Housing market - credit crunch

Generalis

Guest itskaren
Hi all,

Dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but I've read a fair bit about house prices in Oz and from what I can tell they are still on the up. Hopefully they are slowing down compared to last year - Perth certainly is but Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne are all 15%+ growth in the past 12 months with more predicted although at a slower rate. I really hope you are right TheBrammies in what you are saying about the crunch affecting the world market but I am not convinced.....

Cheers funkzig

I've just read a report that states Melbourne property prices have fallen by 8% and will be another 10% by the end of next year....?? I guess it is different what you read anc hear so many conflicing things. x

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pinhead

Karen

Are you sure that's not a volume drop rather than a price drop?

The last info I saw (this week) was that Melbourne actual prices had dropped less than 1% in the last quarter (on The Age website). Having still risen in the previous quarter.

Or was that a drop in the annual growth rate?

Last year (2007) prices rose 22% I believe so it could be that.

Perth is falling the most due to the (mining driven) bubble bursting. Sydney has been flat for over 4 years.

QLD with it's strong international & interstate migration seems to be holding up the best.

Guest BRISSYBOUND
hi thanks, guess what ?? this one was a no show too!! arrrrrrrggggggggggg dont people think you have alife and have better things to than cleaning like mad and farming out the kids and dog to have a show home look, man you all have my symphathy there should be a bl..dy law against this , hipp packs?? why dont they take deposits for viewings that would be a fab stealth tax for them to introduce!!! sorry...................

Deposits for not turning up,now that's a good idea if you get enough of them it'll make up for the price fall.If you think not showing up is bad, wait till someone makes an low offer that you accept and then pulls out.

Guest itskaren
Karen

Are you sure that's not a volume drop rather than a price drop?

The last info I saw (this week) was that Melbourne actual prices had dropped less than 1% in the last quarter (on The Age website). Having still risen in the previous quarter.

Or was that a drop in the annual growth rate?

Last year (2007) prices rose 22% I believe so it could be that.

Perth is falling the most due to the (mining driven) bubble bursting. Sydney has been flat for over 4 years.

QLD with it's strong international & interstate migration seems to be holding up the best.

I read this in the 'Investing Property' magazine recently (july addition). It was the authors opinion I think but I could not really see any stats to prove it? I'll see if I can copy and paste it. I must admit it did seem a bit much!

Guest funkzig

Morning all,

We are hopefully going to be moving to Oz next year and I always keep an eye on rates, markets etc with a view to getting some kind of feel for what the economic climate will be like (both UK and Oz) when we a)sell our UK house, b)transfer our money and c)buy an Oz house.

Please see following link for an interesting view on things.

Westpac tips big RBA rate cut | NEWS.com.au

I find this site useful, especially the property element.

Cheers

Funkzig:smile:

Archived