Need Advice on living in Perth?

Christo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brisbane has a lot more people than Perth and is rapidly growing. It's not just locals and foreigners that are buying. It's also all the investors who are sitting on 50%+ equity in their Sydney and Melbourne investments - itching to try their luck again in Brisbane. Some markets in Brisbane have truly come and gone but there are still others for investors who play the short-term cycle(2 to 3 years).

I read a few article about how wealthy Indians are increasingly looking overseas for asset protection and what not. Apparently, India has more multi-millionaires than Australia and is only set to grow in the coming years. However, majority of them seem to be interested in EU, US and Singapore. Wouldn't be long before they start looking at Australia. However, investor visas in Australia are a joke. $5mil AUD vs 1Mil euro in Malta for example.

For a country that is so desperate for immigrants, one would think the Govt would make it more amicable for investors wanting to settle here but no we just bumped the investment thresholds. Why would anyone want to bring their money here when countries like Singapore have much lower taxes and a very high standard of living?

I think if there was a WW III then it would be between China and India, two very massive, in every sense of the word, countries trying to be No. 1 fighting over god knows what.

We have more than enough overseas investors thank you very much. You refer to those wanting to immigrate on investment visa rather than those remaining abroad. I would query both for different reasons.

The reason why foreign investors will continue to invest in Australia are numerous. It is freehold. It is safe. Easy and compliant country to laundry funds. The big one of course is it is getting ever cheaper with the dollar in apparent free fall.

Singapore does have a lot of investment as well but property there is very expensive but probably not the dream house that can be constructed in countries like Canada/USA/Australia and so on. Malta by the way is attractive for Russian investors. I noticed there presence clearly when there last there. Barely a Chinese/Indian person in sight.

We'll see with regards to Brisbane. Money chasing lower cost I'd imagine at the moment. QLD being a more diverse economically state than WA will no doubt come out better. How much so remains to be seen.

We have more than enough overseas investors thank you very much. You refer to those wanting to immigrate on investment visa rather than those remaining abroad. I would query both for different reasons.

The reason why foreign investors will continue to invest in Australia are numerous. It is freehold. It is safe. Easy and compliant country to laundry funds. The big one of course is it is getting ever cheaper with the dollar in apparent free fall.

Singapore does have a lot of investment as well but property there is very expensive but probably not the dream house that can be constructed in countries like Canada/USA/Australia and so on. Malta by the way is attractive for Russian investors. I noticed there presence clearly when there last there. Barely a Chinese/Indian person in sight.

We'll see with regards to Brisbane. Money chasing lower cost I'd imagine at the moment. QLD being a more diverse economically state than WA will no doubt come out better. How much so remains to be seen.

Investors wanting to migrate - If they want to bring their family and money here as opposed to a skilled migrant who just brings family - Wouldn't it better to have the former? They invest not just in real-estate but in business and thereby job creation.

IIRC, Singapore limits the (dream) house to Singaporeans only - not that many can actually afford one but probably for the better.

Malta was just for comparison - apparently US and UK are still destinations of top interest for investors from both China and India to migrate to.

Investors wanting to migrate - If they want to bring their family and money here as opposed to a skilled migrant who just brings family - Wouldn't it better to have the former? They invest not just in real-estate but in business and thereby job creation.

IIRC, Singapore limits the (dream) house to Singaporeans only - not that many can actually afford one but probably for the better.

Malta was just for comparison - apparently US and UK are still destinations of top interest for investors from both China and India to migrate to.

Singapore certainly has the right idea. I am not at al sure what a filthy rich Chinese citizen would want with Australia outside of the obvious. That being a passport firstly, and park money secondly.

Why would most Chinese invest a fortune in Australia? far greater profits to be made elsewhere. High and difficult labour costs. And to purchase several houses (already constructed) I hardly see that as adding to value. More likely extradite funds offshore when time is right.

Singapore certainly has the right idea. I am not at al sure what a filthy rich Chinese citizen would want with Australia outside of the obvious. That being a passport firstly, and park money secondly.

Why would most Chinese invest a fortune in Australia? far greater profits to be made elsewhere. High and difficult labour costs. And to purchase several houses (already constructed) I hardly see that as adding to value. More likely extradite funds offshore when time is right.

That is a real possibility but I also see no small number of skilled migrants on this forum and elsewhere just waiting for their citizenship and heading out to wherever they please for all sorts of reasons. Agree about parking funds.

And yes, with investment thresholds set to $5mil and $15mil it'll only attract the filthy rich as opposed to something in the $500k to $1mil range where they are more likely to settle down.

Edited by toOZ2012

The amount of wealth in China and India is unbelievable. You are right, given the choice Perth wouldn't be the best choice for investment but you never know. Small market combined with a tiny boom can do wonders if timed right. Speaking of hot markets, Brissie still has a lot of steam left before it peaks.

