Help! Dual citizen Aunty coming back to uk after 30+ years on Oz passport. Visa??

Pom aunty

My Aunty is returning to the UK after 30+ years in Oz. She was born in England and therefore a British Citizen and has Australian citizenship. She was advised to return on an Oz passport as a visitor (6 months) then apply for UK passport (her old one expired many years ago) once she gets here. Then told she would need to have a return ticket. The UK passport can take over 6 weeks to come through. On this advice she went ahead and got Oz passport. Now been told that she will be refused entry if her intention is to remain in the uk. Her house sale is going through and should complete in about 4 weeks, so now there is not enough time to get a UK passport! She has also been told she will need a visa! So confused. Any help gratefully received.

I spoke to the passport office today. As her passport expired long time ago will be treated as a new applicant. I explained the situation and asked if it could be hurried through but no luck.

Mmmm, just don't understand, as I said before my Son's brand new (first passport) only took 10 days. Is there a priority processing fee she could pay? I recently did this for our Australian passports and had them back in 6 days. Or could she go to the British Embassy and explain the situation?

Sorry I don't have any more useful advice, it's just puzzling.

The whole thing is bizarre. No premium service for first time application in uk. She is British and keeps coming up against obstacles to her returning. I am going to try to ring the British Embassy here again tomorrow. The second lot of advice was from the BC in Oz. Thank you for trying to help. I think we will apply and see how it goes. Did u apply online? Also struggling to get a counter signatory.

The whole thing is bizarre. No premium service for first time application in uk. She is British and keeps coming up against obstacles to her returning. I am going to try to ring the British Embassy here again tomorrow. The second lot of advice was from the BC in Oz. Thank you for trying to help. I think we will apply and see how it goes. Did u apply online? Also struggling to get a counter signatory.

I do apologise, I've just had a little look (to see if I could find something extra for you) and it does say it takes approx. 6 weeks! It also looks like the rules changed a couple of months after I got my Son's passport :-/ I think we did the paper application as I remember taking it to Auspost to check - but I've just read they don't do that anymore.

I know what you mean about obstacles - I've just moved back after 6 years in Oz and we're having all sorts of issues just to open a Bank account to have wages paid into! I currently feel like the UK have forgotten that I was born here!

Anyway, I really hope you can get it sorted, keep us updated :-)

Thanks. Yeah we already went through the bank account problem, the only solution (well I hope so) is to transfer her funds to my uk account then her to set one up here after approx 3 months residency etc. it's so difficult, she is 73 and gets stressed easily, my mum is the same so just trying to keep them calm is becoming a full time job. I just keep saying in a few months when she's back and sorted we will look back on this time and laugh(well maybe)

Assuming she still has her old UK passport she can carry that with her, aling with the Aussie one and she will not need a return ticket. She can show she has the right to live in the UK and can explain that she did not have time to get a new passport.

I'd suggest trying another airline, and just don't tell them she's planning to stay. There are all kinds of reasons why someone would travel on a one way ticket - being unsure of where they're travelling to next, for instance.

If she brings her old British passport with her on entry, that proves she's a British citizen so she should have no trouble.

I agree, change airline, that is a ridiculous stance by QANTAS. I actually entered the UK on an Australian passport and was given a 6 month visa even though we were staying, I knew there was no issue as I was British born, it has been no problem at all.

Flew with British airways and Singapore British airways was a great flight the food wasn't up to much though ! Singapore was fab and I liked there food better ! Never had issues though with either airline ! I would fly with any of them two again ! Most deffinatly ! And Singapore came round more with the drinks lol :)

When did you return Bristolman?

why not Quantas? Who do u suggest instead?

There's no special magic about Qantas these days, all the big airlines are much of a muchness. Personally I love the grace and attitude of the hosties on Singapore and Thai airlines, very patient and helpful.

Airlines can be pains in the arse when they dig their heels in. They once made me book a flight out of Singapore that I had no intention of taking! I was in Auckland, checking in to fly to Singapore, then the plan was to travel overland to Malaysia and Thailand but the kiwi was adamant that I would be refused entry to Singapore as I didn't have an onward ticket ( had a flight home from Bangkok but that didn't count!) Despite the fact thousands of backpackers do that trip every year he ( and his supervisor backed him up) made me go and buy a ticket , which I then had to go to Qantas office in Singapore to cancel ( lost money on it of course). So frustrating when you know full well they are wrong but they just being obstructive and won't admit they were wrong. My husband flew from Christchurch to Singapore same day / same situation - no problem. My friends had exactly same ticket as me but did that leg a month or so before me - again no issues. Grrrr!

Anyway good luck, I hope common sense can prevail!

• 2 weeks later...
My Aunty is returning to the UK after 30+ years in Oz. She was born in England and therefore a British Citizen and has Australian citizenship. She was advised to return on an Oz passport as a visitor (6 months) then apply for UK passport (her old one expired many years ago) once she gets here. Then told she would need to have a return ticket. The UK passport can take over 6 weeks to come through. On this advice she went ahead and got Oz passport. Now been told that she will be refused entry if her intention is to remain in the uk. Her house sale is going through and should complete in about 4 weeks, so now there is not enough time to get a UK passport! She has also been told she will need a visa! So confused. Any help gratefully received.

Your Aunty if she is a UK citizen does not need a UK passport to be allowed to enter the UK. Sorry that you seem to have had some really bad advice. Once I get citizenship here I intend to go to the UK with my Aussie passport safely stashed, and have some fun with UK immigration.

Archived