Cafe Manager - Skills Assessment VETASSES

Deh

Hi everyone! I was wondering if any Cafe Manager out there has done skill assessments with Vetasses. I'm soon-to-be on a 457 visa but thinking ahead already. My occupation is not an easy one to get the PR so I'm gathering as much info as I can to see what I can do.

I can wait 2 years to apply under the Temporary Residence Transition Stream (186) but things change quick here. As I don't want to take chances I would like to apply for the Direct Entry Stream (186) - and to do that I need my skills assessment done. I could also try the Skilled Nominated Visa (190) but it's only accepted in the Northern Territory or maybe in ACT (limited). Either way I need the bloody Vetasses assessing my skills.

My question is what do I need to present to get a positive result... how many years of experience, documents and so forth.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks =)

Thank you for the link, very helpful.

It seems not so hard to achieve, if anyone has gone through this process please give me a light. Pretty sure it's harder than it looks. Have been searching around and came across few cases of people who got negative results even having many years of experience but no formal qualification or formal qualification but only 3, 4 years of experience in the field.

I hold a Degree in Business back in my country (4 years - finished in 2006), a Certificate IV in Business and also a Diploma in Business done here (finished in 2012). Have 2 years of experience as a Cafe Manager (part time) and soon will be working full time (waiting for my 457). Will it be enough?

Thanks =)

Thank you for the link, very helpful.

It seems not so hard to achieve, if anyone has gone through this process please give me a light. Pretty sure it's harder than it looks. Have been searching around and came across few cases of people who got negative results even having many years of experience but no formal qualification or formal qualification but only 3, 4 years of experience in the field.

I hold a Degree in Business back in my country (4 years - finished in 2006), a Certificate IV in Business and also a Diploma in Business done here (finished in 2012). Have 2 years of experience as a Cafe Manager (part time) and soon will be working full time (waiting for my 457). Will it be enough?

Thanks =)

You can of course, read the link and determine this yourself as well.

So I would say your qualifications would not be considered relevant, therefore you need at least two years of work experience in the last five years. You say you worked part time, how many hours per week does that mean?

You can of course, read the link and determine this yourself as well.

So I would say your qualifications would not be considered relevant, therefore you need at least two years of work experience in the last five years. You say you worked part time, how many hours per week does that mean?

I've read the link and thought I would be fine, not sure of what they consider 'relevant'... I work 20 hours per week, same employer and same role for the past 2 years. As he is opening up a new place and therefore needs a full time manager he ofered to sponsor me in December 2013. Still waiting for the visa outcome but quite sure it will be positive. Anyway, could you clarify what is a relevant qualification? It has to be full time? I had to edit the post as before I was talking about education instead of qualification. Thanks!

I've read the link and thought I would be fine, not sure of what they consider 'relevant'... I work 20 hours per week, same employer and same role for the past 2 years. As he is opening up a new place and therefore needs a full time manager he ofered to sponsor me in December 2013. Still waiting for the visa outcome but quite sure it will be positive. Anyway, could you clarify what is a relevant qualification? I imagined it was same one requested for the 457 (which I do have ).

Well relevant would be some kind of café manager / hospitality qualification. You have business degrees so I would logically conclude not relevant. You are just about there on work experience then, but it is close...

Right. But to get a 457 the ask for Management or Business degree/diploma... Thought by having a 457 for Cafe Manager would mean I do have the level of education needed. I do understand they can say I don't have enough experience though...

Right. But to get a 457 the ask for Management or Business degree/diploma... Thought by having a 457 for Cafe Manager would mean I do have the level of education needed. I do understand they can say I don't have enough experience though...

Seems you already know the answers then. In any case not sure why it matters, if you have two years work experience it doesn't matter whether your qualification is relevant or not.

:rolleyes:

Actually I'm still not sure... reckon I can prove the education thing but was hoping to have someone who applied to tell me if part-time experience counts... they are not clear about it and I couldn't find this piece of information anywhere. Didn't want to move forward and spend about $600 for nothing. Thank you anyway, Pumpkin :)

Vetassess specify work experience must be relevant, paid employment of at least 40 hours per fortnight at the required skill level.

I would estimate that the majority of refusals you've seen in this occupation have something to do with the relevance of the experience against the ANZCO tasks and duties, this seems to be something that Vetassess overcomplicate on occasions.

