UK passport

paulimouse

Hi all, I have just received a new British passport for my daughter. I requested that her previous passport be sent back to me as it has her visa in it. It was not sent back. So will she have a problem coming back into Australia when we go on a holiday? Thanks

She would indeed have a problem unless you connect the visa to the new passport. Australian immigration doesn't know your daughter got a new passport, so you need to tell them.

Good to have read this because I thought with our visa being electronically granted via Email I didn't think it mattered what is in the passport? because they should have you visa details on their national systems framework?

So I'm guessing when we land in Oz we will be issued a paper visa to attach to our passports?

Good to have read this because I thought with our visa being electronically granted via Email I didn't think it mattered what is in the passport? because they should have you visa details on their national systems framework?

So I'm guessing when we land in Oz we will be issued a paper visa to attach to our passports?

No its electronic now. If you want a visa sticker you have to send it to Australia House.

No you won't. Visas are electronic and in the computer system.

Inform Aus immigration of the new passport info so they can link the new passport to her visa. There is a form for it. Read more here

http://www.immi.gov.au/faqs/Pages/if-i-lose-my-passport-or-get-a-new-passport-would-i-need-to-pay-to-get-a-new-label-in-my-replacement-passport.aspx

You would think they would transfer the visa details automatically, as the new passport replaces the old passport.

You would think they would transfer the visa details automatically, as the new passport replaces the old passport.

They wouldn't know, the new (and old) passport would be issued by the UK. Australia would (and should not) have any knowledge of the new passport unless they were told by the holder.

How would they even know the new passport had been applied for or what its number was? Its up to the passport holder to inform and then they can link the visa to it.

My partner had a new UK passport issued in 2012 and we did not inform Australian immigration of new passport no. We have travelled since and he had no trouble getting back into Australia. He did however have a resident return visa in the new passport so perhaps that's why he had no issue. I would inform them just to be sure.

My partner had a new UK passport issued in 2012 and we did not inform Australian immigration of new passport no. We have travelled since and he had no trouble getting back into Australia. He did however have a resident return visa in the new passport so perhaps that's why he had no issue. I would inform them just to be sure.

Well yes that is exactly why he did not have an issue, his visa is now the RRV and it is connected to the right passport..

All passport and visa details are stored electronically now (e-Passport). The new passport will automatically be linked to the Visa.

Yes the visa is stored electronically, but Australia does not know when other countries issue new passports and accordingly the new passport certainly will not be automatically linked to the visa.

Your visa is electronic, but it is still linked to a foreign (to Australia) passport.

Australia does not track passport applications of foreign nationals, so it does not know when you change your passport and accordingly the visa is not transferred across all by itself when you get a new passport. You need to tell Australia immigration when you get a new passport so that they can electronically link the visa to the new passport. Getting it on paper is not what this is about (although personally, I prefer to get the visa label as well).

Archived