Australia's Fly in Fly Out Workers

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The life of a FIFO worker is familiar to many Townsville families. But to many Australians, FIFO (fly-in, fly-out) miners are known as cashed-up workers on six-figure salaries.

We’ve heard stories about how tough conditions are and the pressures miners face in an unstable industry but that’s often brushed aside when we gape at their monthly income.

It’s an industry that provides jobs to about 100,000 workers in Australia and has offered enormous benefits to the economy.

FIFO workers admit they’ve been given opportunities they never dreamt could happen, like buying homes in their 20s, sending their kids to private schools and building up towards a comfortable retirement.

But at what cost?

A Western Australian parliamentary committee has launched an inquiry to examine a spate of suicides among FIFO workers in the Pilbara, with nine people in the space of 12 months taking their lives while living away from home.

Difficult rosters, long shifts of sometimes 20 hours a day, poor communications and time away from families have mounted the pressure on what are already taxing conditions.

Is the risk worth the reward?

A new ABC documentary series, Flying Miners, has opened the doors to the harsh realities and the costs FIFO workers have to pay to earn a living.

The three-part series, which launches on Tuesday, follows the stories of workers in Western Australia and Queensland, including two Townsville miners, grandfather Rob Dolan and father-of-one Nick Dametto.

Townsville is the FIFO capital of Queensland, second only to Perth as the biggest source of FIFO workers in Australia’s mining industry, with locals flying thousands of kilometres a year to work.

For the past 13 years Townsville copper miner Rob Dolan, 68, has woken up at 3.45am to squeeze in a swim before jumping on a bike and riding 4.5km to work on site.

The fixed plant trades assistant for Chinova Resources works eight days on and six days off at the Osborne Mine, south of Cloncurry. All up, Dolan has been in the mining industry for 30 years and earning just over $100,000 for the most part.

But Dolan, who once went hungry because he couldn’t afford to feed his children, has a reason for staying in the industry.

Dolan and his wife of 50 years, Erna, invested confidently in Storm Financial’s scheme, pouring most of their hard-earned money into a share portfolio managed by the company, which pledged to help set them up for life.

In 2009, Storm collapsed and its investors lost about $3 billion in sharemarket investments.

Dolan lost up to $700,000 in investments, savings and his entire superannuation.

Dolan said his job in the mines saved their home, and their lives.

“I was lucky I had a job, if I didn’t I would’ve been down the gurgler. Mining has been good to me and I think I’ve done pretty well for them too. I have always worked pretty hard and got the job done.”

Dolan started in Croydon as a stockman on stations in an old mining town where he was introduced to the industry.

As a man who once shot pigeons off the roof to feed his family while earning next to nothing in the post office, the money looked good.

He worked underground for five years in what felt like 50C conditions, but the hard worker is as tough as they come and “you just get used to it”.

He said the secret to surviving in the mines was “to have the right woman behind you”.

“A lot of people go out there and don’t last long because their wives and partners can’t handle being away from them for eight days. You have to have the right woman to handle it.”

He’s faced redundancy once and nearly again recently when up to 300 people were put off at the Osborne mine.

Besides one house and one car, the only thing Dolan says he has splurged on over the years is a 24ft caravan so he can live out his retirement dream in style.

“We don’t go mad with our money, we live comfortably. I just want to save enough for my super and build that up because we lost it all in the financial crisis.”

It’s a different story for Ingham-born copper miner Nick Dametto, 31, who bought his first house by 23, first car at 18 and now has two cars, two homes (and almost a third), a motorbike, ski boat and not a loan in sight for his cars or toys. He’s spent $150,000 in the past 12 months.

It’s a lifestyle known as the “golden handcuffs”, where the more you earn, the more you spend.

But Dametto, who was employed at Osborne Mine at the time of filming, experienced just how cruel the industry can be last week after being laid off from his $120,000-a-year job.

