Unemployment in Perth?

RebeccaMatt

A lot of different opinions :S its tough we always thought that we wanted Perth no matter what but moving with our little one and the intention of growing our family once were settled were now thinking closer to family of some sort might be better. We've always dreamt of moving , since we got married everything has been about saving for Oz and now we actually have the savings to do it we want to be sure we do it right. Were 100% on going , we have nothing to leave behind here most of my family are scattered all round the world so I definitely think Oz is the right move for us. We've never been the sort to expect a lot out of life all we ask for is a nice outdoor lifestyle where my husband won't be working 7am-12pm just to get us by. Speaking to people in Perth they think its great for families , but if you ask people in Brisbane they think Brisbane is better for families lol there is a lot to think about, but from just doing a quick job search on seek there seems to be a lot more available in Brisbane than in Perth

I like Brisbane too and could have easily settled there. Either option would be good Rebecca. Give it your best shot and hopefully it will all work out well. We decided not long after getting married and getting a house that we would like to give emigration a shot. Just got to the stage where we were both working in good jobs, had the youngster, had the very small old end terrace that you couldn't swing a cat in and for the first time in years we couldn't afford a holiday in the summer. Typically the summer in the UK was terrible and we had a week in a caravan in Anglesey where we came back early 'cos if we'd waited another day we wouldn't have got off the site for the sludge.:laugh:

We just got to the state of thinking "Is this as good as it gets?". It wasn't:cool:

Good luck.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look back at threads with similar posts to yours most say what you have put. Now look at there future posts once they have started there new life a year on most say the opposite now i.e working longer hours, no time for family, money running out, housing too expensive, I wish I had never started the journey, biggest mistake of my life, cant afford to go back ect.

Really Kirk, not noticed that myself TBH. Lots of people posting on here are just like us and saying it's the best thing they've ever done.

First off..you do need work...that's a given.

ive been out of work for three months here and it wasnt nice, nobody getting back to you, but I wasnt bored, not for one minute, but that's because I enjoy doing what Perth offers.

People are right when they say there is a downturn....but tbh, it was all a little bit Mickey Mouse back in the boom, when the talk turns to a recession in Perth....I think they mean that things are becoming more normal. Its nothing like how the UK got.

you need to weigh up every pro n con for coming here, but don't let certain members sway your decision

I was out of work for 5 months when we came but like you wasn't bored. Bought a bike, bike seat for the nipper and went exploring every day. Great times now I look back, the eldest is 25 now and still remembers days out on the back of the bike when we used to take sandwiches and just stop at a beach or a park and picnic. No way was I going to sit in the house feeling sorry for myself.

Never been out of work since landing the first job and never had to work long hours. I'm in IT mind you, so I don't know many people in IT who work long hours.:nah:

I've also been out of work in the UK, got made redundant in the bad recession there and had to have confidence that I would get another job and I did.

You could just choose not to come, end up redundant and in the crap in the UK too.

I am saying to the OP that work first should be given a priority...

but also saying that Australia does still seem to give people a fair go..

We are proof of that and we only came 3 years ago on a 457...

and even now, what with negative gearing, if we wanted, we too like your BIL could easily get a investment property or maybe more..

And we aren't big wage earners, far from it.....we qualified for a Keystart mortgage (low income government assisted mortgage).

Whats not to love though, coming home from a day at work, jumping in your pool, or heading to the beach, or a meal with a view.

Yes we have to work....but downtime makes it worth it..

We had a few financial advisers telling us we should be buying properties, negative gearing, using the equity in our home etc. etc. Maybe we are just simple folk but we ignored every bit of that advice, had an offset mortgage so if we had savings it helped and were happy to have the spare money and time off to enjoy it.

We had a friend who came out after us, absolutely cashed up, paid cash for his house and still had enough left over to buy properties. He used to come round saying this is what you should be doing. Used to brag that he wasn't paying any tax due to his negative gearing. Downside of it I saw him a couple of times at the weekend when I would be heading to the beach and he was on his way out to fix a tap or something at one of his properties. He'd say it's all right for you, I have to go and do whatever. I just used to say sell them then.:wink:

When the GFC hit he ended up with some land he had bought and couldn't develop, lost his job and straight away he was in trouble. Trying to offload houses that had dropped in value to pay his loans. They just managed to scrape through but now have a massive mortgage on their own house that they paid cash for 15 years ago.

