Looking for work in retail or hospitality.

Bernies88

Hi I've been in Melbourne for just over 6 weeks now.

I have been on seek, indeed and gumtree as well as a few others looking for work in retail or hospitality.

Ideally a little cafe or shop close to public transport. I'm living in Brunswick.

I have several years experience in both up to a supervisor level, however I am finding the minute they hear working holiday visa I'm seen as no good. I will be getting sponsored by family here within 12 months so I don't intend on leaving anytime soon.

If anyone has any advice or contacts I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

My cousin and her boyfriend have been in Melbourne 3 weeks. She has found a 6 month contract already paying double what she earned in the UK and her boyfriend is working in a post office doing casual work behind the counter in the city.

My cousin is degree qualified but he is not. She found her job through an agency and I think he found his by asking around shops in the city and handing over his CV.

My suggestion would be to have your CV professionally reviewed, and to be as proactive as possible both personally and professionally. And don't give up!

Edited by srh82
Typos

I would print off some CV's and take them around in person. Dress well, go in and ask for the manager and explain you are looking for work and you would like to give your cv for any positions.

I also though rough agree with Blossom. Are you sure you will be getting a sponsored visa? The family sponsored 489 requires you to have an occupation on the SOL.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Bernies 88'

Fab question, I feel I am having the same problem, although if I'm honest I haven't been trying all that hard, as I'm financially ok for a while.

But your responses have been most helpful.

Good luck with the job hunt, hopefully the fact it's Christmas soon, stores will hopefully be looking for Christmas temps!

happy hunting x