Housing market - credit crunch

Generalis

Guest earlswood
The dummy sold signs i refer to are on new build propertys built by developers.

If you are selling a house in the u.k to purchase a house in the u.k it dont really matter

Because although you will get a reduced price on the house you sell you will also get a reduced price on the property you purchase therefore it is all relative.

Now as most on here are looking to emigrate then your basically looking to cash in and all i am saying is that it better to cash is sooner rather than later.

Ok say you sold your house tomorrow and had to drop by 20k and the housing market drops by say 5% your still have done ok.

Hold out for a a price your never going to achieve and it drops by 12-20% in 2 years and ouch.

And if its all pie in the sky then why is persimmon homes laying half its workforce off.

Followed next week by taylor wimpey & Barratt Homes.

100% if you get a fair offer....take it....or wait till the prices drop another 20%....house prices have nosedived over here also so you will not lose out big time.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wardy

In which case the opposite may happen, they will put a price too low on it just to shift it quick to the first person who may be interested.

Actually that didn't happen he originally put the highest value on it only by £5k and in our case the buyers offered us 13k less than we settled for the EA told them in no uncertain terms we would not accept their offer and got them up.

I think you are generalising not all EA's are bad or offer bad advise (unpopular opinion I know)

Our agent sold it within 3 weeks with 2 offers recently, there has been a couple of problems but not with our EA, not sure paying someone a coomission based fee would have done any better and I would have to have paid £1200 more.

not to frighten anyone however having worked in the new build housing business for a number of years this is the worst for at least 15 years. The main reason other than the credit crunch is a combination of the media scare mongering and the first time buyers are not getting 100% mortgages or are to scared to purchase, therefore the market is slowing. In reality interest rates are down so repayments are cheaper, as long as inflation does not get too out of control, it should just level out towards the end of the year.

With regards to the housebuilders you are correct, there has been nearly 2000 redundancies in new housing with the multi nationals cutting back the most. Barratt Homes lost so much off their shares two weeks ago they broke the restrictive covenants imposed on them for their borrowing as the company value plummeted. Things will get better though as the banks are refinancing them, if it was to get worse the banks would not be prepared to help these companies out.

On a positive note the builders are not building at the moment so there is more of a chance of selling if the right person comes along as new houses are not available.

I have two houses to sell, but Iam not panicking yet, houses will start moving but at a slower rate. Good luck to everyone trying to sell their house, it will go but in reality will take longer than normal.

Ill stop now as iam starting to ramble on a bit.

Chris Bensmum oh

Funny you should say that we have a dummy sold sign just gone up it seems to be happening more and more round here. We are close to completing and so is someone else up the road, but we are not sold but these signs have gone up. They no longer use under offer just sold.

Not neccessarily, not if you negotiate a fixed fee sale. I did and no matter how much we sell for I wont pay them more than £800 :nah:

Just to let people know the difference in selling property in Oz ....we have a quote to sell our house for $440000...cost $12000 ....yes that is correct...money for nothing...puts our 1000 pound flat fee for UK property to shame :err:

not to frighten anyone however having worked in the new build housing business for a number of years this is the worst for at least 15 years. The main reason other than the credit crunch is a combination of the media scare mongering and the first time buyers are not getting 100% mortgages or are to scared to purchase, therefore the market is slowing. In reality interest rates are down so repayments are cheaper, as long as inflation does not get too out of control, it should just level out towards the end of the year.

With regards to the housebuilders you are correct, there has been nearly 2000 redundancies in new housing with the multi nationals cutting back the most. Barratt Homes lost so much off their shares two weeks ago they broke the restrictive covenants imposed on them for their borrowing as the company value plummeted. Things will get better though as the banks are refinancing them, if it was to get worse the banks would not be prepared to help these companies out.

On a positive note the builders are not building at the moment so there is more of a chance of selling if the right person comes along as new houses are not available.

I have two houses to sell, but Iam not panicking yet, houses will start moving but at a slower rate. Good luck to everyone trying to sell their house, it will go but in reality will take longer than normal.

Ill stop now as iam starting to ramble on a bit.

Chris Bensmum oh

deal or no deal some you lose some you win. It is just like the game show when is the right time to deal? Personaly do not panic but my situation does not realying on the funds of the house sale to finance oz. But I do agree with benmum.

Just to let people know the difference in selling property in Oz ....we have a quote to sell our house for $440000...cost $12000 ....yes that is correct...money for nothing...puts our 1000 pound flat fee for UK property to shame :err:

Yes Oz Estate Agents make about double UK agents and all we can doin the UK is moan about it. Part of the reason for leaving the negative attitude of the UK behind.

