cant decide Brisbane or Gold Coast

Georgie

i dont think the south end of the GC is too touristy ,thats where i would head if i was moving there ,still near enough to everything but not stuck in all the hussle and bustle,,id also head for the far side of the highway rather than the coast side as property seems much more reasonably priced,

Cal x

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there

Like i said before i will definately have to do a reccie as now i am being swayed every which way and still no better off knowing. Everyone has different views and it was a bit silly of me (if i say so myself) to ask this question and i should just make my own mind up. I think i asked cos we cant really afford to take time off work to do a reccie but needs must. I lived in Brissie 25 years ago and am really going on memory though it will be soooo different now. I really wanted to be near a beach and that was really why i thought GC as if Brisbane was on such nice beaches i would have no doubt choosing Brisbane. I know there is only 30 min drive to SC or GC depending on the side you live but all in all i suppose i wanted the Home and Away life style but i think i am dreaming. oh well.

With regards to Melbourne,yes it is fantastic here,if a little cool to say the least during Winter. The only moan i have really apart from cold winters is the fact it takes so long to actually get anywhere. I know it will in Brisbane too but i am hoping it wont be quite as bad. The beaches here in melbourne are nice too if anyone was wondering. Just been thinking lately to my self why i am wanting to move but really want to see more of Australia and use Brisbane as a base in the future.

I will post after my reccie which will hopefully be in July

Georgie

Guest taffy 62

I would do that and if i was you dont be in any hurry if possible come up again in dec jan to see what you think of the humidity. if that will be a factor. what about north nsw they have nice beaches etc and you wouldnt get all the traffic etc in commuting. plus the weather is better than melbourne with out the humidity.

Guest tony byrne

no wories georgie just msg me any time and will get my girl friend to answer anything you need to know. just a quick one for jo and rich just wondering what the work situation is like on the coast at the moment as im looking at moving there my self and im a bricky any info would be much appreciated. thanks tony

no wories georgie just msg me any time and will get my girl friend to answer anything you need to know. just a quick one for jo and rich just wondering what the work situation is like on the coast at the moment as im looking at moving there my self and im a bricky any info would be much appreciated. thanks tony

Seems to be a fair bit of work at the minute for brickies. The pay is better northside of Brisbane; here you'll earn between $30-$35 a hour (usually lower end OH found!), whereas northside, they look to be on a bit more. All depends what you're after. We're northern GC, and we like it here; not too touristy where we are!

Guest colferfamily
Seems to be a fair bit of work at the minute for brickies. The pay is better northside of Brisbane; here you'll earn between $30-$35 a hour (usually lower end OH found!), whereas northside, they look to be on a bit more. All depends what you're after. We're northern GC, and we like it here; not too touristy where we are!

Hi Jo,

I was reading your post about work around the area and I was very interested as my OH if also a brickie and we are interested in the northern GC area. :cute:

I was wondering if you could name a few good primary schools around your area for me. State or Private I'll look at both (especially Catholic schools) :jiggy:

Any info would be brilliant.

Thanks from a newbie :smile:

Lorraine, Peter, Eoin and Zoe

Hi Colfers, my kids aren't at school yet so not much use (roll on January :jiggy:). Dan's going to hopefully be going to Biggera Waters, which is a state primary; not quite in catchment area, but it's our nearest school so should be right. Supposed to be very good, own pool. AB Paterson is the nearest private school to us, in Arundel, and is supposed to be excellent, but not Catholic.

Seem to remember a similar thread about Catholic schools once, so if you put it into search you may find it.

Jo

Guest brissy_pom

I would (did) pick brisbane over the gold coast anyday! Especially if you have to work in the city, would love to live on sunshine coast but the daily commute would kill me. My rational was why commute 5 days a week, when you can just drive to the beach at weekends - choosing either sunshine or gold coast! There are some very nice suburbs on Brisbane river which have a lovely village feel, catch city cat (ferry) into the city to go to work -very relaxing journey. Have driven to surfers in rush hour against the traffic and it looked like a nightmare. People that i work with that live on GC all commute by train.

Guest susie one

Hi there, were hoping to move over next year some time, just going threw process with agent im childminder, hubi electrican, kids bethany 8, ryan 14, charlotte 16, leann 18, cant wait to move over, wher are you living, any info on houses, areas schools etc, much appriceated, all the best of luck, sue, ian and fam , email sue0304@hotmail.co.uk

Hiya susie ,where abouts on the coast are you fancying ? there are quite a few guys stretched throughout ,so you may get more help if you tell us a bit more,,your job is certainly in demand over here ,there are ads every week for child care assisitants ,managers etc ,good luck with everything

Cal x

Guest susie one

Thanks for that email, were looking at biddera waters, around that areas, ashmore area, arundal etc, cheers sue ian and fam, x

Thanks for that email, were looking at biddera waters, around that areas, ashmore area, arundal etc, cheers sue ian and fam, x

Near us then; we used to live in Biggera Waters, now in Coombabah/Runaway Bay. All the areas you've mentioned are great. Arundel has the Tee Trees estate, which is nice. Biggera Waters is good to be in the catchment for Biggera Waters Primary, where we're going to send our eldest; that's been recommended to us. Coombabah High School will be the nearest state school, or there's AB Paterson, as mentioned previously. Helensvale also has a high school which is not too far.

Jo x

I've got a Bethany too, although she's only 3; I've been told that's quite a rare name here!

Guest brissy_pom

Hi Georgie, personally I would choose Brisbane over Gold Coast even if I didn't work in Brisbane, however if that was the case I would live on the sunshine coast! Sunshine vs Gold coast is really a personal preference, Gold coast is very built up, lots of high rises etc - a bit flashy / brash, especially around surfers, SC is quieter (but not to quiet), more classy!! Just my opinion!!

