Need advice on a 457 visa

the4larkins

Hi,

Here's our story so far....

My OH has been offered a job as Mechanic Trainer on a 457 with a company who is not yet registered for sponsorship. The application for sponsorship was applied for on the 30th of June and they only wanted to start with stage1 and leave the nomination and us applying till they receive the go ahead to sponsor. The Immi department requested more info from them in the 3rd week of July and they submitted it at the end of July, we are yet to hear any news. After a concerned email to his new employers that our house is ready to proceed with a sell and that we have been holding off on our end and we need to push forward with the other stages, they have finally agreed to do it without the results from stage 1....do you think think this will speed things up?

Our big concern is... The job was advertised as Mechanic trainer (but can be a qualified Mechanic willing to train), my husband is currently employed as this at a college in the UK. He is a trained Mechanic to a level 3 which was completed in April 2013 and has completed his first part of his assessing qualification in July 14 (level 3). What would be the best occupation for them to put him through as for the skills assessment...Mechanic or Vocational Trade Assessor. His work experience is that of a Mechanic within the College workshop from April 2013 till October 2013 when they took him on as a lecturer. Whilst studying Mechanics (Level 3) he worked voluntary at a garage for a year.

Will he be ok? From what i've read, being from the UK he doesn't need to be assessed on a 457 as a mechanic ....is this true for Vocational Trade assessors too? Or am i completely wrong? Really want to go ahead with the sell of the house so it all ties in together, which means we can all go over at the same time :) ....wishful thinking?

Hope someone can help :notworthy:

Anna

There is no skills assessment for 457. You only need to provide evidence of the required skill.

A 457 is a temporary visa. I wouldn't do anything like selling your house prior to grant of the visa. Even then, there is a lot of risk. What if the sponsoring company don't get their approval to sponsor? You'd really be up the creek!

I am not sure about the answer to your question but in your shoes I would hold off selling until later on. I have seen too many 457 visas fall through at the minute. In fact more that the jobs have fallen through at the last minute.

We actually rented our house whilst on a 457 (for 2 years) so we would have somewhere to move back to in case DH lost his job or any other of the possible scenarios happened and we had to leave Australia. Not saying you should do that but just want to check you have thought about all your options if it doesn't work out which does happen unfortunately.

There is no skills assessment for 457. You only need to provide evidence of the required skill.

A 457 is a temporary visa. I wouldn't do anything like selling your house prior to grant of the visa. Even then, there is a lot of risk. What if the sponsoring company don't get their approval to sponsor? You'd really be up the creek!

Not sure if this applies to all 457 but we needed skills assessment for ours last year. 457 always has a negative press on here but it can be a means to an ends for some. We are lucky visa approved & arrived 4mths after the job offer. A year in we are been sponsored for PR by the company. So for us it was a permanent move. Ive met people recently who've arrived on PR visas & only stayed in oz 5mths & gone home because they couldn't find work so at least we've secured employment before we arrive & take the leap of faith

We too have gone through the 457 route. First one for 4 years and then applied for another 457 and 186 simultaneously. 457 granted, then a few months later PR granted. That was our means to an end, so it all worked out well in the end.

If you were only one year into your 457 then you'd need an assessment due to being less than 2 years with the employer.

I think you are being fool hardy with the house sale. I wouldn't sell my house for a 457 visa at all and I certainly wouldn't be selling for a 457 visa I don't even have yet!

This employer has not sponsored before, they might not even get approved as a sponsor and considering this was applied for in June, I would have to assume it is not going to be straight forward.

You would be well advised to stop what you are doing with the house, rather than try to speed things up with putting in your part of the application. The company's plan of waiting was far more sensible.

Hi,

Here's our story so far....

My OH has been offered a job as Mechanic Trainer on a 457 with a company who is not yet registered for sponsorship. The application for sponsorship was applied for on the 30th of June and they only wanted to start with stage1 and leave the nomination and us applying till they receive the go ahead to sponsor. The Immi department requested more info from them in the 3rd week of July and they submitted it at the end of July, we are yet to hear any news.

This is a concern as 457 Sponsorships are being processed quite quickly at the moment. The fact that that it has been 2 months since lodgement and further documents have been requested could indicate that there are issues. Did the company use an Agent or have they applied themselves?

After a concerned email to his new employers that our house is ready to proceed with a sell and that we have been holding off on our end and we need to push forward with the other stages, they have finally agreed to do it without the results from stage 1....do you think think this will speed things up?

I would not recommend making any irreversible decisions such as selling a house before a visa has been approved. Considering that not even the first stage (sponsorship) has been finalised, I would not recommend selling your home.

Our big concern is... The job was advertised as Mechanic trainer (but can be a qualified Mechanic willing to train), my husband is currently employed as this at a college in the UK. He is a trained Mechanic to a level 3 which was completed in April 2013 and has completed his first part of his assessing qualification in July 14 (level 3). What would be the best occupation for them to put him through as for the skills assessment...Mechanic or Vocational Trade Assessor. His work experience is that of a Mechanic within the College workshop from April 2013 till October 2013 when they took him on as a lecturer. Whilst studying Mechanics (Level 3) he worked voluntary at a garage for a year.

The occupation to nominate will depend on the duties of the position and the type of company he will be working for. The skill requirement will then depend on the occupation.

Archived