Need Advice on living in Perth?

Christo

Singapore is OK. We called there when we emigrated for a few days. Singapore Airlines didn't charge any extra for the stopover. We had a holiday on Sentosa a couple of years back and was a bit disappointed TBH. Hotel was good but the beaches were dirty, covered in cigarette butts, party poppers and general litter, drinks and eating out was very expensive and it's very crowded. I guess we are just spoiled with the space good weather and clean beaches in WA.

My niece worked there for a while when she was finishing her architecture degree off. Said the work ethic is a bit much. Basically she likes to get in early so did that the first couple of days but got some funny looks when she left at 5:00. She was sharing an apartment with girl she worked with and they clued her up that no-one really left until the boss left. Turned out that he didn't leave till about 8:00 at night.

She didn't mind it as it was good experience but she said their life was work, grab a bite to eat from the street vendors on the way home and same the next day. Great if you want your life to revolve around work.:no:

Depends on the company and profession, I think. We were expected to complete our tasks but had great flexibility. Nowhere near as flexible as Europe or Australia for that matter but Australia is also moving towards a system where employees are expected to work extra hours.

When I first moved here, a sales engineer and his boss came over to meet me. I asked the boss a question about something and he said I'll let him(sales engineer) answer that - that's what I pay him for. Heard similar *insults* from other people over time. I don't know if it's a uniquely Perth thing to insult employees in front of clients, thinking it's clever/funny. or if it is an Australia wide thing. In Asia, India and may be other countries. Employers never make personal comments in front of others - the whole saving face thing is really important for a lot of people.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is this joke. When MM Lee visited the UK(I think) in the 50's he saw people people put in money, the box opens and they only take 1 newspaper. He though to himself, wow - what a civilized country. One day Singapore will be like this. Fast forward 50 years, Singaporeans take the paper and also take the money. Was a joke, of course, but good to put things in contrast. The first generation of Singaporeans rose from the dirt, I guess old habits die hard. The younger generations have slowly grown out of it.

The coming election will be a tough one. Last election was a very close call for the ruling party.

Interesting tidbit: HK'ers, humorously, call Singapore as Lee Dynasty (Reference to the Lee family being in power).

I recall Singapore having the longest political prisoner under lock and key. Also how Lee would take to the cleaners any opposition that dared attack him with words personally. I don't remember his name was I was around the traps when that ethnic Indian politician felt the full brunt of Lees anger.

Are they really in trouble? I personally would love to see a change of direction there. I'm afraid I haven't kept abreast of Singaporean politics. Malaysian keep me fully entertained though.

Depends on the company and profession, I think. We were expected to complete our tasks but had great flexibility. Nowhere near as flexible as Europe or Australia for that matter but Australia is also moving towards a system where employees are expected to work extra hours.

When I first moved here, a sales engineer and his boss came over to meet me. I asked the boss a question about something and he said I'll let him(sales engineer) answer that - that's what I pay him for. Heard similar *insults* from other people over time. I don't know if it's a uniquely Perth thing to insult employees in front of clients, thinking it's clever/funny. or if it is an Australia wide thing. In Asia, India and may be other countries. Employers never make personal comments in front of others - the whole saving face thing is really important for a lot of people.

Face saving more an Asian thing, to which the Australian style or lack of can appear very offensive to say the least to Asian folk. Aussie businessmen once had a very poor reputation in Asia for being completely ignorant to the ways of conducting business in the region. No idea if it has improved substantially, but of course far more people now are Asian in business these days and speak the language as mother tongue of the country they are conducting business in.

I personally do not like the style of management in Perth to say the least and have had major fallings out. That is a subject by itself and no need to go into that in this thread apart from saying good luck. You may well be one of the lucky ones where it all comes together.

Indeed. There was a public outcry over why so much credit is available to average income earners. It's a bit better now but only a few years ago, you'll have seen some of the most ridiculous offers from Banks to entice people to take up credit and go broke. Financial *agents* had the authority to get people to sign-up for credit in train stations, shopping malls, busy streets. Banks pay these *agents* and the cycle repeats. Offers such as a new $1000 laptop just to take up a $15,000 personal loan are not that uncommon. The official credit limit for most banks is 4 times monthly salary but they don't factor in what other banks have already lent. I think the govt set the official overall limit to 20 times monthly salary for all banks combined.