I wouldnt live in either ,id stay put where i am ,allowing easy access to both,when i need or want to go .lol.Yes Surfers is built up but isnt any touristy place in the world? ,the Gold coast hinterland and south gold coast is beautiful with stunning scenery and property there is far from high rise.The hinterland side of the gold coast highway is also worth a look working down from Yatala,none of it i would say is bad.

Cal x

Guest meganhannah

Hey eveyone, could anyone possible tell me what Ipswich in Queensland like. The have taken an interest in my CV, I am an oncology nurse. Great news skills assessment back application now in! We was considering Sunshine Coast but did'nt think it would be right for my sixteen year old. I have four kids 16, 14, 12 and 3 so need to try to get area right. Can anyone point me in right direction? We was thinging of Brisbane but need good suburb with decent state schools. Please help. Thanks

My hubby builder so have to consider where work is for him too.

Jo

Skills assessmet approved 29th May

Application for 176 visa lodged

Guest Abiwithers

Hi ,:v_SPIN:

We moved here October last year,(myself,hubby and 2 children 6 & 9) we are currently living in Upper Coomera whilst our house is being built in Ormeau (Jacobs Ridge development by Stockland).My hubby works in Acacia Ridge (southern suburbs of Brisbane) at the mo his commute is about 35/40 mins and once we move will be down to about 30 mins,also we will only be about 30/40 mins from the coast.So I think (maybe not everyone will agree) best of both worlds.

We love it here and have no regrets,thats not to say it has been easy and i am sure there will be a few more bumps along the road as time goes by.

Good luck

Abi:v_SPIN:

Ipswich used to carry a bad reputation and certain small areas of it are still not over desirable,however it has had a lot of money spent on it this last few years and is now one of the places to be ,especially as housing isnt as dear as other places yet ,climbing but not there yet.The new shopping mall on the river is stunning ,you wouldnt want for anything .A good freind of mine lives at Flinders View and its a lovely area.Excellent schools and easy highway access to anywere.Ipswich was recentally awarded the best small city in the world to raise a family ,so its certainly doing something right now a days.hope this help you a little.

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Been up and had a quick looksie and have decided definately Brisbane. I thought CG too touristy but great if your young and like to party. Hinterland gorgeous though but too far out for us.

Decided on Shailer Park/Daisy Hill/Springwood area (cos its got Ikea over the road) only joking but it helps as i love shopping. Its got the Hyperdrome for Myers etc. There seemed to be lots of work in the area from industry to call centres. 30 mins from city and 30 to central CG although its less to labrador area and Redland Bay too.

I am in love with the city centre as its very relaxed and has a holiday feel to it.

When we get there and rent we may even find other areas of Brisbane that we like but we only had 7 days. Must say i did not like North Lakes its like leggo land and the house they were building next to our friends house well the roofs are going to touch. Surely thats not legal?? Its okay but i dont like the look of brand new estates where all the houses are grey! Sorry thats just me others will feel differently i am sure.

I must say the area we like is very hilly so may get sick of that very quickly especially when walking in the height of summer.

Anyway if there are people living in the area and they have any advice then i am all ears and would appreciate the help.

thanks georgie

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Edwards, I live in Helensvale itself and leave for Tingalpa(South Brisbane) at 5am everyday and arrive approx 5.45 in my car everyday(63 kilometres or 38miles!) I go on the M1 then onto the Gateway and get of just before crossing the river. The motorway at that time is moving pretty steady all the way up until Logan where you get slight congestion due to on-going roadworks(80kmh) but then speeds up again to 100kmh. I see quite a few bikes making the trip up north but like anywhere its just being wary of the other vehicles around you as your allowed to Undertake over here which when pulling to an inside lane can be quite hair-raising at times and nearly come a crooper meself! You do literally need eyes in the back of your head!! P.S Have been in Helensvale for over a year now all settled in great and would reccomend this place to anyone especially families its great to have the beach,Movieworld,Seaworld,Wet,n,Wild,Dreamworld all on your doorstep and all of The Beautiful Beaches of the Gold-Coast and of course loads of Shopping Malls everywhere.!! Anybody wanting any info on Helensvale P.M us and I,l be glad to reply!!!,Dave,Debs,Will(17) and Theo(10)....

Guest catrionag9

hi i was the same we have decided to settle in brisbane just outside sunshine coast but half an hour drive from the city, the gold coast is lovely but jobs are in brisbane, everyone does the beaches at the weekend,

• 3 years later...
i dont think the south end of the GC is too touristy ,thats where i would head if i was moving there ,still near enough to everything but not stuck in all the hussle and bustle,,id also head for the far side of the highway rather than the coast side as property seems much more reasonably priced,

Cal x

Cal, can you name some areas in the 'South end' of Gold Coast that are nice to live? I've read so much about it being touristy now.

thanks ?

Hey eveyone, could anyone possible tell me what Ipswich in Queensland like. The have taken an interest in my CV, I am an oncology nurse. Great news skills assessment back application now in! We was considering Sunshine Coast but did'nt think it would be right for my sixteen year old. I have four kids 16, 14, 12 and 3 so need to try to get area right. Can anyone point me in right direction? We was thinging of Brisbane but need good suburb with decent state schools. Please help. Thanks

My hubby builder so have to consider where work is for him too.

Jo

Skills assessmet approved 29th May

Application for 176 visa lodged

Is your 16 year old sporty - would he be into surfing etc? I love the sunshine coast so am biased but if you can get work there and are the outdoor types I reckon it would be a great life. I have only been to Ipswich briefly, understand it's on the up and could be a great place for young families to consider but possibly dull as ditchwater for a 16 year old.....

Archived