Which British shops are you missing this Christmas?

mygirlies

I miss Daniels. Such a great Christmas atmosphere! And of course... good old Argos!

Which British shops are you missing this Christmas?

You just can't beat late night shopping on a cold (snowy) evening at Christmas. All snuggles up. The lights, the carols and the atmosphere!

M&S - Particularly the Food Hall, just heaven!

Fortnum and Mason - not that I could afford to shop there that often, but for Christmas chocolates it's the biz.

John Lewis - Just for the window display alone! :smile:

None actually, have managed to get what I want in the shops here. British shops arent all that brilliant either.

It wasn't in reference to obtaining materialistic products. Its the spirit of Christmas that these shops bring and the atmosphere which remind us of happy memories. Nothing more to read into it. Wasn't 'bashing' Aussie shops. Merely a festive appreciation :)

If its a Xmas thing...then Boots, 3 for the price of 2 on Xmas pressies. Argos n Markies.

for Xmas atmosphere, then none, friggin hated Xmas shopping, Didnt find any of the shops that great to be in, too busy, and knowing that what you bought would be half price come Boxing Day, rip off!!

But....agree that shopping centres in the UK are good at Xmas, the fact that they actually do proper late night shopping for starters, to be fair though, shopping centres here could go all out trimming up, but us poms are never going to relate Xmas to 35 deg, which is what it was today, and I'm about to head out and make a start on my present list. All seems wrong though:confused: I should be at the beach catching some rays:cool:

I bought heaps at Boots Fifi. Also have awesome make up special offers. Have to agree am actually relishing the cold and it feels nice doing the shopping with the Christmas songs going...

I'm sure it is lovely...but would it still be as nice being cold after 3 months??

i hate shopping, but it feels different when your on holiday. I went daft in primark when I was back in April, but when I lived there, very seldom went in.

I don't like argos at all although I guess it brings back memories of rushing around on Xmas eve with my dad trying to get my mums presents. I don't find many high street names Christmasy. Maybe john lewis and marks and Spencer's. I went to John Lewis to get my pic with Monty the penguin from the advert :laugh:

Keswick had some lovely shops that would have been nice at Christmas. There was one old fashioned chocolate shop and they had all their Xmas stuff. Some of the other ones had lovely Christmas things in too. I think what made it nicer was that they were nearly all privately owned shops rather than big ones like argos etc

I don't like argos at all although I guess it brings back memories of rushing around on Xmas eve with my dad trying to get my mums presents. I don't find many high street names Christmasy. Maybe john lewis and marks and Spencer's. I went to John Lewis to get my pic with Monty the penguin from the advert :laugh:

Keswick had some lovely shops that would have been nice at Christmas. There was one old fashioned chocolate shop and they had all their Xmas stuff. Some of the other ones had lovely Christmas things in too. I think what made it nicer was that they were nearly all privately owned shops rather than big ones like argos etc

I agree, the big stores to me are a bit false. I too prefer the smaller shops, seems to be less where we are now, further SOR, but when we lived in Melville, there is a lovely all year round shop called Christmas presence...it's ace. Also some lovely independants in Applecross.

one day maybe...the rest of SOR will catch up:confused:

Hi all I was in West Quay, southampton late night shopping Tuesday with what seemed a million others and it was cold wet & windy outside, I'll be back in Melbourne next Thursday in the sun and ready for christmas, I think I know where I wanna be.......

I love Christmas shopping in Perth. You can usually find somewhere to park and in many places don't have to pay. You're not wrapped up and hen have to strip off as soon as you enter a shop because the shop is so over heated and carry your coat as well as the shopping or have to sit on overheated crowded trains. You don't have to stand in long queues to be served because there is not the high population density. There isn't the in your face, over the top advertising as Christmas Day is just one day in a long, sunny holiday for people. You can shop and then sit outside at a street cafe and watch the world go by. If you're in the city the kids can lay in the fountains and you can catch the outdoor Nativity play with real camels. Myers and David Jones meet most of my needs. Love the outdoor craft markets. Can't think of any shop in the UK I miss to buy things from that I can't buy in Perth somewhere.

Any positives about british shops or is this just another opportunity for you to whinge about the UK?

Btw Merry Xmas!:xmas21:

Can you please tell me where I have whinged about the UK, I do not class saying I dont miss the shops as whinging, I have never to my knowledge whinged on this site about the UK, but of course you will know since you are saying this is another opportunity to do so. Please in future just ignore my posts as you are only stirring. Is Bob1 also whinging about the UK as he doesnt miss any of the shops either?

Archived