Average wages in QLD

LeeWilliams

Hi everyone,

been offered sponsorship by an employer here in QLD near Brisbane as an aircraft engineer. But the pay he's offering seems a bit low? $58885pa - is this an average pay for Qld?

i hold an UK licence for my profession but not licenced here yet. After I get my Aussie licence my pay gets review and bumped up to about $65000 which is still only £1000 more than what I was getting in the UK. My only real concern is my family and If I'll be able to provide for them.

What is considered the average pay for Qld on the Gold Coast? Would we realistically be able to survive on $58885/65000?

are there any other aircraft engineers out there who would be able give some input? I have almost 7 years in my field with a B1.2 licence.

Thanks

lee

Don't know anything much about your profession but considering how much work my missus put in training to be an aircraft engineering mechanic (Fleet Air Arm) equating to her now profession of nursing, (90k pa) I would say that what you are being offered is cr@p and no, without another income, you'd struggle, especially on the Gold Coast, sorry.

I am not someone who thinks you need 120,000+ just to survive in Brisbane (which I have read on here and heard in real life numerous times) but the figures you are talking about would be a real struggle. We worked out around 80.000 would be the minimum for a family of four and maintain a reasonable lifestyle (not extravagant but the odd take away, camping weekend away and meal out with friends).

You mention sponsorship which makes me think you are talking about a 457 which means no entitlement to child benefits etc so no help on top.

I think that would be difficult and even if your other half got a job there is no childcare rebate/benefit on a 457.

I wouldn't move a family on those wages.

I live in Brisbane, been here for several years now. I'd say that 58-59,000 will see you struggling a whole lot with a family. On a 457 it could be even harder as there are certain things you are not entitled to. In the UK there are things like child benefit and rental assistance, tax credits - you'll get none of that here. Take the 2.2 division advice given above, and use that as a good comparison to a UK wage, but factor in that cost of living is pretty high here.

Why does everybody think things are more expensive here? Maybe costs are a little higher but I'm not sure 2.2 or 2.5 is a realistic ratio at the moment with a strong $. We moved from Kent and things there are expensive there, housing is about the same if not a little cheaper comparing rentals (many hidden costs included in Aus where not in UK ie council tax). Rate of taxation is cheaper in AU, fuel cheaper, food a bit more but supermarkets about to go into price war (bread can now be bought for $0.80 for a full loaf). I don't know about kids costs although if your considering private schools then I guess it may become expensive.

From what we have found fresh food is not expensive, processed food expensive, going out expensive but good value, travel cheap and housing about the same as SE UK.

Based on my experience thus far only and regardless of the above, I would only make the move for a significant improvement in your working conditions and wages as there are significant costs attached to the move.

S

Why does everybody think things are more expensive here?

I hope you've got your asbestos undies on...

But back to the title of the thread. What is the average income in Qld. Because, regardless of what people think, it must be possible to survive on this. "Most" people do. Obviously, you have to consider the whole income including any benefits that lower earners might receive. And you have to consider that perhaps most households have more than one breadwinner.

You also make a very valid point about moving and setup costs. It's one thing to calculate what wage you need just to tick along. It's quite another when you're going to be faced with a whole list of things that will need to be financed up front.

FWIW, I don't think 65k for a standard 9 to 5 job (if indeed that is what it is) is significantly low. Depends on your trade qualis and experience, clearly, but what do other mechanics earn? What kind of wage were you expecting?

Why does everybody think things are more expensive here? Maybe costs are a little higher but I'm not sure 2.2 or 2.5 is a realistic ratio at the moment with a strong $. We moved from Kent and things there are expensive there, housing is about the same if not a little cheaper comparing rentals (many hidden costs included in Aus where not in UK ie council tax). Rate of taxation is cheaper in AU, fuel cheaper, food a bit more but supermarkets about to go into price war (bread can now be bought for $0.80 for a full loaf). I don't know about kids costs although if your considering private schools then I guess it may become expensive.

From what we have found fresh food is not expensive, processed food expensive, going out expensive but good value, travel cheap and housing about the same as SE UK.

Based on my experience thus far only and regardless of the above, I would only make the move for a significant improvement in your working conditions and wages as there are significant costs attached to the move.

S

Yeah I don't find it that different to the south of England. I actually think things are cheaper when you factor in wages.

