managed to get caught twice in the last month with online travel purchases from what appear to be Australian trading websites (with local offices) but when I've made the purchase have been charged from overseas billing accounts in a foreign currency, the first from Hong Kong and the second from the USA. The result has been I've been charged transaction fees of $28 and $54 in these two situations. Yes, a stupid mistake on my part getting caught out twice, and whilst the money isn't a large amount in the big scheme of things, it is still frustrating to be caught like this.

The first company I contacted said that despite showing all transaction in AUD on the website, it was hidden in their T&C's that overseas transaction costs would apply...

To me, unless a website explicitly says that it is overseas and doesn't use a .AU domain then I think they should charge in the local currency... I've looked at the ACCC website and through some of the consumer protection laws in Australia, but it doesn't seem as comprehensive or clear cut as the UK or USA.

I am tempted to try and challenge these companies through different methods just because I see it as wrong, I like to pay the price that I am quoted.

Australian law doesn't touch companies that are entirely overseas. The Internet is a wonderful tool, but there are risks associated with buying stuff online because it is not always clear which set of laws would cover a transaction and, even if it is clear, how you could practically enforce the law if you live in another country.

Australian law doesn't touch companies that are entirely overseas. The Internet is a wonderful tool, but there are risks associated with buying stuff online because it is not always clear which set of laws would cover a transaction and, even if it is clear, how you could practically enforce the law if you live in another country.

Actually I believe you can. The UK protects consumers accessing through .co.uk domains and there is a not-for-profit company set up to monitor and enforce compliance I believe (think it is named Nominet but will check that). Australia could do the same.

I've been caught out once, too. Not with travel but with ordering contact lenses. In my case I didn't care about the overseas transaction fee because I saved so much on the transaction even with the fee - but of course, because the company didn't have a provider number, I couldn't claim the cost of the lenses back from my health fund!