I think this also has a lot to do with growing middle class like in many developing nations that just go on spending sprees as they never had the experience of actually spending money let alone going broke from overspending.

But for people who have some decent money management skills, especially women, can find real bargains and value for their money.

Hardly unique to Singapore though, throwing money at punters. Australia's personal debt stands at 33 Billion. Much of that invested in over inflated real estate. Regardless the highest in the world, or very close to it.

I recall Singapore having the longest political prisoner under lock and key. Also how Lee would take to the cleaners any opposition that dared attack him with words personally. I don't remember his name was I was around the traps when that ethnic Indian politician felt the full brunt of Lees anger.

Are they really in trouble? I personally would love to see a change of direction there. I'm afraid I haven't kept abreast of Singaporean politics. Malaysian keep me fully entertained though.

Lee family has a habit of strong arming anyone that goes against their interests. They certainly are in trouble, I just heard from friends about the full on political campaign going on at the moment.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I just wanted to ask, is it possible to cycle safely across the swan river to Perth CBD? I've seen that there are big busy roads crossing the river, the Causeway, crossing Heirrison island, and the Kwinnana freeway. We we're thinking of suburbs to live in, and we'd like it to be a short cycle to the CBd, was considering South Perth, or Victoria park. Thanks in anticipation for your help!

This is a fab thread. Where do I start haha. I'd love to know how much money we should be prepared to bring over to start up. How is the current work situation for painter and decorators?

Look on line to get an idea of costs for rents on realestate.com.au and things like groceries on Coles.com.au. Household bills are about the same as the UK. You should have enough money to last all your living costs for 6 months while you find work. Then add on things like buying a car.

Hi, I just wanted to ask, is it possible to cycle safely across the swan river to Perth CBD? I've seen that there are big busy roads crossing the river, the Causeway, crossing Heirrison island, and the Kwinnana freeway. We we're thinking of suburbs to live in, and we'd like it to be a short cycle to the CBd, was considering South Perth, or Victoria park. Thanks in anticipation for your help!

Yes, the roads have cycle paths running alongside. Though if you will want to cycle in high heat or in heavy rain?

Yes very possible to cycle the routes given. Victoria Park is no distance from the City at all. Just take care cycling on Albany Highway. Heirrison Island is crossed by cycle path.

From South Perth, pretty much cycle path all the way. I lived once in Applecross, down from South Perth and cycled a lot to both Perth and Fremantle without problem.

Both areas you are contemplating would be fine to cycle.

Yes very possible to cycle the routes given. Victoria Park is no distance from the City at all. Just take care cycling on Albany Highway. Heirrison Island is crossed by cycle path.

From South Perth, pretty much cycle path all the way. I lived once in Applecross, down from South Perth and cycled a lot to both Perth and Fremantle without problem.

Both areas you are contemplating would be fine to cycle.

Thanks very much for your responses, I was thinking originally that, with my husband's desire to cycle to work, we could only look at suburbs like subiaco, Claremont and Nedlands, but this knowledge will definitely give us more options. Much appreciated.

Thanks very much for your responses, I was thinking originally that, with my husband's desire to cycle to work, we could only look at suburbs like subiaco, Claremont and Nedlands, but this knowledge will definitely give us more options. Much appreciated.

Very welcome. All close to Inner city locations would be applicable. Try and stay of the road as much as possible. One thing that should be remembered is that Perth, is one of the few cities in the world, where pedestrians share paths with cyclists. Not a match made in heaven in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Christo

Great idea for a thread. My boyfriend and I are coming to Perth in December and for the first few weeks whilst we get on our feet, we are staying with a few of his friends, which is great in terms of taking off some of the pressure in finding somewhere to live. Just wondering in terms of jobs on a working holiday visa. When i went to Sydney on my first working holiday visa I found it really hard to find a job as I found lots of other backpackers were flocking in their millions to Sydney and applying for the jobs. I want to ideally find some temp office work or something in Perth. In your opinion, or to the best of your knowledge, do you know what it's like for jobs of this type over there at the moment? Thanks for any help. Emma