I don't know about real estate prices in those European countries but surely they can't be cheap? Better quality maybe. Sadly, neither Singapore nor Australia has free movement rights with EU so much harder for me to just jump ship unless I get one of those EU blue cards and accelerate my residency.

India and China are disgusting if what you say about wealth in those countries is true. They have people living in some of the worse slums in the World, with no social support to fall back on and Australia and the rest of the World are depending on them to get the World out of the poo. They can't even sort out their own affairs and their own people. Both places are so corrupt.

Brisbane has a lot more people than Perth and is rapidly growing. It's not just locals and foreigners that are buying. It's also all the investors who are sitting on 50%+ equity in their Sydney and Melbourne investments - itching to try their luck again in Brisbane. Some markets in Brisbane have truly come and gone but there are still others for investors who play the short-term cycle(2 to 3 years).

I read a few article about how wealthy Indians are increasingly looking overseas for asset protection and what not. Apparently, India has more multi-millionaires than Australia and is only set to grow in the coming years. However, majority of them seem to be interested in EU, US and Singapore. Wouldn't be long before they start looking at Australia. However, investor visas in Australia are a joke. $5mil AUD vs 1Mil euro in Malta for example.

For a country that is so desperate for immigrants, one would think the Govt would make it more amicable for investors wanting to settle here but no we just bumped the investment thresholds. Why would anyone want to bring their money here when countries like Singapore have much lower taxes and a very high standard of living?

I think if there was a WW III then it would be between China and India, two very massive, in every sense of the word, countries trying to be No. 1 fighting over god knows what.

If they're as loaded as they say they are Aus is a much nicer place to live that Singapore IMO. It's a bit plasticy and over crowded and very expensive. Beaches are crap, ocean is polluted. We may as well get as much out of them as we can. If they don't have anything to offer other than money then it should be at least $5mill.

India and China are disgusting if what you say about wealth in those countries is true. They have people living in some of the worse slums in the World, with no social support to fall back on and Australia and the rest of the World are depending on them to get the World out of the poo. They can't even sort out their own affairs and their own people. Both places are so corrupt.

Very true. The gap between the rich and poor is alarming in those countries.

If they're as loaded as they say they are Aus is a much nicer place to live that Singapore IMO. It's a bit plasticy and over crowded and very expensive. Beaches are crap, ocean is polluted. We may as well get as much out of them as we can. If they don't have anything to offer other than money then it should be at least $5mill.

Yes but our neighbor NZ and EU country Malta, even UK, the US and Canada for that matter have much cheaper options. Why do you think it's just wealth they are bringing in? If an average skilled migrant brings skills - I am sure not all wealthy investors got wealthy by inheritance especially in China and India. Economies of those countries are taking off and people are getting richer as a result.

Hey, what's wrong with Singapore. Not everyone cares about oceans and beaches you know (Don't count me as one of them though) :)

Make no mistake Australia is corrupt as well. Not to the extent of the other two countries mentioned but a long and noteworthy history of corruption that crosses most sections of society is easy to discover.

Of course China could devour Australia with some ease. The folk of influence increasingly appear well tuned to selling us down the swany making bucket loads doing so.

Well Singaporeans do favour Perth in numbers. I think the largest number in Australia call Perth home. I don't agree only the very wealthy though should be admitted. Thet will likely buy real estate galore and return to Asia to make the real money.

Singapore like Hong Kong and other Asian hotspots are the places to make a lot of money. I doubt these people would care about beaches. They want a vibrant environment 24/7 with lots happening and opportunities galore to make money.

Hi guys I been here almost 20 years if you have any questions just ask and I can find out for you. Accommodation, work, housing, suburbs, cars, etc.

Regards Christian

Hi Christian

Many have mentioned on this website that Perth cost of living is much higher than other cities. Can you please shed some light whether this is true or not?

Thanks

Edited by CaptainC
Fixed quote

Well I can think of a few things actually. Autocratic. Paternal. Expensive. Money focused. For starters. Always preferred Malaysia across the causeway myself but not for their politics.

The money focused bit is right. Expensive is a relative term and I find Australia a lot more expensive. Housing is expensive in Singapore and owning a car but everything is a lot more affordable. There is government built housing that ordinary people can actually afford. The health system is highly efficient (economically) The ruling party is taking notice of peoples unhappiness and beginning to change since last election.

Oceans and beaches, seriously. Yes Singapore is a wonderful place, the only place outside of the UK my wife would willingly choose to live.

Yeah, one the reasons why I left.

Don't most women - Singapore is really a chick magnet - the never ending shopping malls, constant sale, nightlife, food culture and being central to everything.

The money focused bit is right. Expensive is a relative term and I find Australia a lot more expensive. Housing is expensive in Singapore and owning a car but everything is a lot more affordable. There is government built housing that ordinary people can actually afford. The health system is highly efficient (economically) The ruling party is taking notice of peoples unhappiness and beginning to change since last election.