He got too greedy.

Perth is being impacted by the slowdown, a process still in early days. There is a lot of pain to come in WA regardless of the tradies making a killing for the moment. I admit anything around housing is going well and have had personal experience of tradies self inflated importance and ability for the moment to charge as a wounded bull, so will be more than a little satisfied when that group is brought back to earth.

In general work is far from good. 20% of where partner works is to be laid off by end of January. And your right nothing to do with mining.Wages are at best stagnant.

Better the OP is aware of the real situation and comes prepared anything positive will surely be a bonus then.

You sound like one of those typical white collar workers who are used to sitting in an office all day and then expect the plumber to come round the house, use the tradesmans entrance and then charge you $10 for fixing whatever.

One thing I've loved about being here is the guys wearing the Hi viz and doing the hard graft in red dust, hot conditions and long hours have been getting more than the guys sat in suits with them in the airport departure lounge.

Hence the saying cashed up bogan. A lot of people I've met have been pretty resentful that your average working guy, who's generally got a 4 year apprenticeship and a lot of experience behind him has been able to earn as much (and more) and someone with a degree. About time I reckon.

As someone who's done both I found the apprenticeship a lot harder than the degree and Aus is one of the few places where you can use that apprenticeship to get you a good salary.

More power too them I say. If you could do the job yourself you would, so you have to pay the guy a living wage.

We had a few financial advisers telling us we should be buying properties, negative gearing, using the equity in our home etc. etc. Maybe we are just simple folk but we ignored every bit of that advice, had an offset mortgage so if we had savings it helped and were happy to have the spare money and time off to enjoy it.

We had a friend who came out after us, absolutely cashed up, paid cash for his house and still had enough left over to buy properties. He used to come round saying this is what you should be doing. Used to brag that he wasn't paying any tax due to his negative gearing. Downside of it I saw him a couple of times at the weekend when I would be heading to the beach and he was on his way out to fix a tap or something at one of his properties. He'd say it's all right for you, I have to go and do whatever. I just used to say sell them then.:wink:

When the GFC hit he ended up with some land he had bought and couldn't develop, lost his job and straight away he was in trouble. Trying to offload houses that had dropped in value to pay his loans. They just managed to scrape through but now have a massive mortgage on their own house that they paid cash for 15 years ago.

He got too greedy.

Yep, there is his problem, not so much as to what he did in idea, but more of how he did & let it happen. You don't have to fix the tap yourself you get some else to do it -tax deductible and all that, greed is the doing it yourself.

We got advised to get a mortgage on our paid for home and then buy shares, simple math being mortgage @ 7% shares earning 10%+, fine until the market crash's, glad we didn't got a couple of houses instead sold one and the wife got her new car, keeping the other for pension time.

I live here and can definitely say an increase in people leaving WA and Perth. Not only Poms of course.

A lot will have had 457's though flag and would have had to go. I'm pretty sure we are still in positive territory with incoming/outgoing. I've been thinking for years there's got to be some sort of downturn just by the sheer numbers coming in. No City on the planet can sustain what Perth and WA were doing.

Yep, there is his problem, not so much as to what he did in idea, but more of how he did & let it happen. You don't have to fix the tap yourself you get some else to do it -tax deductible and all that, greed is the doing it yourself.

We got advised to get a mortgage on our paid for home and then buy shares, simple math being mortgage @ 7% shares earning 10%+, fine until the market crash's, glad we didn't got a couple of houses instead sold one and the wife got her new car, keeping the other for pension time.

Maybe the tap was a bad example. I'm sure he would have used a tradie and offset. he couldn't fix a tap himself anyway.:laugh: It was probably more going round to check on one of his properties after someone had moved out. There is always a downside, time wise, to investing.

You sound like one of those typical white collar workers who are used to sitting in an office all day and then expect the plumber to come round the house, use the tradesmans entrance and then charge you $10 for fixing whatever.

One thing I've loved about being here is the guys wearing the Hi viz and doing the hard graft in red dust, hot conditions and long hours have been getting more than the guys sat in suits with them in the airport departure lounge.

Hence the saying cashed up bogan. A lot of people I've met have been pretty resentful that your average working guy, who's generally got a 4 year apprenticeship and a lot of experience behind him has been able to earn as much (and more) and someone with a degree. About time I reckon.

