Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

Did you go back for a reason, family etc or did you just decide you wanted to go to UK for a while? You might be back in Oz quicker than you thought!

We went back mainly to escape the sun. My oh had a skin cancer scare a couple of years ago and he's become sun phobic (not surprising really, since his dad died of skin cancer). I had a choice - move away from the sun or live with a husband who wouldn't leave the house in daylight hours. Plus we always wanted to travel the UK and Europe in our retirement and reckoned that would be more affordable if we were actually living here.

I do have sisters in the UK (and neither of us has family in Oz) but we are not particularly close.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again definitely not our experience. My wife constantly comments on how much cheaper a whole trolley load of food is and she is extremely balanced in her views of the 2 countries. We find fruit and veg cheaper. It's strange isn't it ?

Did you return when the exchange rate was nearer $1.50 to the £ rather than $2.0 to the £ as that will make a big difference when comparing?

Did you return when the exchange rate was nearer $1.50 to the £ rather than $2.0 to the £ as that will make a big difference when comparing?

Yes it was closer to $1.40 but even now with it over $2 again for us so much is cheaper, not everything by any means but many essentials like car insurance, electricity, gas etc.

All I can say is it is MUCH cheaper away from the South then. £8 for a full breakfast is something I have never seen. I eat steak in the pub, it can be from £6 and that is for a nice piece of steak. Indian or Thai is about the same as you mention, £8-10 for a main. We favour the pubs as the food is just so good.

No need to pay more than £250 for a decent sofa. You can understand my confusion as it just doesn't seem to be describing where we live.

Can you give me some examples of shops that sell sofas for £250? I'm curious because I felt we'd tried so hard to find cheaper brands and couldn't. Places like DFS and Homebase had nothing cheaper than £450.

Indian or Thai may be about the same BUT the difference is the alcohol. Instead of bringing our own ten-dollar (£5) bottle, we have to pay £3 or £4 a glass or over £15 a bottle.

We went back mainly to escape the sun. My oh had a skin cancer scare a couple of years ago and he's become sun phobic (not surprising really, since his dad died of skin cancer). I had a choice - move away from the sun or live with a husband who wouldn't leave the house in daylight hours. Plus we always wanted to travel the UK and Europe in our retirement and reckoned that would be more affordable if we were actually living here.

I do have sisters in the UK (and neither of us has family in Oz) but we are not particularly close.

I can certainly understand that, my father had a large melanoma removed years ago as have a couple of other family members. I have also had potential pre cancerous growths removed.

Again definitely not our experience. My wife constantly comments on how much cheaper a whole trolley load of food is and she is extremely balanced in her views of the 2 countries. We find fruit and veg cheaper. It's strange isn't it ?

Yes it is and I certainly don't view Australia through rose tinted glasses but I can honestly say I don't find the cost of living here dearer - believe me, being Scottish and careful with my money I'd let you know otherwise :wink:

DFS have sofas starting at around £260. Argos even do a range starting from £149. Sofasworld start from £129. Tesco even from £149. Homebase start at £129.

I drink beer with a meal usually so that isn't an issue.

Can you give me some examples of shops that sell sofas for £250? I'm curious because I felt we'd tried so hard to find cheaper brands and couldn't. Places like DFS and Homebase had nothing cheaper than £450.

Indian or Thai may be about the same BUT the difference is the alcohol. Instead of bringing our own ten-dollar (£5) bottle, we have to pay £3 or £4 a glass or over £15 a bottle.

Yes it is and I certainly don't view Australia through rose tinted glasses but I can honestly say I don't find the cost of living here dearer - believe me, being Scottish and careful with my money I'd let you know otherwise :wink:

Well that really is strange, like I said my wife is very balanced in her view but she notices the difference.

It's a bit sad though that if someone says that they think things are generally cheaper it is viewed as propaganda or just nonsense when it is in fact our experience. I'm not referring to what you have said by the way.

DFS have sofas starting at around £260. Argos even do a range starting from £149. Sofasworld start from £129. Tesco even from £149. Homebase start at £129.

I drink beer with a meal usually so that isn't an issue.

We wanted a three-seater so we wouldn't need to buy any other seating. A quick search suggests those prices start at £250.

I didn't even know Argos or Tesco sold furniture, and hadn't heard of Sofaworld, so my ignorance was the problem there - mind you, I'm not sure I'd want to buy a sofa without being able to sit on it.

Edited by Marisawright

Well that really is strange, like I said my wife is very balanced in her view but she notices the difference.

It's a bit sad though that if someone says that they think things are generally cheaper it is viewed as propaganda or just nonsense when it is in fact our experience. I'm not referring to what you have said by the way.

I know what you mean. You can only judge by what you experience personally. I do find Coles/Woolworths a bit dearer here in Tasmania probably because everything is ferried in but I do a lot of shopping at farmers markets and direct from the orchards/farms which makes a difference. Of course houses here are FAR cheaper than on the mainland - especially the cities.

