I dislike living in Sydney...

mehman

Moved here to Sydney from sunny UK (I'm not British, was living in the UK for a while) and I must admit I'm not enjoying it at all. I hate the houses available on rent here. The old constructions, the ransoms for rent, the insane traffic, the distance to everything, I'm hating it...

I've lived and worked in 4 countries apart from Oz and of them all I'm just not liking it here. I hate to feel this way. I don't see what the point of moving here was...bah...

edit: The traffic here has caught me by surprise. It clear the infrastructure was not built for the population this city has at the moment. I've looked at over 10 houses to rent and each and every one of them is either too old or just in a very noisy location.

I urge anyone looking to move here to come and take a look see before making the move. Come here and apart from the touristy stuff, look at rentals, drive around and get a feel of what your life will be like. Had I done this, I doubt I'd have come over...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know your full situation. Where do you live? Where do you work? Where do you want to get to but can't because of the (admittedly) insane traffic!? But apart from the cost of renting a house, the houses themselves, and the insane traffic, what else don't you like. Those three things, you could encounter in any city with a population of over four million people. Are there other things making you unhappy about living in Sydney? Loneliness? Living far away from family and friends? Feelings of alienation because Australia does not seem like home? I mean, there are other parts of Australia, where you could possibly find less traffic and cheaper homes, but you might still be unhappy? The 'touristy stuff' is just one part of Sydney, and many Pommies like the idea of living in Bondi Beach, and when they get there, they aren't usually disappointed. To me, it sounds like the traffic, the cost of renting a home, the standard of the homes, the distances you need to travel to get anywhere, are more symptoms of a deeper unhappiness?

Hello,

There is no deeper unhappiness at play here :-). If I had to deal with the issues I raised above, I did not have to move here, I could have just moved to London, though admittedly I'd not have had these issues in London as I enjoyed living in the UK as a whole. I know Oz works out for a lot of people, I'm talking about Sydney in particular.

Having lived around the world, I don't see what Sydney has to offer which is superior to other global cities. The beach lifestyle cannot be afforded in Sydney by everyone unless you are willing to live in really tiny apartments OR are very rich.

I just wanted to get my frustrations off my chest for bit, that is all.

Ah yes, before I moved here, I was told by a lot of people that the produce here is amazing...erm...its like anywhere else in the world. I think, I'm just feeling a bit let down that a lot of the claims of a great life in Sydney are actually just that, tall claims and this is nothing but the most expensive megapolis in the world...

Inner city is inner city, much the same in any major city worldwide. You could move further out and commute on the train, I think the good quality of life is realised in the suburbs. That being said, no point being unhappy and grumbling, better just make a move somewhere you like. Tastes are individual, thankfully, otherwise life would be boring.

We moved from Perth to Sydney and the crowds, noise and traffic took a lot of getting used to. Rentals are REALLY expensive too and certainly not worth the money. You could move to somewhere like North Ryde/Epping which are pleasant suburbs - quite near the city and public transport is pretty good. Apart from the harbour and beaches, Sydney is just another big city with miiles and miles of endless, boring suburbs. What were you expecting when you arrived? I'm amazed at some people who move to Australia and expect some sort of utopia.

I know people do make the move without having visited before but I'd be surprised if they weren't caught out by something. Although moving to a city of nearly 5 million and being shocked by traffic and costs, is a little unexpected! I agree the distances are difficult if you're not used to it and the train network is not exactly comprehensive (hence so many people are driving everywhere) , but a visit beforehand would have told you all this.

In London you would be paying similar rents, the traffic is still crap although eased by a pretty good public transport system and helped by the majority of people *broadly* working in a few concentrated areas.

Moved here to Sydney from sunny UK (I'm not British, was living in the UK for a while) and I must admit I'm not enjoying it at all. I hate the houses available on rent here. The old constructions, the ransoms for rent, the insane traffic, the distance to everything, I'm hating it...

I've lived and worked in 4 countries apart from Oz and of them all I'm just not liking it here. ...

edit: The traffic here has caught me by surprise. It clear the infrastructure was not built for the population this city has at the moment. I've looked at over 10 houses to rent and each and every one of them is either too old or just in a very noisy location.

Who encouraged you to come to Sydney? The British have a long love affair with Australia - most people have a relative or friend of a friend who was a "ten pound Pom" and made good, and that has created an indelible folk memory that Australia is the land of milk and honey.

