Why the negativity? It's easy to know if Aus is for you!

flat2west

Just reading $65 for a barber cut omg lol who in the right mind would pay that the dearest I paid for my lads in brissie was 39 dollars each and I thought I'd been robbed at that , that was at west end though where I live now it's 25/27 dollars each my hair is 111 dollars without a cut and a extra $35 dollars if I want a inch off it lol but I'm saving it for when I get UK next week it's 55 pounds in UK that's for me colour and my cut and they get it right haha :):) but 65 dollars for a mans cut bleeding Nora :)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just reading $65 for a barber cut omg lol who in the right mind would pay that the dearest I paid for my lads in brissie was 39 dollars each and I thought I'd been robbed at that , that was at west end though where I live now it's 25/27 dollars each my hair is 111 dollars without a cut and a extra $35 dollars if I want a inch off it lol but I'm saving it for when I get UK next week it's 55 pounds in UK that's for me colour and my cut and they get it right haha :):) but 65 dollars for a mans cut bleeding Nora :)

WA write up I expect. Talking of hair, my partner had her hair done yesterday. $245 cut/colour and blow dry. Hardly cheap but the hair dresser is one of the better ones and works from home a short distance away. It had been very difficult to find anyone here remotely up to the task. $65 is less than I pay for a wash, cut and dry which usually comes to around $70. In London I paid GBP 15 for much the same back in 2010.

WA write up I expect. Talking of hair, my partner had her hair done yesterday. $245 cut/colour and blow dry. Hardly cheap but the hair dresser is one of the better ones and works from home a short distance away. It had been very difficult to find anyone here remotely up to the task. $65 is less than I pay for a wash, cut and dry which usually comes to around $70. In London I paid GBP 15 for much the same back in 2010.

I was paying up to 100 GBP in the UK 8 years ago for cut/colour, it's about $150 here for 3 colours/foils and I have a loyalty card, so get things like a free treatment at 5 visits, 10% off at 10 visits and free hair cut at 15

I have not noticed those differences and the toughest time in my life in Sydney was in the 1980s and 1990s.

You are speaking from a personal level as a middle aged man, living with no rent concerns, no mortgage, no family, no need to seek out work, inherited property abroad, so taking the issue on a simply personal level and comparing the life situation during the decades past, well not hard to see the reasons for that.

I would say Sydney is definitely up there with the least affordable cities in the world. A job as a clerical worker that I believe you had been doing, would in present times disallow you to live most everywhere in Sydney, let alone in the centre.

I'd say certainly changed for the worse.

I was paying up to 100 GBP in the UK 8 years ago for cut/colour, it's about $150 here for 3 colours/foils and I have a loyalty card, so get things like a free treatment at 5 visits, 10% off at 10 visits and free hair cut at 15

That seems a decent price for Perth. The one we go to people from al over Perth come to as she is good. She has been flown internationally just to do hair prior to marriages, Cook Islands and Bali and even once to a Greek Island to do the hair of a client who wed there.

We get discount rates as long time customers. Never heard of a loyalty card in hairdressing. Sounds a bit industrial. Although I certainly maintain one with my local Barista who can turn his hand to a pretty mean coffee but don't think his talents reach as far as hair though he certainly passes the hipster look with flying colours.

You are speaking from a personal level as a middle aged man, living with no rent concerns, no mortgage, no family, no need to seek out work, inherited property abroad, so taking the issue on a simply personal level and comparing the life situation during the decades past, well not hard to see the reasons for that.

I would say Sydney is definitely up there with the least affordable cities in the world. A job as a clerical worker that I believe you had been doing, would in present times disallow you to live most everywhere in Sydney, let alone in the centre.

I'd say certainly changed for the worse.

I strongly agree with this. I am basically Maryrose02 (-25 years). I make $26/hr doing data entry and general administration work. I could not possibly afford to buy a flat ANYWHERE in Sydney without a significant inheritance or a massive pay rise. He obviously could. So either things have got a lot more expensive relative to incomes or Maryrose02 had a much better paying job than we are aware of OR he had significant help to buy a flat in Surry Hills. And no, I don't spend money frivolously (my phone is a used iPhone 4 that cost $80) - it all goes on rent in a 4 person share house, food and transportation expenses!

