NSW driving licence

Danny842003

Is there a difference in NSW between auto and manual? I converted from full UK (manual) but theres no mention on mine about being entitled to drive manuals. My fiance who is aussie born and passed in NSW in an auto also has no mention of auto or manual on hers.

In SA the question doesn't seem to be asked. I don't think they discriminate like they do in the UK. Same for bike test. Son was asked if he wanted to do the test on a manual or automatic bike, he asked the question about the licence and they said it didn't make a difference.

Is there a difference in NSW between auto and manual?

Yes.

If you have passed your test in an automatic - you are not allowed to drive a manual (unless you took a separate test in a manual and passed)

But if you have passed your test in a manual - you can drive an automatic.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

You may notice a letter "A" written on the drivers license (if you are only allowed to drive an auto car). However if nothing written on your license, meaning that you can drive both types of transmission.

Edited by McJim

Yes.

If you have passed your test in an automatic - you are not allowed to drive a manual (unless you took a separate test in a manual and passed)

But if you have passed your test in a manual - you can drive an automatic.

but how is that annotated on your licence?

You may notice a letter "A" written on the drivers license (if you are only allowed to driver an auto car). However if nothing written on your license, meaning that you can drive both types of transmission.

My mrs passed (apparently....) in NSW in an auto and she has no A and nothing different to mine.

I see why now. The restriction to driving a AT car is only applied for the P1 license holders. As soon as you get your P2 or full license (open license) you can drive both.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/drivers/youngdrivers/licenceconditions.html

Thanks that clears that up. That is properly wrong though in my opinion, you should have to pass in a manual to drive one.

Try getting stopped by the police and you will find out! :laugh:

When you get your NSW license (must get it within 3 months of moving here) it will be recorded as to what type of vehicle you can drive.

sorry but that's not true at all. I already have my NSW licence but didn't need it for 3 years at least. It also has no annotation as to manual or auto as we discussed earlier in the thread everyone on a full licence can drive both.

You can drive on a temp visa without changing your licence, but once PR you do have three months to change it. However as said before it is a useful form of ID so worth doing.

What I am not clear on is what address would be on your UK licence as you can't have an overseas address on it as far as I know.

sorry but that's not true at all. I already have my NSW licence but didn't need it for 3 years at least. It also has no annotation as to manual or auto as we discussed earlier in the thread everyone on a full licence can drive both.

Sorry but I disagree.

According to the RTA brochure I have, it says...."you are only allowed to drive in NSW on an interstate or overseas license for three months, after that you must get a NSW license.

Also, I only ever learnt to drive an automatic and only passed my test in an automatic. Therefore, legally, I can only drive an automatic. If I want to drive a manual, I have take another full driving test in a manual.

So therefore everyone on a full license cannot drive both (unless passed a test in both). Maybe the rules use to be different. But that is the most recent information I have - unless it has changed.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Sorry but I disagree.

According to the RTA brochure I have, it says...."you are only allowed to drive in NSW on an interstate or overseas license for three months, after that you must get a NSW license.

Also, I only ever learnt to drive an automatic and only passed my test in an automatic. Therefore, legally, I can only drive an automatic. If I want to drive a manual, I have take another full driving test in a manual.

So therefore everyone on a full license cannot drive both (unless passed a test in both). Maybe the rules use to be different. But that is the most recent information I have - unless it has changed.

The link that I provided above is the best information you need to know and the latest updated was May 5 2015. It states clearly that:

[h=3]Automatic vehicles[/h]P1 licence holders who passed their driving test in an automatic vehicle (including vehicles with an automatic clutch actuator) will be restricted to driving automatics. This condition remains until you are issued with a provisional P2 or unrestricted licence. To remove the condition earlier, you must pass a driving test in a manual vehicle.

• 1 month later...
Thanks that clears that up. That is properly wrong though in my opinion, you should have to pass in a manual to drive one.

I agree. We're back in the UK now and still haven't bought a car because although manual cars are cheap, auto ones seem to be mainly bigger cars and therefore quite expensive. Tempting to buy a small manual instead but I'd hate to try driving a manual now after 30 years of driving autos.