travelling by car from Melbourne to Sydney then Gold Coast, help & tips needed

AnxiousMum

Hi All,

Yet another question for you all, still cant believe I write something and people actually take the time to look at what I have written.

Anyway, we have decided to definately travel around Oz by rental car. Can anyone tell me how far is it from Melbourne to Sydney by car, and then how far from Sydney to Gold Coast? Has anyone done similar with 8 and 11 year old kids who get Travel Sickness very easily. What tips can you lovely people give me. Urgent help needed.:realmad:

Guest Helen

Hi there,

Just looked it up in my 'Touring Atlas of Australia'. I have a map obsession.

Melbourne to Sydney via Hume Highway (inland route) 875km

Melbourne to Sydney via Princes Highway (coastal route) 1039km

Sydney to Goldcoast approximately 900km, maybe just a few more.

I have only ever done them on a bus. There are plenty of places to stop on route between Sydney and the Gold Coast. Not so much on the inland route from Melbourne. I have never done the coastal route.

I would suggest looking on the tourism websites to see what you might be interested in.

www.visitnsw.com/

Melbourne Victoria Australia - visitvictoria.com The official travel and accommodation site for Melbourne Victoria Australia

I have gone along the coastal route in VIC as far as Lakes Entrance. Absolutely beautiful part of the world. There is Wilson's Promontory (Marine Park) on the way and for me Buchan Caves stood out as a fantastic place to visit. Great campsite near the beach in Lakes Entrance too (I can't remember the name). Lots of the towns along the way are lovely small rural towns and everyone was very friendly and helpful when we turned up and asked what we could do and where we could stay.

I hope this helps.

Helen

Hi All,

Yet another question for you all, still cant believe I write something and people actually take the time to look at what I have written.

Anyway, we have decided to definately travel around Oz by rental car. Can anyone tell me how far is it from Melbourne to Sydney by car, and then how far from Sydney to Gold Coast? Has anyone done similar with 8 and 11 year old kids who get Travel Sickness very easily. What tips can you lovely people give me. Urgent help needed.:realmad:

We drove from Mornington to just outside of Sydney on Good Friday. We left at 5.30am and stopped every couple of hours for a stretch and a cup of coffee. There were driver recovery stops open along the Hume where the drinks are free (voluntary contribution type of thing) and some of them had sausage sizzles too. We arrived at at about 3 in the afternoon.

Plenty of regular stops helped me - I used to get really travel sick, touch wood I've been fine for the last couple of years.

I'm afraid I can't help with the next leg of your journey though - good luck!

Felicity:wubclub:

Guest taffy 62

It really depends on if you take the coastal route or the inland route.

Inland is quicker but coastal lots more to see.

From Melbourne to Sydney would take 9 hours driving inland along the hume highway. I would recomend stopping off at AlburyWodonga (where i'm from, lovely part of aust lol).

I have just done the trip to Brisbane from there. where I went from Albury to Sydney which is about 6 hours then up through The Entrance, Coffs Harbour, Port Maquarie, Ballina, then Brisbane. Which was another 9 hours driving. I made a holiday of it and stayed a night and had tea at all of these places, which was lovely.

If you decide to do the coastal route from Melbourne to Sydney it would take longer as the road is smaller and quite steep in places but you go through some lovey places like merimbula and batemans bay.

I have lived in Victoria for 18 years and can recomend some lovely places to visit if you would like.

These are driving times only and dont allow for stops along the way. And its best to allow extra time incase of roadworks or traffic etc.

9 - 10 hours solid driving from Melbourne to Sydney and boring as b*tsh*t - unless you do a little detour and come and visit Canberra on the way:jiggy:. Only towns you go through are Holbrook (do stop and see the submarine) and Tarcutta (hard to suggest what to spend your time on unless you fancy a big fry up) via the Hume Hwy all the rest are bypassed now. The coast road is much longer and more two way rather than dual carriageway. There is more variety along the coast though but it just prolongs the agony of sitting in a car for days on end.

As for kids who get travel sick - my preference is for avomine, it lasts longer than dramamine but not sure how good it would be for kids. If they have ipods they will be able to while away the hours with their own music or a good book.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sazzle76

We drove from Adelaide down the Great Ocean Rd, did Philip Island (oh beautiful views from the ferry)

Lakes Entrance, Merimula which I fell in love with, Batemans Bay then inland thru a little old place called tilba tilba and into Canberra which was also nice and Im glad we detoured.

We came back out to the coast and carried on up to the Sunshine Coast to pay our respects to Steve - who died 2 days before we left the UK in Sept 2006. GUTTED!

Anyway, we travelled with a 9 month old baby and stopped overnight when ever we needed. Kept the cost down by staying in cabins at big4 campsites. they were brill and I joined their membership to get 10% off as we used them a lot.

As for travel sickness im no good, wrist bands? tablets? sit them on newspapers try them all! maybe a large high vehicle may help? or a lot of carrier bags!!! theres so much to see you will stop all the while.

I cant remember how long it took really as we ent for 2 months and did perth and sydney too but didnt want to rush things with taking the baby.

Hope my waffle helps!

Sal

Hi i know i answer alot of your posts and please dont think im a "know it all" but my last job was in Australia driving trucks from Melbourne to Sydney

For your kids take a portable dvd player and dvds with you. If you travel at night watch out for trucks there are 1000's up and down that road and they will push you, the speed limit is 110 kms an hour and alot of the trucks can go faster and do.(plenty of police as well)

The hume hwy is the quickest if you can leave at about 3 to 4 o'clock in the morning you should get to Sydney about the same time that day (plenty of day light hours to find your way around) you'll need it with all the one way streets.

About 3 hours out of Melbourne you have a Mcdonalds or there is one in Albury

If you can stop off just outside of albury at a place called the ettomoga pub (i think thats how its spelt) take your camera well worth a look free to get in.

Quoll is right about the act great to visit (but not to live) Maybe you could stop there the night and make your way into sydney from there giving you a day to get lost.

Or you could go via bathurst, orange to the blue mountains into Sydney a really nice way to go through country towns

Not big on Sydney to the gold coast as my main run was melb to syd. but give the night run a miss good luck Geoffrey

Archived