Now off to the Maserati showroom on the Gold Coast:biglaugh:

Guest kenpom

I have to say that the housing markets need to drop substantially. Houses are very very over priced and a lot of this is to do with greed and bloody awful banks handing money out hand over fist to any Tom Dick or Harry.

It's going to be a very hard and dark couple of years I think especially in the UK.

We are in NZ and trying to sell our house and have dropped over $60K off of our price to drum up some interest.

Have a look what you get for your money ove here in NZ

For Sale Trade Me Property & New Zealand Real Estate - Fabulous Family Home in Portobello - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Time to get real

:yes:

I have to say that the housing markets need to drop substantially. Houses are very very over priced and a lot of this is to do with greed and bloody awful banks handing money out hand over fist to any Tom Dick or Harry.

It's going to be a very hard and dark couple of years I think especially in the UK.

We are in NZ and trying to sell our house and have dropped over $60K off of our price to drum up some interest.

Have a look what you get for your money ove here in NZ

For Sale Trade Me Property & New Zealand Real Estate - Fabulous Family Home in Portobello - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Time to get real

:yes:

Well said I totally agree.

Guest Pinhead

I agree none of the estate agents in my area would even entertain a flat fee. Fortunately over the last couple of years all of their rates have dropped to 1.25%-1.0%

Guest Pinhead

I'm aware of the selling rates in Oz for EAs so yes I think UK rates are very good.

The plus side of Oz is that all EA are regulated and have to complete qualifications.

Guest beermeister

Agree that Oz EA's charge about double that of UK EA's....but, the difference is like chalk and cheese. UK EA's wouldn't have a bloody clue how to sell a house - my previous EA was more interersted in the colour of her nails than selling my house.

Guest barab
Agree that Oz EA's charge about double that of UK EA's....but, the difference is like chalk and cheese. UK EA's wouldn't have a bloody clue how to sell a house - my previous EA was more interersted in the colour of her nails than selling my house.

D you even know what Oz EA do ????? Nothing ...they are not double but 5 times what we paid and they do nothing for that money I have experiance of this.

Guest beermeister
D you even know what Oz EA do ?????.

Sure do...sold 3 houses in Oz over the course of history, now onto 4th.

• 1 month later...
Guest beardy brood

we've had the same worrys as you our house has dropped 15,000 since feb but the house prices in queensland are falling as well before april you could'nt find a house for less then 500,000 dollors in Narangba now there is quiet a lot under this they reckon they have come down by 6% so this will compensate for what we have lost on ours.

Narangba April 2009

Kerry, Adrian, Laura 17, Aiden 14, Caitlin 9

:sad:well im sitting here and we have a viewing at 4pm, we just dropped our price by another ten grand yersterday , this makes 20 since march! the people have just been to take photo's for the rental company so its today or rent . our ea told us to drop by 20 grand this week, so total would be 30!! and be brave she said if you want a sale, it will get people thtough the door.... yikes were not that brave!! we are really going to strugle to get to oz as all our money is in bricks and shares and b$$$ger all doing for now, so good luck to all of you, thats if this viewer even turns up the one last week didn't even show!!:no:

:sad:well im sitting here and we have a viewing at 4pm, we just dropped our price by another ten grand yersterday , this makes 20 since march! the people have just been to take photo's for the rental company so its today or rent . our ea told us to drop by 20 grand this week, so total would be 30!! and be brave she said if you want a sale, it will get people thtough the door.... yikes were not that brave!! we are really going to strugle to get to oz as all our money is in bricks and shares and b$$$ger all doing for now, so good luck to all of you, thats if this viewer even turns up the one last week didn't even show!!:no:

That is SO irritating, when people don't even have the courtesy to show up to your house viewing!! I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty selling the house and shares. Some shares I have were up to £25.00 each in the winter last year, now I don't think they're worth the paper the certificates are printed on. Good luck, hope things change for you soon xx

Mrs Tyke xx

hi thanks, guess what ?? this one was a no show too!! arrrrrrrggggggggggg dont people think you have alife and have better things to than cleaning like mad and farming out the kids and dog to have a show home look, man you all have my symphathy there should be a bl..dy law against this , hipp packs?? why dont they take deposits for viewings that would be a fab stealth tax for them to introduce!!! sorry...................

hi thanks, guess what ?? this one was a no show too!! arrrrrrrggggggggggg dont people think you have alife and have better things to than cleaning like mad and farming out the kids and dog to have a show home look, man you all have my symphathy there should be a bl..dy law against this , hipp packs?? why dont they take deposits for viewings that would be a fab stealth tax for them to introduce!!! sorry...................

Oh Sharon, I'm so sorry. Can't you get your EA to ring these people just beforehand to make sure they intend turning up?

Just a thought :wubclub:

Mrs Tyke xx

Archived