(BTW this isn't a dig at you Maryrose02 - just pointing out the glaring differences in Sydney between now and 30 yrs ago)

My son and husband go to same barbers, $29. Have had cheaper cuts at salon express but seems more dependent on particular stylist you get.

I pay about $160 for cut, foils and blow dry and am generally happy. Been to lots of different hairdressers, paid up to $250 to be left not satisfied at one particular place. It is hard to find a decent hairdresser I have to say. Paid less at mobile/special offers but been going to current place over 2 years now and relatively happy with them.

I strongly agree with this. I am basically Maryrose02 (-25 years). I make $26/hr doing data entry and general administration work. I could not possibly afford to buy a flat ANYWHERE in Sydney without a significant inheritance or a massive pay rise. He obviously could. So either things have got a lot more expensive relative to incomes or Maryrose02 had a much better paying job than we are aware of OR he had significant help to buy a flat in Surry Hills. And no, I don't spend money frivolously (my phone is a used iPhone 4 that cost $80) - it all goes on rent in a 4 person share house, food and transportation expenses!

(BTW this isn't a dig at you Maryrose02 - just pointing out the glaring differences in Sydney between now and 30 yrs ago)

They say Perth is expensive...we had a Sydney colleague visiting us last week and he was stunned at Perth prices (in a good way) 30 something with family still living with parents. 650k for a 4 bed sounded very appealing to him.

Sydney being the principle city has always has a higher price tag, naturally enough, but not to the dimensions that appeared since the 90's, slowed even regressed a bit and went ballistic and continue to do so. Largely thanks to foreign buyers many rorting the system, along with the fear provoked of course (now or never ever) which thankfully the government has only now laid claim to be addressing.

in Perth I paid 160 dollars and they didn't understand I don't have bleach they said we carny lift it without bleach I said yes you can UK can lol anyway she put bleach on it , it broke off under neath I was gutted . I give her my colours from UK she said carny do it . I then found a mobile she did it for 100 dollars and was a high lift tint which I have . She got it as near to as she could . Then I can to brissie they did the high lift tint but still not what I'm used to its alright but only alright but here they don't finish it like a salon should they quickly dry it off and no straighteners nothing . I feel crap when I come out the salon until I've done it myself . But it's ok I suppose . I have it done every 4/5 weeks as well . Carny wait get it done next week my hairdresser worked for John English and was John English trained and gets my hair exactly how I want it with a salon finish 55 quid and love it carny wait haha :)

They say Perth is expensive...we had a Sydney colleague visiting us last week and he was stunned at Perth prices (in a good way) 30 something with family still living with parents. 650k for a 4 bed sounded very appealing to him.

No Perth is expensive. It is just that Sydney is insane. When people think $650,000 in what I suppose is in an outer area burb is cheap then we really have a problem of some dimensions. Especially in what looks to be returning to the branch office status locality of here in Perth.

I think a lot of the problem is that people are not used to the distances we have here in Aus. I was reading a report yesterday as to why our houses are more expensive etc, basically it said its because we have high demand in our cities and also the negative gearing does not help, affordable housing going to investment. It also said it will remain like this because we take in so many people all the time, when we migrate this week we think we are the only ones but we in Melbourne take in at least 10,000 a week, all needing somewhere to live etc. Wages are not keeping pace with housing so its much harder to get into a house. Whereas in the UK its only a short distance to move from town to town here its a big difference and we have to move States and each State is so different that it makes it unattractive to move.

So my advice to anyone thinking of coming is to think of the whole of Europe as Australia and those are the distances involved moving around. I live in Melbourne and have done for yonks and there are places I have never been and unlikely to go to before I pop my clogs. We tend to stay in our own areas in Melbourne, there is north south east and west and we pick one and stay there and hopefully we work close by.

Its nothing like the UK here in Australia, its just different the only similarity is we speak English well some of us do.

No Perth is expensive. It is just that Sydney is insane. When people think $650,000 in what I suppose is in an outer area burb is cheap then we really have a problem of some dimensions. Especially in what looks to be returning to the branch office status locality of here in Perth.

