Need Advice on living in Perth?

Christo

Yes I think they do. If you had the opportunity to move to an area that had schools that were good as oppose to some of the worst in Australia then I would want to know. Tell me where the good schools are in Kwinana, or Mirrabooka?

My views are based on statistics - I know how to use the information on the http://www.myschool.edu.au/ web site, not just in terms of NAPLAN results (many schools in Perth are significantly below the national average) but also to look at number of ESL students, finance and ICSEA values, what is the impact of 85% attendance rates etc. I also know how to interpret http://www.scsa.wa.edu.au/internet/Publications/Reports/Statistical_Reports/School_Comparison_Statistics

not just in terms of league tables but what each section means. Why? because I am a lecturer in education in Perth which has involved observing student teachers in numerous schools in Perth, worked as a consultant for the Education department visiting over 30 schools in Perth, from Alkimos down to Rockingham and worked in several private schools.

The staff at the primary schools in Mirrabooka are fantastic and the Sudanese kids are great, lovely to hear their experiences of switching on a light for the first time or using a flushing toilet and you could say they are good schools, they are doing really interesting things for the over 60% second language learners that make up the school population. Most of the kids have experienced severe trauma before coming to Australia and now severe poverty. The best teachers in the world can't manage great educational standards because they are dealing with behavioural, language, emotional issues and abuse. They are good schools, doing great things, but not where your average POM wants their children to go to school. The social problems at the primary schools in Kwinana are huge in terms of neglect, abuse, drug and alcohol problems. Over 13% of kids don't graduate from the local high school and the chances of getting an ATAR to get into Uni is practically nil Most parents would rate a good school as good educational standards, supportive parents, few behaviour problems so that teachers can teach and not a high turn over of staff. There are several suburbs where you are not going to get that and I am sure new migrants would like to know where to go, or which is the best of a couple of options. We should not pretend that it is is all sunshine and roses, this is the reality.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think they do. If you had the opportunity to move to an area that had schools that were good as oppose to some of the worst in Australia then I would want to know. Tell me where the good schools are in Kwinana, or Mirrabooka?

My views are based on statistics - I know how to use the information on the http://www.myschool.edu.au/ web site, not just in terms of NAPLAN results (many schools in Perth are significantly below the national average) but also to look at number of ESL students, finance and ICSEA values, what is the impact of 85% attendance rates etc. I also know how to interpret http://www.scsa.wa.edu.au/internet/Publications/Reports/Statistical_Reports/School_Comparison_Statistics

not just in terms of league tables but what each section means. Why? because I am a lecturer in education in Perth which has involved observing student teachers in numerous schools in Perth, worked as a consultant for the Education department visiting over 30 schools in Perth, from Alkimos down to Rockingham and worked in several private schools.

The staff at the primary schools in Mirrabooka are fantastic and the Sudanese kids are great, lovely to hear their experiences of switching on a light for the first time or using a flushing toilet and you could say they are good schools, they are doing really interesting things for the over 60% second language learners that make up the school population. Most of the kids have experienced severe trauma before coming to Australia and now severe poverty. The best teachers in the world can't manage great educational standards because they are dealing with behavioural, language, emotional issues and abuse. They are good schools, doing great things, but not where your average POM wants their children to go to school. The social problems at the primary schools in Kwinana are huge in terms of neglect, abuse, drug and alcohol problems. Over 13% of kids don't graduate from the local high school and the chances of getting an ATAR to get into Uni is practically nil Most parents would rate a good school as good educational standards, supportive parents, few behaviour problems so that teachers can teach and not a high turn over of staff. There are several suburbs where you are not going to get that and I am sure new migrants would like to know where to go, or which is the best of a couple of options. We should not pretend that it is is all sunshine and roses, this is the reality.

Well Bob1, thanks for that. I think you could greatly add to Christo's thread, seeing as you know so much about where good and bad schools are and which areas to avoid. It's good for everyone, especially new migrants, to get the full picture. You're right, you wouldn't want to move half way round the World to find your kids in a worse school than where you moved from.

Maybe you could do a suburb by suburb, good and bad schools list?:cool:

• 1 month later...

Hi Just wondering what agencies you could recommend for nurses in Perth as I noticed one of your eaarlier messages? I am coming over in November hopefully as an RGN. Also wondering if anyone new the rules on renting properties when on a Working holiday Visa? Thank you for any or all help.

Hi Christian,

Thanks. We are about to lodge in our 186 visa. Hubby is mechaincal engineer ( consultancy;project management). What is the job situation like in Perth for mechanical engineers please? Secondly, which are the best areas for a family of 4 to live in ? I will be worth for St John in midlands,but was told to steer clear of living in midlans by HR. What's your advise please? Cecilia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Christian,

We're new to the forum and would love some advise if you can help!

