Going back after only 8 weeks!!

Guest Bolton2Brisbane

Guest treesea
If I may be permitted to pick up on this comment, from what I understand treesea, like myself, you're now back in the UK, for the last 5 years I believe. I've been back about 6 months. You commented about how London had changed in your absence. Surely the point is that if you've been away from a country for so long, then you're not in the best position to judge anymore, some suburbs will no doubt have changed beyond recognition in the 5 years you have been away.

Development is going on all the time I no doubt if I went back now, there would be a big change from when I left.

You also mentioned Zone3 rail tickets - I believe Zone3 was abolished in early 2007 so there's only zones 1&2 now.

Also, as the population of Metropolitan Melbourne is around the 4million mark, I think it's safe to assume that not everyone works in the CBD, so transport to the CBD is not a factor for everyone. Indeed the state government earmarked Frankston, Dandenong, Broadmeadows, Box Hill, Footscray and Ringwood as suburban business hubs to provide job opportunities away from the CBD.

Surely the best thing is to let people decide for themselves where they want to live. As Nigel pointed out, nobody is disputing that the suburbs you mention are nice, however, for a lot of people, property in those areas is out of there price bracket.

Think of the idiom "One man's meat is another man's poison" and lets try and veer away from the "my suburb/city/state/country" (delete as applicable) is better than yours" type of argument.:idea:

Just because we both came back doesn't mean we are not up to date with how our previous home towns are doing. I've still got a fair few friends and family in Australia who make sure I stay up to date. It's interesting how the tone of those emails used to be : " I can't believe you would leave Melbourne for the dump/third world services/terrible weather etc etc that England has become..." Nowadays, they are more along the lines of how hard and expensive life is in Australia, with housing at the top of the list. And yes, from what I hear, the Eastern Freeway is still a car park going into the city each day, and getting worse.

My point about the cheaper suburbs, for those who don't work nearby, is that sure, you might get a better quality house for the same price, e.g. $550K in Narre Warren versus the same priced house somewhere like Ashburton, Box Hill or Chadstone, but if you have to work in the CBD, it's a lot more expensive and time consuming to get there from Narre Warren or Berwick than it would be from Ashburton and the like.

I've known people who have gone to Melbourne from here, bought in Lilydale, which, while it's a lovely place is still a 40km + hike from the city, and ended up working in Altona. Would you wish that drive onto anyone?

Anyway, we are all entitled to our opinions, and those of us who have lived in Australia offer them only as a word of caution to those who get sucked in to nice housing on the outskirts of a city only to find they have given themselves one hell of a commute and an isolated out of the way existence in doing so. I wonder how many people give up on Australia and come back to the UK because they have found themselves stuck in outer suburbia and felt isolated? They may have settled well if they had moved to a suburb that was a better match for them as people. Money isn't everything. Just because a house is relatively cheap doesn't make an area great to live in.

If I were an artist and could afford one of their $800,000 architect designed houses, I would have settled in Berwick like a shot. But not if I were facing a daily commute into the CBD everyday.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've known people who have gone to Melbourne from here, bought in Lilydale, which, while it's a lovely place is still a 40km + hike from the city, and ended up working in Altona. Would you wish that drive onto anyone?

Well that's what they get for choosing to live in the outer eastern suburbs and then getting a job in the western suburbs!! Can happen anywhere. It's like saying that London is no good because you got a house in Wimbledon and then a job in Watford.

Guest treesea
Yes, the city has expanded but so too the freeways! Traffic on the eastern or Monash freeways (can't comment on Eastlink as was opened after I left) is no worse than parts of the M25 in peak hour.

Also, you mentioned earlier the cost of transport, it is nowhere near as expensive as the UK!! Firstly, as another poster mentioned, Zone 3 was abolished early 2007 so there are only 2 zones in all of Melbourne, which is 3 times the size if London. It costs £2 for a one way journey on the tube, that's equivalent to about $4.50 or so. It costs me £12.80 to get to Waterloo from Woking, which is about an hour's drive out of London. That's somewhere in the region of $30!! To get a daily zone 1 & 2 (which could also take you from the city to somewhere equal to Woking) costs $10.80, or about £4!!