So Perth is cheaper than Sydney then. I had no idea of Sydney prices. Would think Perth was most expensive place in Au to listen to some posts on here.

in Perth I paid 160 dollars and they didn't understand I don't have bleach they said we carny lift it without bleach I said yes you can UK can lol anyway she put bleach on it , it broke off under neath I was gutted . I give her my colours from UK she said carny do it . I then found a mobile she did it for 100 dollars and was a high lift tint which I have . She got it as near to as she could . Then I can to brissie they did the high lift tint but still not what I'm used to its alright but only alright but here they don't finish it like a salon should they quickly dry it off and no straighteners nothing . I feel crap when I come out the salon until I've done it myself . But it's ok I suppose . I have it done every 4/5 weeks as well . Carny wait get it done next week my hairdresser worked for John English and was John English trained and gets my hair exactly how I want it with a salon finish 55 quid and love it carny wait haha :)

I thought I was getting 'no bleach' when I had darker blonde for a time then hairdresser said impossible to lift hair without bleach it's just the proportions. You should look around for different hairdresser Shelly, mine always finishes it off nicely with a good blow dry and straighteners (though often not needed after the blow dry)

I thought I was getting 'no bleach' when I had darker blonde for a time then hairdresser said impossible to lift hair without bleach it's just the proportions. You should look around for different hairdresser Shelly, mine always finishes it off nicely with a good blow dry and straighteners (though often not needed after the blow dry)

I I will when I get back I carny wait get it done in UK though but I'll try another when I get back :) thanks it was a lovely creamy carny explain in UK now it's I don't know what it is it's alright but that's it alright :) I'm fussy as well lol :)

I I will when I get back I carny wait get it done in UK though but I'll try another when I get back :) thanks it was a lovely creamy carny explain in UK now it's I don't know what it is it's alright but that's it alright :) I'm fussy as well lol :)

Maybe you need a toner? My hairdresser puts one on. It's hard to explain the colour you want isn't it. I take photos in sometimes. You have to trust your hairdresser. I took a pic in last time and she said she wouldn't recommend it it was too 90's! I said that's my era! She is about 22 though.

Maybe you need a toner? My hairdresser puts one on. It's hard to explain the colour you want isn't it. I take photos in sometimes. You have to trust your hairdresser. I took a pic in last time and she said she wouldn't recommend it it was too 90's! I said that's my era! She is about 22 though.

Yea I av a toner too but still not right , very hard explain I got Charlotte back home message me colour through but they don't do that here so I make do it is ok and yes u Deffinatly have to trust ya hairdresser she's a nice girl though the one in brissie but she's about 22 also lol I'll c what it's like when Charlottes done it back home and ask charl if I can buy some bring back if I'm allowed of course lol :)

So Perth is cheaper than Sydney then. I had no idea of Sydney prices. Would think Perth was most expensive place in Au to listen to some posts on here.

Based on my experience buying and selling property around the country (including Perth even though we have never lived there) I would rate the capitals in order of property costs as follows:

Sydney

Darwin

Melbourne and Canberra about the same

Perth

Brisbane

Adelaide

Hobart

Perhaps the people who always complain about how expensive Perth is are on low incomes. Everything seems expensive if you don't have much money.

I was just looking at property prices in Perth, and TBH they don't look as expensive as I thought they would be. You can get a decent 3 bedroom house 35min train trip from the CBD for 350,000. Couldn't get a 1 BR apt in the far reaches of Sydney for that. Really wished I'd settled elsewhere in Aus now, but I've my sights set on back in the UK now!

I was just looking at property prices in Perth, and TBH they don't look as expensive as I thought they would be. You can get a decent 3 bedroom house 35min train trip from the CBD for 350,000. Couldn't get a 1 BR apt in the far reaches of Sydney for that. Really wished I'd settled elsewhere in Aus now, but I've my sights set on back in the UK now!

That's what my interstate colleague said.

Based on my experience buying and selling property around the country (including Perth even though we have never lived there) I would rate the capitals in order of property costs as follows:

Sydney

Darwin

Melbourne and Canberra about the same

Perth

Brisbane

Adelaide

Hobart

Perhaps the people who always complain about how expensive Perth is are on low incomes. Everything seems expensive if you don't have much money.

I've said it before, we are by no means well off, I only work 3 days a week and we meet our mortgage repayments comfortably. We bought in 2010.

Archived