Going back after only 8 weeks!!

Guest Bolton2Brisbane

Guest earlswood
I think your right. It's not home sickness. I HAVE SEVERE HOME SICKNESS. A country going into a downward spiral. People getting stabbed ,police arresting people for taking pictures of they 're own children,the lack of rights we seem to have due to being Brits, stupid laws from Brussels an open Europe where people can work (and claim ) legally, THE CREDIT CRUNCH, houses not selling. 67million people and rising, 66.5 million to go in Taz emagine that. I could go on ,if I have'nt already. Look around you,is this worth giving up for my previous rant? Try making A list of for's and againsts and be really honest to yourself. A Aussie air hostess said to me and my wife recently "you will be making the best move of your life and I have lived all over the world, but you have to give it A fair crack of the wip, give it to years." My earlier coments are only mine ,but as you probably remember alot agree. Why do you tink they call us whinging Pommes? cos we got reason. Hope every think goes well and remember the list. GOOD LUCK .

Mate you could be talking about Australia....it has ALL the crap the UK has....if you are coming to avoid crime, anti-social behaviour, hoodies, binge drinking kids, drugs out of control with the youth and the global slump....stay in the UK because it is no better over here...honest.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life at the end of the day is what you make of it, if you are not willing to look forward and forget about all the doom and gloom your going to be in for a long sad ride and life will not be easy at all.

Remember you only get one shot at it so dont watse too much time thinking what if....

Tasmania has I agree some small problem but no where as near as to the level of crime rate etc that we have in the area of where we live in the UK.

Guest earlswood
Life at the end of the day is what you make of it, if you are not willing to look forward and forget about all the doom and gloom your going to be in for a long sad ride and life will not be easy at all.

Remember you only get one shot at it so dont watse too much time thinking what if....

Tasmania has I agree some small problem but no where as near as to the level of crime rate etc that we have in the area of where we live in the UK.

I agree, you can have a great life in Oz or in the UK...IT'S up to you....If I lived in a **** part of the UK I would move to the South Coast etc if possible....ditto Oz...but I am stuck here for a while then I am going to live with Jo and her family:spinny:

Sounds good can i come. I think it would be good fun. By the way I am stuck here for a while. As Lionel Richie said mr Earlswood "I'm stuck on, you there,s a fever down deep inside that I just can't hide, yes i'm on my way" .Sung in the key of L. Have fun, Butt.

Guest JoanneHattersley
joanne did you come from south ockendon in essex uk

I was in Danbury Cresent - Whys that? Can PM me if you want to chat!

Guest JoanneHattersley
but I am stuck here for a while then I am going to live with Jo and her family:spinny:

:shocked:Ok earlswood, All PIO girlies called Jo are sitting down. Which one of us are you coming to live with???????????????????????????

Guest Bromwich Family

Just wanted to say what a great thread this has been to read. We have been here in Melbourne now for 8 weeks and I am really struggling with the homesickness that has kicked in. You don't realise what you have actually done until things settle down and it feels like 'normal' life again.

What I have learnt is that I would def go back on a holiday before I decided to return to the UK for good. It is a very expensive holiday if it only lasts a few months.

Good Luck to all those about to start their adventure down under.

Sometimes the homesickness is also due to the fact that the area you are iving in does not live up to expectations, I think you need to live here and rent for a while before making a decision where to live permanently.

I see you live in Cranbourne East, well I am not a fan sorry just me I would be homesick if I lived in Cranbourne.

No offence horses for courses.:notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen
Sometimes the homesickness is also due to the fact that the area you are iving in does not live up to expectations, I think you need to live here and rent for a while before making a decision where to live permanently.

I see you live in Cranbourne East, well I am not a fan sorry just me I would be homesick if I lived in Cranbourne.

No offence horses for courses.:notworthy:

Sarah lives on a lovely estate and I don't think it is because she lives in Cranbourne!! Sometimes you just miss family, we found it hard when we first arrived and Christmas was terrible, 4 years on we are happy and have settled very well and wouldn't dream of going back to the UK.

I hope your not getting the flu Sarah it sounds like it:unsure:

I guess you mean the Hunt Club which the vandals love :twitcy: unfortunate name for the Estate I believe, my friend Australian married to pom built in Brooklands Green across the road and got homesick and moved to Langwarrin she hated it there , lovely house. Just not her thing either. She is waiting for her new house to be finished now.

