Have u taken a lower paid job and was it worth it?

mr luvpants

hi. We are looking to go out in 2010. My wife is a student nurse and qualifies at the end of the year. She will not have a problem getting a job I don't think!

I am a Fire fighter and although I will try and get a job over there, I may not in the Fire service and may have to settle for something else.

Has anyone on here immigrated and had to take a job with lower prospects and pay? More importantly was it worth it in their opinion.

John

Although hubby and I are in the same jobs as in the UK, if you compare $ to £ then we both took a drop in salary .... but the way we think is that we're earning $ and spend $ so no point in converting. We still enjoy a comfortable life style here, we are able to put some savings away each month. We're both in less senior positions and to be honest at the end of the day it's brilliant to just walk away and enjoy our 'home time' without thinking about covering someone else. We really feel the change of pace and lifestyle has been worth it

Ali

yep sorry but ive gotta agree with the browningfamily, and if i had known how things would be i would have stayed put in the uk - we were much better of in the uk and i cant wait till we can save to get back

gizmo

Teachers are underpaid in comparison to the UK but I was stil able to take a part-time contract knowing that although we'd have to be careful, we could still afford to live quite comfortably. OH is a postie and did accept a lower paid job but he loves it. He starts early but doesn't mind, he was an early riser back in the UK, and finishes early. He can go to the gym after work, go fishing or if we're going out for the night, he can have a nap.

We are happy with our lives and quite content knowing that although money does help, there is more to life!

Felicity:cute:

hi. We are looking to go out in 2010. My wife is a student nurse and qualifies at the end of the year. She will not have a problem getting a job I don't think!

I am a Fire fighter and although I will try and get a job over there, I may not in the Fire service and may have to settle for something else.

Has anyone on here immigrated and had to take a job with lower prospects and pay? More importantly was it worth it in their opinion.

John

Yes that is the main reason we come back. I was earning less than half, But it cost nothing to sit on the beach and play in the waves.

But I have met people who earn more than they did in the UK. It's down to you again as an individual.

John

Yes that is the main reason we come back. I was earning less than half, But it cost nothing to sit on the beach and play in the waves.

But I have met people who earn more than they did in the UK. It's down to you again as an individual.

John

hey John, ya back, where the bloody hell are ya ????

Hope you are gonna start a thread telling us all about your adventure back to pommie land

take care

catch ya later

gizmo x

hey John, ya back, where the bloody hell are ya ????

Hope you are gonna start a thread telling us all about your adventure back to pommie land

take care

catch ya later

gizmo x

I'm in Bangkok. Just enterd into a table tennis como this afternoon Playing Suzzie Wong in the first round.

See the Olympic tourch yesturday. Visited a few haunts from my back packing days.

This place is hot and a very exciting city.

Brekki now then off to buy loads of cheap crap maybe a suit as well.

Now be very careful with those scams

John X

I'm in Bangkok. Just enterd into a table tennis como this afternoon Playing Suzzie Wong in the first round.

See the Olympic tourch yesturday. Visited a few haunts from my back packing days.

This place is hot and a very exciting city.

Brekki now then off to buy loads of cheap crap maybe a suit as well.

Now be very careful with those scams

John X

:biglaugh:

Wow great fun, you have a good one & mind those ping pong balls

gizmo x

Guest Working to fish

Yeah, this is going to be the biggest factor of whether we can make a life in oz. I used to be self-employed back in England and our income meant we had a comfortable life. I am now earning around a third of what i earnt in UK. I'm a carpenter and joiner earning $23 an dollar on sunshine coast and this doesn't support a family of 4 as well as we would like it too, so if there's anyone out there who wants a carpenter and joiner as i'm looking for more money let me know.

yes theres more to life than money ,but it helps.

eddie:huh:

Yeah, this is going to be the biggest factor of whether we can make a life in oz. I used to be self-employed back in England and our income meant we had a comfortable life. I am now earning around a third of what i earnt in UK. I'm a carpenter and joiner earning $23 an dollar on sunshine coast and this doesn't support a family of 4 as well as we would like it too, so if there's anyone out there who wants a carpenter and joiner as i'm looking for more money let me know.

yes theres more to life than money ,but it helps.

eddie:huh:

Hi Eddie

See this advertised although dont know how much it pays :

37695?usetransparency=false

CARPENTER WANTED

Carpenter wanted for immediate start in established construction company based in Brisbane. Must have experience in large modern renovations, have own tools, insurances, be reliable and able to work well with others. Required for current job in the Coorparoo area, and ongoing work.Good rate of pay for the right applicant. Please forward your resume to
or phone Daniel Klinge on 0417 613 499 or fax to 07 38994317.

To be eligible to apply for this position you must have an appropriate Australian or New Zealand work visa.

unquote

You never know might be worth giving them a call !!

Good luck

This is one of the things people fail to account for when they emmigrate. When you go to a new country you are an unknown quantity, so you can't expect to walk into the same position you were in. After all you didn't start off with the same money as you ended up with in your home country. You have to expect to start a few steps back, work yourself back to where you were and then go forward. Just one of the costs of emmigration.

This is one of the things people fail to account for when they emmigrate. When you go to a new country you are an unknown quantity, so you can't expect to walk into the same position you were in. After all you didn't start off with the same money as you ended up with in your home country. You have to expect to start a few steps back, work yourself back to where you were and then go forward. Just one of the costs of emmigration.

Hi Ellie

I dont think that people fail to account for this, some people may be surprised but I do think that the majority of people are aware that it is not going to be easy and that is why they search forums such as these. You never know on these forums you may strike lucky as someone may know someone.

Some strike lucky and unfortunately some don't, same where ever in the world you go !!

