Any Advise on Private healthcare insurance

The Dark Don

Hello peeps hows your fine day going here in the sun? No Rain for three months now is always a bonus if any. I have a question to fire out to the mass of Poms that know their stuff. Ive been thinking of getting private healthcare and have been quoted through compare the meerkat of $150 per month with Bupa. I know Bupa from back home and have a great reputation. Does this sound good or to expensive? This is with hospital cover so bumps the price up quite a bit. I am also under the unstanding that i can not use the hospital care for major surgeries for 12 months. Does anyone know if there is one you can use straight away when you sign up or does that not exist. All thoughts on here is really useful as i will be going with somebody within the next week.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read.:biglaugh:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Dark Don we have been with Bupa for 3 years I think now.

What they do say is for the first 12 month you are not covered for any pre existing conditions, so if you had a dodgy hip and took out the policy and then decided in a months time you wanted the op you won't be covered, if you wait for 12 months then it's covered. If you take out extras cover ie dental, glasses etc they sometimes allow you to make claims straight away but its usually only for the basics. In the 12 month waiting period you will be covered for emergency treatment as below

• is in a life threatening situation and requires urgent assessment and resuscitation
  • has suspected acute organ or system failure
  • has an illness or injury where the function of a body part or organ is acutely threatened
  • has a drug overdose, toxic substance or toxin effect
  • has psychiatric disturbance whereby the health of the person or other people are at immediate risk
  • has severe pain and the function of a body part or organ is suspected to be acutely threatened
  • has acute haemorrhaging and requires urgent assessment and treatment
  • has a condition that requires immediate admission to avoid imminent threat to their life and where a transfer to another facility is impractical.

• 2 weeks later...

When researching PHI providers I came across this confusing mess of "No Gap", "Known Gap", "CAP on gap" etc. Advisable to read up. WARNING: They are not what they'll read like.

I would also look at getting your Hospital cover and Extras cover from different providers. This may increase your total premiums but you'll be using the right tool for the right job, so to speak.

Guest AltyMatt

Check with your employer, as some provide corporate cover with no waiting time. However, this is usually a top-level cover and is priced accordingly.

Guys i posted this thread to see if going private could help me asap as i have herniated a disc in my back and I've been advised by doctors i need surgery. I can wait on Medicare to get it done but thats 8-12 months fly home to uk and wait on the NHS waiting list of 12-24 months. Go totally private and spend $50000 dollars which i don't have. Or get private medicare insurance but they all have a 12 month wait before you can use the hospital cover. AS i am in terrible pain all the time and I can not work does anyone know if there is any scheme like the social back home that can help me out while I wait for the surgery?

thanks for reading and the comments are so helpful

Guest Chewitts
Guys i posted this thread to see if going private could help me asap as i have herniated a disc in my back and I've been advised by doctors i need surgery. I can wait on Medicare to get it done but thats 8-12 months fly home to uk and wait on the NHS waiting list of 12-24 months. Go totally private and spend $50000 dollars which i don't have. Or get private medicare insurance but they all have a 12 month wait before you can use the hospital cover. AS i am in terrible pain all the time and I can not work does anyone know if there is any scheme like the social back home that can help me out while I wait for the surgery?

What visa are you here on and how long have you been here Dark Don?

Hi Chewitts I'm on a 190 skilled migration visa i'm a permeant resident but only touched down here on the 11/09/2014 so don't think theres much they can help me with as in he way of social unless Australia and the uk have some reciprocal agreement I'm not aware of that we help australians in the uk and they help brits in Australia. Have you heard anything?

There is also often an option to have private surgery but in a public hospital. This often works out significantly cheaper than full private but still lets you jump the queue.

You may have already gone this route but I would also consider approaching hospital/local member etc to ask about getting your waiting category escalated given the pain and inability to work. Good luck.

