Abbot govmint Gaffe Watch

Harpodom

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Citizen for 31 years, no British passport. How about you?

Odd how you've got it in for ordinary Aussies then with that time behind your belt. Don't care much for Australia then and the land of a fair go? Prefer the introduction of class and wealth politics? Sadly some migrants just don't quite get an understanding on our Aussie "true blue "ways.

Odd how you've got it in for ordinary Aussies then with that time behind your belt. Don't care much for Australia then and the land of a fair go? Prefer the introduction of class and wealth politics? Sadly some migrants just don't quite get an understanding on our Aussie "true blue "ways.

How do you define 'ordinary Australians?'

The land of the 'fair go' is also the land that hates 'bludgers', i.e. people who won't work but are happy to let others do so, and live off their graft.

I know pleny of 'true blue' Aussies, who absolutely despise the bludgers who connive to obtain a disability pension, which they then often supplement by working on the side. Unfortunately, there are too many of these bludgers, hence Tony Abbott's win.

Well, the Russian bear has been well and truly poked (or 'shirtfronted'), and he's a judo champion, so Aboot had better watch out!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/14/tony-abbotts-threat-to-shirtfront-putin-immature-russian-official

[h=1]Tony Abbott’s threat to ‘shirtfront’ Putin ‘immature’, Russian official says[/h]

Tony Abbott’s threat to “shirtfront” Vladimir Putin has been labelled as “immature” by a Russian embassy official, who pointed out while Abbott may be a fit cyclist, the Russian president was a judo champion.

Embassy second secretary Alexander Odoevskiy also told Guardian Australia that the west, including Australia, had lost interest in the investigation into the crash of MH17, with Abbott preferring instead to play politics and conduct “megaphone statements and muscle flexing”. He also accused Bill Shorten of “unfriendly language”.

Odoevskiy said the Russian government had received no request from Abbott for a bilateral meeting during the G20 summit. He characterised Australian-Russian relations as at a “historic low”, compared with a high under the Howard government.

“We don’t treat it as tough language, we treat it as immature language,” Odoevskiy said.

“From a personal perspective, I would just say that Tony Abbott is very good at cycling, he is very fit, but president Putin is a judo champion.”

Odoevskiy said Abbott’s comments were directed almost entirely at a domestic audience, as not many people outside Australia would know what the term “shirtfront” meant. It generally refers to a front-on chest bump or rough handling, a move which Odoevskiy pointed out was illegal.

“I had to do research on it. Personally I note this is no longer used in the current game. It is outdated, it is illegal and you do get penalised for it,” he said.

“We are reluctant to comment officially on the statements. They are not helpful in any way, we are concentrating on making peace in Ukraine. We have 100,000 refugees from Ukraine in Russia. It’s very difficult so we are not involved in exchanging megaphone statements and muscle flexing.”

Odoevskiy said, in spite of the megaphone diplomacy, the west had lost interest in the investigation into MH17. He said at the crash site – where 298 passengers and crew were killed when MH17 was shot down – there were still large pieces of the Malaysian Airlines plane.

“There have been a lot of question marks raised by the Russian ministry of defence which have been unanswered by Australia, Holland and Kiev,” he said.

He said Russia had “co-operated from day one” of the MH17 crash, while Australia sponsored a UN resolution condemning the shooting down of the plane and demanding full access to the site.

“We all know from day one, [Australian] leadership promoted the start of a blame game and it was not helpful to real investigation,” Odoevskiy said.

“My feeling is more could be done to put people on the ground. There is lots of evidence, on the ground, large fragments on the ground, still lying there. In a normal investigation, those pieces would have been collected. The aircraft would have been reconstructed [but] the west has lost interest. Everyone talks about politics. This is frustrating.”

He described Russian relations at an “historic low”, down from the high in 2007 when former prime minister John Howard invited Putin to separate bilateral meetings during the Apec summit.

“That was a big success, then relations were on a historic high. Now under this Liberal government, relations are on a historic low,” he said.

“Then the Coalition took a stance to develop a relationship with Russia … since then the bilateral relations are on historic lows due to recent developments.”

Abbott rejected Russian criticism of his comments as immature and refused to back away from his colourful description – repeating that the “plane was brought down by Russian-backed rebels using Russian-supplied equipment”.

“We have all seen the impact of Russian policy in eastern Europe, we have all seen the impact of Russian policy on the innocent people on board flight MH17.

“I think it’s the very least I can do, speaking for Australian dead and the families of Australian dead and indeed speaking for the world’s victims is to have a very robust conversation with president Putin.”

Asked why his office had still not requested a one-on-one meeting with Putin, Abbott said the G20 was still a month away and his program was still being finalised.

“I certainly expect while he’s a guest of Australia, he will undertake to have a conversation with the Australian prime minister,” Abbott said

:biglaugh:

How do you define 'ordinary Australians?'

The land of the 'fair go' is also the land that hates 'bludgers', i.e. people who won't work but are happy to let others do so, and live off their graft.

I know pleny of 'true blue' Aussies, who absolutely despise the bludgers who connive to obtain a disability pension, which they then often supplement by working on the side. Unfortunately, there are too many of these bludgers, hence Tony Abbott's win.

The reality being the bludgers are of course the speculators, wouldn't know a risk or a hard days work if it slapped them in the face. All too long money for little, adding to the pain of ordinary Aussies caught up in spiralling house prices, indeed a life of servitude to pay inflated costs in a country of increasingly part time and temp work. Why wouldn't these folk find themselves on the dole periodically? It is how the system works. Instead of constantly blaming those at the blunt end with a reliance of a particular benefit in order to survive (not to live) why not blame a system that creates that need in the first place?

True blue Aussies differ from the oiks that whine away on talk back radio, with their red neck and ignorant utterance with no little help from the shock jobs, whose job it is to cause sensation to keep up ratings, but the ones that go about their everyday lives regardless of the adversity of bad government and declining welfare rights, being required to work ever longer in a system ever favouring the rich and well heeled in society.

No one should forget that 38 Australian citizens and residents were murdered by Russian backed separatists.

Shot out of the sky on MH17. Of course hundreds others died too.

So to say Tony Abbott should be statesman like to Vladimir Putin is ridiculous.

I hope he does shirt front him (metaphorically) and let him know how disgraceful his actions have been in Ukraine.

Of course it is a good thing that drownings have been stopped, I just call BS on those who proclaim that cruelty is the only way to achieve this.

I also call BS on any reffo basher who resorts to the 'drownings argument' when they've previously said they couldn't give a toss about the lives of *actually alive* asylum seekers in detention