IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

Hey Jim, don't forget the English test is a Cambridge English Test.... so in other words you'll want to speak like the queen. I failed to get all 7's on my first ielts test and I'm british, but keep trying, and keep practicing!! check this dialect video out.

Thanks for your encouragement Lukescotty, and the British accent youtube video was fascinating. After a few discussions with my mates, I don't think I would take IELTS again. I also know that you have attended PTE test and said it is easier than IELTS. So, I believe I have got the answer, and I need some professional helps to boost my skills up.

Kind regards.

Edited by Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! After 2 attempts to sit IELTS A with no improvements in writing score (6,5), I was advised by my English teacher to try other tests, because she believed that my writing deserved higher mark. I booked PTE A and finally got even more than what I needed - 81 in writing :) The test itself is quite tough, so I highly recommend to buy mock online test before sitting the real one: it really helped me to get used to the format.

I've done both. I didn't get the marks I needed in the Ielts and I couldn't wait to do another Ielts, so I ended up doing the PTE. Ielts takes all day and a few weeks to get your results. The PTE takes just a couple of hours to do and I got my result in 2 days. I prepared by doing the mock tests. I found reading out loud with the earphones and mic difficult to concentrate when I could hear everyone else. It can be a challenge to keep focus but I did it yay......and got good marks. I never want to do that again urrrgh. I felt like John Snow.....I know nothing. :-S

• 2 weeks later...
I've done both. I didn't get the marks I needed in the Ielts and I couldn't wait to do another Ielts, so I ended up doing the PTE. Ielts takes all day and a few weeks to get your results. The PTE takes just a couple of hours to do and I got my result in 2 days. I prepared by doing the mock tests. I found reading out loud with the earphones and mic difficult to concentrate when I could hear everyone else. It can be a challenge to keep focus but I did it yay......and got good marks. I never want to do that again urrrgh. I felt like John Snow.....I know nothing. :-S

What is the deal with the PTE and the noisy environment? Is it not obvious that the test requires people to be able to listen and speak without distractions the most obvious being the fact that it makes no sense to take such a test with others in the same room who are also speaking and listening at the same time. Obviously this could impact the ability to listen to what is being said.

So what am I missing? Test takers are not complaining to Pearson demanding that the test be given in private rooms?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I just received my scores.

Communicative Skills:

Listening - 90

Reading - 83

Speaking - 90

Writing - 90

Enabling Skills:

Grammar - 90

Oral Fluency - 90

Pronunciation - 90

Spelling - 90

Vocabulary - 77

Written Discourse - 90

If you need help,

I'm currently in Delhi.

Edited by VERYSTORMY
forum rules

Communicative Skills:

Listening - 90

Reading - 83

Speaking - 90

Writing - 90

Enabling Skills:

Grammar - 90

Oral Fluency - 90

Pronunciation - 90

Spelling - 90

Vocabulary - 77

Written Discourse - 90

If you need help,

I'm currently in Delhi.

Hi Akanksha,

I just gave my IELTS -G exam ut not confident about the results, so thinking to prepare for the PTE now and then appear for test after a month or so. Can you please send me some study material and links to practise tests, strategies for each section of the test. I am from Mumbai so let me know if you can share the study material over emails etc.

Thanks in advance !

Prashant

Communicative Skills:

Listening - 90

Reading - 83

Speaking - 90

Writing - 90

Enabling Skills:

Grammar - 90

Oral Fluency - 90

Pronunciation - 90

Spelling - 90

Vocabulary - 77

Written Discourse - 90

If you need help,

I'm currently in Delhi.

dear friend,

can you please please provide me with any tips and revision materials you may have? i have done ielts 3 times and am really at my wits end. i am unable to send you a private message as this is a new account. thanks in advance

dear friend,

can you please please provide me with any tips and revision materials you may have? i have done ielts 3 times and am really at my wits end. i am unable to send you a private message as this is a new account. thanks in advance

Hi there,

Send me a message

Edited by MaggieMay24
Email removed

Hi Akanksha,

I just gave my IELTS -G exam ut not confident about the results, so thinking to prepare for the PTE now and then appear for test after a month or so. Can you please send me some study material and links to practise tests, strategies for each section of the test. I am from Mumbai so let me know if you can share the study material over emails etc.

Thanks in advance !

Prashant

Hi there,

Send me a message.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Email removed

I know there are lots of positive stories out there about the PTE academic, but I thought I should put the other side. The fact that this is a computer marked test can lead to problems. They charge pretty much the same about for a rescore, which is done by the same computers and so totally pointless.

i scored 90,90,90,60. The 60 for speaking. I am a native British born, university educated professional. I have always lived in England and have no particular accent. I am considered well spoken. I spoke clearly and had practiced and knew the requirements.

I questioned the result. After strong persuasion they rechecked the technical aspect of the test and claimed it was fine. I didn't pay for a rescore as it seemed a simple way to throw more money away.

i am in no doubt that there was some issue with the sound recording. Either the other, loud, candidates voices were picked up, or my (extremely flimsy) headphone/microphone combo wasn't working effectively.

I certainly wouldn't retake it at the same centre. On the same day as me, 2 other candidates faced a retake due to computer malfunctions. None of the tests are ideal, the PTE certainly wasted my money and time.

• 2 weeks later...
I know there are lots of positive stories out there about the PTE academic, but I thought I should put the other side. The fact that this is a computer marked test can lead to problems. They charge pretty much the same about for a rescore, which is done by the same computers and so totally pointless.

i scored 90,90,90,60. The 60 for speaking. I am a native British born, university educated professional. I have always lived in England and have no particular accent. I am considered well spoken. I spoke clearly and had practiced and knew the requirements.