“There have been about 25 people in the last month who have lost their jobs. You don’t really know it is coming but people are being made redundant all the time so you are sort of expecting it. It is the nature of the industry. The Osborne mine will only be running until about June or July next year, so it was going to come eventually.”

The mechanical fitter is the first to admit he is in it for the money but has also paid the ultimate price. Dametto, who has a 13-year-old son, Deekin, and a fiancee, Lisa, has missed the last three Christmases, countless birthdays and spent New Year’s alone because of the mines.

“Some days when it is 50C on site and you are pulling apart a piece of machinery, you can’t see the end of the day and you think if it is all worth it. But then you fly home and enjoy the money you’ve made and overall, it is worth it, it is a trade-off. It is not for everybody, but if you can put up with it, it’s a good way to get ahead.’’

Dametto said life as a miner could be “depressing” but he believed the industry did all it could to combat mental health issues.

“On site, you have depressed people, you have people who are happy to be there and people who are not happy to be there and I don’t think any length of roster would change that. If you don’t want to be there, get on a plane, there is no one saying you can’t get on a plane or go home. You may lose your job if you do that but it is better than other consequences.”

Founder and director of FIFO Families Nicole Ashby leads an organisation which helps 15,000 miners and their families around Australia and guides them through their struggles.

With a probe into the mental health of miners under way, Ashby hoped it would bring more awareness and solutions.

“It (the number of suicides) seems quite high but nobody can really see what is happening out there. Hopefully soon we can gauge what is happening at industry level and implement solutions.’’

Townsville leader of FIFO Families, Sally Bloomfield, said the partners left at home learnt to become resilient.

Bloomfield looks after her marine engineer husband David’s three kids at home while he is away for 28 days at a time on a ship off the coast of WA.

“It is tough for us, but it is also tough for them, they feel helpless if they can’t do something and you have to manage by yourself.

“ But the key is to have open communication and stay positive.”

It is an industry with undisputed benefits and struggles and one many people, and countries, could not survive without.

Flying Miners, a three-part series, premieres on the ABC on Tuesday, October 14, at 8.30pm.

I is a life that isn't for everyone. People get lured by the money, but in many cases they are not thinking about it properly as the hourly rate is actually no better than what you get in the city, it just you work longer hours.

the suicide rate is something that needs more addressing. There have been 10 on site suicides this year to date in oz. There are no records of attempts.

The pay rates and rosters are also currently going in the wrong direction. I have a weeks contracting next week at a mine in northern WA. It is only labouring. I will be working in the desert lifting thousands of 50kg waste rock samples onto a ute to take to the tip. Hot, I have to wear a rubber mask and hard work. For $21 an hour.

It can be a very isolating life being a FIFO worker, added to it becomes very difficult for them to access any Mental health input from service, long hours and location being key factors. They're home infrequently too, and many when they do enter local services are then reluctant to take time off (even though we'd provide medical certificates) because of the money and the companies targets on productivity and not having any 'lost days' or 'days without accident'. There is also the thought that if I'm not doing it someone else will be and they'll lose their jobs.

They need an organisation like 'mates in construction' - which is helping to address suicide in the construction industry.

I work offshore FIFO and reckon that like above you can either do it or you can't, there is no middle ground. We have counselling services provided that any family member can call anonymously, or from ship.

We are a smaller team <70 people so keep an eye on one another.

It can be a very isolating life being a FIFO worker, added to it becomes very difficult for them to access any Mental health input from service, long hours and location being key factors. They're home infrequently too, and many when they do enter local services are then reluctant to take time off (even though we'd provide medical certificates) because of the money and the companies targets on productivity and not having any 'lost days' or 'days without accident'. There is also the thought that if I'm not doing it someone else will be and they'll lose their jobs.

They need an organisation like 'mates in construction' - which is helping to address suicide in the construction industry.

