Gas bill is ridiculous!

nige108

We just moved from Sydney to Melbourne and its a lot colder here so we wacked the heating on and have been slugged with a hefty gas bill!

Does anyone know where I would get one of these like we have in England. They seem very rare here.

72e56ff1dc39cc8bc293c56d7d402eaf.jpg

I did look at one time but gave up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe these types of heater (which use LPG gas bottles) are banned for use in Australia. There are portable indoor gas heater available which can be moved from room to room. However, they require a permanently installed gas fitting which allows the heaters bayonet fitting to be plugged in and out. Without having gas pipe and fittings permanently installed in a room, I think it'll be a no-go.

I agree with the gas bill. Last year I was in the UK for several weeks and hardly used any gas during the 2 month billing period. Came back to a large bill and it showed that most of my costs are down to the fixed charges. Same goes for the electricity.

Thank you for that, it does seem they are banned. God knows why, we have been using them for years in the UK. I think it's a big scam so they can rip us off on the Gas. Oh well time to put on another jumper

Thank you for that, it does seem they are banned. God knows why, we have been using them for years in the UK. I think it's a big scam so they can rip us off on the Gas. Oh well time to put on another jumper

We bought one almost identical that just the other week, they are brilliant and very safe. It doesn't really surprise me they are banned in Australia unfortunately. Yes as has been stated a large part of the bill is not the actually gas but the daily standing charge which is very high over there.

I agree with the gas bill. Last year I was in the UK for several weeks and hardly used any gas during the 2 month billing period. Came back to a large bill and it showed that most of my costs are down to the fixed charges. Same goes for the electricity.

I live in Melbourne and get both utilities through AGL. Our gas bill goes down to almost zero in the summer (just used for cooking and hot water) but is astronomically high in winter when we use ducted heating. So for gas, at least, the fixed charges are not that high.

Just learn to use gas ducted heating wisely.

I set mine to no more than 19 degrees.

I try to just have it one for about an hour and a half in the morning and then from 6pm to bed time.

With my house at least if the sun comes out during the day it warms the house up to a reasonable temp so I don't need heating during the day.

Just learn to use gas ducted heating wisely.

I set mine to no more than 19 degrees.

I try to just have it one for about an hour and a half in the morning and then from 6pm to bed time.

With my house at least if the sun comes out during the day it warms the house up to a reasonable temp so I don't need heating during the day.

Move north to Queensland...It gets down to that temp occasionally.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

We have 2 gas fires- one that looks like a woodfire and a wall one. At the moment we have the ( real) woodfire going but you need the wall heater on in the background because it is too cold. We also have a gas stove. Bill is about $300 a month.In Summer much less of course.

It appears that on the basis of perceived injury risks not yet realised and one fatality in Victoria in 2012, NSW have also banned many types of outside area gas heaters.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1010311

Funnily enough, cars and trucks which cost several hundred lives and countless injuries every year across the country are still with us.

'Tis a strange country, strange people.

Archived