didnt cancel child benefit

Live4today

So, we have been in oz for 3 months and have just checked my UK bank account which I left oPen as i had one more pay to go in after we left. Anyway, checking my account has reminded me of something that I completely forgot about, I didn't inform the benefits office that we were emigrating. It just wasn't something that I had even thought about but either way for 3 months my UK account has had the £100 credited to it. Has anyone else ever forgotten about this when they emigrated? If so, what do I do? Can. I write to them explaininv what happened or call them? Or can I just cancel the payments going in or cancel my bank account which I had planned to do. I know its not a vast amount, £300, but obviously I want to sort it out in case the UK government track me down ;-)

So, we have been in oz for 3 months and have just checked my UK bank account which I left oPen as i had one more pay to go in after we left. Anyway, checking my account has reminded me of something that I completely forgot about, I didn't inform the benefits office that we were emigrating. It just wasn't something that I had even thought about but either way for 3 months my UK account has had the £100 credited to it. Has anyone else ever forgotten about this when they emigrated? If so, what do I do? Can. I write to them explaininv what happened or call them? Or can I just cancel the payments going in or cancel my bank account which I had planned to do. I know its not a vast amount, £300, but obviously I want to sort it out in case the UK government track me down ;-)

Contact them, explain what happened and then pay the money back (well it's only sitting there). Pretty easy to do.

Just let them know and send money back, they will demand it back.

As an aside, think twice about cancelling your UK bank account, it can come in very handy!

As an aside, think twice about cancelling your UK bank account, it can come in very handy!

+1 -- someone on POI was asking recently about how to open a UK account when moving back. Which begs the question "why did you close it when you left"?

If you're not paying charges to have it, keep it open.

We had a bit of trouble stopping ours. We phoned, only to get an automatic message saying they were busy so call back later, then it hung up! Can't leave a message or anything. We eventually managed to send an email to them. Payments seem to have stopped now, but we received no communications from them to confirm it.

As far as paying it back, I think we read somewhere you can still claim if you are out of the country for up to 2 months. Best check on that though.

+1 for keeping the UK account open. It comes in useful for all sorts of things. We just changed our address to an overseas one and they send new cards here.

Grandad uses it to give my son money, it is easy to pay into our UK account and we just give him dollars ( no commission!)

we we register the card to keep UK I tunes as well as Aus one, so we can keep UK apps up to date.

also means we can buy stuff online for relies in the UK in pounds, using the Aus cards for foreign purchases is expensive.

+1 for keeping the UK account open. It comes in useful for all sorts of things. We just changed our address to an overseas one and they send new cards here.

Grandad uses it to give my son money, it is easy to pay into our UK account and we just give him dollars ( no commission!)

we we register the card to keep UK I tunes as well as Aus one, so we can keep UK apps up to date.

also means we can buy stuff online for relies in the UK in pounds, using the Aus cards for foreign purchases is expensive.

Yep pretty much what we do too, save heck of a lot on exchange rates fees and charges. Also when friends/rellies come to OZ on holiday, they put their spending money into our UK bank we then can transfer (or leave for our holiday money) to another separate AUS account we have, they can then use the debit card for that account.

Keeping iTunes ?:unsure:do you need money to do that? I have just opened iTunes accounts with no cost or card details taken.

For Apple app stores you need to have a card registered to an address in the country of the store you are using.

the new apple music share thing is $15 per month here and £15 in UK???????

although our son in UK can share. it for free

For Apple app stores you need to have a card registered to an address in the country of the store you are using.

the new apple music share thing is $15 per month here and £15 in UK???????

although our son in UK can share. it for free

OK if you have someone using it in the UK, personally not sure 180 quid a year is worth it. However I have just recently bought an iPad, and though every man and his dog said I need to register a credit cars with the app store and iTunes, well! I have not, I just press the submit button without filling in the details and I have accounts, downloaded a couple of apps, and use iTunes. Must admit though my intention is not to buy anything, as I seem to get through my world travels and life without !

Maybe it has changed. The apple music share thing is deffo worth $15 a month to us. Four of us use it for that and we do listen to a lot of music. Downsizing means electronic music not hard copies are good. My oh easily spends that on music so now he doesn't need to. The artists get their royalties too.

Maybe it has changed. The apple music share thing is deffo worth $15 a month to us. Four of us use it for that and we do listen to a lot of music. Downsizing means electronic music not hard copies are good. My oh easily spends that on music so now he doesn't need to. The artists get their royalties too.

Fair enough if that's your thing, but should not that be $45plus per month by keeping your UK one going?

But back to OP, we see it to be more beneficial to keep UK bank account open, so long as it is not a fee paying type, if so then change account/bank!

Archived