I guess then this depends on where you live in the UK. A daily ticket up here on Lothian Buses costs £3 for casual users and £1.25 a day for monthly ticket holders. As to the freeways, there would have to be roadworks on the M90 before you encountered rush hours anywhere near the typical Eastern Freeway ones, let alone the M25.

And comparing anywhere to the M25 is hardly a fair comparison. When we first came back, I got offered work in Slough, so was trying out the journey, down the M11 and onto the M25. It didn't look too bad - freeway all the way. Then the reality. The fast lane on the M25 kept running out. After years of driving in Australia, where usually the fast lane stays as just that, all the way to your destination, this was quite a shock. Having to keep pulling in to the left in that kind of traffic was scary. Oh well, I thought, it will be better on the way back. Not so. It was February. And shrouded in fog.

So sure, if a daily commute on the M25 was your reality in the UK, then most, and probably all, drives into work in Australia are going to be better.

Guest treesea
Well that's what they get for choosing to live in the outer eastern suburbs and then getting a job in the western suburbs!! Can happen anywhere. It's like saying that London is no good because you got a house in Wimbledon and then a job in Watford.

I never said Melbourne was no good to live - it's a great place to live, and probably one of the best cities in Australia. But just because you are used to a long commute in Britain, why inflict it upon yourself in Australia?

Just because we both came back doesn't mean we are not up to date with how our previous home towns are doing.

I quite agree, although I personally have trouble disseminating the news from the 539 suburbs within the Metropolitan Melbourne area, so I may not be quite as up to date.

from what I hear, the Eastern Freeway is still a car park going into the city each day, and getting worse.

I've never used the eastern freeway, so I can't comment on somewhere/thing I've never been to or used.

Commuters from Berwick / Narre Warren Cranbourne etc would presumably still use the Monash if they felt the need to drive into the city. I don't know the current traveling time but expect it will reduce once the duplication (extra lanes) are completed later this year.

For anyone working in the eastern suburbs, then I expect there traveling time will be greatly reduced since the construction of the eastlink freeway.

For commuters in the Mornington Pennisula area, then they can look forward to reduced commuting time to the city once the Frankston bypass is built, which will link the Eastlink at carrum downs to the Mornington Peninsula freeway at Mount Martha.

Of course, for the large percentage of the 4 million population of metropolitan Melbourne that don't work in the CBD, then this isn't an issue.

My point about the cheaper suburbs, for those who don't work nearby, is that sure, you might get a better quality house for the same price, e.g. $550K in Narre Warren versus the same priced house somewhere like Ashburton, Box Hill or Chadstone, but if you have to work in the CBD, it's a lot more expensive and time consuming to get there from Narre Warren or Berwick than it would be from Ashburton and the like.

But just because you are used to a long commute in Britain, why inflict it upon yourself in Australia?

I know you mentioned Cranbourne on an earlier post, so a just checked the Connex website. Just to put it into some context:

Travel at peak time (07:00 am) from Merinda Park, Cranbourne to Flinders St is 59minutes (61 mins from Berwick) and for a regular commuter who bought a monthly metcard the cost would be $8.45 return per day (based on a 5 day working week) which I personally don't think is bad. (Based on 7 days a week travel to the city then the cost comes down to $5.63 per day)

In all likely hood, bearing in mind that Oz is 20 times the size of the UK, then people will probably tolerate the 1 hour commute from Cranbourne or Berwick to the City.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Travel at peak time (07:00 am) to Flinders St is ...(61 mins from Berwick)

20 mins to punt road:smile:

Guest bluenose1969

hi dont come back its getting worse the place is crubeling down we are hopeing to come to brisbane asap just hang in there youll be better off there in the end its bloody cold and wet here and gas and elctric are still very much on the up as well as petrol 99p ltr give it a go a bit longer bluenose

Guest earlswood
hi dont come back its getting worse the place is crubeling down we are hopeing to come to brisbane asap just hang in there youll be better off there in the end its bloody cold and wet here and gas and elctric are still very much on the up as well as petrol 99p ltr give it a go a bit longer bluenose

Where you living :biglaugh: dont listen......the place is wonderful.... as long as you realise that you have to work at it no matter what Country you live in you will be OK.

