Going back after only 8 weeks!!

Guest Bolton2Brisbane

Guest guest12791
I know they say time is a great healer but in all honesty i cant give it any longer. I would be the first one to laugh and say that 8 weeks is not long enough. I speak to family & friends daily and bought me mam & dad a webcam, but when i see them it just makes me feel worse.

I got a job when we arrived but i still didnt fit in, i really dont know what i expected when we got here. I could go back for a holiday but i still dont think this will improve anything.

At the end of the day i tried it and i know that it's not for me, shame about the other half and poor bloody cats.......

Hello you,

i felt exactly the same as you are feeling now when we moved to brisbane last year. after four months i was beside myself, couldnt deal with the loneliness and my partner couldnt get a job. (hes an engineer and got no response from thirty applications). I said to my partner after spending thousands of pounds, its time to go back because the thought of being stuck was unbearable. I booked the flights and my partner and i both went back to our old jobs in west yorkshire.

Now we are both unhappy, feel failures and want to go back to try again to brisbane, i am upset because he wanted to stay in oz and i just made the decision and that was that.

All i can say to you is do whats right for you, life isnt long enough, australia dosent suit everyone. If you return and want to go back to australia, even if its expensive you can save and go again! Your family are here and will always be here for you no matter what and iam sure will support you with every decision you make.

take care annemarie x

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new to this site but I have lived in Aus now for 30 years. Its funny no-one likes a new place because people like familiar things, I left England with my parents and we lived in Africa, New Zealand and then Australia. My mum was so homesick it was awful and no email, phone was expensive and could not just nip back. Then I married a geordie and went to live in England again and I hated it when I arrived there could not wait to get back to Aus. Then we came to Aus to live and I hated Australia because I had got used to the UK by then. Now I love it of course and have been back to UK and would not live there now as we are used to the wide open spaces here and the way of life.

My husband works with lots of brits and one of them up stakes and went back to UK after 10 years here, then he had to come back again and has stayed ever since.

Nowhere is perfect, we only remember the good things about places, its what we make of it and how we approach it. Gosh I had plenty of experience with my parents and it was hard but its life and living in Australia with many other immigrants has given us a great life and our children have no desire to live in UK. Of course we miss family but its good now because we have email, video links and skype and can be in touch just as much as if we lived there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bolton2Brisbane

Hi,

Just thought i'd say a quick hello and see how everyone is getting on. Dont tend to come on here now as i want to forget about OZ for a while. Everything is going well, got my old job back plus other half got a job at the NHS.

Still living with parents saving some dosh, also got used to explaining why we are back....

Anyway all the very best for the future, and thanks once again for all the many kind replies that you gave.

Ta ta for now.

Guest earlswood
Hi,

Just thought i'd say a quick hello and see how everyone is getting on. Dont tend to come on here now as i want to forget about OZ for a while. Everything is going well, got my old job back plus other half got a job at the NHS.

Still living with parents saving some dosh, also got used to explaining why we are back....

Anyway all the very best for the future, and thanks once again for all the many kind replies that you gave.

Ta ta for now.

Hey...stick around...I want some unbiased views of what it is like back home now.....apart from the weather:yes:

Guest clare robson

hi

mY OIPINION I THINK THAT YOU HAVE BEEN SO BRAVE AND YOUR OH VERY PATIENT.

WELL DONE ON GIVING IT A TRY AND WHO KNOWS NEXT TIME IF THERE IS A NEXT TIME TRY A DIFFERENT PLACE IN OZ MAY BE BRISBAIN WASN'T FOR YOU.

AS YOU SAY YOU BOTH ARE STILL YOUNG AND PLENTY OF TIME BUT MAKE SURE IT IS BEFORE KIDS ARE INVOLVED AS I THINK THAT THIS WOULD BE HARDER.

GET SAVING AND PUT THE LAST MOVE DOWN TO EXPERIENCE.

GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE LIFE IS TOOOOOOOOOOOO SHORT

TAKE CARE

Guest Curlysoo

Some of these postings are heartbreaking ..... we all go through so much mentally before we even make the initial decision to go to Oz, we then make the emotional step of telling our nearest and dearest what we plan to do ...then comes the expense and the growing tensions as we wait and plan and cope and cope yet again before all plans are made and we go ..... and follow our dream, to then find for varying reasons it just isnt right, it isnt what we wanted, home isnt Oz it is somewhere else.

