Haemorrhaging money and feeling stressed

Peachy

Thanks for your comments. Very interesting hear different experiences. I am lucky that I have a job to come to and so will only be short of about 1 week of pay when moving over. We also live frugally and happily buy second stuff. Have already got my sister sourcing stuff on gumtree. After my wobble last week (and resigning my self to massive initial outlay) am excited about the move again and looking forward to the adventure, albeit with not much money;-)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
£70k was ridiculous but I struggle to see how anyone could do it was £10k - surely visa fees and flights come to almost that? And you then bought a car for $4k.

No you are right. The visa fees were paid about two years before we emigrated so those were extra and flights came to £2000 one way again paid for on top of that amount but paid about a year before. Added together still no more than £15.000. £10,000 was what we came away with.

Thanks for your comments. Very interesting hear different experiences. I am lucky that I have a job to come to and so will only be short of about 1 week of pay when moving over. We also live frugally and happily buy second stuff. Have already got my sister sourcing stuff on gumtree. After my wobble last week (and resigning my self to massive initial outlay) am excited about the move again and looking forward to the adventure, albeit with not much money;-)

I think you don't mind so much having an initial struggle, everything's new, your in a different country with a sunnier climate, all exciting stuff.

once that wears off n your down to the nitty gritty of day to day life, then you MAY reevaluate the situation.

For us, we have a better quality of life in Aus but with a large mortgage here. Nearer retirement it may be better for us to return for a few years to the UK for a life with no mortgage for a couple of years, then bugger off somewhere else.

not at that stage yet, but when push comes to shove, not having burned bridges, then if cheaper somewhere in Europe will do nicely for a few months of the year.

i don't really care where I live, but I will be retiring at 55

Cost for me to move over to wa then cost to brissie ...then paying two rents here and wa for weeks until the house went in wa ....then oh back over in wa paying a room share rent here too ,,, just rented my house out in uk but even them late with rent and paying full management fees to real estate lol uniforms for each state again transfer of car rego and everything mounts up cost us more than it's been worth I could of had holidays abroad tons of them for what it's cost ...but still hoping it works out now I'm here obviously ...but if I could turn back the clock I would of stayed put if I knew what hassle it was going to be ! :) then got move back wa but we not paying this time :) lol :) things can only get better ...she says !

Apologies in advance as I haven't read the whole thread. We move in 3 months and are taking our dog (£3.2k) but are rehoming our 3 cats. It's a tough call!

Ideally thy would all come, but the eldest is too old at 18.

Maybe shop around for a good deal for pet shipment? We are using golden arrow. They are good people and were cheaper than others.

We'll have to buy old stuff and hit gumtree etc when we get there too. Plus it costs so much to send our dog we can't afford to ship that much.

So - you're not alone!

We got through £10,000 getting here and starting from scratch no furniture shipped. This was nearly 5 years ago but certainly not anywhere near £70,000. We bought second hand furniture of really good quality at garage sales and a few new pieces of ok quality from Famtastic Furniture, Pine Discout Warehouse and Furniture Spot. We bought kitchen items really cheaply from KMart, very cheap quilts and bedding too. We've mostly replaced everything now with good stuff but it sufficed for a few years. If you ship a car don't forget all the added shipping costs and tax's. Not just a case of throwing it in. My OH did have two job offers before we even came out though which obviously was a massive help. We bought an old Daewoo for $4000 which we sold a year later for $4000, when we bought a new car for cash we had saved during that year. I didn't work out of choice, waiting for our son to start high school. It can be done on a budget if you're frugal and sensible.

It's good to hear! Some people are a bit more fire & brimstone on here. There has to be more than one way to do things.

We didn't ship anything , just clothes and kids xboxes we bought ....bought all new on arrival and not the stuff I would usually buy neither , I did it as cheaply as I wanted too . But without visas and flights .....and without the holiday let which was 850 a week for 8 weeks , nothing flash niether ....we bought ...25000 dollars roughly ....sent back uk for 9 thousand pounds ....5 weeks until he got a job then it were monthly pay ....dog was booked with golden arrow they were really good he was booked on flight in the nov ...but hubby couldn't c the work then so we put him on hold ...now mother in law won't part with him and the fact now he's getting old ...and he's well looked after . Just bring a bucket load of money because it will go and I left 3 months mortgage in uk in my account too . Everyone's different and had different experiences with things ....and the length of time some people have been here and depending what industry ya in :) good luck though :) but be prepared financially :) that was just perth not the cost of brissie and double rents ect lol :)

It's good to hear! Some people are a bit more fire & brimstone on here. There has to be more than one way to do things.