Hiya Sarah ,i would imagine your feeling that way as reality is setting in now and the honeymoon period is wearing off,lol, have you got a webcam and MSN messenger or skype set up? i found these great in the first few months for keeping in touch with family and friends,on my wobbly days especially !

It does get better with time ,honest ,im living proof!!! I think its only normal for doubts to set in ,youve moved to the other side of the world ,english speaking or not everything is soo different.

You keep smiling through and youll get there ,if ever you do feel down come on here for a moan ,pm me with a winge or anyone else who understands ,we have all been in your shoes at some point and one things for sure no matter how lonely you feel ,,your never alone with all of us here for you!

Chin up and smile

Cal x

Guest daveintaiwan
You kidding...try talking to aussies working over here in bars etc...they love the UK and say it is so much better that the boring place they left behind...many I have met working in various bars would love to stay but have no chance once their working visa's run out.

That's when they're young, free and single...

Ask them where they think they will live when they get a career, married and a family?

I can guarantee you there will be only one answer...OZ!

Going back to the original thread and ALL those who have posted afterwards. (It's been quite a read!)...

Again the homesickness and depression rears its ugly head, and I empathise with all those who have posted. The thing to remember is that it is normal to go through these feelings, everyone goes through them to some extent and there are things you can do about it (check the links on this post about Culture Shock)

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/general-dilemmas/36330-word-warning.html#post256889

(Tim - is there somewhere we can make a sticky or add a list of resources and websites for Culture Shock?)

It is REALLY IMPORTANT to read all you can about culture shock BEFORE YOU GO and be prepared for it to happen so that you understand what you're going through and how to deal with it, otherwise you end up, as many people on here find, confused, frustrated, depressed, angry and wanting to go home. As B2B has very bravely shown, when you're feeling like this, you don't make the most objective decisions and you might regret the choices you do make later. I'm NOT saying that you shouldn't go home (living abroad is not for everyone), but you can't make a rational decision if you're not your normal self.

Lastly, I think it's been said before, but if you are feeling like a move home, then maybe a trip back is a cheaper option. If you're missing family and friends and all things English, go back and see them for a holiday. I did this after six months in my first country abroad (I was ready to pack it in!), and realised that, sure my parents were happy to see me and me them, but after a week, they were back in their familiar routine and I didn't really need to see them as much as I thought I did. My closest friends made time to see me, but others were too busy with their own lives, and their lives were all still the same, nothing had changed. It was July and it rained for one week of the two, it cost me a fortune to travel around the country and catch up with people and I remember getting back on the plane with a knowing smile on my face - I had renewed all the feelings that had made me move abroad in the first place. Back to the new and the adventure!

Now, my parents and I chat about once a month on Skype (generally we work on a 'no news is good news' basis!) and I barely make it back to the UK once every two years (one visit was disastrous as I thought it would be a nice idea to spend Christmas with my family - completely forgetting how depressing winter is with short days, miserable weather and most people looking and feeling down!).

Anyway, I hope all those who are having a rough time manage to see the silver lining on their dark clouds and can try and focus on that. With time the dark clouds get smaller...

Guest chellynel

Give it longer than 8 weeks !! Don't make a big mistake moving back too quickly ! All my friends have said it takes them 1-2 years to really "settle"...

You are just hitting reality check of after all the excitement/planning of the move etc....we have been here 7 weeks now & I am having bouts of homesickness but I know that this is a MUCH better place to bring up kids than the UK !!!

Give it more time than 8 weeks !!

Guest daveintaiwan
Give it longer than 8 weeks !! Don't make a big mistake moving back too quickly ! All my friends have said it takes them 1-2 years to really "settle"...

You are just hitting reality check of after all the excitement/planning of the move etc....we have been here 7 weeks now & I am having bouts of homesickness but I know that this is a MUCH better place to bring up kids than the UK !!!

Give it more time than 8 weeks !!

I know it's a lot to read, but if you do read all the posts, you'll find that she has already moved back to the UK and regretted it... A lesson for all to learn!

Guest Bromwich Family
I guess you mean the Hunt Club which the vandals love :twitcy: unfortunate name for the Estate I believe, my friend Australian married to pom built in Brooklands Green across the road and got homesick and moved to Langwarrin she hated it there , lovely house. Just not her thing either. She is waiting for her new house to be finished now.

Well it's agood job we are renting then isn't it!!! You don't find out what an area is like until you give it a try. I am sure there are lots of people who live here and are very happy. Not everyone can afford to live in the most beautiful areas and travelling to work is another issue.