Sometimes it is braver to be honest enough to say Oz isnt right for me ... and go home. Than to continue to struggle and be unhappy.:yes:

I truly hope I dont go through what many of you have ..... I am down to less than 2 weeks before the packers arrive and I am honest enough to say I am nervous about it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i'm new to PIO today...been in Brisbane for nearly 5 months and I absolutely agree with what B2B wrote after 8 weeks - in fact it could have been me that wrote it. I have committed myself to 12 months and feel that it is only fair to my husband and myself to review it after that time.....but oooohhh it is so hard and i know that if my lovely patient husband said OK that's enough i would be on the first plane back to Brum.

This is no doubt a beautiful country but i feel that some things aren't meant to be .....anyway we will see.

I also think that the Australians are hard nuts to crack - ... maybe thats just me!!!!!!!!

Anyway - if there are any other lonely POMS / BRUMMIES out there please respond and tell me its all going to be alright..... cus i cant see it at the moment....just feel sad all the time.

I wondered if there were any Pom Clubs, Brum Clubs etc in Brisbane - the City would be good and Eastern suburbs would be fantastic .

Looking forward............my husband keeps telling me the glass is half full.....but i keep drinkin!!!!!!!!:sad::unsure:

Guest moonraker1961

Oh dear,

Can't help you either way but just wanted to say someone is bound to come to your rescue.You will get loads of support from fellow PIO folk,so you are not alone!It probably will get better as time goes on,but only you know how you feel,take care xxx

Guest Jaynie
Hi i'm new to PIO today...been in Brisbane for nearly 5 months and I absolutely agree with what B2B wrote after 8 weeks - in fact it could have been me that wrote it. I have committed myself to 12 months and feel that it is only fair to my husband and myself to review it after that time.....but oooohhh it is so hard and i know that if my lovely patient husband said OK that's enough i would be on the first plane back to Brum.

This is no doubt a beautiful country but i feel that some things aren't meant to be .....anyway we will see.

I also think that the Australians are hard nuts to crack - ... maybe thats just me!!!!!!!!

Anyway - if there are any other lonely POMS / BRUMMIES out there please respond and tell me its all going to be alright..... cus i cant see it at the moment....just feel sad all the time.

I wondered if there were any Pom Clubs, Brum Clubs etc in Brisbane - the City would be good and Eastern suburbs would be fantastic .

Looking forward............my husband keeps telling me the glass is half full.....but i keep drinkin!!!!!!!!:sad::unsure:

Hi Welcome to PIO,

Just wondered if you read all of the pages on this thread? as the original poster also added what she was feeling now she was back in the UK too, it's food for thought.

I hope you manage to settle down soon and make some contacts on this site, maybe if you put another fresh thread out there you will get some good responses soon.

Hope this helps.

Hi Skippy Welcome to PIO.Dont be too hard on yourself your not the only one who is disappointed with Oz.Wish I could say it will get better but for me it never did. Sometimes I have heard of peole turning it around I hope you do...but If not at least you tried and you only have 9 months left !!

Guest earlswood

Looking forward............my husband keeps telling me the glass is half full.....but i keep drinkin!!!!!!!!:sad:

No it's not.....I find the women are OK because I am a single bloke but the men and the older folk are kinda weird if you get my drift....they just seem so nieve and un-streetwise....I suppose it is that so many of them have never been outside of their own country.:no:

Guest Pinhead
No it's not.....I find the women are OK because I am a single bloke but the men and the older folk are kinda weird if you get my drift....they just seem so nieve and un-streetwise....I suppose it is that so many of them have never been outside of their own country.:no:

If you live in such a great country why would you want to go anywhere else:biglaugh:

Guest The Stevenses

I have been here 3 months and had a dreadful day yesterday, just like you, felt awful and if someone had offered me a plane ticket I would have been straight there, I just wanted to go home, was planning how my kids' education could be worked out, etc, etc. Dreaded mentioning it to my husband as thought he would go mad but he phoned me and it all came out. It is not as simple as just going home, there are many implications, mainly my kids' education - daughter almost 15.

Bless him, he has been so lovely and understanding, even taking me out to lunch tomorrow, very unusual for him believe me!!