As someone who's done both I found the apprenticeship a lot harder than the degree and Aus is one of the few places where you can use that apprenticeship to get you a good salary.

More power too them I say. If you could do the job yourself you would, so you have to pay the guy a living wage.

When I was working nights supervising construction works at Brisbane airport, just about every one under me was taking home more pay than me and on less hours too.............was I worried or annoyed? nope not one little bit, good luck to them in making hay while the sun shines hey! I still had the ute and phone. Back to normal now though.

I have not had a salary increase for some 5 years now whilst the labourers on the EBA have, and still do, get a 2% increase every 6 months, again I am not upset about that, if I feel it is unfair then I will have to do something about it, no good moaning to the company! if I do then really I need to change companies don't I?

I bet you do. Nothing average about the typical screw what you can out of the punter tradesman, but their time will come. A four year apprenticeship I wonder just how many still under take this quaint form of learning something that lets face it in reality takes far less time. Even Taffe does short courses these days. Brick layers was one.

Unlikely to last thank goodness. Intellectual savvy and responsibility must win out in the end over brawn and labour as it add too much to costs. They certainly need taking down a peg or two.

Oh and your wrong about sitting in an office all day, though have passed time in my life where the swivelling chair amounted to the most fun, but for many years much less of that and front line duties dealing with real people ..

Edited by flag of convenience

When I was working nights supervising construction works at Brisbane airport, just about every one under me was taking home more pay than me and on less hours too.............was I worried or annoyed? nope not one little bit, good luck to them in making hay while the sun shines hey! I still had the ute and phone. Back to normal now though.

I have not had a salary increase for some 5 years now whilst the labourers on the EBA have, and still do, get a 2% increase every 6 months, again I am not upset about that, if I feel it is unfair then I will have to do something about it, no good moaning to the company! if I do then really I need to change companies don't I?

It's not a question so much of their earnings, just how semi/skilled labourers rip off. It is supply demand. A Korean plumbing family has moved into my street. A sign of the times perhaps and a challenge to the local make up a price/then double it labour.

A lot will have had 457's though flag and would have had to go. I'm pretty sure we are still in positive territory with incoming/outgoing. I've been thinking for years there's got to be some sort of downturn just by the sheer numbers coming in. No City on the planet can sustain what Perth and WA were doing.

We are about to experience what is likely the biggest downturn ever recorded in WA. Of course there was a downturn in the pipeline, even though you among others constantly denied it, as well as north house prices collapsing, just this has seemingly caught so many unawares. Shows how many have head in ground. Such a dramatic rise in prices over such a short period could only end in pain. Perth/WA being something of a one track sort of place. North QLD also badly impacted with the coal blow out.

He got too greedy.

Be your own financial advisor. Ignore completely the speculative advice these one dimensioned self deluded salesmen give out would be my advice. They are for the most selling products and or boosting bank revenue which is their job of course.

I have been to several over recent years and play a bit of a game of sorts or testing I prefer to call it, resulting in none coming close to my expectations or could inform me on financial advice that I didn't know and usually the pitfalls that accompany it.

I bet you do. Nothing average about the typical screw what you can out of the punter tradesman, but their time will come. A four year apprenticeship I wonder just how many still under take this quaint form of learning something that lets face it in reality takes far less time. Even Taffe does short courses these days. Brick layers was one.

Unlikely to last thank goodness. Intellectual savvy and responsibility must win out in the end over brawn and labour as it add too much to costs. They certainly need taking down a peg or two.

Oh and your wrong about sitting in an office all day, though have passed time in my life where the swivelling chair amounted to the most fun, but for many years much less of that and front line duties dealing with real people ..

Sorry to burst your bubble flag but I think you'll find that an apprenticeship for a sparkie, fitter, welder, turner, plumber is still about 4 years. That's what my son had to do and he's been on course after course ever since. Just finished his cert 5 Instrumentation. You sound as though you class all tradesman as having no intellect or responsibility. You're way off the mark. If they didn't have those traits they would never get through the apprenticeship. Shame I can't say that about a degree course, the ones that find their course too hard just swap to something easier, take a couple of months out to go "travelling" or defer a couple of units and take years to get a degree. If they did that on an apprenticeship they would be out the door.