You're quite right - it is very frustrating trying to find a rental at a price you can afford, and traffic is shocking. The secret is to concentrate on suburbs with a rail line so you can ignore the traffic most of the time. And be prepared to go a bit further out.

I've lived in Sydney for 30 years and when I first arrived, I lived in the inner suburbs and as far as I was concerned, the rest of Sydney was a wasteland of boring suburbs. It is, but there are little jewels hiding out there if you look.

Take a look at Oatley, Mortdale, Penshurst - nice leafy suburbs and only 40 minutes by train to the city. In the evenings, it's less than 30 minutes' drive. I lived there for five years, and didn't even know how bad the daytime traffic was until the trains were off one day, and I had to drive - it took me two hours to get halfway, where I parked and trained the rest of the way. If you can cope with a longer commute, head out to Cronulla - beach lifestyle at a much lower cost, or save even more money and settle in Gymea, another cafe-laden suburb.

If you're not working in the city that changes things, of course. Where are you living now?

As for the produce - I don't know who told you it was great. I think the restaurants are great, but that's a different thing.

I've lived and worked in 4 countries apart from Oz and of them all I'm just not liking it here. I hate to feel this way. I don't see what the point of moving here was...bah...

I urge anyone looking to move here to come and take a look see before making the move. Come here and apart from the touristy stuff, look at rentals, drive around and get a feel of what your life will be like. Had I done this, I doubt I'd have come over...

The infrastructure is dated here in Australia, they are happy with it though. They don't know any different.

The driving is very aggressive and selfish here, I miss driving around Central London, it was more safe for me to ride there.

The rental situation is horrible, terrible quality of houses and terrible landlords.

Buying a house in Sydney is VERY expensive, other parts of the country are definitely cheaper.

Just wait till you have to use the healthcare business here in Australia, you will really worry then. I've had a better service in South American countries.

We find ourselves lacking for stimulation, we are not a conventional couple and liked the diversity that we have found in other places that we have lived.

We wish we were living back in the Chalfonts (Just outside of London) Easy access to London, restaurants and theatres and music.

A few times a year we would go to Camden market, just enjoy a bohemian day.

Easy access to the Ace café for meets and music.

I miss hanging around with the local bike club, helping the guys making their choppers. Painting their bikes.

Going to Europe for weekends...

There is nothing like this here in Australia, it all feels a little beige.

Hello,

There is no deeper unhappiness at play here :-). If I had to deal with the issues I raised above, I did not have to move here, I could have just moved to London, though admittedly I'd not have had these issues in London as I enjoyed living in the UK as a whole. I know Oz works out for a lot of people, I'm talking about Sydney in particular.

Having lived around the world, I don't see what Sydney has to offer which is superior to other global cities. The beach lifestyle cannot be afforded in Sydney by everyone unless you are willing to live in really tiny apartments OR are very rich.

I just wanted to get my frustrations off my chest for bit, that is all.

That's OK, but if there are no deeper issues, then why does the traffic, and the quality/size of appartments bother you so much? What's wrong with living in a tiny appartment if it is close to a nice beach. It's a compromise. You could move out to somewhere like Penrith and make your lifestyle there. Plenty of Aussies, and migrants, already do, taking advantage of the cheaper prices, and putting up with the increased commuting times. As for tiny appartments, well, people all over Asia live in tiny appartments in huge cities. What could you expect in Hong Kong, for instance?

I mentioned Penrith because I often work there, and put up with spending up to 90 minutes commuting each way from Sydney, but spending 90 minutes, or more, commuting each way to work is hardly unique to Sydney, or Australia. People commute into London and spend similar times on their journeys. Southampton, where I come from, is 70 minutes from Waterloo, so add on travel times from your home to Southampton station and from Waterloo to your workplace, and I can imagine you are talking about at least 2 hours each way? Half an hour by bus to Southampton station from my home village of Marchwood, followed by the train to Waterloo, and hopefully not to long a journey on the tube in the rush hour. Or maybe choose to drive via the M271/27/3/25 into Central London also in the rush hour?

It's hard moving from home to a huge city in a strange country and it often takes time to adjust. What would happen to me if I moved to London, or New York? I'd have no friends, no family, no cafes or pubs where I could call myself a 'local.' It would take me time to create a social network for myself. Here in Sydney, I will go to a cafe soon for a coffee and all the staff will say 'hello Dave,' and later on I'll go to a pub, and it will be the same, but it wasn't like that in December, 2008 when I came back to Sydney, though I was lucky enough to have family and some friends here.