I just realised that although I feel dreadful everyone else in the family is fine and settling. Husband's job going really well and kids enjoying their new schools. It would not be fair on my kids to be encouraging them to settle one minute and then trying to persuade them to go home the next. I didn't mention anything to them by the way!!

I had lunch today with a lovely friend who really perked me up and I feel a bit better now. I'm sure I will feel better when I get a job - fingers crossed.

I have my parents visiting at Christmas which I am so looking forward to and couldn't do anything about going home or anything until after that anyway, this is forcing me to give it another 6 months which is a good thing, so I am hoping by then I will feel better.

By the way I am also orginally from Brum but live in Sydney!!

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Jo

Guest labby1

Hi

So sorry to hear how you feel. Its awful to be away from the people you love and the places you know. Its never the same as a holiday. We don't move out until Jan of next year but we have committed ourselves to give it 2 years as we feel thats how long it will take to settle in. My OH is in the Navy and when we moved from Scotland to England we were so excited we didn't realise what a rench it would actually be. I know its closer than moving to the other side of the world, but the feelings are still the same. We left our 16 year old daughter with her Gran as she didn't want to move and for weeks I felt so depressed, but lots of contact via telephone and getting out and enjoying the new experiences, helped me adapt. We have moved several times since and the feelings are always there for the first few weeks, but you do adapt, even though you think you won't. When we make the big move in Jan I will be leaving me three bigger kids in the UK but they are happy for us and have said its now our time. We have looked into Skype, etc etc and are going knowing that we will eventually settle in. I hope you can give it more time, but if you decide to head back to the Uk, I wish you all be best. Good luck in whatever you decide. x

Labby

Guest moonraker1961

Pinhead:Its probably more to do with the average aussie not being able to afford to get out the country!

Guest earlswood
If you live in such a great country why would you want to go anywhere else:biglaugh:

You kidding...try talking to aussies working over here in bars etc...they love the UK and say it is so much better that the boring place they left behind...many I have met working in various bars would love to stay but have no chance once their working visa's run out.

You kidding...try talking to aussies working over here in bars etc...they love the UK and say it is so much better that the boring place they left behind...many I have met working in various bars would love to stay but have no chance once their working visa's run out.

Thought it was easy to get into the uk

Malx

Guest Pinhead

Earlswood, you really have no sense of humour do you?:no:

Guest caznik

mornin peeps (well it is here in leeds), i spent 10 years in melbourne.

came back after 16 months - really missed my parents in scotland, lasted 6 months and went back to melbourne for the rest of the duration, been back now17 years and miss oz like something silly. got grandkids in uk now - makes the decision harder on wether to leave them here and follow my heart back to oz.

Hard choice to make but i never thought my grandkids would be here so quickly, thought i could get the kids back to oz after my dad died, before they all started sprouting out babies,but all happened same time.

I think your right. It's not home sickness. I HAVE SEVERE HOME SICKNESS. A country going into a downward spiral. People getting stabbed ,police arresting people for taking pictures of they 're own children,the lack of rights we seem to have due to being Brits, stupid laws from Brussels an open Europe where people can work (and claim ) legally, THE CREDIT CRUNCH, houses not selling. 67million people and rising, 66.5 million to go in Taz emagine that. I could go on ,if I have'nt already. Look around you,is this worth giving up for my previous rant? Try making A list of for's and againsts and be really honest to yourself. A Aussie air hostess said to me and my wife recently "you will be making the best move of your life and I have lived all over the world, but you have to give it A fair crack of the wip, give it to years." My earlier coments are only mine ,but as you probably remember alot agree. Why do you tink they call us whinging Pommes? cos we got reason. Hope every think goes well and remember the list. GOOD LUCK .

Guest caznik

lists are always useful they put everything into perspective, but when its loneliness we're dealing with then that is a bit more difficult. I think the most important thing to help settle in oz is get a job straight away , the australian people are so friendly that you would soon become a welcomed member at anyones door. again if you do feel miserable then think that one through - why/what it is that is making you homesick, what do you actually miss that you cant get in oz I mean like its been pointed out in previous posts you can phone to the uk for pennies, and then theres the webcam. gets you a good bit closer to your family/friends somewhere else. even the cost of the flights are not overly expensive. I saw a holiday advertised in a agents window yesterday to filey in the uk for 745gbp for 7 days, for 830gbp you could fly to oz (taxes included) be realistic it may be at the end of the earth but the earths a complete circle.

Archived