Regards

Kdal thank you for that ,will send them an email.

eddie:wubclub:

No worries I just hope it's useful. Someone on here was looking for someone in Adelaide and they were paying 35bucks an hour, so the money must be there somewhere!!

Good luck x

Guest colin&miche

Hi,

this is tru for us, hubby has been offered a job , (457 visa) and his employer has sent hubby all the T & C on the job, they have different bands of pay e.g band 1, band 2 , band 3 etc etc now his new employer has said he will start him off on a band 3 which is mid range of wages band 1 is the lowest wage amount, band 3 works out to about the same as what hubby is on here in the u.k, but on talking more to his soon to be new employer he has said by what they have discussed on the phone he can tell my husband is more of a band 6 which is higher paid, but because he hasnt seen him at work yet he will start him off on band 3 for the 3 month probation period , and the adjust his wage band accordingly after the 3 mths is up, so he could be on par wages wise with what he earns here in the u.k to start with and then this go up after 3 mths which is ok as its what we are used to , or after 3 mths his wages will go up and we will be a little better off,

hope this helps ,

michell

Many thanks forall your replies.

But do you think the drop was worth what you have got in lifestyle?

I am trying to get a balanced veiw of everything. My wife will be qualified and will go to oz and earn roughly the same amount of money.However I know that I am not going to get what I want straight away.I can get an exchange with an oz firefighter and this will allow us to live and work in oz for a year but there is no chance of me staying on. It is purely for work experience.But it will allow us to have a good look around and see if it is for us. My wifes view is that if we are going to go, we are going to go! We WILL make a go of it and coming back is not an option. But i try and take all the variables in to consideration.I want to go but I dont want it to be financial suicide.

JOHN

I want to go but I dont want it to be financial suicide.

JOHN

Thats the trouble John, sometimes if you really want something you have to 'take a chance' life can be a gamble and no-one can tell you everything is going to be good, no matter how much they would want to. We are definately taking a chance on it.

Some people that have made the move to Australia have less income, but have found their life to be richer in other ways! As I say who knows 'who dares wins' :twitcy:

Guest TheBrowningFamily

I think we realise money is not everything!!!!!

It would help if Dave could earn enough for us to pay the rent etc though. We knew he would take a pay cut, and take several steps backwards.

We are using the interest off our money we made from our house sale to pay the rent, if we did not have that we would be totally screwed and would have to give up I think.

I console myself with the fact that as soon as we have a mortgage agreed & Daves electrical license comes thorugh (if they now decide he can work as a sparky over here-already turned down once...despite passing TRA to get in, but thats another story!) he will set up on his own.

Also once we have built the house our weekly rent will be replaced with a much smaller mortgage!!

I am trying to find work but totally impossible up here, with kids to fit around too.

It is worth it I think, but be careful with your research. When we researched jobs they were much higher paid than they actually are in this area!

I am trying to find work but totally impossible up here, with kids to fit around too.

It's really hard isn't it! I've applied for so many and got nowhere. Three kids all under school age makes it impossible I think; nothings open around the clock here, so little evening work going, and to put them all in kindy during the day would cost so much, I'd need to be on a really good wage!

Jo x

Guest Edinburger

Just do plenty of research on job sites to see what the pay is like in your line of work. Call up some recruitment consultants and ask their opinion on your perspective salary given your experience etc.

I got a 25% pay increase by coming over and so did my wife, so moving doesn't automatically mean you lose out!

Guest taffy 62

Its a hard one to answer, we just moved to brisbane as my husband had a job offer he couldnt refuse, but since coming here have realised the extra money hes earning will be eaten up by a mortgage as houses are expensive here. we didnt have a mortgage in our last place. So look at all the facts.

If we move back we will be on lesser wages, hopefully we can both find jobs again, but have a nicer home with no mortgage and be close to family and friends.

but if we stay in brisbane we will have more value in our propery which also would increase a lot more in value, so in our retirement we will be better off but we also need to be happy for the next 15 years.

Its a hard disision!:unsure:

Just do plenty of research on job sites to see what the pay is like in your line of work. Call up some recruitment consultants and ask their opinion on your perspective salary given your experience etc.

See, thats the problem. I have no skills. I have no trade. I was a prison officer for 4 years then have been a Firefighter fir the last 13. I am currently on an 3 year AAT accounting technician course which is my back up plan but I will go over there with no experience in the job. I quite fancy a career change into the Police but again they will not entertain an application unless you are a PR.I could validate and then use my brothers address I suppose but then that is a shed load of money gone again.

?????????????

But do you think the drop was worth what you have got in lifestyle?

JOHN

To us, yes! We love what we have now and I know it sounds mushy etc but me and my OH are even closer now. I thought we'd kill each other having to spend so much time in each other's company to begin with but nope, we're so close. My thread on eating fresh caught squid the other night sums it up - we're doing things that we only dreamt we could!

I agree with others, if you don't try, you really will never know. Do you want to be sitting in your arm chair when you're 60 something saying 'I wish I'd tried Australia when I had the chance'?

Felicity:cute:

I've taken a drop and OH is on similar wages, but don't regret it not one tiny bit as our lifestyle is so much better and our relationship has strengthened even more now as we've had to go through lots of things to get here and issues whilst we are here with OH's employer. Its all smoothed out now and we are happy in our jobs - no more being expected to work through lunch hours and after hours and not considered loyal to the company if you don't - work ethics are different here, ok its the same 9-5 Mon to Friday but weekends are spent outdoors instead of hiding indoors waiting for the two weeks of good weather that you get back in the UK. At least here when winter arrives you know you've got a guaranteed summer.

We actually spend less on shopping as no more temptation from shops like Tesco's, Asda's supermarkets just sell food no clothes or household stuff to tempt you. The pace is slower here and we love it and have no intention going back to the UK.

Sarah

Archived