I guess we just got caught up with all the hype. I'm thinking of renting in Artarmon. The houses are a bit of a shocker here but hey, its only 20 minutes into the city, so I'm leaning towards this place.

Why North Shore? It depends on your age and personality but you'll find there's a real north-south divide in Sydney. If you live on the southern side of the harbour, you regard North Shore residents as snobs and the North Shore suburbs as boring and conservative. If that suits you then great, but it wouldn't be my choice. The inner west and the eastern suburbs are much livelier - perhaps a bit more grungy, too, and the Inner West isn't as leafy, but much more fun.

If you want beach and affordable in the same sentence, then don't be afraid to go even further south - it's not the back of beyond as North Shorites would have you believe. It doesn't have to be a two hour commute - Cronulla is about an hour's commute on a good reliable line where you'll always get a seat.

I disagree with MaryRose about Penrith or anywhere else "way out west" - most of those suburbs are good for families but dead boring for singles, plus it's always several degrees hotter and more humid than the coastal suburbs - and a long long way from the beach!

The infrastructure is dated here in Australia, they are happy with it though. They don't know any different.

The driving is very aggressive and selfish here, I miss driving around Central London, it was more safe for me to ride there.

The rental situation is horrible, terrible quality of houses and terrible landlords.

Buying a house in Sydney is VERY expensive, other parts of the country are definitely cheaper.

Just wait till you have to use the healthcare business here in Australia, you will really worry then. I've had a better service in South American countries.

We find ourselves lacking for stimulation, we are not a conventional couple and liked the diversity that we have found in other places that we have lived.

We wish we were living back in the Chalfonts (Just outside of London) Easy access to London, restaurants and theatres and music.

A few times a year we would go to Camden market, just enjoy a bohemian day.

Easy access to the Ace café for meets and music.

I miss hanging around with the local bike club, helping the guys making their choppers. Painting their bikes.

Going to Europe for weekends...

There is nothing like this here in Australia, it all feels a little beige.

Better health service in South American countries? Get away with you. Could someone in a South American country, go to a doctor right now, this minute, and see a doctor for free? Could you go and see your GP in the UK, right this minute, without having to ring for an appointment? I doubt it. If you had a serious accident, or perhaps a heart attack, would you be taken by ambulance to a hospital and treated for free? (Might have to pay for the ambo?) Do you think you get the same medical service in Brazil if you lived in a slum in Rio, as if you were rich?

The infrastructure is dated here in Australia. They are happy with it though. They don't know any different.' Talk about making a patronising statement, and if that comes out in you social interactions with 'Aussies', then no wonder they shun you.

If you live in Sydney and you are lacking in stimulation, blame yourself, not Sydney. There is a theatre right next to my appartment - Belvoir - one of many in Sydney. 100 yards down the road, is the HQ for Opera Australia, and I could go down there and book to see a performance by world class performers. Have you ever wondered why it's called 'The Sydney OPERA House?' And if you want classical music, orchestras, musicals, plays, live music, art galleries, museums, restaurants serving food from all over the world, or immerse yourself in the culture of a hundred different nationalities, it's all here, but you say 'it's beige!?'

Join a Sydney bike club if that is your thing. Join any club in any activity. I was in the Ramblers in the UK, bushwalking clubs in Sydney, exactly the same format, weekly walks to various part of the countryside with like-minded people.

Sure, you can't go to Europe at the weekend. We are in the Southern Hemisphere. But you could fly to New Caledonia if you love France, and there are plenty of other destinations in the same area as New Caledonia. I know, I went to five of them on a cruse last month. And Asia is on your doorstep, not Europe. Is Asia beige?

Google 'Sydney Meet Ups' and find yourself a social activity. I started a degree last week with Open University Australia. I am studying philosophy at Macquarie Uni with the lectures taught by an English academic who emigrated to Sydney seven years ago. Is he 'beige? is philosophy 'beige?'

Camden market is great, but there are markets all over Sydney, but bottom line, if all you do is compare every possible event unfavourably to England, then Australia is always going to fail you.

We find ourselves lacking for stimulation, we are not a conventional couple and liked the diversity that we have found in other places that we have lived..

Where do you live in Sydney? I've always said that if I couldn't live in the inner suburbs, I wouldn't live in Sydney at all - because if you have to go to the outer suburbs, it's like a totally different city. That different city may be good for families but not so good for singles, young couples or empty nesters. In recent years I've modified that view to include a few suburbs in the St George/Sutherland area - close enough to the coast to get to the beach easily, easy commute to the city, far enough away to be affordable and yet still with cafes and restaurants etc.

