Living in Sunshine Coast ...possibly work in Brisbane? Commutable?

Nursebucko

Hey everyone,

im just bouncing options around in my head. But it has always been our dream of living on the Sunshine Coast, In particular the buderim area. We have our visas granted. Am just currently looking at jobs. Mater hospital in South Brisbane have expressed an interest and I was wondering how hideous the commute would be?

I see on Google maps it says an 1hr without traffic...wondered your thoughts?

I don't mind commuting if I get the dream of living on the sunshines Coast but I also would like to be realistic.

If if it isn't do you suggest any nice suburbs that are commutable which is family friend.y with good school?

1 hr in an aeroplane maybe but definitely not by road,lol. IMO its way to far to commute from Buderim to the Mater day to day and when there is an accident (which is most weeks) the one highway to commute on, is at a standstill. Can you not check out hospitals on the Sunshine Coast to see if you can get on at one of them?

Cal x

1 hr in an aeroplane maybe but definitely not by road,lol. IMO its way to far to commute from Buderim to the Mater day to day and when there is an accident (which is most weeks) the one highway to commute on, is at a standstill. Can you not check out hospitals on the Sunshine Coast to see if you can get on at one of them?

Cal x

Agree. Much too far. I have a friend in Buderim. It usually takes me more than an hour to get there, from north Brisbane, outside rush hour.

Not doeable, and definitely not to the Southside. If you can't get work on the Sunny, check out Caboolture, Redcliffe and the Prince Charles hospital but even they would be a drag if on earlies. late shifts might just make it bearable.

I've always said, (especially so for shift workers) how much free time do you actually spend outdoors in the area where you live except on your days off? It's better to live nearest to work as you can get, and spend your days off cummuting, as opposed to commuting to work...............I've seen many come unstuck not heeding that advice and then having to move nearer to the work, shortly after migrating. Living Northside Brizzy is only 45 mintes perhaps 1hr, depending how far out on the northside if you wanted to spend your days off on the Sunny.

If you really want to live at buderim, check out Nambour hospital as I know they have recruited Pom nurses recently

Edit: Forgot your question regarding burbs. If you do look at Northside brizzy, then you can pm me and I'll clue you up on Northside...........ones to avoid are mainly at caboolture.........although that would put you even nearer to the Sunny.

properties/rents are more affordable at Narangba and burpengary before looking at North lakes. PIO member generalis recently got a very large 8 yr old modern 4 bed with amazing outdoor and large pool for 420k and her kids are thriving in the local school. caboolture hospital is less that 10 minuetes away and Redcliffe and Prince Charles less than 45 minutes.

Edited by Johndoe

Add Deception Bay to the ones to avoid. It's not called Depression Bay for no reason. If looking around Narangba and Burpengary, take a good look at the flood maps! North Lakes is feasible if working in north Brisbane, but not if commuting to the city or southside. I cross Gympie Rd each weekday morning walking the dogs, and the traffic at 5.30 is incredible. A lot of building around North Lakes these days - Ikea is supposed to open there in a few years, and Mango Hill will be a station on the new train line going from Petrie to Redcliffe. It's due to be finished next year. The Moreton Bay Rail Link. I think it's always good to have a public transport option!

I do this commute 2-3 times a week, but I think if i did it every day it'd kill me! Especially to South Brisbane (Mater)

That said - in my opinion - there's nowhere comparable to live anywhere north between Brisbane and Sunny Coast

No jobs at Nambour hospital? Or the new one at Kawana?

Edited by djchuckles

Thanks everyone for your very helpful opinions and advice. I think we can safely say that is out then. Lol I shall continue to look around the sunny Coast area, will try the nambour and others suggested next..but if not we may have to look living closer to brissy.

That is of course if AHPRA ever get back to me!! Grrrr!

Thanks guys

You could live on South side of Brisbane and get to enjoy all that Brisbane has to offer and drive to Gold Coast and Sunny Coast at the weekend whenever you feel like it, without a stressful Commute. Could live out on the water by Manly/Wynnum area and be at work in half an hour on the train stress free. Oh and you will be working on the doorstep of one of Brisbane's best areas.

