Fifty eight people living in one Sydney house! No need to 'stop the boats' after all!

MARYROSE02

Guest Dave53

You beauty ... I have a 4 bedroom house ... Guess what ? ... I'm off to Harvey Normans today to buy 60 bunk beds .... It a better bet than superannuation after all ..

Dave C

My main objection to unrestricted illegal immigration was always that space is finite, and we cannot build enough homes as it is, but now I realize that we do not need to. We can just convert more homes to house ten, twenty, thirty, to a room, and it will still seem like luxury to most migrants.

My main objection to unrestricted illegal immigration was always that space is finite, and we cannot build enough homes as it is, but now I realize that we do not need to. We can just convert more homes to house ten, twenty, thirty, to a room, and it will still seem like luxury to most migrants.

Far more worrying is the unrestricted secondary immigration which includes foreign students, back packers, and temp workers which amounts to huge numbers but does sustain the property market and how. That is where the problem lies along with asylum seekers on bridging visa's attempting to survive on charity.

Far more worrying is the unrestricted secondary immigration which includes foreign students, back packers, and temp workers which amounts to huge numbers but does sustain the property market and how. That is where the problem lies along with asylum seekers on bridging visa's attempting to survive on charity.

Most of them come here legally. They have to pass medicals and prove they can support themselves in Australia, and not become a burden on the Aussie taxpayer, and almost all of them have to get jobs, because they do not qualify for Centrelink benefits.

Most of them come here legally. They have to pass medicals and prove they can support themselves in Australia, and not become a burden on the Aussie taxpayer, and almost all of them have to get jobs, because they do not qualify for Centrelink benefits.

Most come to support the housing / education Ponzi scheme and/or work in lower paid jobs which often means the money earned is sent abroad. If you knew anything at all about asylum seekers, to which you frequently comment on, you would be aware most can't wait to start work and support family still often living in brutal conditions. Study and work is what most are about. While not out bidding Australians at Sydney/Melbourne auctions true enough nor taken jobs that local youth or workers could have been apprenticed to do, as many start at the bottom, there commitment is usually ongoing and they certainly put in the hard yards.

Most come to support the housing / education Ponzi scheme and/or work in lower paid jobs which often means the money earned is sent abroad. If you knew anything at all about asylum seekers, to which you frequently comment on, you would be aware most can't wait to start work and support family still often living in brutal conditions. Study and work is what most are about. While not out bidding Australians at Sydney/Melbourne auctions true enough nor taken jobs that local youth or workers could have been apprenticed to do, as many start at the bottom, there commitment is usually ongoing and they certainly put in the hard yards.

Just because illegal immigrants want to work in Australia is no justification for admitting them.

So what if many legal immigrants want to send money home overseas. It is not a crime to want to look after your family.

There is corruption in the education system often involving overseas students, but that does not make it a 'Ponzi' scheme. Australia is hardly unique in attracting foreign students. Most western countries have simllar schemes.

When I was a student in Birmingham I lived in Sparkhill. Not only were us students crammed 6 into a 3 bed house, every room, apart from the small kitchen, doubled up as maybe front room and someone's bedroom. It was common for the mostly Indian and Bangladeshi community who lived round there to have a terrace 2 up 2 down and have Mum, Dad, Grandparents and 4 or 5 kids in one house. The house across from our rental was typical of the area. I had the upstairs front room and my window looked directly into the 4 kids bedroom across the road. All 4 kids were in one room, twin bunk beds, newspaper on the window that used to regularly fall off and not get replaced for a day or two.

Our landlord, Mohda Balal, had bought a stack of houses of the council that had been refurbished and rented them all out to students. He crammed as many as he could in. The more you were prepared to cram in the cheaper the rent and the more beer money you had from your grant.

A couple of doors down from us was the same type of semi detached but 4 girls shared it. They wanted a bedroom each and a tidy front room and kitchen. They had to pay a lot more rent.

I guess students have always been expected to live in these conditions and no-doubt backpackers don't expect much more. They would sooner share a room and have a bit more money to spend on their travels.

What is absolutely wrong though is what was highlighted on 4 corners where unscrupulous employee companies are using backpackers and others, sometimes with no visa and cramming them in rooms, working them horrendous hours and paying them a pittance.

It happens a lot in Melbourne CBD too.

Students or possibly illegal workers crammed into high rise apartments. Lots of people just sleeping in sleeping bags on the floor.

Yes, a newsteam sent up a drone with camera to view a large tower block in Docklands and most of the balconies had beds on them...

Just because illegal immigrants want to work in Australia is no justification for admitting them.

So what if many legal immigrants want to send money home overseas. It is not a crime to want to look after your family.

There is corruption in the education system often involving overseas students, but that does not make it a 'Ponzi' scheme. Australia is hardly unique in attracting foreign students. Most western countries have simllar schemes.

No not a crime just as seeking asylum is neither a crime. To just what benefit sending money earned in Australia outside of the nation, beyond foreign aid perhaps is at best dubious.

Yes it is a Ponzi scheme when foreign students are preferable than home grown and become a substantial money earner both for the educational establishment as well as a means of increasing GDP. Most English speaking countries follow similar economic policy so yes it does not differ greatly. Competition between of course to harvest the most.

Standards are said to fall accordingly though.

When I was a student in Birmingham I lived in Sparkhill. Not only were us students crammed 6 into a 3 bed house, every room, apart from the small kitchen, doubled up as maybe front room and someone's bedroom. It was common for the mostly Indian and Bangladeshi community who lived round there to have a terrace 2 up 2 down and have Mum, Dad, Grandparents and 4 or 5 kids in one house. The house across from our rental was typical of the area. I had the upstairs front room and my window looked directly into the 4 kids bedroom across the road. All 4 kids were in one room, twin bunk beds, newspaper on the window that used to regularly fall off and not get replaced for a day or two.

Our landlord, Mohda Balal, had bought a stack of houses of the council that had been refurbished and rented them all out to students. He crammed as many as he could in. The more you were prepared to cram in the cheaper the rent and the more beer money you had from your grant.

A couple of doors down from us was the same type of semi detached but 4 girls shared it. They wanted a bedroom each and a tidy front room and kitchen. They had to pay a lot more rent.

I guess students have always been expected to live in these conditions and no-doubt backpackers don't expect much more. They would sooner share a room and have a bit more money to spend on their travels.

What is absolutely wrong though is what was highlighted on 4 corners where unscrupulous employee companies are using backpackers and others, sometimes with no visa and cramming them in rooms, working them horrendous hours and paying them a pittance.

While long the case in England, exploitation being hardly something new. Indeed Aussie/Kiwi/Yarpie share houses often numbered dozens down in Shepherds Bush or further out in Cricklewood , it was hardly like that in Australia until recent times.

Disgraceful that you think we should encourage illegal immigrants to come here by boat and work, while our own unemployment is over 6% and growing.

I am unaware of any illegal migrants coming here by boat. Those that do are returned. The shocking abuse of the legal visa entry scheme is really what should get your heckles up. Not ill informed rhetoric gathered from The Australian.

The multiple occupation units in Sydney are not illegal immigrants. Most of them are legal visitors from places like Korea, Japan and India on WHVs or student visas. I saw one of these places when i was trying to find student accomodation for my son. There are loads of them advertised in Gumtree. Most of them are not as bad as the ones portrayed in the media - they're unofficial longer-stay backpacker hostels, similar to the ones occupied by Brits in Bondi. Wouldn't want to live in one myself, but it's just the free market operating in a city where a single room costs $200 a week.

Archived