However, one of the reasons we're moving back is that to afford a nice home, we'd have to move further out, and then I'd be too far away from everything that makes Sydney a nice place to live.

2 hours of a commute might be OK for you, but its not for me. Just because some people do it does not mean everyone wants to :-)

A two hour commute is definitely NOT right with me! Nobody in their right mind likes commuting. I moved to the centre of Sydney - Surry Hills - so I could walk to work, but that was then, and this is now. The only job I could get is in Penrith, and to be honest, if I was just starting my career, rather than coming to the end, I could quite happily move to Penrith to be able to walk to work there. Sure, it's a long way from the beach, but I'd get a place with a pool, and Penrith has excellent watersports on the Nepean River, and it's also got the Blue Mts on its doorstep, and I like Penrith as a town.

If you live in Sydney and you are lacking in stimulation, blame yourself, not Sydney. There is a theatre right next to my appartment - Belvoir - one of many in Sydney. 100 yards down the road, is the HQ for Opera Australia, and I could go down there and book to see a performance by world class performers..

Yes, but that's because you live in the Eastern Suburbs. You don't know where Pob is living - perhaps they've been forced to live far out in the outer suburbs, where it would take them 2 hours to get to the Belvoir and all the other theatres and art galleries. If they drive it will cost them a fortune to park, too - and if they take the train, they may not be able to get home, and if they do it will be 1 a.m.

You may say they should just put up with the travelling and the cost, but why should they? If they know there's another city where they can get the same thing on their doorstep, why shouldn't they be allowed to choose that city instead? And why shouldn't they be allowed to express their feelings about it?

I lived in the Eastern Suburbs and loved Sydney. I lived in Five Dock and loved Sydney. But I know that if I lived in Mount Druitt or Punchbowl or Penrith I'd hate Sydney, because I'd be too far from all the things that make the inner suburbs so enjoyable. They're too far from all the things you currently take for granted. I think you would get a shock if you actually tried to live in one of those outer west suburbs you recommend.

I'm hoping that Ramblers in the UK are not the same as bushwalking clubs in Sydney. I've tried some here and they are all bush-bashers: instead of rambling along admiring the views and taking photos, they are completely focussed on completing the walk as fast as possible and devil take the hindmost. And in 30 degree heat, that's not fun.

Reminds me with regards to housing as I found London. Some of the outrageous dives on the market back in 2010 when was in the market to buy was astounding. I appreciate Sydney is these days little better at least in the price range when taking into account London's status as a number one world city, which is why I refrained from buying in either.

Personally all things equal with work opportunity I would go more towards London than Sydney as it has more on offer that appeals to me. Saying that I can think of better places than both those cities.

If you think Sydney is busy now just wait a few more years to see what is in store for it. I don't imagine improvements or in any way will infrastructure keep up with population demand.

I'm hoping that Ramblers in the UK are not the same as bushwalking clubs in Sydney. I've tried some here and they are all bush-bashers: instead of rambling along admiring the views and taking photos, they are completely focussed on completing the walk as fast as possible and devil take the hindmost. And in 30 degree heat, that's not fun.

Keen member of Sussex ramblers when I lived there - very different to Oz walking clubs, not competitive - just out for the joy of the countryside - and the beer garden afterwards! A very sociable affair - I miss my weekly communal walks but too hot to walk far in Brissie and like you I've been put off by all the bloody KPI's - One group instructs 'we will walk the first half hour in silence; B@gger that!

Better health service in South American countries? Get away with you. Could someone in a South American country, go to a doctor right now, this minute, and see a doctor for free? Could you go and see your GP in the UK, right this minute, without having to ring for an appointment? I doubt it. If you had a serious accident, or perhaps a heart attack, would you be taken by ambulance to a hospital and treated for free? (Might have to pay for the ambo?) Do you think you get the same medical service in Brazil if you lived in a slum in Rio, as if you were rich?

The infrastructure is dated here in Australia. They are happy with it though. They don't know any different.' Talk about making a patronising statement, and if that comes out in you social interactions with 'Aussies', then no wonder they shun you.

