Why is it only 2.5 million live in WA but 21.5 million live over East

paul1977

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because there is one city in WA as opposed to multiples on the east coast.

where will Perth be in 20 years then...? whats Perth's plan then...? 100 km sprawl...? high rise in a 50-100 km radius as you cant go out no more...?

None. It's just a desert. People should move to the East Coast. More fun and culture over there...and it's cheaper. Not as cheap or fun or cultured as the UK though naturally....:dull:

No need to turn it into a UK v OZ thread. I agree though just a big desert with one city stuck on the edge.

When we moved there in 1999 the population was around 1.8 million, so an increase of 700,000 in 16 years isn't bad. The population in 1983 it was just under a million, so a similar increase in those 16 years.

Maybe it's fairly controlled immigration? Making sure the infrastructure is in place to cope with the increase? Seems sensible really.

When we moved there in 1999 the population was around 1.8 million, so an increase of 700,000 in 16 years isn't bad. The population in 1983 it was just under a million, so a similar increase in those 16 years.

Maybe it's fairly controlled immigration? Making sure the infrastructure is in place to cope with the increase? Seems sensible really.

infrastructure is lacking

The title says it all

I do not understand what your point is? I doubt if there is a single country in the world that does not have extreme variables in its distribution of population. Western Australia is remote from the rest of Australia, although its population is more than South Australia which presumably fits your definition of 'over East.'

Guest Terry6
No need to turn it into a UK v OZ thread. I agree though just a big desert with one city stuck on the edge.

Easy to see why you didn't get it. But you're always good for a giggle

I don't think infrastructure plays any part in the population development in Perth. Most migrants went naturally over East until the boom around 2005 when migrant intake increased. Perth being declared a rural area in terms of migration also responsible for increase. How many Pakistani/Indian/Nepalese taxi drivers have I hired that moved over from Sydney/Melbourne for that very reason. Not sure but considerable.

I do not understand what your point is? I doubt if there is a single country in the world that does not have extreme variables in its distribution of population. Western Australia is remote from the rest of Australia, although its population is more than South Australia which presumably fits your definition of 'over East.'

More remote to big population centre, namely Melbourne of course. From Adelaide a mere several hours drive.

Archived