Would you kill a snake??

fifi69

image.jpg

This photo is from one of my local neighbourhood FB pages.

just informing the locals that a snake was spotted today a few streets from where i live. Thankfully I've never seen one, but seems quite common, which to be honest is quite scary.

but the difference in the post which sparked a heavier, foul mouth debate than ever seen on here was the poster had said that they Didnt have time to kill it!!

People seemed upset, because it was only a baby, only small, was against the law to kill etc etc etc.

From the posts I believe it is unlawful to kill them, but you can do if its in your own garden or public place causing a threat to humans or pets, but not in a reserve area??

Truthfully though, if one was in or near your property, what what you do?

personally I wouldn't dare go near it but would want it gone ASAP.

The advice I liked best was try and contain it and call the snake man in, but getting anywhere near it to put a bucket over it would freak me out.

There is so much new builds going in where we live, plus a rash of recent bushfires. I do wonder where the snakes will go to:err:

image.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen

Snakes are protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 so it is illegal to kill them.

Would I kill one, unless it was coiled around my child or a pet then no. We have Pythons in our garden up to 15ft long even when they have got one of the chickens, we just take them back out and release further up in the rainforest, yes they always come back but they are beautiful creatures. Now if we had another red bellied black that we had in the waterfall in the side garden and it was in the house then I would call the snake removal guy in, same for any venomous snake but I'd never kill one.

Snakes are protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 so it is illegal to kill them.

Would I kill one, unless it was coiled around my child or a pet then no. We have Pythons in our garden up to 15ft long even when they have got one of the chickens, we just take them back out and release further up in the rainforest, yes they always come back but they are beautiful creatures. Now if we had another red bellied black that we had in the waterfall in the side garden and it was in the house then I would call the snake removal guy in, same for any venomous snake but I'd never kill one.

You know your snakes then PQ.

i wouldn't kill one either...I would be too scared:cry:

but ...if one was a threat to my girls or furbabies...then I would give it a good go.

having one hanging round the house....eek.

I saw a snake in the garden the other day,i t was about three feet away from me and slithered away under the house.

It was kinda black and really fast, I let it be as it must be eating things that I like less than black snakes, that and the fact I was a little freaked out!

Must have been 4cm wide.

If I knew that a particular snake would be good eating and it was in my garden it wouldn't be there very long.

But the black snake that is under my house can stay there, there is not much meat there, not only that I gather it was kinda mean and it let me off the day I saw it.

I probably wouldn't go near it! That one looks really small. Is it poisonous?

I know nothing about snakes SS...

some were saying a baby duguite??

So yes...

but tbh....we live in a country where everything's out to kill you:confused:

I know nothing about snakes SS...

some were saying a baby duguite??

So yes...

but tbh....we live in a country where everything's out to kill you:confused:

That's what I was saying earlier lol even the trees can harm you :laugh: I actually find snakes quite interesting. I've held cornsnakes in the UK and a python abroad but I don't really fancy meeting a duguite etc

Only if I HAD to, like a life and death situation otherwise I'd just respect it and keep my distance. After all, we decided to pop up shop in and amoungst them. There was a large Brown Snake that lived in the wall that separated our Garden from the neighbours. No wonder we never relaxed properly in it.....Just before we moved back to the UK, a new couple moved in with a couple of children, so I made it my business to warn them. Should have seen her face....but she thanked me.

I just leave alone and they disappear. If in the house I would call the Snake Catcher. My brother has an eastern brown that has decided their place is the place he/she wants to live and they leave it be and just wear boots in the garden. Its acreage so plenty for the snake to eat around,

The vast majority of people who are bitten by snakes are bitten when they're trying to kill or move the snake. As a general rule, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. That said, I killed one in the house a few years ago when it was between me and my hysterical daughter but under any other circumstances, I'd get the local snake catcher to come and get it and re-locate it. We keep his number next to the phone and it would be a good idea if everyone could do the same.

When we were growing up most people killed them if the found them in their yards or house but these days I would call a snake catcher.

This link is to a really good site that provides contact details for snake catchers around the country. You select your state or territory and then the area you live so you can find the closest help.

http://www.snakecatchers.com/snakeremoval/western_australia/

Growing up on a farm, they were everywhere.

We only ever had copperheads or tigers. Both poisonous.

Outside, they were left alone unless they tried to live in the back yard.