Dont not get me wrong if it were plain sailing it would of been great but bad timing ....and People may think I'm negative but I'm so not ...at the end of the day if it's plain sailing for everybody they yippee de doo dah ....but if it's not plain sailing for folk bare in mind how they wud feel ...too . ....if it was them because them who haven't had a easy ride so to speak have either gone back or r living hand to mouth here and they r the first to admit it's not what they come for ....me personally I'm not sat on the sofa because I carnt afford my Friday night frolicks I'm sat on the sofa because we living apart ...I didn't come for that who in the right mind would of ....not any I bet :):)

Dont not get me wrong if it were plain sailing it would of been great but bad timing ....and People may think I'm negative but I'm so not ...at the end of the day if it's plain sailing for everybody they yippee de doo dah ....but if it's not plain sailing for folk bare in mind how they wud feel ...too . ....if it was them because them who haven't had a easy ride so to speak have either gone back or r living hand to mouth here and they r the first to admit it's not what they come for ....me personally I'm not sat on the sofa because I carnt afford my Friday night frolicks I'm sat on the sofa because we living apart ...I didn't come for that who in the right mind would of ....not any I bet :):)

And you're not sat on the sofa at this time of night because everything is hunky dory...............spill gal

I won't argue with those who say fetch all you can but I revert to what I have always said..................forget the cost of items but work out what it costs to ship those items................remembering that they are 2nd hand and what is their potential worth/life. Then look at what you could buy with those shipping costs bearing in mind that what you buy will be new and have warranties..................it has always been a no brainer for me, based on the costs 20yrs ago but I can't qualify todays costs...........we shipped nothing other than photos/bedding/clothes/sentimental items.................some of the furniture we bought when we got here 20 yrs ago is still in use and looking good..............can you say that for what you want to ship? Just MHO.

We made the very difficult decision not to take our very loved dog Alfie. He is at least 10 and we just couldn't put him Through the flight (he is sick in the car and can never settle). We rescued him 7 years ago and he is just the best dog you can get. I love him to pieces! Luckily there are a queue of lovely people who want him, and our friends Are taking him For us. Such a hard decision though. We are also not taking anything other than our luggage and our bikes. Starting from Scratch!

What you mean lol ...???

You don't mind personal?....................OK.......................you "bubble and gush" IYKWIM? but I sense that you ain't as happy as you like to think you are, or as you attempt to portray, and that you are in fact, quite lonely..............sorry if this is too personal.............just tell me to butt out

I'm sat on the sofa watching tele this time of night because my oh in wa as u wud of gathered lol ....and the couple of friends I have here live not close by they r north I'm south ...lol so I carnt go out on me Billy now can I haha :)

Why aren't you in bo bos?

You don't mind personal?....................OK.......................you "bubble and gush" IYKWIM? but I sense that you ain't as happy as you like to think you are, or as you attempt to portray, and that you are in fact, quite lonely..............sorry if this is too personal.............just tell me to butt out

Oh no no up can butt in that's fine .....I am very happily married ...I am lonely since being here yes I am ....I'm not miserable or anything though ....I'm lonely because I had lovely friends in uk ...I av lovely ones here too but live miles ...I didn't come here for FIFO which he spent the last twelve month doing but not a bad rota but still I'm not use to it and now in wa ....I know it's only temp till end if year ....I'm not in bed cus I'm watching tele and I'm a crap sleeper ....and my sons at his girlfriends and my other son is at his mates great weekend for me ...lol ...so yes u could say I'm lonely but who wouldn't be ...but perfectly happily married lol we are use to being together all time 99percent of time in uk anyway so this is a shock for me and aswell aving no family here iwhich I knew that but didn't expect me hubby not be here too lol although it's temp .

Dont get get me wrong I'm not sat here all sad I'm a clown and half I entertain meself somehow haha :)

Oh no no up can butt in that's fine .....I am very happily married ...I am lonely since being here yes I am ....I'm not miserable or anything though ....I'm lonely because I had lovely friends in uk ...I av lovely ones here too but live miles ...I didn't come here for FIFO which he spent the last twelve month doing but not a bad rota but still I'm not use to it and now in wa ....I know it's only temp till end if year ....I'm not in bed cus I'm watching tele and I'm a crap sleeper ....and my sons at his girlfriends and my other son is at his mates great weekend for me ...lol ...so yes u could say I'm lonely but who wouldn't be ...but perfectly happily married lol we are use to being together all time 99percent of time in uk anyway so this is a shock for me and aswell aving no family here iwhich I knew that but didn't expect me hubby not be here too lol although it's temp .