Don't know why you say they need taking down a peg or two or to what level they need to be at? Maybe the tradesmans entrance wouldn't be too far off the mark in your world.:rolleyes:

It's not a question so much of their earnings, just how semi/skilled labourers rip off. It is supply demand. A Korean plumbing family has moved into my street. A sign of the times perhaps and a challenge to the local make up a price/then double it labour.

Has he quoted you on a job yet?:wink: Just 'cos he's Korean doesn't mean he's going to charge you less. He's got to live here too and he would be daft if he doesn't charge the going rate. I'm sure the Korean bloke has come here for the same reasons as a lot of plumbers, they make a good living.:cool:

Edited by Paul1Perth

Has he quoted you on a job yet?:wink: Just 'cos he's Korean doesn't mean he's going to charge you less. He's got to live here too and he would be daft if he doesn't charge the going rate. I'm sure the Korean bloke has come here for the same reasons as a lot of plumbers, they make a good living.:cool:

I've had numerous quotes from those willing. As I suggested open heart surgery would prove cheaper. Over inflated sense of their worth. Sadly not a Polish worker in cooee.

Still I fully anticipate the whip will be in the other hand in due course and will love it.

Sorry to burst your bubble flag but I think you'll find that an apprenticeship for a sparkie, fitter, welder, turner, plumber is still about 4 years. That's what my son had to do and he's been on course after course ever since. Just finished his cert 5 Instrumentation. You sound as though you class all tradesman as having no intellect or responsibility. You're way off the mark. If they didn't have those traits they would never get through the apprenticeship. Shame I can't say that about a degree course, the ones that find their course too hard just swap to something easier, take a couple of months out to go "travelling" or defer a couple of units and take years to get a degree. If they did that on an apprenticeship they would be out the door.

Don't know why you say they need taking down a peg or two or to what level they need to be at? Maybe the tradesmans entrance wouldn't be too far off the mark in your world.:rolleyes:

On going training is everywhere today. All part of the bizz. Doesn't necessary stand for a lot. Yes there were brick laying courses out in Cannington. A lot of the trainers had Pom accents on appearance and a lot of those being trained were more than half from Asian backgrounds. I rather think Centre Link ran or at least paid in part of the course.

I have no problem paying a fair wage for a good worker. We always get friends to recommend. We use a decorator now. Couple of rooms a year. He's always good as he wants the repeat work, plus we know him now and he's a top bloke. I used to do my own decoration. But I can't get the finish. I do envy tradies sometimes. I like the office, but I would appreciate the variety.

Perth is definitely headed for a downturn. Only question is hard or soft.

I have no problem paying a fair wage for a good worker. We always get friends to recommend. We use a decorator now. Couple of rooms a year. He's always good as he wants the repeat work, plus we know him now and he's a top bloke. I used to do my own decoration. But I can't get the finish. I do envy tradies sometimes. I like the office, but I would appreciate the variety.

Perth is definitely headed for a downturn. Only question is hard or soft.

Don't envy tradies newjez. Like I said before, I have an apprenticeship and have fallen back on that qualification here and worked in Mechanical Engineering for a year or so. Going out to mine sites, wearing overalls and grafting in hot, dusty conditions wasn't my idea of fun after a few years in the IT industry. I thought it might be for the money but as soon as an opportunity came to get back into IT and on office environment came I took it.

As I've gotten older I've been even more comfortable with my decision. The FIFO is a young, single guys game I reckon. Specially if you are on a long swing.:yes:

I went through the last bust and it wasn't all that bad. Hell I even worked for mining companies (analysis of ore) and didn't feel the effects all that bad.

Whoever said Perth will return to normality got it right, that's all it will be, normal rents, normal house prices, normal wages just where they should be. God some of these negative posts will have people running for the bomb shelters.

Well so it should come to normality , some people are paid over the odds ! People choose their careers for a reason , and yes ya do feel sorry for tradies in the heat , but why come to Australia knowing the heats a killer :) at the end of the day tradies go home at night and switch off someone in a professional position doesn't switch off when they get home they make all the decisions and the tradies my hubbies worked with which by the way he got on with sodded off the pub without a care in the world when they knock off and don't give a **** lol you will always get the office worker v tradies banter going on but ask any tradie and they don't want the responsibility and if they could do it they would . But without the office worker the tradies would have nowt build anyway lol :):) and I hope wa does hold out I'm concerned more for newbies arriving it's a shame ! Them who r here now well Theve just got take it on the chin like me haha although it gets on me pip but no worries ;)