I questioned the result. After strong persuasion they rechecked the technical aspect of the test and claimed it was fine. I didn't pay for a rescore as it seemed a simple way to throw more money away.

i am in no doubt that there was some issue with the sound recording. Either the other, loud, candidates voices were picked up, or my (extremely flimsy) headphone/microphone combo wasn't working effectively.

I certainly wouldn't retake it at the same centre. On the same day as me, 2 other candidates faced a retake due to computer malfunctions. None of the tests are ideal, the PTE certainly wasted my money and time.

I feel the same, although just with a practice test. I am also British, although I do have a relatively strong accent.

My scores were as follows:

Listening: 60

Reading: 63

Speaking: 27

Writing: 84

Grammar: 67

Oral Fluency: 10

Pronunciation: 10

Spelling: 19

Vocabulary: 49

Written Discourse: 90

This is putting me off taking a second practice or booking an actual test. I have contacted them to inquire about it and hopefully get a free practice test again, not holding my breath however.

• 4 weeks later...
My partner is born and bread British and he said the test centre setting was not appropriate and so he went for his ielts test for the 3rd time and finally passed xx

That's terrified. May I ask what score he got from the third time IELTS test?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So, I just thought I would give some input into this from a migration agent point of view.

We have had lots of clients doing the English tests, and our feeling based on those cases is that 80% to 90% of people are getting better results with PTE. A few get worse results, go figure.

My personal opinion, sheer conjecture, is IELTS used to control the show (as the only test accepted), so they knew they could fail people and those people would just have to come back. I think the PTE guys are trying to steal some of the market share, so they are giving out better results, so that the public and agents recommend them to other people.

Ultimately the reason doesn't matter, only the outcome. :)

I don't think one test is easier than the other, but I have only sat the IELTS test myself so I don't know from personal experience. I sat IELTS once, didn't prepare (other than through a lifetime of speaking & writing!), and got 9, 9, 9, 8.5.

PS We are mostly dealing with non-native English speakers, so I can't say the same results apply for native speakers.

Edited by chrispeck
Afterthought

Hi All, I just sat the IELTS two weeks ago after a week of preparation, I am a native English speaker. I received my result back yesterday as 9,9,8,8. It's an awkward experience as a native speaker and from my point of view did require some prep and everyone should do some at least - there are many free practice papers on the net. If you are an educated English native speaker listening and speaking will be easy. Reading requires some practise in my opinion (depending on how strong you are with reading in general) and writing also has some technique to it. I am educated to a masters level but mainly deal with numbers at work, but do need to write documents for management and board level in my role. I would suggest taking the preparation seriously as a native speaker.

The test itself is also quite strange compared to the exams I have taken in the past (a lot). You have to wait quite a while before the exam and have your photo taken, even though you have photo proof of identity. All parts of the exam are one after the other, even though they are essentially individual exams in themselves (apart from speaking which is much later in the day). There are also quite frequent periods where you cannot leave the room, even to go to the toilet. As listening is played only once, you cannot leave without missing part of the test. When documents are collected at the end and you're all getting seated and documents are given at the beginning, you also cannot leave. In my opinion this was quite strange and not that comfortable, and could be handled better. Despite all this, I did get the result needed, so taking the exam seriously is the main way to ensure success. Good luck.

Excellent article Supercow.

I have also attempted IELTS 4 times as need 8 in all bands to secure the 20 points for English language requirement. Inspite of overall band score being 8.5 on all occasions, the first 2 times, I was let down by Writing (7.5), third time received 8 in all including Writing but Reading dropped to 7.5. And fourth attempt, after my result being delayed for 3 weeks due to QA and compliance checks, Writing again dropped 7.5 - cannot understand what is happening. If at all, if its anything, may be my writing.

Who in this day and age actually writes a letter??? IELTS are completely useless and all they need is £££ and are looking at ways to try and trick you into NOT getting scores, so you keep reattempting.

I am at 60 points but seems the queue for my code is too long and so the only way is to get the maximum in English requirements, which means taking PTE-A definitely over IELTS.

Anyone has the PTE A book which I could borrow please for a month?

Hi Supercow,

You still have the PTE A book which I could borrow please for a month?

I have also attempted IELTS 4 times as need 8 in all bands to secure the 20 points for English language requirement. Inspite of overall band score being 8.5 on all occasions, the first 2 times, I was let down by Writing (7.5), third time received 8 in all including Writing but Reading dropped to 7.5. And fourth attempt, after my result being delayed for 3 weeks due to QA and compliance checks, Writing again dropped 7.5 - cannot understand what is happening. If at all, if its anything, may be my writing.

Who in this day and age actually writes a letter??? IELTS are completely useless and all they need is £££ and are looking at ways to try and trick you into NOT getting scores, so you keep reattempting.

I am at 60 points but seems the queue for my code is too long and so the only way is to get the maximum in English requirements, which means taking PTE-A definitely over IELTS.

Hello ,

I am new on this forum ( this is my first day here)

Reason why I joined , I found a lot of discussions regarding PTE exam.

We are in process of obtaining AU visa , but as many people IELTS is in our way of scoring points .:))

My wife took IELTS 9 times ...8.5/7.5/7/7 in most of the cases , so it is almost impossible to score 8 ..I believe they are counting on fact that people who wants to move to AU need higher score , so they are using this fact to make money..I have no doubt on this...anyway

I found a lot of positive comments on PTE , but I could not find much materials on net.

it will be very helpful for me if someone can point places ( sites , boos , etc) where I can find stuff for PTE..I want to be prepared in few mouths :))

thank you !

KD