Inside was a different story.

I can remember 5 that needed removing from the house.

2 in bedrooms, 2 in the toilet and 1 in the lounge.

Its not like you can shoo a deadly snake down the hall and out the door.

Nor can you pick it up to relocate it.

Thus they got a smack with a wire or fernhook and were hung over the fence for a kookaburra to collect for dinner.

Growing up on a farm, they were everywhere.

We only ever had copperheads or tigers. Both poisonous.

Outside, they were left alone unless they tried to live in the back yard.

Inside was a different story.

I can remember 5 that needed removing from the house.

2 in bedrooms, 2 in the toilet and 1 in the lounge.

Its not like you can shoo a deadly snake down the hall and out the door.

Nor can you pick it up to relocate it.

Thus they got a smack with a wire or fernhook and were hung over the fence for a kookaburra to collect for dinner.

Omg that's like a scene from a horror movie. 5 snakes in the house!

I wouldn't be able to kill one anyway, I'd just miss and then it would bite me! I didn't even realise we had a poisonous snake in the wild till a few years ago!

In all the years I've been here, I've never come across a snake. I know they're there but I've never actually seen one. We used to stay with friends on a property near Bathurst, NSW and there must have been snakes there and Anne, my friend had a red bellied black snake come into the house but I never came face to face with one. I wouldn't kill one if I did - to be honest, I don't know what my reaction would be ........ terror I think.

In all the years I've been here, I've never come across a snake. I know they're there but I've never actually seen one. We used to stay with friends on a property near Bathurst, NSW and there must have been snakes there and Anne, my friend had a red bellied black snake come into the house but I never came face to face with one. I wouldn't kill one if I did - to be honest, I don't know what my reaction would be ........ terror I think.

The best reaction is to freeze and think.

if poisonous:

If its coiled in an s shape or has its head off the ground it is prepared to strike,

If you freeze it will slowly lower its head and attempt to move off.

You are too big to attack for dinner, it just wants to get away in one piece (as too will you)

Finally you can slowly back away and head in an uphill direction.

As you move out of its strike zone it will generally shoot off downhill.

This is the current first aid info on snake bites

http://stjohn.org.au/assets/uploads/fact%20sheets/english/FS_snakebite.pdf

I have no idea what to do if its not poisonous. A 15 foot long python sunning itself in the back yard would be a little unsettling though

I have encountered dangerous looking snakes three times - once out bush, once in my garden, once in a botanic garden (two brown snakes, one red bellied black). They are fascinating to look at, and when I finished looking I stomped my foot and they went away. Found a huge python in the street (Mt Gravatt!) took a photo and a few hours later it was gone - off to bushland... My son has a pet black headed python in our spare room - It was nippy at first but now used to handling and always attracts a lot of interest when out on 'walks' I think they are fascinating creatures - but have seen nothing to fear if you respect them and leave them alone. They have every right to be here and do a good job with eating rats, mice etc.... I do worry about stepping on one out bush - But if I found a dodgy one in the house, I'd call help. Now cockroaches..... that's an entirely different thing altogether!

None at all?

Almost none.

Maybe if you came across an inland taipan in central queensland.

They are about the only aggressive snake that might go you for no reason.

In virtually all cases a snake will not attack you for no reason and you have the option of retreating.

I'm sure you don't want the hassle of being prosecuted for killing a protected species.

But there would be no reason why you would have to.

BS, if you live on a farm 2+ hours from the closest large town and there is one in the babies room, it gets the shovel, you cant afford to wait until the snake catcher turns up two days later.

BS, if you live on a farm 2+ hours from the closest large town and there is one in the babies room, it gets the shovel, you cant afford to wait until the snake catcher turns up two days later.

Well I would try to find another way if it was me.

Maybe the baby could sleep in my room for a few days.

Well I would try to find another way if it was me.

Maybe the baby could sleep in my room for a few days.

Surely you are kidding me.

Snakes move.

"Its fine kiddo, just sleep in the room next door to where there was a tiger snake this morning."

"Not sure where it is now, probably still under your cot"

"But youre safe in here next door"

"No idea how it got into your room so shutting the door should be fine to contain it"

"make sure to turn on the lights when you go to the loo in the middle of the night, now"

"Sleep tight, dont let the tiger snakes bite!!!"

:twitcy:

Archived