Dont get get me wrong I'm not sat here all sad I'm a clown and half I entertain meself somehow haha :)

Good on ya gall.............get him off the FIFO though (unless it suits) ..............there's only so much "being alone" that any relationship can survive.............needs must sometimes, but "needs must" often interfers with "needs" period IYKWIM? It's good that you have your boys to "divert" you :-)

My hubbies the same after work stuck in his room lol in wa watching tele ...he said tonight better lifestyle for us in uk and to be honest he's right .....how things have been ...just got see my boy through school and may aswell hang on for citizen in 17 months aprox 9 months after my lad finishes it would be a shame walk away now after all this ...then we will see where we sitting . But I don't know what you mean by portray ...to be ? I'm happy just not happy with the situation ...and I know I need get on with it ...and I do don't worry! But the forums stop u being totally bored out ya mind lol :) only temp though he'll be back in 3 week for 2 weeks hol carnt wait :):)

Good on ya gall.............get him off the FIFO though (unless it suits) ..............there's only so much "being alone" that any relationship can survive.............needs must sometimes, but "needs must" often interfers with "needs" period IYKWIM? It's good that you have your boys to "divert" you :-)

Hes es off the FIFO now ...but his job is in Western Australia ...but I've got stay cus of my son school last year . Yeah me lads r good kids but got their own lives and I want them have a good time and experience while they can so I just go with the flow ...hope u r ok too :) we will survive don't worry ! We a solid couple :)

Shelley do you have a pub nearby?I wouldn't be sat on my own night after night!I know you have your sons but they obviously have their own lives! My ex was a roadie for a band and when they used to gig interstate and I couldn't go,I was not at home knitting!:laugh:Mind you,other guys assume you're on the pull if you're out alone!

Shelley do you have a pub nearby?I wouldn't be sat on my own night after night!I know you have your sons but they obviously have their own lives! My ex was a roadie for a band and when they used to gig interstate and I couldn't go,I was not at home knitting!:laugh:Mind you,other guys assume you're on the pull if you're out alone!

Hi jacqranda ...yea there's a pub in the village and resturants ...I would still need take the car get there ...quite far on foot lol ...or I suppose a taxi ....the thing is I haven't got the confidence to walk in a pub on my own lol ....and yes people might think ya on the pull ...haha . Thanks though lol ....i went work cleaning all day got in did half my windows in and out ...then it watched notting hill ....going do the other half my windows today ...when really alls I want to do is hit a dance floor ;) haha ....I'll stick me iPad on while I'm doing me windows that will have to do ; ....I spend my life cleaning although I love doing it......my neighbours r old ......and in bed really early ....I slept with all my lights on ...because my kids stayed out lol :)

To the OP moving interstate although can happen isn't the usual judging by the people I know anyway so initial costs won't include this.

No its it's not the usual ....depending what u do ...my oh got put on short time couldn't see the projects coming in ....he is in at the beginning of a project from the very design ....he can design from concept too . , lots of companies wanted him ...hadn't got the work ...applied for a drafting job and told too over qualified ....he moved interstate because they offered him a job within a few days in brissie about a week it took ...people were getting laid off then from his office ....he took here ....interview yep we have the work which they did ....to be fair ....but when we got here there was hardly any design on in the office , so they sekonded him out for just over a year doing the quality and commissioning side , he does the consultancy side too , but unfortunately no more work has come through after that project he was on here , they wanted him to wait . It's a good job he didn't wait though because no work has come in and people in the office and on site have now been laid off . The company here rang him ask him do some calculations for them a couple of weeks ago lol ....which he did them he stays on good terms it's not their fault .

After having no work book to , after Xmas he got offered a job back in wa ....within 24 hrs he was iffing and arring because u don't know what do for the best how the job market is ....so it might be unusual but at the end of the day it's a good job he took it , he's had two interviews come through since but all over the shop lol ....which ever way he looks at it it would of involved moving again ....how the job market is . So although it might be unusual how the job market is depending on ya industry u av to take what's available or be prepared to be out of work months and months like his colleagues and now theve ended up over seas ....at least this way he's still in the country or he would of gon overseas himself ....not so simple ATM the way things are going :):)

Well junior member with one post, not the most auspicious start.

Every one is welcome to post on PIO, some of us write better than others, but perhaps writing from the heart is more important.

Not every poster is the immigrant, could be partner, parent or offspring, all are welcome, and their opinions are of equal value.

Most of us respect each other, and support each other even though we may come from different backgrounds.

Archived