My husband and I are originally from the UK and have lived in Cairns, QLD for 7 years. I work in the aviation industry and have been offered a really great job in Perth. My husband is happy to move, he works for himself & just wants me to be happy in my job too (which I've never really been in Cairns). My concern is that all I've heard is that Perth is very expensive & the fact that we visited Perth 7 years ago for a week and didn't like it, doesn't really inspired me. I'm so confused, do I go for the Job and maybe risk loosing a relaxed lifestyle that I have in Cairns or do we stay in Cairns with no career prospects???

I've read that Perth is 'righting' itself with regards to the cost of things, is that true?

Are there nice suburbs within 30mins to the airport that are close to the beach?

Any information would be gratefully received,

Thanks

I've lived in Perth for 23 years and have travelled extensively around Aus with my job. I really don't know why people forever go on about how expensive Perth is. It's maybe a little more than eating out in Sydney and other capitals but that depends on where you go. We've just had our Niece and her boyfriend staying with us and they certainly didn't complain about it being expensive. The booze is a bit on the pricey side of you go out to a pub on nightclub but is cheap in bottle shops.

There are as many cheap places to eat as anywhere else. You just have to know where they are. One of my personal favourites is Kulcha in Joondalup. Starters for about $6, mains about $15, cheap beer. Popular with students and usually busy but the food is good.

If you were here 7 years ago for a week you hardly scratched the surface and it's improved a lot since then.

You might be a bit pushed to get from a beachside suburb to the airport in 30 mins, specially at the time when everyone else is heading to work. We live in a beachside suburb, 10 mins away from Joondalup and a friend of ours used to to travel to the airport every day. I guess you would be looking at closer to 45 mins in rush hour but we love our suburb and it's worth being near the beach. I work on Stirling Highway, not far from UWA and it takes me about the same time to get to work. Been ding it for years and I would rather live near the beach and travel. It's not a big burden.

I would go for the job.

Thanks so much for your advice and the information you've given me. Wow, those food prices are alot cheaper than Cairns! I guess we're just settled here with a nice house & I'm worried that I'll have a great job but my personal life may suffer. My husband is a renovator, he buys houses renovates them & then places them back on the market, do you feel that he would be able to do that in Perth?

Thanks again.

Can't see why not. There should be a bigger market and more opportunities in Perth I would have thought. We are supposed to be on a downturn but you wouldn't know it. There may be more money to be made in apartment renovation as there are a few older ones in Perth where I reckon a bit of an update could generate a lot of cash. I'm sure your hubby would have more idea than me though.

I have a couple of builder, carpenter friends who are site managers and running their own projects. They seem to be doing pretty well. One of them had about 3 months off last year and stepped straight back in to a job.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm new and looking for advice thanks for your post its most helpful . I understand renting is really the only way but is it possible to buy a property without a mortgage so cash buyer ? If so do we have to wait or do we have to rent for a short time ? Thanks Jo

Hi I'm new and looking for advice thanks for your post its most helpful . I understand renting is really the only way but is it possible to buy a property without a mortgage so cash buyer ? If so do we have to wait or do we have to rent for a short time ? Thanks Jo

If you have the cash Jo I reckon you could get a bargain. As far as I know you don't have to rent first.

I would probably rent first to get to know the area. Besides Perth market is flat at the moment and there will be some good bargains over the next year or so. Even if you have enough cash to buy a house outright - I would look for a lo-doc loan with low LVR and borrow some from the Bank so that you'll money left to either buy more or invest in other things.

Thanks guys for your great advice . I just hate renting it's dead money but I suppose that's the right move first to see the area . We have friends in Rockingham . My husband is a brickie so would really want to build our own eventually . Thanks again

Thanks guys for your great advice . I just hate renting it's dead money but I suppose that's the right move first to see the area . We have friends in Rockingham . My husband is a brickie so would really want to build our own eventually . Thanks again

I know folk that own 4 or more houses and yet live in a rented one. They negative gear the houses they own to reduce the tax on their income. It's worth a look at.

I would probably rent first to get to know the area. Besides Perth market is flat at the moment and there will be some good bargains over the next year or so. Even if you have enough cash to buy a house outright - I would look for a lo-doc loan with low LVR and borrow some from the Bank so that you'll money left to either buy more or invest in other things.

The market may be flat but all too few bargains out there as of yet. I am on the look out myself and all I look at is way over priced. I do more or less confide to inner city locations though as feel they will keep their value to a greater extent. Especially with land.

Why would you advise to buy in what is obviously still an over inflated market I wonder? May advise would be to rent and get a real handle on what the market is doing rather than rushing in willy-nilly.

I know folk that own 4 or more houses and yet live in a rented one. They negative gear the houses they own to reduce the tax on their income. It's worth a look at.

