Stuck on who to fly with

Chloe Emerson

I've been looking at flights tonight. I'm not sure who to fly with. I'm planning on flying late next month. Last time I did a straight through flight with virgin atlantic. Do any of the other airlines do this? I went the Hong Kong route last time. What's the best route to fly? Any airlines that don't have a long stopover is good. Any advice would be great

Virgin Atlantic no longer fly to Australia , the only airlines that fly direct , same plane services between the UK and Australia are BA and Qantas .. BA operate via Singapore and Qantas via Dubai . Don't be fooled by the " cheap " deals that often end up with a 45 hr flight ,

Dave C

On the same plane with just a refuelling stop - BA and Qantas. I prefer going through Hong Kong/Singapore rather than Dubai personally and BA are the only ones doing that now but unfortunately I've had some less than stellar flights with BA in the past.

I flew Emirates this year and found them to be excellent.I think we had a 1.5hr gap.I can't say I was overly thrilled with Dubai airport (flying alone),but that's only because I haven't flown that route before,and it wasn't familiar.I'd definitely fly that way again though if I had OH with me lol

It would be great if you could support either a British or Australian airline.

Perhaps if they gave better customer service people would use them more. A friend of my wife's travelled on Qantas last year. She was given a meat sandwich after having requested vegetarian. When she asked for it to be changed she was told to bite around the meat. Contrast that with the impeccable service Singapore have given my family and there is no competition. The last Western airline I travelled on was Canadian in 2004 and even asking for a Pepsi half way into the flight was too much effort and induced eye-rolling from the stewardess. They have competition now, and they're losing.

Just been back and had to get a quick flight as my Dad died. The cheapest was Qatar so I flew with them via Doha into Manchester. Think I paid about $1600. Plane from Perth to Doha was only about 25% full so had a whole row of seats in the middle of the plane to myself so was able to get a decent sleep. Most people seemed to have the same amount of room.

Quick stopover in Doha both ways, couple of hours.

Plane from Doha to Manchester a bit busier but still a row of four seats and me and another guy on the outside rows. Coming back both flights were a bit busier but still spare seats between me and the next passenger on both legs, makes a massive difference.

Don't know how they make it pay, must be subsidised massively by the government. No wonder Qantas and other competing airlines can't match them.

If I could afford it though I would still go with Singapore airlines, their service on board was much better and Singapore airport nicer for a stopover. Connection times weren't as good though.

Thanks Rob. It's the phone call that we know is coming but put it to the back of our minds until it happens. My Sister and family all live close to my parents and do a great job. They managed to persuade them to move to where they live in Melton Mowbray from where we born and brought up in Chesterfield. My Dad was 93 and my Mum is 90 and it was great to see my Mum settled into a care home.

Great to see and catch up with family but great to be home too. A trip back to the UK at this time of year makes you realise why we left.

We flew over in June with Etihad, despite the 3 hour stop in Abu Dhabi and the 1 hour refuel in Singapore, the flight was fantastic and I would certainly fly them again.

I too got the dreaded call in October when my mother passed away, with just a few hours notice, I was able to book with Cathay Pacific, very reasonable with a very short stop in Hong Kong.

The customer service on both airlines was superb and would wholeheartedly recommend both.

It would be great if you could support either a British or Australian airline.

Lol. BA are stupidly expensive for an average service at best. Qantas - almost as expensive and not even an average service. (BA are also a Spanish airline in reality)

Would much rather fly Singapore, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Malaysia or Garuda.

Lol. BA are stupidly expensive for an average service at best. Qantas - almost as expensive and not even an average service. (BA are also a Spanish airline in reality)

Would much rather fly Singapore, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Malaysia or Garuda.

Nothing to lol about.

I prefer to support a British or Australian airline if I can.

Archived