Vetassess specify work experience must be relevant, paid employment of at least 40 hours per fortnight at the required skill level.

I would estimate that the majority of refusals you've seen in this occupation have something to do with the relevance of the experience against the ANZCO tasks and duties, this seems to be something that Vetassess overcomplicate on occasions.

This sounds great! I can prove I've been doing 40 hours per fortnight and my duties do match with whatever ANZCO requires. Unless they find something else to put me off looks like I do have the education and qualification needed to be assessed.

Much appreciated your help!

They (and the DIBP) can get a little het up about what a café or restaurant actually is, so often it's a good idea to include some information on the establishment you've been managing.

Also worth noting that ENS direct entry requires 3 years of relevant employment so you're still going to have to wait a while if going down that route.

They (and the DIBP) can get a little het up about what a café or restaurant actually is, so often it's a good idea to include some information on the establishment you've been managing.

Also worth noting that ENS direct entry requires 3 years of relevant employment so you're still going to have to wait a while if going down that route.

Yeah, we had a huge headache when applying for nomination as the CO didn't want to approve it as - in his own words - a cafe is a small establishment and doesn't need a manager (the one I work for has a good size though). Luckily it is in the past now.

Thanks for the heads up, wasn't aware of those 3 years of experience for 186!

As far as 457 visas go..They are a joke..cafe manager?..are you serious?

Yep 'Café or Restaurant manager' is on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List - If you read a lot of the information coming out of the hospitality industry as a whole, skill shortages are quite widespread and they'd welcome the ability to bring in more overseas workers especially in regional areas.

• 1 month later...

Hello! A friend ofmine told me if I apply for the Direct Entry Stream (after getting a positive assessment from Vetasses) and for some reason it's refused I'll have my time on 457 back to zero. Has anyone ever heard such thing? Next year I'll complete 3 years working as a Cafe Manager and would like to apply for the 186,instead of waiting 2 years to apply under the Temporary Transition, but if it's refused apparently I'll have to work for 2 more years instead of just 1 to go under the Temporary thing. Does it make any sense? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

He said his lawyer advised him to wait 2 years to apply on the Transition Stream instead of trying the Direct Entry because if things didn't go well he would 'lose' 1 year spent on 457. I'm having a look on the Immi website but couldn't find a hint yet

I think you should obtain professional advice based on your specific situation as listening to advice from friends based on information they received for their own situation will only get you into trouble.

Based on what you have said so far, 186 Direct entry will not be an option as you require a skills assessment and 3 years of post-qualification, full time, employment experience.

Part time employment (20 hours per week) is suitable for the skills assessment but not for the Direct Entry employment requirements.

I think you should obtain professional advice based on your specific situation as listening to advice from friends based on information they received for their own situation will only get you into trouble. Based on what you have said so far, 186 Direct entry will not be an option as you require a skills assessment and 3 years of post-qualification, full time, employment experience. Part time employment (20 hours per week) is suitable for the skills assessment but not for the Direct Entry employment requirements.
Hi Raul. I will definitely seek professional advice, but I do like gathering as much information as I can. May I ask where did you find the information about part-time employment? Booklet 11 (http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1406.pdf) defines "employed" as "having worked in paid employment for at least 20 hours a week". Of course it's possible I'm not even looking on the right Booklet, but it doesn't hurt asking. Thanks.

Hi Raul. I will definitely seek professional advice, but I do like gathering as much information as I can.

That’s a good strategy, just be mindful of the source of the information, as not all of it will be accurate.

May I ask where did you find the information about part-time employment? Booklet 11 (http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1406.pdf) defines "employed" as "having worked in paid employment for at least 20 hours a week". Of course it's possible I'm not even looking on the right Booklet, but it doesn't hurt asking. Thanks.

The booklet you are referring to covers many different visa types, all of which have their own Regulations. It does highlight in my opinion that you cannot rely on general information from Immigration. In this case, the information in the booklet is misleading by defining Employed as “Having worked in paid employment for at least 20 hours a week.” This is correct for many visa types, however, it is not correct for satisfying the 3 year employment requirement for the Direct Entry pathway of the Subclass 186 visa.

For Direct Entry the Regulations state the applicant has been employed in the occupation for at least 3 years on a full-time basis ...” This requirement is further quantified in detail by Immigration Policy. This is not something that you will easily find unless you study the Regulations and Policy, as even the Immigration website is not clear on this point.

Archived