My perception in the supermarkets is that many things are slightly cheaper - however again, we're having to adjust out eating habits. In Sydney we were fairly boring eaters at home - grilled meat or fish with salad and bread. Meat suitable for grilling is more expensive here. However we're enjoying trying out the wider range of pre-prepared dishes available.

Edited by Marisawright

The prices quoted were for 3 seaters. We bought a new sofa recently so knew a few of these places, we paid £900 though lol Well ignorance as far as you couldn't know these places existed but believe me you don't need to spend close to £500 for a decent sofa or £8 for a full breakfast ;)

We wanted a three-seater so we wouldn't need to buy any other seating. A quick search suggests those prices start at £250.

I didn't even know Argos or Tesco sold furniture, and hadn't heard of Sofaworld, so my ignorance was the problem there - mind you, I'm not sure I'd want to buy a sofa without being able to sit on it.

Bear in mind it depend hugely where you are, and whether the price includes coffee/tea.

I don't drink hot drinks but from memory my wife pays something like £3.25 with coffee but yes it does depend on location of course.

You really need to look around during at cars, my wife is looking a time a new type Mini and won't be paying more than £3000.

I think the problem is when you retire to a different country. You are not earning like a local so prices can seem expensive. I really don't know how people retiring here on pArent visas cope, especially after paying for the visas.

Im sure you will settle down after he initial set up. The move is stressful. Concentrate on the positives. Things have changed s lot since you left so it really is like migrating to a new country

I'll preface this by

(a) reminding everyone that I've moved back from Sydney, which has a different cost of living and lifestyle than, say, Pert or Adelaide or Brisbane and

(b) saying that I'm well aware my feelings are influenced by all the stresses of being a stranger in a strange land (I haven't lived in the UK for 30 years). Who knows, in a few months I may be loving it, but right now I just have to moan to someone and you guys are the only people available!

We've made up our minds we're going to stick it out in England for two years but right now I'm gritting my teeth when I say that. If we hadn't already invested so much money into this, I think we'd both be on the plane to Hobart tomorrow (which was our second choice).

Actually we're shell-shocked by how much money it has cost us so far. I assumed we'd be able to find a furnished flat for the first six months or so, but the standard of furnished flats is just shocking so we've had to take one unfurnished. All I can say is, thank God for Ikea, because the cost of furniture everywhere else is frightening. I'm sure it's frightening in Oz too, it's just that it's ten years since I had to buy any and I had no idea a cheap sofa cost over £500. Not to mention the exorbitant admin fees charged by estate agents (and the 3% extra they charge for overseas debit cards).

We're also finding day-to-day living costly. We've had to change our lifestyle, because in Sydney we're used to eating out once a day - whether it's breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or dinner. We can't afford that here, it's all too dear. A big part of the problem is alcohol - most restaurants in Sydney are BYO - but food prices are higher as well. We had lunch at Nando's the other day and the meals cost us double what it costs in Sydney. An English breakfast in most cafes here is also double the price. And yes, even Wetherspoon's is expensive by comparison, though some of its specials come close. It's weird because if anything, food prices in the supermarkets seem slightly cheaper.

So suddenly we're sitting in the flat on our own for meals, which doesn't help our feelings of isolation. But hey, we can compensate for that - we're going to have more interesting things to do, like dancing and rambling and going to shows and visiting abbeys and castles, right?

Except I forgot to check the cost of travel. Rail travel is so ridiculously expensive - $100 just to get us to London, a distance no further than the Blue Mountains from Sydney. Locally, there isn't nearly as much going on as I'd expected in a city the size of Southampton.

Buy a car, you say? Everyone here talks about how expensive cars are in Australia but we're finding the second-hand market here just as dear. We can't buy a car equivalent to the one we sold in Sydney for a similar price. I guess we're feeling so poor after all the money we've already spent - and all the hurdles we've had to clear as "foreigners" trying to get bank accounts, leases etc set up - that we can't quite face spending several more thousand pounds on a car, insurance problems etc .

I'm sure it will get better but right now I'm wondering what the hell we've done.

damn. It seems there's not much in it. The UK is indeed really expensive. We never eat out (unless we save up Tesco club card points, then we get to go to Pizza Express, whoo). We don't do much. Just work, eat at home, and shop at Aldi. Pay the bills, go to work, round and round and round it goes.

damn. It seems there's not much in it. The UK is indeed really expensive. We never eat out (unless we save up Tesco club card points, then we get to go to Pizza Express, whoo). We don't do much. Just work, eat at home, and shop at Aldi. Pay the bills, go to work, round and round and round it goes.

I'm afraid that can be life anywhere in the world. It doesn't sound like much of a life though to be honest.