The pound has been so weak for a few years that it makes spending money in another country very expensive compared to previously. I bet nobody thought oz was expensive when it was 2.5 dollars to a pound. Now it is about 1.8, that doesn't mean Aussie prices have changed, it just means the pound buys you less dollars

Hi everyone,

been offered sponsorship by an employer here in QLD near Brisbane as an aircraft engineer. But the pay he's offering seems a bit low? $58885pa - is this an average pay for Qld?

i hold an UK licence for my profession but not licenced here yet. After I get my Aussie licence my pay gets review and bumped up to about $65000 which is still only £1000 more than what I was getting in the UK. My only real concern is my family and If I'll be able to provide for them.

What is considered the average pay for Qld on the Gold Coast? Would we realistically be able to survive on $58885/65000?

are there any other aircraft engineers out there who would be able give some input? I have almost 7 years in my field with a B1.2 licence.

Thanks

lee

What visa are you coming on?

If a temp 457 you would not be entitled to any family assistance.

You might have to Pay school fees ( a large expense )

If on a Pr visa these things would not apply

Is this wage inclusive of Super a question to ask your employer.

How many children do you have that will impact on the wage being survivable.

It's an OK wage for a single youngster in share accommodation. I am one of those people who think you need $120k plus to live as a family in Brisbane. I live near the city though and a half decent rental (3 bedder) will set you back $500 at least a week. Shop at markets for veg and ALDI for food. We did try and survive on hubby's wage of $80k for a while and that wasn't fun. But people can and do get by on less, particularly if they own property outright.

I hope you've got your asbestos undies on...

But back to the title of the thread. What is the average income in Qld. Because, regardless of what people think, it must be possible to survive on this. "Most" people do. Obviously, you have to consider the whole income including any benefits that lower earners might receive. And you have to consider that perhaps most households have more than one breadwinner.

It is possible but remember that a lot of those people bought real estate before the boom and are probably paying 50% or less on a mortgage than a new migrant would.

I think on those wages, as a new migrant, you might end up renting in an area or property that wouldn't necessarily be that great.

With respect SRG you haven't been in Australia for even two weeks, the honeymoon has barely begun. Wait until you've been here a year or so, when you're fully in the mechanism of the place, ie working, paying bills all the normal day to day things.

Houses in Australia, Queensland in particular should in reality be about a quarter of the cost of a UK equivalent, the build quality is appalling "thrown up" would be a phrase I would use, most would be lucky to last twenty years.

We often hear about petrol being cheaper here than in the UK, granted it is but not significantly so anymore. Most of the saving on fuel is counteracted by the cost of vehicles. My daughter recently bought her first car a year 2000 Astra, reasonably clean nothing special, $5000. $5000 for a fourteen year old car. In the UK recently, I saw cars half that age for £500-£700. Road tax or rego as it's known is also very expensive.

Incidentally the dollar isn't so strong anymore a pound was buying $1.72 at the beginning of September now it will get you $1.85.

Houses in Australia, Queensland in particular should in reality be about a quarter of the cost of a UK equivalent,

Well, if you go out of SEQ, they are much cheaper.

But you've highlighted the conundrum. How can you have an economy where wages are high but the cost of living is simultaneously low? The answer is, you can't, not sustainably. High wage growth (amongst other factors)has driven house prices. A strong dollar has kept imported fuel prices low. Eventually, these things will correct themselves. But right now we'll have low wage growth (without correspondingly falling house prices) and a weakening dollar which will push the price of fuel up. The headache after the party, if you will. The difference to a real hangover is that it might not be the same people who did the partying to who gets the headache. How fair is that?

I guess the OP needs to assess two things; is he being offered the going rate for the job, and can he live on the going rate.

Why should australian houses be less than a quarter of the UK? You aren't just buying a building structure, you are buying the value of the plot of land. Land in inner Brisbane will cost more than outer for obvious reasons. Should London houses be cheaper than in Milton Keynes because mk houses are better insulated?

Why should australian houses be less than a quarter of the UK? You aren't just buying a building structure, you are buying the value of the plot of land. Land in inner Brisbane will cost more than outer for obvious reasons. Should London houses be cheaper than in Milton Keynes because mk houses are better insulated?

Sorry mate you'll have to help me here, not quite sure what you're saying.