Guest Chewitts
Hi Chewitts I'm on a 190 skilled migration visa i'm a permeant resident but only touched down here on the 11/09/2014 so don't think theres much they can help me with as in he way of social unless Australia and the uk have some reciprocal agreement I'm not aware of that we help australians in the uk and they help brits in Australia. Have you heard anything?

No there is no access to a centrelink disability pension until you have been here for 2 years. Have you sustained your injury since being in Australia or was it already there before?

That's awful. This is an extreme measure but see if you can switch to an employer that offers corporate insurance with no waiting periods.

We offer corporate sponsored insurance with no waiting period but it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions so it's unlikely this would work even if the OP could change roles.

I arrived in Perth a month ago & immediately got a Medicare Card. All overseas visitors are given the card with Reciprocal written across it, UNLESS they arrive with a permanent visa from the start. I have a 143. - parent's temporary visa. I chose not to have the immediate permanent visa, because $40,000 is a lot to commit to when you don't know if you will like the way of life. So I paid just over half, & then I got 2yrs to make up my mind. If I like it, I pay the balance & I'm a permanent resident. However, because I am regarded as a temporary resident, I come under the heading of ' Overseas Visitor.' I went to HBF as a sort of benchmark & learned that there are no insurers can give me a private health insurance, EXCEPT Bupa. After 12 months the cost drops dramatically. So it's a case of Hobson's choice..............BUPA healthcare or NO healthcare.

Hope this helps!

I sympathise with your problem because I had to have a double spinal fusion myself in 2013 for the same thing. I went private because I had insurance though.

Private health insurance won't help you because they won't cover pre-existing conditions, sometimes for two years (not just 12 months). Are you sure the Medicare waiting list is as long as 8-12 months? I ask because my friend's father had the same op on Medicare recently and he was quoted that timeframe but in fact, he got a call within a month.

In the meantime, I found reflexology was a huge help in dealing with the pain - even though I walked into the clinic thinking it was a load of rubbish (but I was desperate by that stage!). I know others who have found acupuncture helped. Neither one can cure the problem, but they work by blocking the pain messages to the brain so they can give a lot of relief.

You wouldn't be able to get it on the NHS if you are no longer resident! Looks like the public wait is going to have to be it. My son swore by acupuncture when he injured himself but it seems bunkum to me. Hope you can find something to help while you wait

You wouldn't be able to get it on the NHS if you are no longer resident! Looks like the public wait is going to have to be it. My son swore by acupuncture when he injured himself but it seems bunkum to me. Hope you can find something to help while you wait

It seemed bunkum to me too, but I've had to eat my words. It was reflexology that I tried - I was so desperate I was willing to try anything. In fact I was lying on the treatment table thinking "what a bloody waste of time." They'd told me it could take four to six treatments to have any effect and I'd already decided one was enough, because there was obviously no way it could work.

Then I got up the next morning with no pain for the first time in over a year!!

They do say that some people are sensitive to it and some people just aren't. I tried acupuncture and it did nothing for me, whereas reflexology works - but I know two other people who found the reverse.

Guest Chewitts
However, because I am regarded as a temporary resident, I come under the heading of ' Overseas Visitor.' I went to HBF as a sort of benchmark & learned that there are no insurers can give me a private health insurance, EXCEPT Bupa. After 12 months the cost drops dramatically. So it's a case of Hobson's choice..............BUPA healthcare or NO healthcare.

Hope this helps!

Most health insurers will cover temporary visitors for example this is the medibank one.....http://www.medibank.com.au/Visitors-Cover/About-Visitors-Cover/Top-85-Visitors-Health-Insurance.aspx

We are here on a long term temporary retirement visa (410) no longer available to newbies, and have cover for temporary residence with Medibank.

we are totally self funded and have to have private cover, it is a requirement for our visa, as we aren't entitled to Medicare ever.

not all overseas visitors are automatically given Medicare cover on arrival, there are many exceptions, including us.

Archived