Reminds me of "The Dentist", circa 1965 Western Australia, Kimberlies...Was in DIDO in those days and I called up on the 2-way to the office for an appointment with the travelling "dentist" to Derby when he came from Port Hedland.

Appointment made for such and such date; duly booked a motel room for 2 nights, got to the hospital and no "dentist". The @#@%# decided to have a golf holiday and forgot to cancel appointments. Had to wait another day for the stores truck to get me back to camp.

Did DIDO off and on for 12 years. Apart from that incident, had a great time overall. (fortnight on, weekend off, up to 4 hours' drive each way)

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. The North West Shelf Project in Western Australia (Woodside Gas) was 3 months on 1 week off; that was in 1980/1

Apologies for waffling on...rtfm.gif

FIFO can be good for a lot of people. Personally never wanted to do it but I'm sure if I was struggling to get a job in Perth I would do it rather than sit at home doing nothing. I would carry on looking for another job though. Suits single, younger people I think but there may be married people who like it??

My son is 25 and works one week on one off, days nights. Earns decent money (more than me) and has had some fantastic holidays over the last couple of years. He hadn't been working for the company long and they gave him 3 months off to go travelling, some of it unpaid leave, but they were happy for him to go. He has a few friends doing FIFO and they all seem to have lots of time off, good holidays, usually going to music festivals. America seems a top destination.

He's thinking of saving up now for a place of his own.:yes: It's allowed him to do loads of things I could have only dreamed about at his age. I used to do plenty as I was a fitter at his age working for the coal board, didn't have anywhere near the same disposable income and time off he gets though.

Different for married people though. Easy to think they will just do it for a couple of years to get them over a hump in outgoings but I know so many say they will do it for a couple of years, wife gets used to the money, they get used to the time apart and their own space, hard to step back from it. A lot end up divorced.

As for suicides and blaming FIFO for that you would have to be in a desperate place to feel that low and not consider changing your job first. Compared to the armed forces FIFO would be a doddle.

There are already $18 guys. I only got $21 because I am normally a manager in a mine. We have junior level geologists (3 year experienced) doing it for $18.

That is not typical for FIFO salary though is it VS. The main reason people do it is because the money is good. What was your last position paying? My son gets almost as much as that for working at Dome.

Paul. My last oz salary wasn't that great. I made good money in my last role but that was in Africa and I was running the project and working up to a 7 week on 1 week off roster. I earned $193k for the year. My last oz gig was about $145k. But, although that was 8/6, I was on call 24/7 while on site and would normally have several days of work to do while on my 6 days off.

Salaries in in the mining industry have dropped dramatically in the last year - around 25% and rosters increasing.

Paul. My last oz salary wasn't that great. I made good money in my last role but that was in Africa and I was running the project and working up to a 7 week on 1 week off roster. I earned $193k for the year. My last oz gig was about $145k. But, although that was 8/6, I was on call 24/7 while on site and would normally have several days of work to do while on my 6 days off.

Salaries in in the mining industry have dropped dramatically in the last year - around 25% and rosters increasing.

Maybe you're just in the wrong profession VS? Although the salary you were on was pretty good, wouldn't fancy the swing though. Sparkies are on about $150K and most of my sons mates are working the same swing as him. I don't think there's been much drop in salaries in their profession.

A friend of mines son went from a job as a bank teller to driving a truck in the mines. He does a 3 and one swing I think but they are newly married, two houses, new child, so need the money. I saw his Dad last week and some of the guys he works with were told not to bother coming back for their swing. Luckily he wasn't one of them. I know it's pretty ruthless.

Cuts will likely be without mercy and to be frank we need a correction to repair some of the damage done by all sides of government, let alone the ineptness of the RBA in allowing runaway housing inflation for one thing, which will see a number burnt badly. Knock it down and start rebuilding a proper economy not built on housing and immigration numbers but real things that add value to the economy. Afraid we deserve what is likely to be around the corner.