Hi everyone sorry for the late response, was busy with family in Brisbane yesterday.

came to oz in August on a holiday visa to visit family and on the side see how the job market was. Met an employer through LinkedIn and instantly was interested in sponsoring me in on a 457 visa. I have been told already that we won't be entitled to child benefits, we have one, which is about $7000pa I believe? I was doing contract work in the uk before coming here and was on £34000 which is about $62000. The employer here is actually offering me less to start with because I don't have an Aussie licence yet which is $58885 and once licensed it will go up to $65000. Which like I said will only be about £1000 more than what I was earning.

Doing the 2.2x £34000 to $78000. Is this what I should be looking for?

Not being pedantic but not quite true. When you purchase a property you purchase the structure and the rights to reside on the land, make use of the air space and right to the sub strata. Height and depths are limited however I can't recall to what height/depth. It is on this principle that compulsory purchase works as ultimately all land belongs to the crown who can demand it back and compensate you for your loss of enjoyment.

Regarding other reactions to my comment, yes I admit I have only been here a short time and I have yet to pay some bills. We have not over extended ourselves, bought a car (50% on credit to establish a credit record), rented a property for $500 a week which is only circa $50 more than our current income from our UK house and earning from my new job are good. I feel very lucky and hopefully will have sufficient disposable income to make the whole venture a success and have time to enjoy our new environment.

The basis of the above, we have no children, live a simple life with a few treats thrown in, work hard and tend not to run credit. It is very hard to make judgements for other people as for instance my brother and is girlfriend lived a great life in Australia on circa $60,000, simple but rewarding.

S

Doing the 2.2x £34000 to $78000. Is this what I should be looking for?

I would say not. I mean, if you go to an employer with such a request they'll laugh you out of the room. If the PomsInOz forum thinks you're worth that much let them employ you.

What you need are real life wages from a comparable job in Brisbane. Your potential colleagues would be the best start, but it might be difficult getting reliable info from them. Whilst the "multiply by 2.2" gives you a ballpark figure, it really is just a hyper-general rule of thumb. It's nothing to enter into a salary negotiation with, IMHO.

As I wrote before, you need to separate the two things; are they paying you fair, and can you live on the wage.

If they offered you 78k tomorrow, would that be enough? You're already in the country so you must have a feel for costs.

I would say not. I mean, if you go to an employer with such a request they'll laugh you out of the room. If the PomsInOz forum thinks you're worth that much let them employ you.

What you need are real life wages from a comparable job in Brisbane. Your potential colleagues would be the best start, but it might be difficult getting reliable info from them. Whilst the "multiply by 2.2" gives you a ballpark figure, it really is just a hyper-general rule of thumb. It's nothing to enter into a salary negotiation with, IMHO.

As I wrote before, you need to separate the two things; are they paying you fair, and can you live on the wage.

If they offered you 78k tomorrow, would that be enough? You're already in the country so you must have a feel for costs.

From the oz websites it seems to be the low end of the average wage for my profession. So I guess I can't be too bad. Just wanted to gauge other peoples thoughts on salaries and cost of living here.

so far all we've been paying for is groceries. Which, in comparison to the Falklands where we've travelled from, it's a been cheaper. Especially fresh produce.

What bills doyou generally have to pay here? Council tax? Gas? Water? Electricity? Any rough idea how much this cost a month or where abouts we can find out this info. We've actually got our eyes on a property in pipama for $390 a week.

From the oz websites it seems to be the low end of the average wage for my profession. So I guess I can't be too bad. Just wanted to gauge other peoples thoughts on salaries and cost of living here.

so far all we've been paying for is groceries. Which, in comparison to the Falklands where we've travelled from, it's a been cheaper. Especially fresh produce.

What bills doyou generally have to pay here? Council tax? Gas? Water? Electricity? Any rough idea how much this cost a month or where abouts we can find out this info. We've actually got our eyes on a property in pipama for $390 a week.

59k a year comes to around $900 a week, less if that number includes super. $390 in rent + utilities will eat half of that. You will need at least one car, public transport isnt really an option down the coast if you have family. Deduct school fees, food etc. and you will have very little left. You will be able to survive but honestly you will be scraping for every dollar in my opinion.

If you are the sole breadwinner, the salary you are quoting is too low to live on.

Addto that, commuting from Pimpana to the airport you will be hit with a bridge toll each way every day..otherwise you will be driving via the city to avoid the toll - not great!

You will need a second income in my opinion...

Archived