Guest earlswood
Well it's agood job we are renting then isn't it!!! You don't find out what an area is like until you give it a try. I am sure there are lots of people who live here and are very happy. Not everyone can afford to live in the most beautiful areas and travelling to work is another issue.

That is a great point to be honest...both Countries have most of the crime etc etc in the poorer areas.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shkurka's

Good to hear you have settled in Cairns. I read all these messages and wonder if we are doing the right thing! My daughter lives in Cairns and we are waiting for visas! I do worry that it is a small place and I might get bored, I also wonder if I will find a job. My daughter is so positive but finds life difficult with out us.

We applied Sept 07 for a CPV

Guest bohlesover
Good to hear you have settled in Cairns. I read all these messages and wonder if we are doing the right thing! My daughter lives in Cairns and we are waiting for visas! I do worry that it is a small place and I might get bored' date=' I also wonder if I will find a job. My daughter is so positive but finds life difficult with out us.

We applied Sept 07 for a CPV[/quote']

Thanks for that, it is very hard to settle, and I have just had my first trip back to UK, not sure if it was the right thing to do, I have come back and feel very unsettled again! I have tried to find friends in these part but it is proving very hard, I am a very outgoing and sociable person, work is proving an even harder task! it seems for work that you did in UK is not recognised here, unless you have a certificate here....at a cost! so any poms in Cairns please look me up. My daughter has just arrived from UK she is 25 and already she wants out! it is not as easy as you might think trying to settle in another country, and I have now been here nearly 3 years....will it ever feel like home??

Guest taffy 62

Maybe you need to look at another state or area to move to in Oz.

When we first arrived we spent 18 months in mt gambier in south australia. It was awful so clicky, as everybody had lived there all their lives and knew everyone so it was hard to fit in and make friends.

So we moved to wodonga in victoria, that had an army base there so there were people coming and going all the time, this meant there were newcomers club etc you could join, plus it was a bigger place so employment was easier to find. It just meant there were more people in the same situation as yourself so they went out of their way to make friends.

I have moved to brisbane and find it hard to make friends here too, people come home from work and shut themselves away and you dont see your neighbours and we live in a complex of about 40 units!

so I am heading back to victoria as I find the people more friendly there.

Maybe a different area would work for you.:smile:

Thanks for that, it is very hard to settle, and I have just had my first trip back to UK, not sure if it was the right thing to do, I have come back and feel very unsettled again! I have tried to find friends in these part but it is proving very hard, I am a very outgoing and sociable person, work is proving an even harder task! it seems for work that you did in UK is not recognised here, unless you have a certificate here....at a cost! so any poms in Cairns please look me up. My daughter has just arrived from UK she is 25 and already she wants out! it is not as easy as you might think trying to settle in another country, and I have now been here nearly 3 years....will it ever feel like home??

How so spot on are you re the work, so many of us in the same boat !!!

stuju

Guest earlswood
That's when they're young, free and single...

Ask them where they think they will live when they get a career, married and a family?

I can guarantee you there will be only one answer...OZ!

Going back to the original thread and ALL those who have posted afterwards. (It's been quite a read!)...

Again the homesickness and depression rears its ugly head, and I empathise with all those who have posted. The thing to remember is that it is normal to go through these feelings, everyone goes through them to some extent and there are things you can do about it (check the links on this post about Culture Shock)

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/general-dilemmas/36330-word-warning.html#post256889

(Tim - is there somewhere we can make a sticky or add a list of resources and websites for Culture Shock?)

It is REALLY IMPORTANT to read all you can about culture shock BEFORE YOU GO and be prepared for it to happen so that you understand what you're going through and how to deal with it, otherwise you end up, as many people on here find, confused, frustrated, depressed, angry and wanting to go home. As B2B has very bravely shown, when you're feeling like this, you don't make the most objective decisions and you might regret the choices you do make later. I'm NOT saying that you shouldn't go home (living abroad is not for everyone), but you can't make a rational decision if you're not your normal self.

Lastly, I think it's been said before, but if you are feeling like a move home, then maybe a trip back is a cheaper option. If you're missing family and friends and all things English, go back and see them for a holiday. I did this after six months in my first country abroad (I was ready to pack it in!), and realised that, sure my parents were happy to see me and me them, but after a week, they were back in their familiar routine and I didn't really need to see them as much as I thought I did. My closest friends made time to see me, but others were too busy with their own lives, and their lives were all still the same, nothing had changed. It was July and it rained for one week of the two, it cost me a fortune to travel around the country and catch up with people and I remember getting back on the plane with a knowing smile on my face - I had renewed all the feelings that had made me move abroad in the first place. Back to the new and the adventure!

