A couple of nice UK shows to watch!

Jacaranda

Wow,atm I'm watching On The Road with Richard Wilson on ITV.He's in Derbyshire and it looks stunning!I am going to have to go there!:cute:Just also saw a preview for another show,ITV The Wonder of Britain,with Julia Bradbury.Looks interesting. Buxton in Derbyshire looks like a great place to visit.

Derbyshire can be a great place to visit. Having grown up there I often wondered why I would see holiday makers out in the peak district but I appreciate what we had when I was growing up there more as I got older. You get blasé about the place you were born and grew up in and don't realise how nice it was until you move away.

Buxton is OK and there are some great places to see around the Peak District. Snake Pass is a great drive, Chatsworth Park is beautiful on a nice day, we used to bike to Chatsworth Park and Hardwick Hall as kids and open the gates for cars coming through. Great way to earn a bit of cash as some people can be quite generous. We never asked for money but people will often give to kids when they aren't cheeky.

Matlock and Matlock Bath are well worth a visit, another place we used to bike to and do a pub crawl. Bit dodgy biking back when you've had a few though.:laugh: We used to stick to the country back roads.

Another interesting place is the blue John mines in Castleton. We had a couple of trips there with our school and went caving too. We took our kids when they were young and it's not really changed that much.

Chesterfield is worth a visit for the markets and pubs and the Crooked Spire.:yes:

Anyone know of any other good DVDs of British travel/countryside series?

I have;

"B road Britain" by Robbie Coltrane.

A Picture of Britain" by David Dimbleby

Oz and James "Drink to Britain"

Oz and Hugh Raise the Bar

Martin Clunes "Islands of Britain"

Gruff Rhys Jones "Mountain"

Hugh Dennis "Great British Countryside".

I'm always open for more recommendations!!!

There were some good shows Thom with Julia Bradbury but for the life of me,can't remember what they were called.I think one was walking the canals?If you google her name it might give you the run down of her shows. I'd like to see more of the UK actually.I've lived in different area's but still loads to see and do.The RIchard Wilson show last night is a new series.

I work near Buxton and I can assure you it's not that great lol!! Not much there and in the middle of nowhere..very peaceful though :)

Sounds exactly then like my kind of place.It would be nice to stay there and use it as a base to head out for walks.

I work near Buxton and I can assure you it's not that great lol!! Not much there and in the middle of nowhere..very peaceful though :)

....Go to Buxton with that comment ! (Sorry could resist). Seriously your right BUT it is gorgeous countryside and your guaranteed to get snow in January/February even if it a sprinkle, very pretty.

• 2 months later...
Wow,atm I'm watching On The Road with Richard Wilson on ITV.He's in Derbyshire and it looks stunning!I am going to have to go there!:cute:Just also saw a preview for another show,ITV The Wonder of Britain,with Julia Bradbury.Looks interesting. Buxton in Derbyshire looks like a great place to visit.

Mel ...i had a job up there a while back .....drove through Bakewell .....buxton .....and one more town.....i was quite excited about the drive through......but it wasn't all that......so many better places than that.....it saved me a long weekend in the Derbyshire dales......

• 3 weeks later...

It is a quaint little town aye - but beware the snow as it tends to get lots of it!

If you do get here I would recommend Bakewell too, as well as places like Hathersage and the Ladybower Reservoir which is where the Dambusters practiced with 'Bouncing Bombs' before they used them in Germany. They have a flyover by Lancaster bombers each year to commemorate this event.

Archived