UK winter weather update

bunbury61

just read an official met office report ...not related to all the bull.... you get from the daily express ....November , December , January are more likely to have above average temperatures .....not the coldest in 100 years as reported

November has been the third warmest on record , i have only had 4 morning frosts on the windscreen ... ....no snow ...no ice ...and the strange thing ,all year the air has been very still ...high winds have been very rare ....we shall see what the winter brings .

My response to your title was 'what winter weather?' - not winter yet though! I do hope we get some decent snow like last year :)

On the other hand my friend in Perth posted a picture of her glass table smashed by the force of rain (she thinks) and another of the damage lightening had caused to her house :(

My response to your title was 'what winter weather?' - not winter yet though! I do hope we get some decent snow like last year :)

On the other hand my friend in Perth posted a picture of her glass table smashed by the force of rain (she thinks) and another of the damage lightening had caused to her house :(

North Perth had big hailstones again I heard.

we have certainly had a great run havent we .......i couldnt believe that on the last day of october i played golf , the sun come out , and iwas playing with just one layer on top ...a polo shirt .

its got colder now , but nothing like i remember it ......the spring bulbs are making an appearance

North Perth had big hailstones again I heard.

They live Hammi Hill, unless they've moved in the past year! Hailstones seems more likely than rain though. It shattered into millions of pieces as safety glass does, they'll be finding it for years.

we have certainly had a great run havent we .......i couldnt believe that on the last day of october i played golf , the sun come out , and iwas playing with just one layer on top ...a polo shirt .

its got colder now , but nothing like i remember it ......the spring bulbs are making an appearance

I'd enjoy it if it wasn't for the fact we're all doomed! Apparently Kent makes better 'champagne' than Champagne now due to global warming!

just read an official met office report ...not related to all the bull.... you get from the daily express ....November , December , January are more likely to have above average temperatures .....not the coldest in 100 years as reported

November has been the third warmest on record , i have only had 4 morning frosts on the windscreen ... ....no snow ...no ice ...and the strange thing ,all year the air has been very still ...high winds have been very rare ....we shall see what the winter brings .

Sounds good to me, but I am a 'flat earther!' Even if climate change is a fact, the 'square-earthers' can't have it both ways, blaming both mega hot and mega cold weather on climate change. Did you see those ferocious storms in the US? Cars buried in snow?

Nobody had even thought of climate change when we had that Aussie-style summer back in 1976.

Guest Guest 47403
At one point I thought we were going to get a bad winter.. Just because we haven't had one in a while but I think it's going to be a mild wet one

Mild and wet have seemed to be the norm the last few years, preferred cold and crisp myself last winter was horrible constant rain in January did my head in.

Sounds good to me, but I am a 'flat earther!' Even if climate change is a fact, the 'square-earthers' can't have it both ways, blaming both mega hot and mega cold weather on climate change. Did you see those ferocious storms in the US? Cars buried in snow?

Nobody had even thought of climate change when we had that Aussie-style summer back in 1976.

Man made climate change means there will be more abnormal cold and hot events but I'm sure you know that and you're just leg puling eh Dave.......

I'm thinking of buying snow chains. That will probably mean we will never see snow again in the south east.

I remember snow in Hampshire and Berkshire, does that count?

Wasn't '64 a big winter down South?

Well since I was born in 1990 I wouldn't really know that.. I don't even know what the weather was like back then in Scotland. I just remember we had a really bad year when I was little, like proper blocked in by snow. Then 2010 was really bad. I'm sure 2009 was too because we lived in a different house and I remember the car being stuck there for almost a week

Lovely warm, sunny day today. Went to our daughter's school Xmas fair and with no wind at all people were out basking in the sunshine making the most of it as going to be grey and cold for the next few days. A real pick-me-up. Now if it can just stay dry will mow the lawn tomorrow for the final time before the spring.

Man made climate change means there will be more abnormal cold and hot events but I'm sure you know that and you're just leg puling eh Dave.......

But are they abnormally hot and cold events, or just normal weather patterns? Presumably the exceptionally cold winter which helped stop the German advance on Russia in 1941 was due to climate change, and the bitter winter in the UK in 1963, and the exceptionally hot summer in 1976 in the UK? Go back even further to when the River Thames froze enough to walk on? Normal winter, exceptional winter, or climate change?

But are they abnormally hot and cold events, or just normal weather patterns? Presumably the exceptionally cold winter which helped stop the German advance on Russia in 1941 was due to climate change, and the bitter winter in the UK in 1963, and the exceptionally hot summer in 1976 in the UK? Go back even further to when the River Thames froze enough to walk on? Normal winter, exceptional winter, or climate change?

The global climate has been much hotter and much colder than today throughout its history. At the moment the knicker-twisting is based on a few short decades' figures, which is a bit like measuring the last 10 seconds of the year and predicting next year's weather on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I never really found Dec a prob in the UK...yes it could be nasty, but everyone occupied with xmas n parties etc.

the really bleak times for me was from new year to the end of March. That was why we always had one of our major OS holidays then, just to escape the doom n gloom.

Archived