There are already $18 guys. I only got $21 because I am normally a manager in a mine. We have junior level geologists (3 year experienced) doing it for $18.
Really? I get more working relief in a daycare centre.

Not all salaries have dropped, maybe what you were employed as but certainly not electricians.

Seems to be no rhyme or reason regarding salaries in Oz....but I've yet to meet a poor tradies ie sparkle, plumber etc.

my youngest daughter with no office experience is earning $20 an hour, she is 18, that's as a proper employed, ie sick pay , hols etc, when she was casual it was a fair bit more .

Reading what Fifo go thru, salaries don't seen that great,,...

Cuts will likely be without mercy and to be frank we need a correction to repair some of the damage done by all sides of government, let alone the ineptness of the RBA in allowing runaway housing inflation for one thing, which will see a number burnt badly. Knock it down and start rebuilding a proper economy not built on housing and immigration numbers but real things that add value to the economy. Afraid we deserve what is likely to be around the corner.

When you think of what those "real things" might be flag let everyone else know will you. I think every economy in the world is looking for them.

The building industry is bloody booming agan, Australia wide. I'm seeing a lot of fly in fly out workers coming back home getting into residential housing, specially electricians. Now construction going well again they can live back home and work.They can do the same hours at home now and make Great money. Everyone I know is having good pay increases this year. When your in demand , prices go up.Just have to open a paper to see. First home buyers are buying in good numbers again, investors going crazy , and seems to be more confidence with people upgrading houses now.Supply and demand. As long as all Australian cities have a drastic shortage of houses, house prices will continue to rise and construction will continue growing.Houses in brisbane are being sold before they are even advertised and going for more than the asking price. everything related to construction is doing well. I've come across loads of blokes come back from the mines doing fly in fly out work and jumped straight back into the industry here, can make $5000+ a week here doing 12 hour days, 6 days a week.i can stand fly in fly out work. Miss my freedom. Never understood why some friends do it when we could earn just as much here working hard.

I know of no one except trainees working in the mines for $21 .I do also no a lot of workers got pay cuts. $21 a hour is very odd though. They would lose their whole workforce at them prices in Australia. Everyone has a different story to tell though. Queensland mines still have work and 2 more mines are in the making. Thing with mining work is it isn't the greatest pay anyway, it's the hours that are put in by the workers the make the pay packet look decent.

How is the governments to blame , or the RBa. House prices will continue to rise, and over the years probably go up and down. It's all supply and demand. People are buying in great numbers, we can't build the houses quick enough. Cities are growing and their is a huge shortage of housing. Can you ever see house prices dropping much.How could they when there will never be a over supply of housing in cities while this country continues to grow. The housing market is going great. I'm building so many homes for first home buyers now and it's good to see.

Great attitude you got still flag, surprised your not burning the Aussie flag yet.

When you think of what those "real things" might be flag let everyone else know will you. I think every economy in the world is looking for them.

I don't have to think too hard. Things that add value as I have said before. Not holes in the ground and Ponzi housing. Australia has probably one of the hardest to fall, not experiencing the 08 GFC to any degree and little to show for the boom.

I don't have to think too hard. Things that add value as I have said before. Not holes in the ground and Ponzi housing. Australia has probably one of the hardest to fall, not experiencing the 08 GFC to any degree and little to show for the boom.

You replied but I didn't see a reference to any of those "real things" you were talking about. Holes in the ground I'm supposing is mining? What's more real than that? Real jobs, good money. Going to go on for a good few years yet.

How is the governments to blame , or the RBa. House prices will continue to rise, and over the years probably go up and down. It's all supply and demand. People are buying in great numbers, we can't build the houses quick enough. Cities are growing and their is a huge shortage of housing. Can you ever see house prices dropping much.How could they when there will never be a over supply of housing in cities while this country continues to grow. The housing market is going great. I'm building so many homes for first home buyers now and it's good to see.

Great attitude you got still flag, surprised your not burning the Aussie flag yet.

