washing machine etc white goods

shazney64

Guest bohlesover
Do you take or not?

Washing machine is about 6 years but still fine touch wood

Dishwasher newer

dryer newer

Do you take them, do you need to convert or something?

cheers sharon xx

Hi Sharon

WM will be fine, to be honest quality white goods here are very expensive so if yours is in good working order then bring it, you just have to weigh up the cost of shipping to buying new. If you have ordinary TV then forget it, but plasma monitors are fine. When you coming and what part you going to? Karen

If you can be sure that you can get parts for your white goods then bring them... my only concern is that you get them here and then they don't work... and then you are hunting for parts...

we have bought all new since we arrived... some products offer money back if you get energy efficient etc we got $75 back off our washing machine.

but they all cost money and for me it's one item a month!!! and at the moment i need a dryer - as it's raining...so i am wishing i'd brought that with us!!! .... lol.... typical really!!

min x:wubclub:

Thanks KAren looking at Sydney but prob NSW more affordable. Just starting the process although have battled for two years to be able to take my son. Got permission just last week, but have started to pack and have good old clear out. Ideally want a shared container, dont have that much as in sideboards tables etc. Wardrobes are all fitted here. Just two beds, sofa,dining table and boxes of stuff.

I think will take the white goods save the expense other side. The remainder of stuff selling here and putting away the money to replace. Did start already stocking up on bedding etc. as that is meant to be more expensive.

I just want to keep busy lol.

Where are you?

Guest EmmaC
Hi Sharon

WM will be fine, to be honest quality white goods here are very expensive so if yours is in good working order then bring it, you just have to weigh up the cost of shipping to buying new. If you have ordinary TV then forget it, but plasma monitors are fine. When you coming and what part you going to? Karen

Hi Karen,

Just a quickie about TV's.

I was on the understanding you could either pay approx $70.00 to get them converted or they would work if you have foxtel.

We have been donated a 2 year old flat screen so want to bring it over.

Is it really worth it?

E x

Guest bohlesover

Hi Sharon

I am in Cairns! paradise. Bedding can be expensive, but when you get a good sale on in Adairs or Myers you can pick up some bargains, remember we mainly have double beds in UK, much more queen and king size here, because of size of homes. Karen

Guest bohlesover

Hi Emma

I have not heard of the conversion, but I am sure its true, if so then bring it, foxtel is good (austar in Qld) and it will work with that, but remember you will have to get that on first and although it has speeded up a bit, service is still slower to get going here. Karen

We brought our TV and got a box (sorry don't know the technical term), but Nigel pluged it in and it worked. We also brought our washing machine and dryer as they weren't that old and we thought if we got 12 months out of them it was 12 months without having to buy a new one. 15 months on and still going strong. You'll be surprised in winter how much you use your dryer.

Ali

Guest Jaynie

I brought my washer and dryer, unfortunately the washer drum/bearings collapsed about 6 months later, the guy said it was the washing powder over here that did it, he was a Pommie too. The dryer was fine and I would suggest bringing one over. As someone else mentioned, even if they only work for a short while it's better than having to buy heaps of things once you are here.

Guest rachelj

Hi we brought our washer/dryer over and it seemed fine but had internal damage from the trip over. which when we read the small print on insurance was not covered.it only covered external damage. so check the small print on your insurance first. rach

Hi Sharon

I am in Cairns! paradise. Bedding can be expensive, but when you get a good sale on in Adairs or Myers you can pick up some bargains, remember we mainly have double beds in UK, much more queen and king size here, because of size of homes. Karen

Great have a king size, but only a single for son, he wanted a double when we moved, he may have to have a queen lol

We brought our TV and got a box (sorry don't know the technical term), but Nigel pluged it in and it worked. We also brought our washing machine and dryer as they weren't that old and we thought if we got 12 months out of them it was 12 months without having to buy a new one. 15 months on and still going strong. You'll be surprised in winter how much you use your dryer.

Ali

We desp need new Tvs here but didnt bother cause wanting to move. The 2 potables are ok though just the main one very old.

Are they like digi boxes here? If so may bring the portables

Thanks guys sharon xx

If I could change anything it would be that I would have brought everything. Bring it all cause they will work and you will save yourself time and money...also bring a decent vacum cleaner if you can.

:yes: Yes i agree, we brought everything with us even my beloved "Henry" whos great on the hard floors, along with a Panasonic viera LCD TV which we purchased from Currys in 2003 & works fine here in Oz with a set top box (The capability of a set-top box will depend upon its specifications. A set-top box, when connected to an analogue television set, will usually give viewers an improved signal, SDTV-equivalent picture quality and select on screen enhancements. Set-top boxes can provide a picture output to either analogue or digital screen displays.)Some friends of ours can only get 2 out of all the free to air channels even with a set top box simply becuase of where their property is situated and the distance from the transmission tower. This is not needed if you have in Foxtel installed - since we have purchased a new tv & now just use the uk tv in another room (we do think the tvs here are a bit pricey)

This link is quite a helpful site regarding tv's

Mr Antenna - Australia's Leading T.V antenna Installation Company, reception, digital, installations, MR1317, MR1823, MR08, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, TV, Video espec in the FAQ

p.s. even our landline phones worked here in oz

Gizmo

Guest John Sydney

With TV's just remember that Analog signal is going to be switched off in Australia about 2009 -2010 All tv will then be using Digital Signal you can get around this but using a Digital set up box

Archived