If you live in Sydney and you are lacking in stimulation, blame yourself, not Sydney. There is a theatre right next to my appartment - Belvoir - one of many in Sydney. 100 yards down the road, is the HQ for Opera Australia, and I could go down there and book to see a performance by world class performers. Have you ever wondered why it's called 'The Sydney OPERA House?' And if you want classical music, orchestras, musicals, plays, live music, art galleries, museums, restaurants serving food from all over the world, or immerse yourself in the culture of a hundred different nationalities, it's all here, but you say 'it's beige!?'

Join a Sydney bike club if that is your thing. Join any club in any activity. I was in the Ramblers in the UK, bushwalking clubs in Sydney, exactly the same format, weekly walks to various part of the countryside with like-minded people.

Sure, you can't go to Europe at the weekend. We are in the Southern Hemisphere. But you could fly to New Caledonia if you love France, and there are plenty of other destinations in the same area as New Caledonia. I know, I went to five of them on a cruse last month. And Asia is on your doorstep, not Europe. Is Asia beige?

Google 'Sydney Meet Ups' and find yourself a social activity. I started a degree last week with Open University Australia. I am studying philosophy at Macquarie Uni with the lectures taught by an English academic who emigrated to Sydney seven years ago. Is he 'beige? is philosophy 'beige?'

Camden market is great, but there are markets all over Sydney, but bottom line, if all you do is compare every possible event unfavourably to England, then Australia is always going to fail you.

The poster is not referring to a slum in Brazil but own experiences. There are first class medical facilities in certain Central/South American countries, especially those popular with foreign retirees and tourists. You have American trained doctors that charge very reasonable rates. Hence a big part of the attraction of North Americans moving down to Ecuador (voted world's best retirement country a few years in a row) or Panama or Costa Rico (Central America)

How much out of pocket are people here having a procedure done? A lot don't know different. Certainly the shooting down of those that complain in some quarters with anything wrong about Australia is hardly going to rectify or even bring to the attention of others if negatives are so put down.

Sydney hardly compares to London although does have other advantages. Yes one can keep busy in both cities depending on interests but for diversity London cannot be touched.

Going to New Caledonia as a substitute for Europe would equate someone saying in Asia go to Darwin when they really want to see England. French see New Caledonians as quite removed from themselves but of course better than nothing and fine for a break just not quite the real thing.

I sat in a hospital in Sydney with a 6cm cut down to the bone in places for 4.5hrs, still not seen my a doctor I went home and sorted myself out. Got some antibiotics the next day $24 The scar is really quite pretty.

I walked into a hospital in Chile with a wound half as big and they took me to a doctor straight away and then they changed doctors after two minutes apologising profusely as they wanted a doctor to treat me who was fluent in English... Cost $12 including medical care, antibiotics and a few oxycodone.

Shunned?

Look out the window, see those funny wires hanging in the streets? Those are the power and phone lines. I had forgotten about those, I hadn't seen those in such a long time.

Satisfied with your internet speeds? I find it terribly slow, they are rolling out super fast broadband across all of Australia at considerable expense to the tax payers. This is outdated before they even try and put it in.

There isn't a theatre next to my house. And nothing grabs me with what is available in Sydney.

Opera isn't my thing, but I have been to the opera house, The acoustics work fine if you sit in the middle, but if you are on the sides the acoustics are definitely lacking.

I was told that the original Danish architect was so unhappy with the changes made to his original design that he resigned from the project and wanted nothing to do with the Opera House.

Yes we have eaten in many restaurants in Sydney, only one was ok.

The rest have failed to impress, most haven't even brought smiles to our faces. The service mostly has been awful and arrogant.

So from humble eateries to high class restaurants it has been a disappointment.

In London we enjoyed to treat ourselves and loved dining out.

There are no clubs that do what I want to do in Sydney. What I used to do legally in Europe is so illegal here I just get laughed at when I ask questions. So I don't bother.

Asia is a long way away, it is many hours flight. It is not a short destination away.

Flying time from Heathrow to Amsterdam, Copengangen, Brussels is about an hour for each country, I can get to Melbourne in that time.

Infact I can fly from Heathrow to Russia in less time than what it takes to get to Asia.

Also I tire from bartering for everything in Asia, it is unbecoming for me to haggle for everything.

I would rather be in Copenhagen than Kathmandu, Brussels than Bangkok.

Well done on taking up the open university course, I really hope you enjoy it.

Is philosophy beige? Why don't you bring that question up in class and see what kind of a debate it brings up?

Many markets, non as eclectic.

Relax. you seem a little defensive.

Archived