Good to hear that the ruling party is taking notice of peoples disquiet. I am aware the health system is top notch in Asia but is it affordable to all?. I recall a few decades back complaints from a few low income people with regards to health concerns. I wonder if The Ugly Singaporean thing is still discussed?

Yes that it what I meant by paternal with regards to government housing.

Australia is indeed more expensive than Singapore. But then it is compared to a number of European countries as well.

Good to hear that the ruling party is taking notice of peoples disquiet. I am aware the health system is top notch in Asia but is it affordable to all?. I recall a few decades back complaints from a few low income people with regards to health concerns. I wonder if The Ugly Singaporean thing is still discussed?

Yes that it what I meant by paternal with regards to government housing.

Australia is indeed more expensive than Singapore. But then it is compared to a number of European countries as well.

The health system is not as generous as Medicare but it also prevents a lot of abuse. There are quite a few safety nets and private insurance is quite affordable and a lot of companies make that part of the packet. However, from time to time people slip through the cracks. I saw this one story where the person didn't even know about the (complex) multitired safety net until media found him and set him on his way.

The ugly Singaporean debate pops up every now and then. Singapore is a place of polite people but only when interaction is involved. Some seem to be turning a blind eye instead of offering help. IMO, Singapore can learn a thing or two from the Japanese. The politest people I've ever met - they literally go out of their way to help.

The health system is not as generous as Medicare but it also prevents a lot of abuse. There are quite a few safety nets and private insurance is quite affordable and a lot of companies make that part of the packet. However, from time to time people slip through the cracks. I saw this one story where the person didn't even know about the (complex) multitired safety net until media found him and set him on his way.

The ugly Singaporean debate pops up every now and then. Singapore is a place of polite people but only when interaction is involved. Some seem to be turning a blind eye instead of offering help. IMO, Singapore can learn a thing or two from the Japanese. The politest people I've ever met - they literally go out of their way to help.

A lot of the ugly Singaporean debate outside of manners on home turf, seemed from memory to include an abuse of the freebies. For example at buffet type situations, taking excess food to be consumed outside later. A general lack of interest or concern for others and total self absorption. Hardly unique these days though I guess.

Hey, what's wrong with Singapore. Not everyone cares about oceans and beaches you know (Don't count me as one of them though) :)

Singapore is OK. We called there when we emigrated for a few days. Singapore Airlines didn't charge any extra for the stopover. We had a holiday on Sentosa a couple of years back and was a bit disappointed TBH. Hotel was good but the beaches were dirty, covered in cigarette butts, party poppers and general litter, drinks and eating out was very expensive and it's very crowded. I guess we are just spoiled with the space good weather and clean beaches in WA.

My niece worked there for a while when she was finishing her architecture degree off. Said the work ethic is a bit much. Basically she likes to get in early so did that the first couple of days but got some funny looks when she left at 5:00. She was sharing an apartment with girl she worked with and they clued her up that no-one really left until the boss left. Turned out that he didn't leave till about 8:00 at night.

She didn't mind it as it was good experience but she said their life was work, grab a bite to eat from the street vendors on the way home and same the next day. Great if you want your life to revolve around work.:no:

A lot of the ugly Singaporean debate outside of manners on home turf, seemed from memory to include an abuse of the freebies. For example at buffet type situations, taking excess food to be consumed outside later. A general lack of interest or concern for others and total self absorption. Hardly unique these days though I guess.

There is this joke. When MM Lee visited the UK(I think) in the 50's he saw people people put in money, the box opens and they only take 1 newspaper. He though to himself, wow - what a civilized country. One day Singapore will be like this. Fast forward 50 years, Singaporeans take the paper and also take the money. Was a joke, of course, but good to put things in contrast. The first generation of Singaporeans rose from the dirt, I guess old habits die hard. The younger generations have slowly grown out of it.

The coming election will be a tough one. Last election was a very close call for the ruling party.

Interesting tidbit: HK'ers, humorously, call Singapore as Lee Dynasty (Reference to the Lee family being in power).

A culture of air heads?

Indeed. There was a public outcry over why so much credit is available to average income earners. It's a bit better now but only a few years ago, you'll have seen some of the most ridiculous offers from Banks to entice people to take up credit and go broke. Financial *agents* had the authority to get people to sign-up for credit in train stations, shopping malls, busy streets. Banks pay these *agents* and the cycle repeats. Offers such as a new $1000 laptop just to take up a $15,000 personal loan are not that uncommon. The official credit limit for most banks is 4 times monthly salary but they don't factor in what other banks have already lent. I think the govt set the official overall limit to 20 times monthly salary for all banks combined.

I think this also has a lot to do with growing middle class like in many developing nations that just go on spending sprees as they never had the experience of actually spending money let alone going broke from overspending.

But for people who have some decent money management skills, especially women, can find real bargains and value for their money.