Surely not in an over priced market with low interest rates? Building up issues for the future with low yield, all very well negative gearing, but account needs to be factored in with regards to falling house prices. Perth being the only capital, last time I checked where prices had actually fallen.

The market may be flat but all too few bargains out there as of yet. I am on the look out myself and all I look at is way over priced. I do more or less confide to inner city locations though as feel they will keep their value to a greater extent. Especially with land.

Why would you advise to buy in what is obviously still an over inflated market I wonder? May advise would be to rent and get a real handle on what the market is doing rather than rushing in willy-nilly.

Saying Perth is flat at the moment is an understatement. Quite a few suburbs got hammered. Belmont for example, a lot of development blocks are selling for near pre-boom prices. There are others as well. I doubt real estate in Australia will ever truly reflect fundamentals so just have to play the lows and highs. Lack of consumer confidence and investor exit is hammering the prices and will eventually stabilize and may even bounce back a little. As always markets within markets. Some vendors are desperate to unload and discounting 10% to 20%, hence bargains. Next 2 years will see unloading of many apartments in the inner-city and will take the unit prices down, similar to what happened in Melbourne. Old houses with decent size land are the best bet, IMHO.

I did advise to rent first before jumping in.

Thanks for you advise , I wasn't thinking of buying as soon as we landed just within the fist year ? Just didn't know the rules I thought we might of had to rent for the first 5 years or something . But you have all given me bits to think and look at :)

Thanks for you advise , I wasn't thinking of buying as soon as we landed just within the fist year ? Just didn't know the rules I thought we might of had to rent for the first 5 years or something . But you have all given me bits to think and look at :)

If you are buying with cash then you can buy anytime. If you want to borrow - you have to prove income. If you work then you must be doing that for at least 6 months in the same occupation as your last 2 years. These are the general rules but there are ways around them. Get in touch with a finance broker or two to understand all your options.

Saying Perth is flat at the moment is an understatement. Quite a few suburbs got hammered. Belmont for example, a lot of development blocks are selling for near pre-boom prices. There are others as well. I doubt real estate in Australia will ever truly reflect fundamentals so just have to play the lows and highs. Lack of consumer confidence and investor exit is hammering the prices and will eventually stabilize and may even bounce back a little. As always markets within markets. Some vendors are desperate to unload and discounting 10% to 20%, hence bargains. Next 2 years will see unloading of many apartments in the inner-city and will take the unit prices down, similar to what happened in Melbourne. Old houses with decent size land are the best bet, IMHO.

I did advise to rent first before jumping in.

Thoroughly agree. Just seen the latest figures on the ABC Early Morning News. Figures for Perth down again in negative territory. I gather the high number of sales around the place reflect both the resource boom downturn (every man and his dog appeared to have an investment property of some description) and secondary those wanting to sell before a price down turn really bites.

Looking at a number of houses in the Mt Hawthorn/Leederville/ North Perth localities, prices are still very high and appear to have been increased by real estate agents trying it on, but sadly are still going out for over i.5 million in many cases. Make hay before the darkness descends perhaps? Time will tell. Near city locations may well maintain value better than other locations. Still art, only worth what some mug is prepared to pay for it.

Thoroughly agree. Just seen the latest figures on the ABC Early Morning News. Figures for Perth down again in negative territory. I gather the high number of sales around the place reflect both the resource boom downturn (every man and his dog appeared to have an investment property of some description) and secondary those wanting to sell before a price down turn really bites.

Looking at a number of houses in the Mt Hawthorn/Leederville/ North Perth localities, prices are still very high and appear to have been increased by real estate agents trying it on, but sadly are still going out for over i.5 million in many cases. Make hay before the darkness descends perhaps? Time will tell. Near city locations may well maintain value better than other locations. Still art, only worth what some mug is prepared to pay for it.

Those locations are proper blue-chip and there will always be someone looking to buy there irrespective of the market and not very likely to get hammered. For me it's always been affordability - If I can buy say $800k worth of property I'll buy two in affordable areas but still with decent drivers like transport, health and education. It's easy for a $400k house to go up by 20% and cost $480k but 20% on a 1.5Mil house is 1.8Mil, quite a lot more. Also, having relatively smaller investments will come with flexibility - can sell one without worrying too much and the yields tend to be higher as well.

Those locations are proper blue-chip and there will always be someone looking to buy there irrespective of the market and not very likely to get hammered. For me it's always been affordability - If I can buy say $800k worth of property I'll buy two in affordable areas but still with decent drivers like transport, health and education. It's easy for a $400k house to go up by 20% and cost $480k but 20% on a 1.5Mil house is 1.8Mil, quite a lot more. Also, having relatively smaller investments will come with flexibility - can sell one without worrying too much and the yields tend to be higher as well.

Although a decade and a half ago these areas were a steal without knowing it. Probably should have gone into housing investment at the time and bought several. I wouldn't consider investment in Perth these days though. Even outside in main regional towns is over priced. Very sad what happened in real estate as it is a necessity not a whim.