Where you living :biglaugh: dont listen......the place is wonderful.... as long as you realise that you have to work at it no matter what Country you live in you will be OK.

Hmmmm, is that why you left Perth???

Sorry, mate....Just a snide dig:wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kate Edwards

I am sorry to read your Sad thread and I am sure every one has said the same to you but 8 weeks is not alot of time!? I have been here with my 2 boys and Dog 8 weeks today, my husband has been here 5 months. Every one told us at 7 - 8 weeks you start to feel bad, and we did - you have - it's when you have stopped rushing around getting everything sorted and suddenly think, well what now?! Have you made any friends?

My hubby has just started football on a thursday night with a group of lads, and will be the best thing he has done sice he got here - you don't feel quite so isolated. Bit different for me as I have 2 small boys so mix with people at school and at playgroup......... The grass is not always greener, but you need to give it time to grow!?

Hope yyou manage to stay and give Aus a chance to convert you.

Do you have skype etc? I miss my nephew and mum like crazy but we see each other and speak more now than we did in the UK and we lived in the same village!!!!!

Good luck what ever you decide.

K x

I think you are very courageous going back after 8 weeks. My mum and dad brought us here 21 years ago and after 7 weeks we nearly went home but they said no we will give it a year then my brother met someone so did I etc etc.....they ( I know ) wish they had gone with their instinct and I will be back in Uk as soon as kids are older......There no place like home and though I have grown to love australia england is and always will be home so though i AM VERY ENVIOUS YOU GO GIRL !!!

Oh dear are you in for a shock !!

Guest Kate Edwards

LOL Oh my god it is sooo old how could we have missed that!!!! Wonder where he is???!!!! Bolton or Brissy........

:laugh:

Guest JoanneHattersley
LOL Oh my god it is sooo old how could we have missed that!!!! Wonder where he is???!!!! Bolton or Brissy........

:laugh:

Bolton , been to brizzy and back to bolton.

Now going back to brizzy xx

Guest treesea

In all likely hood, bearing in mind that Oz is 20 times the size of the UK, then people will probably tolerate the 1 hour commute from Cranbourne or Berwick to the City.

You are probably right about what Melburnians see as a reasonable commute to work, especially if they go on the train. There is definitely a difference, I have noticed, in perception of distance and what's "a long way" here in Scotland compared to when we lived in Australia. Dunfermline, for example, is 16 miles from Edinburgh, so about the same as CBD Melbourne to Ringwood (25km). When we first came back, we never thought anywhere was far. We'd go down to England, and you would have to get as far as Moffat from Edinburgh to go the equivalent east-west distance crossing Melbourne (83km Deer Park to Pakenham, vs 51.2 miles Edinburgh to Moffat).

The people here would always say, wherever we went, "where have you come through from? Edinburgh? That's miles away". We went up to the dry ski field at Hillend once, all of 7 miles away from the inner city area where we live. And our neighbours said to us "Hillend? Do you realise it's on the other side of the A720 (the ring road)? It's miles away. It's going to take almost half an hour to get there."

Yet in Melbourne, I just saw "Melbourne", as one single expanse. I went to a gym at one stage which was down near St Kilda, when we lived in North Croydon. It was a 92km round trip. I never even thought about it as "far". We went into Queen Vic market a couple of times a week for fresh meat and fish plus the veggies and fruit twice a week, 37km each way. Even when we lived in Carlton we would go out and see friends in Berwick a couple of times a month. We never even noticed the drive.

Five years of being back though, and everywhere seems "far". Even Musselburgh (all of 6 miles/just under 10km away - so CBD to Balwyn), let alone Port Seton (another 10km or so from Musselburgh. We used to go up around Stirling a lot - and when you consider, in that direction, you have to go as far as Callendar to travel the equivalent distance to cross Melbourne - but now even Bo'ness, a mere 20 miles away, seems too far.