Anyone know anything about Capalaba? A friend has a daughter moving there and she thinks it might be a bit rough . I don't know of it, never been there so I couldn't help her.

Not the best suburb not the worst either. Wouldn't live there personally but could do worse. Looks a pretty boring area to live to be honest.

Anyone know anything about Capalaba? A friend has a daughter moving there and she thinks it might be a bit rough . I don't know of it, never been there so I couldn't help her.

We live and have friends that also live in the bayside suburbs east of Capalaba (still Redland City). Capalaba is the Shopping centre of Redland City I would not choose to live there, it is not bad, just not the best in the area, never felt unsafe in any shape or form there, day or night. The area is not boring, it has, shops, cinemas, bowling, cafes, restaurants, pubs and parks, and a lot more in surrounding areas, like most it is up to the person to make it not boring.

Consider me told :wink:

It's not close to the city or that close to the water which makes it a pretty nondescript suburb to me, I'm not aware of any must do restaurants or shops to visit there. Prob get a cheap house and the golf course nearby is good value those are my positives. Wouldn't make anyone's list of best suburbs though!

Consider me told :wink:

It's not close to the city or that close to the water which makes it a pretty nondescript suburb to me, I'm not aware of any must do restaurants or shops to visit there. Prob get a cheap house and the golf course nearby is good value those are my positives. Wouldn't make anyone's list of best suburbs though!

From a running start 30minutes to City, maybe 10 min to water, also 10minutes to the English, chippy, and the so called 'English style' Indian, but agree no stand out eating places, we only use Capalaba for the shops (when needed) and definitely not for living, but then, with all those shops and business's there has to be people to service and use them! But I agree with as you say the cheaper house's may be a draw card as a starter for some.

Brisbane traffic sucks - don't let estate agent speak confuse you .. if considering Mater there are lots of lovely suburbs like Greenslopes that would get you to the hospital in 10 mins on the busway. Always have the option of train or busway as sitting in a car in peak hour is miserable. Sunshine Coast is lovely though and you could live somewhere great near to the sea and work at say Caloundra hospital. Would be a nice life if you weren't bothered about big city attractions that Brisbane can offer

We live in buderim love it here, hubby used to drive to brissy mon to fri he didnt mind would take around 40 mins to get to north lakes then the traffic would hit, so would take around hour and a half an he worked northside, he said was worth it to live on the coast, especially as took him that long to go around 10 miles when we lived in uk. If there was an accident no way around it so could sometimes be home late.

depending when you are coming to oz they are building new hosp at present not sure when due to open im sure there would be hosp work this way as i know a few hosp workers that found work wouldnt say easily but did after a few months and now because foot in door can move around none of them had to go to brisbane to find work all live an work on the coast.

What has attracted you to live on the sunshine coast? Theres's nothing here,but sand flies,and humidity.It rains all the time and we have cyclones all the time.We live at Tin Can Bay.If you a desperate try Gympie hospital.The only thing going for the sunshine coast is.Houses are cheap.But be vary wary the place floods all the time.Gympie Council rates and charges are one of the most exspensive.The Closer you live to the water the more exspensive your rates.If Gympie Councl keep up their Grab for cash,and don't stop building stupid exspensive parks ect.They will end up with ghost towns.

What has attracted you to live on the sunshine coast? Theres's nothing here,but sand flies,and humidity.It rains all the time and we have cyclones all the time.We live at Tin Can Bay.If you a desperate try Gympie hospital.The only thing going for the sunshine coast is.Houses are cheap.But be vary wary the place floods all the time.Gympie Council rates and charges are one of the most exspensive.The Closer you live to the water the more exspensive your rates.If Gympie Councl keep up their Grab for cash,and don't stop building stupid exspensive parks ect.They will end up with ghost towns.

More cr@p. :SLEEP: Are you saying the Sunny coast has more sand, flies and humidity than anywhere else? Anywhere on the coast actually has less, although I wouldn't class buderim as "coast". You say "The Closer you live to the water the more exspensive your rates" and then say, "Gympie Council rates and charges are one of the most exspensive" Is Gympie on the coast? :wacko: End up with ghost towns because the council builds parks? :wacko:

Edited by Johndoe