Perth V's Melbourne

Lucie1

Going to travel in November for two weeks to look an area suitable for emigrating to. I am a nurse. Cannot decide on either Perth or Melbourne, any ideas ?

I wanted to look at job opportunities and areas to live in as I have two small children.

Thanks

Have a look at Fiona Stanley Hospital in Perth, an amazing state of the art hospital & lots of nice family areas around there to live - Melville, Murdoch, Kardinya and slightly further away the suburbs of Cockburn which are a bit cheaper.

We originally went to Melbourne as that is where we really wanted to emigrate. We stayed there for 3 months but something was missing. Anyway to cut a long story short, there was a building boom in perth so we decided to move over there(hubby is a brickie) we felt like we were home in Perth. We love it, the lovely weather, beaches, a more community feel. Perth, for us is brilliant and even though we like Melbourne we would choose perth every time.

I think it would depend where you can get a job. Nurses have been posting about the difficulty with finding a post these days. Once you have your registration sorted make the decision. Did read today though that some iron ore mines may be closed down and mothballed as the price of iron is so low. This may have an effect on Perth as so many people fly in and out to work. The one up side is that rents may reduce as they are particularly high in WA.

Melbourne is more european in my view and I could not live anywhere else in Aus. I have family in Perth and the like it but its a long way to go for a holiday on the east coast.

Thanks all. I really am stumped. My husband keeps on how the climate is better in Perth ????

The climate in Perth (we think) is more Mediterranean. As Petals said - it's a long way for a holiday over East - but certainly not out of the question. Having said that, we've had some fantastic holidays here in WA, and we're much closer to Asia which is great to explore.

Edited by ali

If you like suburban, blue skies, better beaches but less to do try Perth. Melbourne IMO is not the most attractive of cities but has a lot more expected of a city going on and more places within easier reach.

There have been some teething problems with the new hospital I was reading but it looks grand enough. Far too far away from anywhere I'd care to be though. But Perth rents are falling though still hardly cheap.

Another thing to consider working as a brickie in summer could prove challenging. With a family unit pretty much two bob each way.

I think it would depend where you can get a job. Nurses have been posting about the difficulty with finding a post these days. Once you have your registration sorted make the decision. Did read today though that some iron ore mines may be closed down and mothballed as the price of iron is so low. This may have an effect on Perth as so many people fly in and out to work. The one up side is that rents may reduce as they are particularly high in WA.

Melbourne is more european in my view and I could not live anywhere else in Aus. I have family in Perth and the like it but its a long way to go for a holiday on the east coast.

Why would you want to?

One is the most liveable city in the world, and the other one is Perth.

I would have though the answer was obvious.

Why would it when poster is not coming as part of a company package? The measurement you speak of is not aimed at migrants as such, as is pointed out each time it comes out. The poster may like views on the over heated housing costs for one or best job prospects in a declining economy for another.