In 1999 a one bedroom flat in Highgate, very nice building. Swimming pool. Very fare strata rates as resident owners done most the work was picked up for $32,000. $280,000 when last valued. Probably more now. Most houses around me have doubled (with a bit of a makeover) in ten years. People have got to be joking if thinking they will double in another ten. Be close to $2 million dollars then. Although in theory flipping houses between one another and rich outsiders investing it could be sustained I guess. What a horrible thought though. Not good for the country either.

Just compare with the quality available in Europe in comparison. Germany/Italy/France/ Spain and the price. Better cash in and go and live in one of those countries on the money left over.

Although in theory flipping houses between one another and rich outsiders investing it could be sustained I guess. What a horrible thought though. Not good for the country either.

Just compare with the quality available in Europe in comparison. Germany/Italy/France/Spain and the price. Better cash in and go and live in one of those countries on the money left over.

The amount of wealth in China and India is unbelievable. You are right, given the choice Perth wouldn't be the best choice for investment but you never know. Small market combined with a tiny boom can do wonders if timed right. Speaking of hot markets, Brissie still has a lot of steam left before it peaks.

I don't know about real estate prices in those European countries but surely they can't be cheap? Better quality maybe. Sadly, neither Singapore nor Australia has free movement rights with EU so much harder for me to just jump ship unless I get one of those EU blue cards and accelerate my residency.

The amount of wealth in China and India is unbelievable. You are right, given the choice Perth wouldn't be the best choice for investment but you never know. Small market combined with a tiny boom can do wonders if timed right. Speaking of hot markets, Brissie still has a lot of steam left before it peaks.

I don't know about real estate prices in those European countries but surely they can't be cheap? Better quality maybe. Sadly, neither Singapore nor Australia has free movement rights with EU so much harder for me to just jump ship unless I get one of those EU blue cards and accelerate my residency.

Yes outside the principle cities are very cheap in comparison with Australian real estate. No free movement if no in possession of an EU passport but most on this forum, I'd hazard a guess would have one.

Brisbane I'd say is riding on the coat tails of the excessive Sydney and Melbourne housing inflationary 'booms'. Certainly more overseas investment had entered that market, which I suspect may be partly responsible for the rapid growth in apartment building there. (must look to dig out the figures) Certainly doesn't mean necessary a good market to invest in though. The mining downturn must surely impact to a similar nature as it has/is in Perth? Mackay and environs has seen big falls. The Gold Coast and area is I believe picking up a little after a prolonged downturn in prices. And once the steam runs out?

Yes 60 million Chinese alone with the potential and ability are capable of buying foreign property. It wouldn't take very many to impact prices in Australia, which are comparatively cheap for many of them. A further plus being Freehold. I don't detect Indians outside of migrants investing in the market though.

Yes outside the principle cities are very cheap in comparison with Australian real estate. No free movement if no in possession of an EU passport but most on this forum, I'd hazard a guess would have one.

Brisbane I'd say is riding on the coat tails of the excessive Sydney and Melbourne housing inflationary 'booms'. Certainly more overseas investment had entered that market, which I suspect may be partly responsible for the rapid growth in apartment building there. (must look to dig out the figures) Certainly doesn't mean necessary a good market to invest in though. The mining downturn must surely impact to a similar nature as it has/is in Perth? Mackay and environs has seen big falls. The Gold Coast and area is I believe picking up a little after a prolonged downturn in prices. And once the steam runs out?

Yes 60 million Chinese alone with the potential and ability are capable of buying foreign property. It wouldn't take very many to impact prices in Australia, which are comparatively cheap for many of them. A further plus being Freehold. I don't detect Indians outside of migrants investing in the market though.

Brisbane has a lot more people than Perth and is rapidly growing. It's not just locals and foreigners that are buying. It's also all the investors who are sitting on 50%+ equity in their Sydney and Melbourne investments - itching to try their luck again in Brisbane. Some markets in Brisbane have truly come and gone but there are still others for investors who play the short-term cycle(2 to 3 years).

I read a few article about how wealthy Indians are increasingly looking overseas for asset protection and what not. Apparently, India has more multi-millionaires than Australia and is only set to grow in the coming years. However, majority of them seem to be interested in EU, US and Singapore. Wouldn't be long before they start looking at Australia. However, investor visas in Australia are a joke. $5mil AUD vs 1Mil euro in Malta for example.

For a country that is so desperate for immigrants, one would think the Govt would make it more amicable for investors wanting to settle here but no we just bumped the investment thresholds. Why would anyone want to bring their money here when countries like Singapore have much lower taxes and a very high standard of living?

I think if there was a WW III then it would be between China and India, two very massive, in every sense of the word, countries trying to be No. 1 fighting over god knows what.