Is the 'Pacific Solution' unravelling?

Harpodom

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Amelie
Why did Triggs only decide to investigate the detention camps after Abbott came to power when those camps had existed for six years already?

Ahh, that answers one of my questions on the conditions of the PNG camps under Labour….

In Harpoworld Murdoch papers and 2GB would be shut down whilst Fairfax and the ABC would be given free rein to say and print what they like.

I would prefer to have both sides in publication and both apologising when they get it wrong.

Joe Hockey has a defamation case against the Sydney Morning Herald pending at the moment. I've no idea if he will win or lose, but I know that if he loses, Harpo will trumpet about it, and if the Sydney Morning Herald loses, silence,

Yep. It seems the MO of the Fairfax press is to do maximal 'damage' regardless of facts, then when found out, retract the headline and hope that the $hit sticks.

Strange that Fairfax went so aggressively.

We see this pattern across the Fairfax press. Anybody would think Fairfax and the govt were one and the same! Strange, innit?

Note this report below is from the ABC not Murdoch.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Broadcast: 25/09/2014

Reporter: Jason Om

Fairfax Media has apologised to a young man whose photo was published and wrongfully identified as Numan Haider on the front page of The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Canberra Times.

[h=2]Transcript[/h] STEVE CANNANE, PRESENTER: An innocent young man wrongly identified as Abdul Numan Haider says he can't leave his house because he fears being branded a terrorist.

Fairfax Media has apologised after it mistakenly published the man's photo on the front page of three major daily newspapers.

The victim in this case of mistaken identity spoke tonight to Lateline's Jason Om.

JASON OM, REPORTER: The headlines screamed "Teenage Terrorist" and "Teen Jihad", but they couldn't be more wrong about this man, who's now in hiding.

ABU BAKAR ALAM, STUDENT: I can't go out and I'm scared and terrified.

JASON OM: 18-year-old Abu Bakar Alam fears being mistaken for a terrorist after his photo ran on the front pages of the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age in Melbourne, and The Canberra Times.

ABU BAKAR ALAM: I know that people are going to recognise me and they might harm me and my family.

JASON OM: Abu Bakar Alam has never uploaded the engagement party photo and says he doesn't know how Fairfax Media obtained it.

ABU BAKAR ALAM: The apology doesn't - it's not going to get that reputation that we had within the community. We've had a good one. We haven't had a bad name.

JASON OM: The Alam's lost a family member to a suicide bomber in Afghanistan and in 2007 were given safe haven under Australia's humanitarian program.

They're again fearful for their safety, this time in the suburbs of Melbourne.

SHER ALAM, FATHER: It's very shocking for me and me children, like, they're scared and even my younger children, still they were crying and they said, "Dad, where we go now? Where we going to find a safe place in the world?"

ABU BAKAR ALAM: We came here to live - have a happy life, not being - not live in a country where we can't live freely, have the freedom to express ourselves.

JASON OM: Abu Bakar Alam is about to graduate from high school and worries about how this terrible mistake will affect his future.

ABU BAKAR ALAM: I think it's affecting enormously my future. Yeah ... (sighs).

JASON OM: Fairfax Media has apologised online.

FAIRFAX MEDIA (female voiceover): "The young man in a suit was not Mr Haider and we unreservedly apologise to him for the error. The young man has no connection whatsoever with any extremist or terrorist group and we deeply regret any such inference arising from the publication of the photograph. The picture has been withdrawn from circulation."

JASON OM: Fairfax Media has told the ABC that it's investigating the mistake, but did not respond to questions tonight about how the photo was approved.

The family is considering legal action.

Jason Om, Lateline

I hope he got enough to retire on, but i doubt it andBolt willl just go on and do it again because Murdoch continues to make money off his lies, there needs to be the threat of prison for these bully boys in order to stop it.

Exactly the same happens with Fairfax, the ABC, and other news outlets. Why pick on Murdoch?

Exactly the same happens with Fairfax, the ABC, and other news outlets. Why pick on Murdoch?

Because it is a deliberate business policy of the right wing press, and especially of Murdoch to simply vilify and persecute people on the basis of innuendo and prejudice, the likes of Bolt do it because of his own prejudices and dislike of people with liberal thinking, it is not about an error but a deliberate policy bolstered by massive resources.

Rebekah Brooks is now reaping her reward for taking the heat for Rupert, she is about to be relocated to a new life and job in New York, tell me that isn't a nice little pay off for 15 years of doing Ruperts dirty work.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Because it is a deliberate business policy of the right wing press, and especially of Murdoch to simply vilify and persecute people on the basis of innuendo and prejudice, the likes of Bolt do it because of his own prejudices and dislike of people with liberal thinking, it is not about an error but a deliberate policy bolstered by massive resources.

Rebekah Brooks is now reaping her reward for taking the heat for Rupert, she is about to be relocated to a new life and job in New York, tell me that isn't a nice little pay off for 15 years of doing Ruperts dirty work.

