Weather update

HelensvaleHoward

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It rained heavily during the night but it's sunny this morning and 5C. Got my husband chopping wood for the woodburner. He built a small garden wall and a barbecue for a farmer who paid him with a huge load of wood that will last this winter and well into next winter.

It can't be cold.

You live in Queensland, on the beautiful Gold Coast.

Beautiful one day, perfect the next.

believe me they are cold lol spoke to my lads today they say they frozen my youngest said I've had a warm off me Xbox mum I was crying with laughter , the reverse cycle doesn't reach everywhere there electric heaters in garage I've told them go get them don't sit there a freeze to death lol :) but it will be morning and teatime they feel it :)

It can't be cold.

Up in the Pioneer Valley a few years ago, the Marion (village near Mackay) sugar mill got an urgent message. They had to clear their crushing for a farmer to cut his cane before the frosts killed the cane. The mill duly processed the farmer's crop before frost set in on his property (-1.5 C).

In 1956 there was snow on the Eungella Ranges, some 50 km west of Mackay...

Just thought you might like to know these things, parley...:cute:

BTW 26 C at 1 PM today and 'wall to wall' blue sky.

Cheers, Bobj,

Missing the arctic climate - loved the -25. It doesn't feel cold though. I would sit out in my short / tshirt oz pygamers and feel fine.

Buggaroff...:arghh:

-11 at Glen Innes, Northern NSW was the coldest I've experienced.

Midland meatworks , WA, biggest temperature change was from -4 F in the chiller rooms, to 104 F in 10 paces...

Cheers, Bobj.

Midland meatworks , WA, biggest temperature change was from -4 F in the chiller rooms, to 104 F in 10 paces...

Cheers, Bobj.

a very different cold. Haven worked and lived in a number of cold places I know it is all about humidity not temp. I have, as a result felt colder in WA than I have in the arctic or even Siberia at -40.

A -25 in the arctic will not feel cold at all (unless on a snowmobile when the air bites the face). The only down I have experienced at extreme cold is not to think you can chill beer in it. Nope it just quickly freezes and then explodes.

-40 is actually not that bad. Cold, but I would rather have -40 with zero humidity than 5 with high humidity.

Cheers, Bobj.

@VERYSTORMY

Just remembered something that might interest you... I mentioned -11 C , I was working at Emmaville then, percussion drilling proving a big cassiterite deposit (Taronga Tin Exploration Site) The big boss was Dr. Ian Robertson, who was sent from that job, to start up the Telfer show, ca 1979.

Cheers, Bobj.

@VERYSTORMY

Just remembered something that might interest you... I mentioned -11 C , I was working at Emmaville then, percussion drilling proving a big cassiterite deposit (Taronga Tin Exploration Site) The big boss was Dr. Ian Robertson, who was sent from that job, to start up the Telfer show, ca 1979.

Cheers, Bobj.

Small world. I had a picture on my wall at telfer that I think had him on it. Lol.

It can't be cold.

Sorry I was only kidding

It aint cold at all

I live in the perfect place

Ok I'm brainwashed so it must be true

I was still out in my shorts and T-shirt and everyone else in coats and jumpers lol

I was still out in my shorts and T-shirt and everyone else in coats and jumpers lol

Your brave my shorts are packed away now until about September,lol Its warm enough for a T shirt if your out and about during the day but i need a sweatshort morning and now. As for late nights, the fleecy PJs have now been officially unpacked for the winter,lol.

Cal x

Bob, you might like to know that the holes you drilled are still being used today

http://www.austinmining.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44:taronga&catid=5:projects&Itemid=4

Brilliant, Stormy. Many thanks for that as it brought back some very good memories...thumbs.gif

Errr, in keeping with this thread of weather...

The Newmont JV also drove three adits, I helped bog out 2 of these adits in the middle of winter; -7 C at 2 AM and using only hands, 'pelicans' and shovel, 3 of us were stripped down to shorts and boots. Amazing that we were sweating profusely and needed to come to the entrance every hour. About 90% of the bogging out was after normal 10 hour shifts. We also did a 24 hour shift as Newmont's funds were to be stopped and the job had to be finalised.

Cheers, Bobj.

A 'pelican'

http://www.civiquip.com.au/products/tools-site-supplies/hand-tools/outdoor-hand-tools/cyclone-pelican-pick-wtimber-handle

Edited by Bobj
Adding.