Doubtful, the question being when and to what degree the fall will be. It needs to fall and must fall. Being on the coal face it is hard for you to acknowledge or agree but housing is not working for most in Australia. It is in the hand of speculators (gamblers) not investors in the true sense. Fewer first home buyers than ever. Brisbane burbs any different then? Doubtful. Speaking the truth akin to burning the Aussie flag in your estimation is it?

Rather sad as saying how it is was at one time the respected response to the nonsense being fed by industry and RBA and government.

How is the government and RBA to blame to blame? Are you serious? The allowance of the property cycle to get out of reach of the average Australian for starters. Far fewer now buy to nest. Few can afford to buy in our cities apart from the very distant outer suburbs. And you think this will continue? Amazing. Head in the sand attitude by many and self interest by some afraid will not save the inflated housing market and to what extent the crisis will fully unfold but it is and will sure play havoc on society and economy.

You replied but I didn't see a reference to any of those "real things" you were talking about. Holes in the ground I'm supposing is mining? What's more real than that? Real jobs, good money. Going to go on for a good few years yet.

Sadly in many areas the decline is ever evident. I know your son has and his mate is.. but the reality is hard times ahead for an ever growing number of folk and consumption nor ever growing house prices will rescue. No easy solution but increasing the population by a million, every three or four years, while increasing competition will hardly rescue the economy.

The downturn of the biggest boom in recent history takes time to fully unwind. Any solutions yourself? Or in your view more of the same?

The building industry is bloody booming agan, Australia wide. I'm seeing a lot of fly in fly out workers coming back home getting into residential housing, specially electricians. Now construction going well again they can live back home and work.They can do the same hours at home now and make Great money. Everyone I know is having good pay increases this year. When your in demand , prices go up.Just have to open a paper to see. First home buyers are buying in good numbers again, investors going crazy , and seems to be more confidence with people upgrading houses now.Supply and demand. As long as all Australian cities have a drastic shortage of houses, house prices will continue to rise and construction will continue growing.Houses in brisbane are being sold before they are even advertised and going for more than the asking price. everything related to construction is doing well. I've come across loads of blokes come back from the mines doing fly in fly out work and jumped straight back into the industry here, can make $5000+ a week here doing 12 hour days, 6 days a week.i can stand fly in fly out work. Miss my freedom. Never understood why some friends do it when we could earn just as much here working hard.

I know of no one except trainees working in the mines for $21 .I do also no a lot of workers got pay cuts. $21 a hour is very odd though. They would lose their whole workforce at them prices in Australia. Everyone has a different story to tell though. Queensland mines still have work and 2 more mines are in the making. Thing with mining work is it isn't the greatest pay anyway, it's the hours that are put in by the workers the make the pay packet look decent.

Speculators keeping the Aussie market afloat generally. Overseas Chinese investment stepping up in QLD as Melbourne/Sydney markets become increasingly over inflated cities, even for that end of the market. It does seem policy of sorts may well be coming into play to slow down the over heated market in an attempt to reduce the growing bubble.

More imported trade labour from the region in time should assist tradies with more time off and less weighty pay packages to be concerned about.

The unemployment rate amongst mining professionals (e.g engineers, geologists etc) is currently double the national rate at over 12%. For geologists its nearer 20%. That's why VS is getting $21 an hour. Droves of geologists are leaving the industry altogether. Those who splurged during boom times now need any job they can get, particularly if they want to stay in the industry and have something on their CV.

I am fortunate working for a privately owned mining company - we haven't laid anyone off in fact recently hired more after opening a new mine.

My partner and I have both done FIFO at various times over the years. OH did 7 weeks on 2 weeks off for a while, I've done 2 weeks on, 2 off. So to us 8 days on 6 off would be a breeze although I'd get sick of the sight of airports! I think depression may come in when someone gets 'trapped' in a FIFO lifestyle and dig themselves into a big financial hole and then can't see a way out.

Archived