cant decide Brisbane or Gold Coast

Georgie

Is your 16 year old sporty - would he be into surfing etc? I love the sunshine coast so am biased but if you can get work there and are the outdoor types I reckon it would be a great life. I have only been to Ipswich briefly, understand it's on the up and could be a great place for young families to consider but possibly dull as ditchwater for a 16 year old.....

This post you have quoted is from 2008 so i think theyve probably found somewhere by now,lol

Cal x

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

Thompson family here

Just logged on to this website and picked up on your question.

Just returned from a rekkie trip to Gold Coast/Brisbane….amazing!!!!

When we went out we were quite sure we wanted to live in the suburbs south of the city, commute and be able to get to the beach easily. What i can say now is that regardless of the distances, i didn't really like the areas I had initailly thought of (Springwood, Sunnybank, Browns Plains).

We stayed in Surfers paradise and travelled north in search of areas we liked. I wanted to know what the commute would be so travelled on the highway at peak time. we set off at 7.50 from surfers and were in the city just after 8 (my commute is longer than that in Britain!).

The train is really conveinient, clean and fast. We're now looking the the suburbs of Helensvale, Pacific Pines, Oxenford, Coomarh.

Schools, playgrounds, BBQs are all lovely here and it's 20 mins from the beaches at Southport, Surfers and 30 mins from Broadbeach.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more......

Lisa, Steve, Amy (4) & Luke (18 mths)

Regards

Lisa, Steve, Amy (4) & Luke (18 Mths)

:yes:

Hi Lisa,

Its a long shot but are you still around...?

Did you move to Oz?

If so can you tell me where you moved to - Helensvale looks good..?

Also I see you have kids, wondering how you are finding schools? Are they happy there?

Thanks

Anna x

Hi Edwards, I live in Helensvale itself and leave for Tingalpa(South Brisbane) at 5am everyday and arrive approx 5.45 in my car everyday(63 kilometres or 38miles!) I go on the M1 then onto the Gateway and get of just before crossing the river. The motorway at that time is moving pretty steady all the way up until Logan where you get slight congestion due to on-going roadworks(80kmh) but then speeds up again to 100kmh. I see quite a few bikes making the trip up north but like anywhere its just being wary of the other vehicles around you as your allowed to Undertake over here which when pulling to an inside lane can be quite hair-raising at times and nearly come a crooper meself! You do literally need eyes in the back of your head!! P.S Have been in Helensvale for over a year now all settled in great and would reccomend this place to anyone especially families its great to have the beach,Movieworld,Seaworld,Wet,n,Wild,Dreamworld all on your doorstep and all of The Beautiful Beaches of the Gold-Coast and of course loads of Shopping Malls everywhere.!! Anybody wanting any info on Helensvale P.M us and I,l be glad to reply!!!,Dave,Debs,Will(17) and Theo(10)....

Hiya,

I like the sound of Helensvale as Hubby could be working in Southport. We have 2 kids (3/7 at mo) is it good for young kids?

By the looks of your post there is lots to do as well - even young kids?

Anna xx

Hi Georgie,

We looked at GC and Brisbane but ended up picking Cleveland. 25 mins to Brisbane and 45 mins to GC theme parks.

Very safe area with virtualy no crime.

Nice sea breeze and lots of restuarants around marina.

Ferry to Stradbrooke Island leaves from here.

Hi Georgie,

We looked at GC and Brisbane but ended up picking Cleveland. 25 mins to Brisbane and 45 mins to GC theme parks.

Very safe area with virtualy no crime.

Nice sea breeze and lots of restuarants around marina.

Ferry to Stradbrooke Island leaves from here.

Yep I would second that, but I will have to get a new car! Brisbane in 25!:shocked:

Yep I would second that, but I will have to get a new car! Brisbane in 25!:shocked:

They not built one of their highly successful toll tunnels for you guys yet?

I will ask my boss, we built the last one,(Legacy way) successful all round to date I believe, especially for the police, 3 camara's in there!

It doesn't have a lot to live up to after the Airport link and clem Jones debacle. Haven't used legacy way yet...

• 11 months later...

Hi

Not sure where to live. Gold Coast have best bowling greens in QLD i play lawn bowls so i need to be around best bowling greens and clubs. My brother live Brisbane he doesnt like gold coast maybe to visit only he rather Brisbane. I currently live Victoria Ballarat. I love get out Ballarat so get better weather. Not sure gold coast or brisbane. Love shopping technology phone shops and tv and computers and golf shops and bowls shops. Love goto markets. Love go fruit shops. Hard to choice

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Georgie,

Having moved to the GC from Sydney in November we love it - but as you say everyone is different, obviously everything is available in Brisbane - but if you like city life. Yes lots of people do commute to Brisbane from GC but it will take 1.5hrs typically, but of course it depends what you do for work, the GC is more tourist based so the jobs / industry / corporate is limited.

It's been great reading all your comments! We land in Brisbane in Sept, originally thinking of the usual suspects near GC, coomera, Pacific pines, helensvale Etc. But think a reccie will be needed when we land! Really want the beach / coast lifestyle so hoping the commute no too bad! Some say it is and some say it isn't? Currently do about 40 minutes to work at the moment n that does not bother me really! Getting really excited about our new adventure! X

Really want the beach / coast lifestyle so hoping the commute no too bad! Some say it is and some say it isn't? Currently do about 40 minutes to work at the moment n that does not bother me really! Getting really excited about our new adventure! X

You can get the same beach/coast lifestyle whether you live in Brisbane or the Gold Coast, and if you choose Brisbane you won't have that horrible commute!

One thing most Brits don't realise is that you won't be able to go to the beach after work most of the year. Even at the height of summer it's dark by about 8.30. So you'll only be going to the beach on the weekend (unless you're one of those superfit people who's up at 6am surfing), and that means it makes a heck of a lot more sense to stay close to work and drive to the beach on the weekend, than vice versa.

You can get the same beach/coast lifestyle whether you live in Brisbane or the Gold Coast, and if you choose Brisbane you won't have that horrible commute!

One thing most Brits don't realise is that you won't be able to go to the beach after work most of the year. Even at the height of summer it's dark by about 8.30. So you'll only be going to the beach on the weekend (unless you're one of those superfit people who's up at 6am surfing), and that means it makes a heck of a lot more sense to stay close to work and drive to the beach on the weekend, than vice versa.

Actually it is dark by 7pm mid-summer here in SE QLD as we don't have daylight saving.

Actually it is dark by 7pm mid-summer here in SE QLD as we don't have daylight saving.

Morning light and close of day are the worst times for shark strikes anyway. Irrespective of the likelihood, or lack of it (being taken), I've been here for 21 yrs and I've never missed pulling a shark whilst fishing in those hours and actively targeting them.

Anyone who thinks they can start, or close, a hard days work with a dip in the ocean, or estuary, is pushing it. Steer clear at first and last light.

Archived