So when other newspapers and media destroy someone's reputation, it was just an error. 'Sorry guv, it won't happen again. I'm sure you understand. We didn't really mean to do it.' If Joe Hockey win's his case against Fairfax, he can at least be sure that Fairfax did not attack him because they don't like Tony Abbott's government?

Did The Sun and The News of the World do nasty things in the UK? Of course. Was there ever any evidence of The Daily Telegraph and The Australian doing exactly the same thing in Australia? Not a scrap, but it didn't stop the left from trying to hold similar inquiries here.

I don't know why Andrew Bolt decided to publish his article without checking the facts. I've read plenty of his articles and I like much of what he says, but he does work for a tabloid newspaper, not that is a good excuse.

No, it was a Party Political broadcast on behalf of the Australia is a great place for going down the beach and having a good time, party, Party.

Tune out of politics. Leave that boring stuff to us politicians. Concern yourself with what really matters, being the fortunes of your footy team, just how you will be able to afford to world beating overinflated housing, taking care not to fall of the ever increasing speed induced roundabout of fiscal insecurity, work insecurity and don't bother yourselves about retirement and pensions as you'll unlikely to arrive at one and as such not need the other. Your government has your interests at heart.......just not always apparent.

There are no excuses for a sick and psychotic ideology. I wonder if those who directly suffer in the hands of their extreme psychotic actions should look into and accept their side of their argument? I also wonder if those whose religion has been used as a smokescreen with a twisted set of ideologies should accept their side of their argument?

This thread must be a very intriguing read for individuals who are outside of the PomsinOz community….specifically for those who are 'researching' for very good reasons in terms of their national interest.

It is rather obvious who suffers as a result of all extreme and psychotic actions. The innocent of course. Never been any different has it? If not religion then equally political desires from a particular ideological outlook used as smokescreens to obtain desired result. Note Vietnam War, Iraq War.

Ahh, that answers one of my questions on the conditions of the PNG camps under Labour….

Well no hardly answers much. There was a long time duration after Abbott came into power where the government did nothing. Indeed more could have been said after a few weeks but this government chose to use the children as pawns in politicking. Disgusting and almost as bad as the lies told when this lot where last in power claiming seekers of asylum threw their children overboard and getting the navy involved in deceit as well. Rebounded on them thankfully.

I don't know. Do you? How do the courts decide whether a newspaper article has defamed someone or not?

If he wins, then according to the leftie rule, it is just a mistake by the usually vigilant Fairfax Press (unlike Murdoch papers.)

If he loses HOW DARE HE CRITICISE FAIRFAX!?

Well no hardly answers much. There was a long time duration after Abbott came into power where the government did nothing. Indeed more could have been said after a few weeks but this government chose to use the children as pawns in politicking. Disgusting and almost as bad as the lies told when this lot where last in power claiming seekers of asylum threw their children overboard and getting the navy involved in deceit as well. Rebounded on them thankfully.

What? Six years of Labor doing nothing after creating the problem in the first place, but it was only after Abbott came to power, that the situation in the camps was worthy of investigation?

Er, quite a few people actually. 15000 marched in Melbourne last Sunday for example

How many consenting adults and how many kids ?

Anyway 15000 is about a third of 1 percent of Melbourne's population of 4.4M people, so not really an overwhelming turnout.

I cant believe you are still rattling on about this subject..Give it a rest..I mean who really cares?

Those still under lock and key for one. The 28,000 living in the Australian without any rights or help. Unable to work and reliant on the good will and compassion of agencies and individuals.

We'll maintain the rage and the rattling on about this subject until the grubby politics has been dissolved and the politicking over human lives to score populist brownie points has ceased. May well be a long duration.

Guest Amelie
How many consenting adults and how many kids ?

Anyway 15000 is about a third of 1 percent of Melbourne's population of 4.4M people, so not really an overwhelming turnout.

Well, Melbourne did make the world news that day…..it hosted the ICC Cricket World Cup…..and well done to Australia, who won.

Guest Amelie
It is rather obvious who suffers as a result of all extreme and psychotic actions. The innocent of course. Never been any different has it? If not religion then equally political desires from a particular ideological outlook used as smokescreens to obtain desired result. Note Vietnam War, Iraq War.

Generalising and making excuses for a psychotic ideology.

A big wave to those who are outside of the PomsinOz Community reading this thread….

Generalising and making excuses for a psychotic ideology.

A big wave to those who are outside of the PomsinOz Community reading this thread….

Hardly generalising or making excuses when the results are self evident to all us in the area. Besides there are reports galore from varied sources describing outcomes within detention centres and those left stranded within the community.

I don't see why you bother answering with regards an issue that obviously you care little about as well as residing in another country.

It is a major issue for many thinking people in Australia as well as for those that have to deal with the results of treatment incurred.

What's with your fetish with regards waving? You could just as well bare your breasts as is in vogue in Europe and be a real Fem Liberator.

Edited by flag of convenience