Guest Mark and Sharon

This is a post i didn` want to type but i think we`re in the same position as b2b. We`ve been here since jan16 09 and we`re not sure we`ve done the right thing.Kid`s have settled at school brillantly oh has a partime job but i don`t have anything and it`s driving me nut`s and the prospect`s of getting one don`t seem good.We really enjoy it in oz but are worried about that in 6/12month`s we`re still be in this postion and it would be to late to get our 13 year old back in his old school and we really don`t want to disturb his education even more than we have.If we get him back in his old school he could pick up where he left off and put this all down to experience, i think we`re be phoning his old school this week and hoping they say yes to him going back.

Guest Perth Princess
This is a post i didn` want to type but i think we`re in the same position as b2b. We`ve been here since jan16 09 and we`re not sure we`ve done the right thing.Kid`s have settled at school brillantly oh has a partime job but i don`t have anything and it`s driving me nut`s and the prospect`s of getting one don`t seem good.We really enjoy it in oz but are worried about that in 6/12month`s we`re still be in this postion and it would be to late to get our 13 year old back in his old school and we really don`t want to disturb his education even more than we have.If we get him back in his old school he could pick up where he left off and put this all down to experience, i think we`re be phoning his old school this week and hoping they say yes to him going back.

I want to go back but we can't afford it this year. It's all gone pear shaped for us too. I wish we had never come, but we did so now we just have to get on with it. I'm having problems with getting work too. I need to get a job to earn money so we can get home so stuck at the moment.:cry:

Guest Kate Edwards

Mark & Sharon - Read all the responses to this thread they all say don't do it!

Yopu have not been here long enough to get the correct feeling about it all and if Kids settled that is the main concern, well for me anyway! I know a few people that have only been here a few months and worried about work - are you willing to do anything? There are plenty of Jobs out there even working at Bunnings! and them guys always seem bloody happy......... If there is one thing people thinking of coming to Australia should know is that You need a lump of cash / or a job before you arrive!!!! And to be very very mentally focused it's tought - it really is but everyone that has been here year or more would not change it for the world - life changing experience is going to take a lot of time and commitment to settle. Have you joined any groups? Football? Gym? My hubby works in the city and has just started playing football where we live on the pennisula and he feels loads better for getting out and seeing like minded people. Try stick with it - something will turn up I am sure. Where abouts are you? K : )

Guest Kate Edwards
I want to go back but we can't afford it this year. It's all gone pear shaped for us too. I wish we had never come, but we did so now we just have to get on with it. I'm having problems with getting work too. I need to get a job to earn money so we can get home so stuck at the moment.:cry:

Perth Princess - have you thought about trying anopther area in Aus rather than heading back to very very dismal UK?:rolleyes: Before we arrived in Jan this year I heard that Perth was over sacturated with people , no jobs for them all or school places etc seems it may be true! My hubby travels 1-2 hrs into work each way but we have got a house where we wanted and we just had to compromise on something - and the travelling for the work was it! Chin up - old Blighty will probably be alot more dreary then you think you are now!! K x

Guest Perth Princess
Perth Princess - have you thought about trying anopther area in Aus rather than heading back to very very dismal UK?:rolleyes: Before we arrived in Jan this year I heard that Perth was over sacturated with people , no jobs for them all or school places etc seems it may be true! My hubby travels 1-2 hrs into work each way but we have got a house where we wanted and we just had to compromise on something - and the travelling for the work was it! Chin up - old Blighty will probably be alot more dreary then you think you are now!! K x

You are right, I can just about remember that dismal feeling in the UK. It's just when you are homesick you focus on your favourite bits I know. I'm thinking that we may even just need to try a different suburb in Perth but it's not so easy with kids. My daughter has told me she will not move schools again unless it's to go back to her old UK one. I worry about messing them around. I really don't know what we will do at the moment, so feeling very unhappy.

Guest earlswood

Kate it is not dismal in the UK....it is brilliant to be honest after 2 years in Perth...people know when it is not for them and moving will not change that, they may pretend it has made thing easier but when someone wants home the itch will never go away.

Archived