Coming to Perth in October

Hello everyone,

I just got on this forum. Great Place!!

I got my 189 granted in March, so moving out to Perth with my wife and 3 year old son in October. I will appreciate any help I may get on how to go about immediate accommodations as we arrive. Anyone here have any idea of which of the suburbs in Perth we can consider?

Thanks in anticipation guys.

Cheers!!

Hi Ali,

Thanks for the reply. Don't have a job yet. Plan to start looking as soon as I arrive. I know that will be important in determining a 'good' suburb, I am looking at getting suburbs close to public transport and schools etc.

Any thoughts?

Hi fifi69. Thanks. I am an HSEQ Professional. Yea, I have a list, but a bit in the dark about where to find those things on my checklist. The internet searches have not been very helpful: too vague and generalized IMO. Which is why I think I can get more useful and 'real' tips here. I am not looking for much really; well maybe a bit; but nothing out of the ordinary: proximity to public transp; good schools, safe and secure neighborhood etc...

Best to be close to train access. Buses tend to have limited services after hours and weekends. Hence a combination of both would be ideal. Western suburbs are generally regarded as best but come with a price tag to match. The UK trend is to move to further out Northern suburbs.

A lot may depend on work and your preference in time to travel. Far more rentals on the market now and house prices are stalling and a slight decline in house prices has been noted. With the falling dollar not a bad time to come over as long as the work is there.

I would look at realestate.com.au to get some ideas.

Come up with a priority list of things you want such as: near to beach, near to shops, time you are willing to commute and all things you would like or not like.

Then come up with a budget and look at areas that match this.

Also, look at the costs of buying a house in the suburbs you like to ensure that if you later want to buy you can afford to in the area you like.

Hi fifi69. Thanks. I am an HSEQ Professional. Yea, I have a list, but a bit in the dark about where to find those things on my checklist. The internet searches have not been very helpful: too vague and generalized IMO. Which is why I think I can get more useful and 'real' tips here. I am not looking for much really; well maybe a bit; but nothing out of the ordinary: proximity to public transp; good schools, safe and secure neighborhood etc...

Start with woodvale, duncraig and work around from there. South, look at bullcreek or wembley downs. Inland Inglewood.

That should get you good school and transport and safe and secure neighbourhoods.

For immediate accommodation on arrival I would recommend you look on websites such as AirBNB. On here you will find rooms to rent in people's homes and even short term lets on a property. That's what my wife and I did. This enabled us to stay in a comfortable place with an address to use whilst we looked for something more permanent.

I agree with everything that has been put on regarding choice of suburb. There are a lot of great suburbs around Perth. You need to decide budget and what you want to be near. I live in Rockingham and love it. There is a great rail link that gets you into the centre of Perth in 32 minutes. This is also a popular area for British expats.

If you decide to look at properties online, I know that the Domain app will tell you what's nearby (such as supermarkets, hospitals, coffee shops). It also lists what schools are in that catchment area (so you can Google them) and let's you pick 2 specific points of interest by actual address so you can estimate travel time (good if you did have a job lined up, but also good if you have friends or relatives, or want to visit anywhere particular).

Hope this helps xx