Now, my parents and I chat about once a month on Skype (generally we work on a 'no news is good news' basis!) and I barely make it back to the UK once every two years (one visit was disastrous as I thought it would be a nice idea to spend Christmas with my family - completely forgetting how depressing winter is with short days, miserable weather and most people looking and feeling down!).

Anyway, I hope all those who are having a rough time manage to see the silver lining on their dark clouds and can try and focus on that. With time the dark clouds get smaller...

No..plenty of aussies in London I have met working in bars who are living perpenant in the UK through marriage of parents... I love winter and especially xmas and I am never depressed at the weather in the UK as it does not stop me doing anything I want to do...never to hot and never to cold makes for a perfect climate IMO....you say short days in the winter in the UK being depressing, what about OZ when I go home from work in the dark summer or winter...how depressing is that:huh:

And for some the clouds get BIGGER not smaller belive me...horses for courses but IMO Oz does not compare to the UK in sooo many ways.

Guest moonraker1961

As I have mentioned in another thread,if you did'nt have any choice,if there was no such thing as immigration how would you feel then?Depressed for the rest of your days because you had to stay in the UK?I have been back in the UK for 10 years now.My kids are aussies.In the past I have spat the dummy and announced I am going back to Oz.My kids then remind me of the negatives (remember they are aussies and yes can remember most of what it was like in Oz),and the positives about staying in the UK and it soon brings me back down to earth lol

No..plenty of aussies in London I have met working in bars who are living perpenant in the UK through marriage of parents... I love winter and especially xmas and I am never depressed at the weather in the UK as it does not stop me doing anything I want to do...never to hot and never to cold makes for a perfect climate IMO....you say short days in the winter in the UK being depressing, what about OZ when I go home from work in the dark summer or winter...how depressing is that:huh:

And for some the clouds get BIGGER not smaller belive me...horses for courses but IMO Oz does not compare to the UK in sooo many ways.

The UK has perfect weather if you were born in the UK, For us Foriegners from warmer climes (Africa) it is a tad cool, but saying that, after a 30 degree day in summer I cannot understand why anyone would want to live anywhere else but the UK and 21:00 sunsets are just great.. The problem ist that you don't get to many 30 Degree days in the UK!! and there is still a winter, a part of the year that gets me looking around for someone elses wrists to slit :biglaugh:

Hi i'm new to PIO today...been in Brisbane for nearly 5 months and I absolutely agree with what B2B wrote after 8 weeks - in fact it could have been me that wrote it. I have committed myself to 12 months and feel that it is only fair to my husband and myself to review it after that time.....but oooohhh it is so hard and i know that if my lovely patient husband said OK that's enough i would be on the first plane back to Brum.

This is no doubt a beautiful country but i feel that some things aren't meant to be .....anyway we will see.

I also think that the Australians are hard nuts to crack - ... maybe thats just me!!!!!!!!

Anyway - if there are any other lonely POMS / BRUMMIES out there please respond and tell me its all going to be alright..... cus i cant see it at the moment....just feel sad all the time.

I wondered if there were any Pom Clubs, Brum Clubs etc in Brisbane - the City would be good and Eastern suburbs would be fantastic .

Looking forward............my husband keeps telling me the glass is half full.....but i keep drinkin!!!!!!!!:sad::unsure:

Hi Skippy59.

This is my first ever message on a forum, and your message promted me to reply to you.

I know EXACTLY how you feel! We have been in melbourne for 4 months and i'm thinking along the same lines as you and jumping on a plane back to good ol brum!

i'm trying SOOOOOOOO hard to give it all a go, but something just doesn't feel right. like you, me and my husband have decided to give it 12 months and see how we feel then, but as each day passes....maybe it might all seem better when summer starts!

So sorry to say, i can't tell you it's going to be all right, but it's good to hear a fellow brummie going through the same as me, NEVER in my life did i think i'd miss brum!!

I know what you mean, bout the glass bein half full, i just keep drinking the wine from it too!!...it's all quite distressing!

If there is any other fellow brummies in melbourne, i would LOVE to hear from you....in fact i'm desperate to hear from you!!!

Archived