Post visit back to the UK update........

surfndirt

Hi All,

Thought I'd pen down my thoughts and experiences having returned from a pretty whirlwind visit back to the North (Lake District, Newcastle, Durham, Teesside) two weeks ago. Was going to meet up with Missus B but alas she was away....

Driving

Got one of those new Merc A class as my rental. LESS than half a tank of diesel from LHR to me Mam's in Wigton, Cumbria..... Unbelievable. Averaged 90mph on the motorway (except 50 zones, obviously) and 100% absolutely loved it. People moving over, people flashing to let you in etc etc. Mega. Loads of flashy cars and heaps more Landcrusiers than I thought (those people must be minted to run them in UK).

Pretty busy roads but found the quality very good pretty much everywhere.

People

Outside of London - great. Random conversations with people at the bar or the servo or where-ever!

Prices

Average of 3.30 quid a pint. (was drinking little creatures pale in Newcastle for 3.00 a bottle - yep, cheaper than Oz)

Diesel ~ 1.32 a litre

Coffee (expensive) 3.00 quid

Food ~ 10 quid a main at a run of the mill pub (in the lakes) 5 quid for a bag of fish n chips at Marshalls, Tynemouth

Countryside

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Man o man, I can't believe how much of a beaut the North is. Villages, village pubs - it is just stunning.

Newcastle

Few more trendy places now - heaps of micro brewery places too. Friendly faces and pretty girls - just how I remembered it. Was dead quiet for a Thursday night down the quayside though like.. Tynemouth has some dead set super cool little cafe's / bars now. Reminds me of Brunswick or somewhere..... Surf was crap though.

Overall impression - don't underestimate the power of your birth place roots. The north of England is a complete stunner and the people are ace........... End of story.

Great post, glad you had a good time.

!

Coffee now 3 quid? Wow I used to pay like 2 quid in london a couple years back.

Sounds like a good trip! Yeah it's funny when you see Aussie booze cheaper in the UK. Good that little creatures has made the move, great beer

Coffee now 3 quid? Wow I used to pay like 2 quid in london a couple years back.

Sounds like a good trip! Yeah it's funny when you see Aussie booze cheaper in the UK. Good that little creatures has made the move, great beer

Only place I pay £3 for a coffee is on the odd motorway services. I'm very miffed if it's more than £2.30 these days!

Good to hear you had a nice trip SnD! Those little A class are quite nice motors aren't they? The Aged parents have one.

Hi All,

Thought I'd pen down my thoughts and experiences having returned from a pretty whirlwind visit back to the North (Lake District, Newcastle, Durham, Teesside) two weeks ago. Was going to meet up with Missus B but alas she was away....

Driving

Got one of those new Merc A class as my rental. LESS than half a tank of diesel from LHR to me Mam's in Wigton, Cumbria..... Unbelievable. Averaged 90mph on the motorway (except 50 zones, obviously) and 100% absolutely loved it. People moving over, people flashing to let you in etc etc. Mega. Loads of flashy cars and heaps more Landcrusiers than I thought (those people must be minted to run them in UK).

People

Outside of London - great. Random conversations with people at the bar or the servo or where-ever!

Prices

Average of 3.30 quid a pint. (was drinking little creatures pale in Newcastle for 3.00 a bottle - yep, cheaper than Oz)

Diesel ~ 1.32 a litre

Food ~ 10 quid a main at a run of the mill pub (in the lakes) 5 quid for a bag of fish n chips at Marshalls, Tynemouth

Countryside

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Man o man, I can't believe how much of a beaut the North is. Villages, village pubs - it is just stunning.

Newcastle

Few more trendy places now - heaps of micro brewery places too. Friendly faces and pretty girls - just how I remembered it. Was dead quiet for a Thursday night down the quayside though like.. Tynemouth has some dead set super cool little cafe's / bars now. Reminds me of Brunswick or somewhere..... Surf was crap though.

Overall impression - don't underestimate the power of your birth place roots. The north of England is a complete stunner and the people are ace........... End of story.

You made me fill up! Roll on December.....

Glad I could be of assistance! Only downside was the flight; I wouldn't do the cheap Royal Brunei again. Nowt against the plane or service, just too many stops and too many arabs.

:) I always go Emirates because they take me straight to Newcastle!

Hi All,

Driving

People

Prices

Diesel ~ 1.32 a litre

Countryside

Newcastle

It's not my place of birth, but I completely agree. Gorgeous place and lovely people. Glad you had a good time!

I'm still here, fly back Tuesday & I hear what you are saying espesh driving!! Being back this time has cemented my decision that home is the place to be. Had a cracking latte with a homemade cheese scone under a fiver in dobbies i was with my mam getting plants lol)

Now I have to be honest I haven't had a decent coffee since I got back - the one I had in newcastle on Sunday was unbelievably bad - I swear it was instant. It was supposed to be a flat white and I was given a weak black coffee with a pot of milk on the side - £2.50!

Now I have to be honest I haven't had a decent coffee since I got back - the one I had in newcastle on Sunday was unbelievably bad - I swear it was instant. It was supposed to be a flat white and I was given a weak black coffee with a pot of milk on the side - £2.50!

Haha they must make some good margins on the newcastle flat whites!

I did hear it is over 3 quid for a flat white in Costa however

Are you planning a permanent return @surfndirt?

Hya Aunt,

Good question - see I love both places equally so that is a very hard question. Cos I came over here pretty young - 26, I am starting to have the opportunity to not be tied to one country TBH (that includes Texas, too) so I guess the answer would be no, not perm. Good few years maybe, but I am pretty confident that I will bounce between places for the rest of my life! Trick is to not get saddled with a 800k debt in any country - you are then free as a bird really :-)

Our Mam took us to a place in the Lakes and I had a flat white (was suprised to see it on the menu) which I swear was as good as a Melb cafe.... Honest. I even said to the lass and she commented that they get about 1x Aussie / Pom on holidays that say that a week. Funny

Hi All,

Driving

People

Prices

Diesel ~ 1.32 a litre

Countryside

Newcastle

Ow you know what I mean surf ..........right place in the uk with a few quid in your pocket like cumbnria or northumberland ..........it takes some beating .......its getting wet now ....but what a summer

Our Mam took us to a place in the Lakes and I had a flat white (was suprised to see it on the menu) which I swear was as good as a Melb cafe.... Honest. I even said to the lass and she commented that they get about 1x Aussie / Pom on holidays that say that a week. Funny

You should let @scottishstacey know which cafe, she's in the Lakes now and on the look out for an Aussie :)

Stop! You're making me yearn! I'm planning a visit back to home for next December so the saving has begun. We want to do so much including trips to New York & Scotland while where there so need to save loads. If we don't make it anywhere else I'll be more than happy to just be home :) It'll be my first time back in ages and by then it'll have been 4 and a half years since I've been home and I'm so excited already, I can't wait to have a Christmas in Wiltshire with my family! xxx

Archived